Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reasonable QB Strategy if Wentz is out: Discussion and Poll

EastStreet

Reasonable QB Strategy if Wentz is out: Discussion and Poll  

109 members have voted

1. 1. If Wentz is out a few games, what do you do?

• Stay the course with Eason, sink, or swim.
    • Start Hundley
    • Sign Cam Newton (only FA of note) to start
    • Sign another FA to start (see link,, list who)
    • Trade for a starter QB with draft capital (somebody else's current backup, list who)
    • Trade for a starter QB using our players instead of draft capital (list QB, and the players you'd trade)
    • Find a starter on someone's practice squad (anyone you like?)
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. If Wentz is out 4 or more games, what do you do?

• Stay the course with Eason, sink, or swim.
    • Start Hundley
    • Sign Cam Newton (only FA of note) to start
    • Sign another FA to start (see link,, list who)
    • Trade for a starter QB with draft capital (somebody else's current backup, list who)
    • Trade for a starter QB using our players instead of draft capital (list QB, and players you'd trade)
    • Find a starter on someone's practice squad (anyone you like?)
    • Other (please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2021 at 08:02 AM

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

See you say Pittman. Nickster says Doyle.. lol.. We have no clue what the first read was. We do know Wentz is rightfully hearing footsteps from a very big man. 

Lol.  I feel you East.  Now I know we have the advantage of replay & slo mo but watch that YouTube clip again at half speed.  He clearly wanted Doyle or something quick over the middle.  The middle was congested. The openings were outside.  The swing to Hines or the slant to Pittman are both open.  Put it on either and give them a chance to beat 1 guy for the 1st.  

I watched many plays last week that looked just like this one.  He took big hits because he either hung on his 1st read too long or he didn’t read the defense correctly or at all.  Then try to scramble and take a big hit instead of getting rid of it.  It was only a matter of time before an injury occurred playing like that.  

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

It would be a great story if Eason played well and we won. If the oline can get things together and protect him it’s not out of the question.

He had his chance yesterday and threw right too Ramsey, just plain awful. I don't hate Eason (not about that) but no thanks. If he plays against the Titans we will get smoked so get prepared for it.

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

We absolutely need to sit Carson if we fall out of a playoff race early to regain our 1st. Willis or Corral with our first. No one else excites me with the qbs.

Wentz sitting might happen organically if he gets hurt again behind this OL. And in a scenario where Wentz is hurt bad enough to miss several games and they get a very early pick, they absolutely draft a QB like Willis, fire Reich and bring in some young guy OC.

I am kidding about the firing Reich part, but I love Willis as a prospect.

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Lol.  I feel you East.  Now I know we have the advantage of replay & slo mo but watch that YouTube clip again at half speed.  He clearly wanted Doyle or something quick over the middle.  The middle was congested. The openings were outside.  The swing to Hines or the slant to Pittman are both open.  Put it on either and give them a chance to beat 1 guy for the 1st.  

I watched many plays last week that looked just like this one.  He took big hits because he either hung on his 1st read too long or he didn’t read the defense correctly or at all.  Then try to scramble and take a big hit instead of getting rid of it.  It was only a matter of time before an injury occurred playing like that.  

I expect him to have a higher TtT out of the gate as a new QB in a new system, with new pass catchers.

And his gelling has been delayed by foot injury, then bad OL, and now ankle.

He's still as quick or quicker than Rodgers lol. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He had his chance yesterday and threw right too Ramsey, just plain awful. I don't hate Eason (not about that) but no thanks. If he plays against the Titans we will get smoked so get prepared for it.

He threw it to Ramsey because he had to throw over two defenders just to get it to Doyle. Same exact play they ran around the 9:00 mark earlier that quarter. Except that time Doyle was wide open as the first read. I guess they thought the LAR wouldn't notice haha.

And with Eason playing in his first ever NFL game, I am guessing he was Doyle or nothing on that play (after talking with Reich).

If he starts the TEN game, this offense that can't even put up 20 points in a game might struggle to put up 10. It could get very ugly, especially if the OL doesn't hold up.

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

With apologies to @John Waylon, I gotta echo the exact same words:

We made our bed, now we gotta lay in it.

I concur. Although I have no real faith in Eason but he's here, he's healthy and he should know the playbook as well as anyone. Additionally I don't want to give up any draft capital for another qb, especially the ones that look like they'd be available. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most people voted stay the course, that means you literally don't care about this season and want that 1st round pick. I understand that approach, this is going to be a long season. 

Who you going to go get? Eason knows Thr system. Bringing someone in on a weeks notice to play would be dumb.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most people voted stay the course, that means you literally don't care about this season and want that 1st round pick. I understand that approach, this is going to be a long season. 

With the way they have looked so far, No other QB is going to come in and make this a playoff team.. If they sign someone they will have to learn the playbook, ect to be efficient. 

Ans who’s to say the offensive line would block for them, or the defense would stop anyone?

Wentz gave them best chance to win, no one else they will find is going to give them an any higher chance. Colts just take the Ls, get guys healthy, and keep the 1st.

