Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reasonable QB Strategy if Wentz is out: Discussion and Poll

EastStreet

Reasonable QB Strategy if Wentz is out: Discussion and Poll  

109 members have voted

1. 1. If Wentz is out a few games, what do you do?

• Stay the course with Eason, sink, or swim.
    • Start Hundley
    • Sign Cam Newton (only FA of note) to start
    • Sign another FA to start (see link,, list who)
    • Trade for a starter QB with draft capital (somebody else's current backup, list who)
    • Trade for a starter QB using our players instead of draft capital (list QB, and the players you'd trade)
    • Find a starter on someone's practice squad (anyone you like?)
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. If Wentz is out 4 or more games, what do you do?

• Stay the course with Eason, sink, or swim.
    • Start Hundley
    • Sign Cam Newton (only FA of note) to start
    • Sign another FA to start (see link,, list who)
    • Trade for a starter QB with draft capital (somebody else's current backup, list who)
    • Trade for a starter QB using our players instead of draft capital (list QB, and players you'd trade)
    • Find a starter on someone's practice squad (anyone you like?)
    • Other (please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2021 at 08:02 AM

With apologies to @John Waylon, I gotta echo the exact same words:

We made our bed, now we gotta lay in it.

If we believed that Eason was absolutely unable to play this game, then we should have replaced him before now.

If we believed that Ehlinger was absolutely unable to play this game, then we should never have drafted him.

We didn't do that.

Which means we roll with them.

Please remember, these are the guys who got all the reps during preseason.  Wentz got a grand total of, what, 5 reps?  Maybe?  Let's hope that all that practice time bears some kind of fruit.

If it is true that these guys should never be allowed onto an NFL playing field, then we need to criticize our player evaluation abilities, and decision making.

Otherwise, they suit up and play.

We made our bed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not if the OL is a siv.

Wentz's injury is 100% on Reich and Ballard.

It's not a "Carson can't stay healthy" thing. 

Anyone who gets Donald-rolled like that is going to twist an ankle/knee.

There is NO culpability. QB's running as part of the offense is a standard.
 That Carson's leg whipped like it D falls on him if anything, but **** happens!
   It's a shame. He played very well, exceeded a lot of people's expectations i'm sure.
 I would love to have our 1st round pick next year and draft 10th or better. And starting 1-4 would not have been a surprise to many considering our schedule.
 Miami is going to be fun with Brissett as the starter.
 Pittman did what should be there week in and week out.
 Doyle did good. We MUST get our running game going. I guess i'm missing Castonzo!!
 Fisher was pretty good though considering all things.

• Thanks 1

I think we can all agree that what we have seen from Wentz so far has seemed good. Good enough that we dont want to trade for yet another "starter" until he is back - that would be a waste of draft capital.

We have to believe in our backups, that is why they are our backups and not on the street. It isnt ideal, but it is what it is....

Despite being 0 - 2, this season isnt over. IF Wentz can go, i believe in this team to give the Titans a run for their money next week, and if we win that game, at 1 - 2 with a head to head tine over the titans we are actually in a decent spot, with a Dolphins team coming up with many of their own questions and then a backend of the schedule that is very favorable.

If Wentz is out, then we have to roll with Eason and hope he can get more prepared and schemed around for the Titans game. 

Equally, if we lose to the Titans and go 0 - 3, it isn't over just yet.... but it definitely doesnt bode well. Regardless of what happens, i'll be tuning in and watching the Colts every week. I think most of us on here suffered through the Curtis Painter / Dav Orlovsky year in 2011.... we can deal with this year too. There is always next year if this season gets away from us,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Minshew has thrown 37 TD's and only 11 INT's.  93.1 rating for his career on a very bad Jax team.

Let’s remember those numbers are produced in an era where every QB has a 65% completion rate and puts up Star Wars numbers. Doesn’t hurt his team is often playing from behind. He doesn’t turn the ball over but that’s about the only positive in his game. His arm is severely limited. He was on the trading block all summer and the league didn’t have much interest until the Eagles found out Joe Flacco was greatly diminished. Also, acquiring a QB in the regular season hardly ever works out. Jimmy G had some

success but he also sat for three weeks before playing. 

7 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Let’s remember those numbers are produced in an era where every QB has a 65% completion rate and puts up Star Wars numbers. Doesn’t hurt his team is often playing from behind. He doesn’t turn the ball over but that’s about the only positive in his game. His arm is severely limited. He was on the trading block all summer and the league didn’t have much interest until the Eagles found out Joe Flacco was greatly diminished. Also, acquiring a QB in the regular season hardly ever works out. Jimmy G had some

success but he also sat for three weeks before playing. 

