Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts needs and potential draft pick in 2022 draft

I could see Wentz missing 3-4 games which could allow Indy to keep their 1st round pick from Philly.

With that said, there are glaring needs on this roster that Ballard must address in 2022, both in the draft AND free agency.

1. CB

2. WR

3. OT depth

4. DL depth

5. LB depth

First and foremost, this team needs a longterm #1 lockdown corner. Rock isn't it. Secondly, getting a speedster who's also a great route runner at WR is a must, to go along with Pittman Jr. A Darnell Mooney type WR would be perfect for this offense. I think these are the most glaring needs Indy has.

To round out their needs, Indy could certainly use a good depth OT who can play both LT and RT, and play it well. Same goes for DL and LB depth, as we can always use waves of pass rush and run defense, and reliable tacklers if Leonard or Okereke are out. 

A player I would love the Colts to target in round 1 would be CB Kaiir Elam, from Florida. He is slated to be available in the mid 1st round area. He has the length and comparisons to a Xavier Rhodes. 

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I could see Wentz missing 3-4 games which could allow Indy to keep their 1st round pick from Philly.

With that said, there are glaring needs on this roster that Ballard must address in 2022, both in the draft AND free agency.

1. CB

2. WR

3. OT depth

4. DL depth

5. LB depth

First and foremost, this team needs a longterm #1 lockdown corner. Rock isn't it. Secondly, getting a speedster who's also a great route runner at WR is a must, to go along with Pittman Jr. A Darnell Mooney type WR would be perfect for this offense. I think these are the most glaring needs Indy has.

To round out their needs, Indy could certainly use a good depth OT who can play both LT and RT, and play it well. Same goes for DL and LB depth, as we can always use waves of pass rush and run defense, and reliable tacklers if Leonard or Okereke are out. 

A player I would love the Colts to target in round 1 would be CB Kaiir Elam, from Florida. He is slated to be available in the mid 1st round area. He has the length and comparisons to a Xavier Rhodes. 

Missing only 3-4 games does not allow us to keep our first round pick.   The snap numbers were in the 70-75 percent range.

That means missing roughly 5 games.   That might happen, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

Just saying…..

The NFL is no doubt a passing league and to compete the Colts will need to make some future decisions with end of season expiring contracts of T.J. Carrie, George Odum, and Nick Nelson.  Where the Colts do lack at having a top defensive player is at Outside CB.  The Colts could benefit from younger CB stars as both Rhodes and Carrie’s age starts to become a concern and their play diminishes.  Khari Willis ranked by PFF #24 best safety in 2020 so doubt the Colts would target another SS early, but we do need depth.  Carrie is playing at a very high level while Moore and RYS are not having too bad of a season.  

This season so far, on defense, I would say Safeties and LBs are looking good but the IDL is struggling.  RDT Tyler Davis (Clemson) is someone I like in Round 2 to compete with Stewart.  RDT John Franklin-Myers (NYJ) would be a dream FA addition to pair up next to Buckner.  Kwity Paye is proving himself.  Lewis and Muhammad need to pick up the pace.  The other thing the Colts will have to make determinations about is concerning our defensive lineman with expiring contracts of Muhammad, Rochell, Turay, and Lewis along with DT’s Stallworth, Windsor, and Chris Williams.  Am really expecting the Colts late in the draft to pursue backup players for the DL such as RDT Dante Stills (West Virginia), LDT Zachary Carter (Florida), and/or RDT Phidarian Mathis (Alabama). 

Our DB depth is a concern but looking at the draft if the Colts have a Round 1 pick then am expecting the Colts to target CB Derek Stingley (LSU), CB Kaiir Elam (Florida) or CB Ahmad Gardner (Cincy).  Otherwise in Round 2 we target CB Roger McCreary (Auburn), CB Tariq Castro-Fields (PSU), CB Alontae Taylor (Tennessee) or LCB Matt Hankins (Iowa).  Then am projecting the Colts to look to add FS or SS depth starting in Round 4 and later.

I realize the Colts don’t utilize SLB Franklin or Adams much in the defensive game plan, but both are UFA’s after this season and either SLB Merlin Robertson (Arizona St) or Mike Rose (Iowa State) would be a great addition in Round 3.  Okereke is probably playing better ball than Leonard these first few weeks but during the off-season we will have to figure out what to do about Skai Moore who is on IR as we don’t really have a decent backup behind Okereke.  Another quality MLB in Round 3 is Nate Landman (Colorado) to consider challenging Okereke.  MLB Leigthon Vander Esch (Cowboys) would be a solid FA acquisition.

On offense, Glowinski is proving to be a top guard and needs to be resigned.  Both Fisher and Smith are playing well.  Taylor and Hines are proving to be a solid RB group.  Without top QB play our wide-outs looking like second-string fantasy draft players but still a solid group without Hilton and appears to be a low priority in FA/Draft.  Don’t get me wrong would love to add WR Courtland Sutton (Broncos) to replace Hilton.

If Doyle does leave that will create a major hole at tight-end.  In the draft the Colts could have a chance to draft either TE Cade Otton (Washington) or TE Greg Dulcich (UCLA) in Round 2 or TE Cole Turner (Nevada) and TE Isaiah Likely (Coastal Carolina) also in Round 2 -3 range.  Ryan Kelly’s play has been down this season.  Two players OC Alex Forsyth (Oregon) and RG/C Ben Brown (Ole Miss) would be great depth additions to our OL am projecting Round 3.