Eason is a 4th round project quarterback who didnt even dress until this preseason, where he looked pretty bad against 2's, 3's and players who probably arent even on a team right now. Not to mention completely vanilla defenses. Nobody knows exactly what he will be yet but betting that he is not ready nor talented enough to start in this league would be considered a safe bet in the gambling world.

1 minute ago, bravo4460 said:

With the way they have looked so far, No other QB is going to come in and make this a playoff team.. If they sign someone they will have to learn the playbook, ect to be efficient. 

Ans who’s to say the offensive line would block for them, or the defense would stop anyone?

Wentz gave them best chance to win, no one else they will find is going to give them an any higher chance. Colts just take the Ls, get guys healthy, and keep the 1st.

I do get that thinking. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Who you going to go get?

Cam for just 1 year. Cam is way better than Eason. You ask me that question and see I answered. Unlike people that throw Frank under the train tracks wanting him gone when I have asked all of them who you going to get that is a better coach?? Not 1 person has answered my Frank question, I answered yours.

I took Eason on both.  The Legend of Tom Brady started very similarly. Sat his entire rookie season.  Starter goes down in week 2 of year 2 and he’s forced to finish the game.  They lose that game and are 0-2.  Sound familiar?  The next week was against their “division rival” (ironically our Colts).  They win in a romp and go 10-3 the rest of the way and go on to win the Super Bowl….  If Tom Brady could do it, why can’t Eason?  We are facing our “division rival” Titans next week.  Season on the line.  And that Tom Brady wasn’t Tom F’ing Brady of today.  In fact he played only ok in his start.  He just had a great team around him.

We’ve got the team.  Everybody lift their level of play and help the kid out in his first start.  Sounds too good to be true huh?  Sounds like a movie or something?  Well we will be on HBO this year…  So let’s go BIG.  We should all be praying that Frank is the QB Guru that we all think he is because Eason can get it to anywhere on the field that Frank wants him to put it.  The Legend of Jacob Eason begins next week in Tennessee.  And I’m thinking I might be in attendance for it…. Go Colts.   :rock: :lombardi:  :colts:   

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I took Eason on both.  The Legend of Tom Brady started very similarly. Sat his entire rookie season.  Starter goes down in week 2 of year 2 and he’s forced to finish the game.  They lose that game and are 0-2.  Sound familiar?  The next week was against their “division rival” (ironically our Colts).  They win in a romp and go 10-3 the rest of the way and go on to win the Super Bowl….  If Tom Brady could do it, why can’t Eason?  We are facing our “division rival” Titans next week.  Season on the line.  

We’ve got the team.  Everybody lift their level of play and help the kid out in his first start.  Sounds too good to be true huh?  Sounds like a movie or something?  Well we will be on HBO this year…  So let’s go BIG.  We should all be praying that Frank is the QB Guru that we all think he is because Eason can get it to anywhere Frank wants him to put it.  The Legend of Jacob Eason begins next week in Tennessee.  And I’m thinking I might be in attendance for it…. Go Colts.   :rock: :lombardi:  :colts:   

I hope you are right, if it happens I will be shocked but very happy. I hope Eason plays like Peyton.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

See you say Pittman. Nickster says Doyle.. lol.. We have no clue what the first read was. We do know Wentz is rightfully hearing footsteps from a very big man. 

I'd be really surprised if this play wasn't to Doyle.  He's wide open and there is no OLB off the LOS on the right side of the formation which makes it really easy to slide in where Doyle did.  He looks right at Doyle and decides not to throw.  He wasn't looking at other guys because they hadn't come out of their breaks yet.  He should have made this play, IMO.

For a guy who doesn't really want to talk about this play, you seem to be talking about it a lot.  

I agree he's probably and well should be gun shy, but nonetheless, looking at this again, it was an excellent play call that should have been completed for a 1st.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Blaming Wentz is silly. 

He was under pressure all game. Donald crashed the line quickly and Wentz tried to step up.

If he caved every time he got pressure, he wouldn't make half the plays he does.

I don’t know why I keep watching this play because I keep getting angrier.  :flaming:  There isn’t a defender within 6 yards of Pittman from pre snap to snap to the end of the play.  They’re basically conceding a catch too him with that kind of cushion. 

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I don’t know why I keep watching this play because I keep getting angrier.  :flaming:  There isn’t a defender within 6 yards of Pittman from pre snap to snap to the end of the play.  They’re basically conceding a catch too him with that kind of cushion. 

The thing some in here including @EastStreetdon't seem to grasp is, Wentz has had guys wide open on these 4th down plays and didn't adjust. They just blame Frank for the play call. Any QB that can see the field would improvise and throw it to the wide open guy despite the play call. Last week he had Hines wide open on that 4th down play but took a sack. It is all Frank's fault though Jersey Shore Omg GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

22 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I took Eason on both.  The Legend of Tom Brady started very similarly. Sat his entire rookie season.  Starter goes down in week 2 of year 2 and he’s forced to finish the game.  They lose that game and are 0-2.  Sound familiar?  The next week was against their “division rival” (ironically our Colts).  They win in a romp and go 10-3 the rest of the way and go on to win the Super Bowl….  If Tom Brady could do it, why can’t Eason?  We are facing our “division rival” Titans next week.  Season on the line.  And that Tom Brady wasn’t Tom F’ing Brady of today.  In fact he played only ok in his start.  He just had a great team around him.