I'm not wanting Minshew on the Colts, I was just responding to the comment that he hasn't done any more than Eason when he has.  

29 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

There is NO culpability. QB's running as part of the offense is a standard.
 That Carson's leg whipped like it D falls on him if anything, but **** happens!
   It's a shame. He played very well, exceeded a lot of people's expectations i'm sure.
 I would love to have our 1st round pick next year and draft 10th or better. And starting 1-4 would not have been a surprise to many considering our schedule.
 Miami is going to be fun with Brissett as the starter.
 Pittman did what should be there week in and week out.
 Doyle did good. We MUST get our running game going. I guess i'm missing Castonzo!!
 Fisher was pretty good though considering all things.

When we made the investment in Wentz (draft capital and the highest paid on our roster), Reich and Ballard both talked about the commitment to support Wentz. They are responsible for providing a quality OL. They failed in that department. Signing JAG depth when you know Fisher is going to be late for the party, simply isn't providing support. Not making adjustments like leaving a RB in when you can't stop the DL is a failure to adjust.

There is culpability.

12 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

That ship has sailed...but Chad is a very talented QB...better than any of our backups.

If he's available, not sailed. He's as good as any FA not named Cam that's left.

Knows the system, and cheap.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dingus McGirt said:

Your solution is whom?

Cam Newton may not be the player he was once, but NFL experience is priceless. Eason looked so bad in pre-season, 0 starts in an NFL regular season. Oline is playing bad. Defense is playing bad, its a nightmare situation for a backup who has never played a snap.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

When we made the investment in Wentz (draft capital and the highest paid on our roster), Reich and Ballard both talked about the commitment to support Wentz. They are responsible for providing a quality OL. They failed in that department. Signing JAG depth when you know Fisher is going to be late for the party, simply isn't providing support. Not making adjustments like leaving a RB in when you can't stop the DL is a failure to adjust.

There is culpability.

We had running backs in on most every play. It is Wentz and their job to read and react. And that includes quickly going to the flat as a quick release target when it looks appropriate. 
 I believe it is a group think tank that includes the position coaches as that scours the possibilities for depth pickups. We had at least 3 tackles that were known to be backup quality to coach up as best we could. Don't you think that is similar to the other 31 teams?? And hopefully at least one of them steps up to play the best football they ever have as a Colt. 
 Q clearly doesn't have his normal power in his legs yet. Kelly likely is playing with a less than 100% left arm and has missed a lot of strength conditioning on his upper body. No Smith. That IS NOT Ballards fault. Our line was very healthy all of last season. Unfortunately , the injury bug has caught up with us. 
 Such is life.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We had running backs in on most every play. It is Wentz and their job to read and react. And that includes quickly going to the flat as a quick release target when it looks appropriate. 
 I believe it is a group think tank that includes the position coaches as that scours the possibilities for depth pickups. We had at least 3 tackles that were known to be backup quality to coach up as best we could. Don't you think that is similar to the other 31 teams?? And hopefully at least one of them steps up to play the best football they ever have as a Colt. 
 Q clearly doesn't have his normal power in his legs yet. Kelly likely is playing with a less than 100% left arm and has missed a lot of strength conditioning on his upper body. No Smith. That IS NOT Ballards fault. Our line was very healthy all of last season. Unfortunately , the injury bug has caught up with us. 
 Such is life.  

We knew we would not have a LT to start the season.

We also knew our depth sucked last season.

The guys we picked up were not known to be "quality" guys. They were on the cheap.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Im blown away how many people are willing to throw away the season letting Eason take the reigns lol. A few games...ok...4 or more though are playoff chances are likely done.

Hey, i hoped we would have a good pass rush and really good running game that might lead us to 11 wins. With everyone playing pretty well, and they are not, optomism for the playoffs felt good.
 1-4 looks very possible now. And so is 8-9 or worse. Teams have seasons like that. We are young. So this should not be a surprise that our Hopes & Dreams get smacked by reality. Be a fan, watch us get better as individuals and as units, and 
Go Colts!!!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Im blown away how many people are willing to throw away the season letting Eason take the reigns lol. A few games...ok...4 or more though are playoff chances are likely done.

Wouldn’t matter if Tom Brady was available, no one is going to come in and make a deference  right now. Hopefully Carson can come back at some point, until then just hold down the fort and pray we get healthy.

I don’t really see any reason to do anything other than roll with Eason or sign a FA. We already have picks tied up in one QB, no need to tie up more draft capital in a mediocre product that likely won’t get you to the playoffs, i.e. Nick Foles, Gardner Minshew, etc

Don't get me wrong, those guys aren’t horrible, but we need a QB who can elevate the team, not manage it, if we want to make the playoffs.