To recap in Round 3, I am figuring that we could target OL or LBs mainly as depth to chance to start, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we drafted a TE.  Although CB Coby Bryant (Cincy) and FS Kenderick Duncan JR (Lousiville) are also on my big board to consider.

In Round 4 and on, expect the Colts to add to their RB group as both Mack and Wilkins are UFAs.  Both RB Kennedy Brooks (Oklahoma) and RB Max Borghi (Washington State) would be solid additions to our ground game.  If healthy, I would like to see the Colts resign Mack as he has been a proven RB and already knows our system.

I have a bad feeling that the cap space is going to be very tight for the Colts this off-season to resign players leaving the Colts on the bottom available cap room.  Do we keep a lot of our Edge players who will be UFAs?  Only one player in FA, RDE Edge Josh Sweat (Eagles), would be on my radar.  Below is my list for potential draft DEs:

Edge Depth

·         DE Ali Gaye (LSU)

·         LDE DeAngelo Malone (Western Kentucky)

·         DE Amare Barno (Virginia Tech)

·         LDE Jermaine Johnson (Florida State)

·         LB/Edge Mitchell Agude (UCLA)

·         LDE Ochaun Mathis (TCU)

·         RDE Sam Williams (Ole Miss)

·         Nelson Paul (SMU) - UDFA

We can continue to build a solid team, but a lot will hinge on having a solid QB we can trust and count on.  When does Arch Manning become draftable after Lane Kiffin coaches him up at Ole Miss or is it too soon to break out the crystal ball?

OT

Fisher is an aging veteran and besides Braden Smith Colts have no depth. Drafting a potential successor for Fisher and carrying a reliable third Option that can take over in a few years makes a lot of sense.

CB

There is Rhodes and Kenny Moore and not much else. Rock Ya-Sin is a disappointment so far and Colts need a starter opposite of Rhodes. 

WR

TY Hilton is aging and deals with injuries and Parris Campbell just can't stay healthy. Both could be gone next season and Colts need a reliable option to pair with Pittman, Paschal and Strachan.

LB

Okereke is struggling. How great it would be to have another weapon next to Leonard. 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:18 PM, NewColtsFan said:

The head coach has a brand new 6-year contract.     He'll have 5 more seasons after this one.

He is loved and respected by both the GM and the Owner.    Frank Reich isn't going anywhere.

I do not care how many yrs his contract is for. This year could still be saved with some bold decisions. If FR does not relinquish the play calling duties to a younger more innovative play caller I would fire him today,,,, yes I said TODAY! He is responsible for the injuries to Wentz and the Offensive line for his boring, slow developing and predictable play calling. HE MUST BE MADE ACCOUNTABLE. 

Wentz needs put on a 3game IR, Film study of some of the better Offensive units will show faster/upbeat play calling

After looking over the upcoming NFL rookies entering the draft, teams will have to decide whether to draft an older rookie or keep what they have on roster.  Between the pandemic and transfer portal teams need to be prepared to make these upcoming decisions.  For example do we resign someone like Kemoko Turay who is 26 or draft a player who will be 24 like LSU's Ali Gaye?

17 hours ago, onebad150 said:

I do not care how many yrs his contract is for. This year could still be saved with some bold decisions. If FR does not relinquish the play calling duties to a younger more innovative play caller I would fire him today,,,, yes I said TODAY! He is responsible for the injuries to Wentz and the Offensive line for his boring, slow developing and predictable play calling. HE MUST BE MADE ACCOUNTABLE. 

Wentz needs put on a 3game IR, Film study of some of the better Offensive units will show faster/upbeat play calling

yelling GIF

Don't need to all caps yell.

Ok, it's waaaaaaay too early.  But here's a scenario:  The season bombs.  Big time.  We win only 5 games, however, by injury or whatever, Wentz is out enough that we retain our 1st round pick.  Let's just say it's pick #8.

First - We trade down.  From 8th to 20th, getting a 2nd round pick in return (52nd).

Pick 20 - Jaxson Kirkland, LT, Washington

Pick 52 - David Bell, WR, Purdue

Pick 72 - Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington

I know, I know.  It's waaaaaay too early.  Just thinking out loud.

5 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Ok, it's waaaaaaay too early.  But here's a scenario:  The season bombs.  Big time.  We win only 5 games, however, by injury or whatever, Wentz is out enough that we retain our 1st round pick.  Let's just say it's pick #8.

First - We trade down.  From 8th to 20th, getting a 2nd round pick in return (52nd).

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:
5 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Thanks for saying "nothing", my friend.

I know that I deserved a pretty heavy "are you kidding me?!?!?!?" for that post.  :D 

6 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Don't hate it at all. Although I'm not sure Kirkland goes that high. I do like him alot though. Also from Washington (the theme here), I'm not sure Kyler Gordon isn't better than Trent Mcduffie IMO.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Thanks for saying "nothing", my friend.

I know that I deserved a pretty heavy "are you kidding me?!?!?!?" for that post.  :D 

No worries.   I had actually written a post, and then caught the error in my writing.   But when I erased it, I accidentally triggered the function that posts my material.   So I erased what wrote because I figured out the flaw in my thinking. 

But it was still going to be recorded as a post.   Even if what I wrote was gone.   Some might say it was my best post in a long, long time!   That’s a long way of saying… no harm, no foul! 

:thmup:

On 9/24/2021 at 10:18 PM, NewColtsFan said:

The head coach has a brand new 6-year contract.     He'll have 5 more seasons after this one.

He is loved and respected by both the GM and the Owner.    Frank Reich isn't going anywhere.

Hopefully the GM and Owner love and respect their children but please do not use that as a reason to make them the head coach. 

Archived