We’ve got the team.  Everybody lift their level of play and help the kid out in his first start.  Sounds too good to be true huh?  Sounds like a movie or something?  Well we will be on HBO this year…  So let’s go BIG.  We should all be praying that Frank is the QB Guru that we all think he is because Eason can get it to anywhere on the field that Frank wants him to put it.  The Legend of Jacob Eason begins next week in Tennessee.  And I’m thinking I might be in attendance for it…. Go Colts.   :rock: :lombardi:  :colts:   

Bledsoe was a 29 year-old vet QB...Wentz will turn 29 in December.

It's the 20th anniversary of that season as well.

Other than not having BB as HC, the only problem I see, and maybe it's just a minor thing, but Eason just doesn't appear to be very good. 

But it would make for great TV.

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

That is true, but the 1st read is to the right side it appears.  Look how open Doyle is between 5 and 6 secs.  

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

He had Hines in the flat as well. 

Hines had TWO touches this entire game...the second game after giving him that shiny new contract extension. And they both came on the 2:00 minute drill in the 1st half.

20 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I'd be really surprised if this play wasn't to Doyle.  He's wide open and there is no OLB off the LOS on the right side of the formation which makes it really easy to slide in where Doyle did.  He looks right at Doyle and decides not to throw.  He wasn't looking at other guys because they hadn't come out of their breaks yet.  He should have made this play, IMO.

For a guy who doesn't really want to talk about this play, you seem to be talking about it a lot.  

I agree he's probably and well should be gun shy, but nonetheless, looking at this again, it was an excellent play call that should have been completed for a 1st.

It was pretty clearly to Doyle. They had been featuring him all game (which is interesting to put it nice) and Wentz is clearly looking at Doyle and then pump fakes instead of throwing it. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The thing some in here including @EastStreetdon't seem to grasp is, Wentz has had guys wide open on these 4th down plays and didn't adjust. They just blame Frank for the play call. Any QB that can see the field would improvise and throw it to the wide open guy despite the play call. Last week he had Hines wide open on that 4th down play but took a sack. It is all Frank's fault though Jersey Shore Omg GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

Exactly. Frank isn’t blameless but Wentz isn’t doing Frank and the team any favors.  Guys have been open on lots of our critical 3rd or 4th downs.  The kind of downs that can change a game because they extend drives or lead to points or just burn clock and keep the other team off the field.  Momentum killing miss reads or inability to read the defense properly.

Also, so many times in the red zone or about 30 yards going in with Strachan 1 on 1 on the boundary with no safety help…  Where are the fades and corner routes?  Wentz finally attempted one after missing seeing the opportunities 3 other times but of course the corner was playing off and had safety help so he threw it out of bounds…  I just can’t tell what the hell Wentz is seeng and doing out there sometimes. 

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We've had long season's since the Luck debacle. People want the winning ways of the Peyton years back...I get it though

31 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Wow. If he had just stayed in the pocket and quickly went through his progressions he would of had him. That ball should of been snapped and out.

I am with a lot of people who say Wentz isn’t seeing things quick enough yet therefore maybe causing some of the line issues.

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It was pretty clearly to Doyle. They had been featuring him all game (which is interesting to put it nice) and Wentz is clearly looking at Doyle and then pump fakes instead of throwing it. 

And he is just so open.  The OLB #58 was walked up on the line, making this an easy play if CW throws it.  The OLB can easily drop flat there and intercept or bat down any slant to Pittman.  Pittman appears open but is not pre snap or post snap.  Pre snap with the LB walked up makes the play to Doyle, and it appears that CW just kinda freezes.  

It looks like he might have even audibled to Doyle with the OLB walked up.  

Either way, it was a good play call, and dude was open and CW missed him.  

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That is true, but the 1st read is to the right side it appears.  Look how open Doyle is between 5 and 6 secs.  

I’m fine with putting the pass on Doyle.  But he can’t pump it and pull it down and not know where to go next with it.  Plus I love Doyle, but judging from how the defense was aligned and there was never a defender within 6 yards of Pittman on the play, the first read should have been throwing it to the guy (my number 1 receiver) who they have decided not to cover.  I feel bad for Wentz because he probably needs time to improve on some things under live fire but he keeps getting injured. 

Just now, Smoke317 said:

I’m fine with putting the pass on Doyle.  But he can’t pump it and pull it down and not know where to go next with it.  Plus I love Doyle, but judging from how the defense was aligned and there was never a defender within 6 yards of Pittman on the play, the first read should have been throwing it to the guy (my number 1 receiver) who they have decided not to cover.  I feel bad for Wentz because he probably needs time to improve on some things under live fire but he keeps getting injured. 

That play looks like something he should of noticed presnap and audible out of it. Rivers would have diagnosed that right away before the snap.

Archived