Short of that, you take Eason (and I guess maybe Ehlinger, or maybe some FA you think might be better) and roll with him the rest of the season. Finally see what you have invested draft capital in, save your first round pick, and win 3-4 more games the rest of the year. Get a top-ten pick, invest in a stud WR or pass rusher or LB or DB in the draft, try again next year.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not if the OL is a siv.

Wentz's injury is 100% on Reich and Ballard.

It's not a "Carson can't stay healthy" thing. 

Anyone who gets Donald-rolled like that is going to twist an ankle/knee.

I agree that the injury is on the line, but Carson will never last playing like he does.  It's just like Luck.  Can't play NFL football like a gung ho HS kid in league.  Even though I didn't "like" it when I was younger, we need CW to curl up in the fetal position ala Peyton Manning some times and live to fight Deebo another day.  Put the gun down Carson.   Wentz is trying to win a game there in the 4thm, but throughout the game he holds too long and puts himself in danger.  Wilson and Rodgers hold for ever too, but are much better at not getting killed out there. 

So I agree about this particular ankle, but never having really watched Wentz, it doesn't take long to see why he's hurt all the time. 

First I'm hopeful Wentz will be back out there this week. Ice the ankles and rest him until game time. Fingers crossed he can go.

If not I'd roll with Eason and Ehlinger. If they suck at least we get our first back next year and know where we stand at the QB position moving forward.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Blaming Wentz is silly. 

He was under pressure all game. Donald crashed the line quickly and Wentz tried to step up.

If he caved every time he got pressure, he wouldn't make half the plays he does.

Disagree with your analysis on this play watching it again.  Doyle is wide open for a 1st here.  Needed to be thrown.  But as I general rule I do agree that our line is getting CW killed.

This is a play that should have been made. Doyle is open for an easy pitch and catch at 6 secs on the video.  Wentz fails to pull the trigger.  

27 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I agree that the injury is on the line, but Carson will never last playing like he does.  It's just like Luck.  Can't play NFL football like a gung ho HS kid in league.  Even though I didn't "like" it when I was younger, we need CW to curl up in the fetal position ala Peyton Manning some times and live to fight Deebo another day.  Put the gun down Carson.   Wentz is trying to win a game there in the 4thm, but throughout the game he holds too long and puts himself in danger.  Wilson and Rodgers hold for ever too, but are much better at not getting killed out there. 

So I agree about this particular ankle, but never having really watched Wentz, it doesn't take long to see why he's hurt all the time. 

He'd be fine if the OL protected him, and wouldn't need to play hero if the D improved, and we started scoring TDs in the RZ.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

He'd be fine if the OL protected him, and wouldn't need to play hero if the D improved, and we started scoring TDs in the RZ.

Although what you say may be true, he hasn't been fine so far in the league avoiding injury.  After watching him play, I am sure he puts himself in danger at a higher percentage than you would want from your starter.  But wholly agree on the state of the line.  It's horrendous.

Did you watch that injury play again?  CW has to get that ball to Doyle.  Doyle has about a two yd cushion from the nearest.  Wentz seems to see him.  Yes Donald smashes him after that, but that's a play that has to be made.  

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Disagree with your analysis on this play watching it again.  Doyle is wide open for a 1st here.  Needed to be thrown.  But as I general rule I do agree that our line is getting CW killed.

This is a play that should have been made. Doyle is open for an easy pitch and catch at 6 secs on the video.  Wentz fails to pull the trigger.  

When you are getting beat up all game, you don't have confidence. You must constantly look around. If pressure was just an occasional thing, I would agree. But it's all the time. I don't expect Wentz to have eyes in the back of his head to watch out for constant pressure, and have absolute command of the field. It's a snowball effect. And even downs when the OL holds, he's still only able to devote so much to vision. 

But again, thank you for your input. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

When you are getting beat up all game, you don't have confidence. You must constantly look around. If pressure was just an occasional thing, I would agree. But it's all the time. I don't expect Wentz to have eyes in the back of his head to watch out for constant pressure, and have absolute command of the field. It's a snowball effect. And even downs when the OL holds, he's still only able to devote so much to vision. 

But again, thank you for your input. 

Oh I agree on the getting beat up thing.  But he has to pull the trigger there just the same.  Play is designed to get that very match up most likely with the OLB walked up on the left side of line.  

Great play call, wide open receiver.  Battered QB hesitates and misses an easy 1st down and gets injured.

And you are welcome for the input East. 

2 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Should the Colts get Smith back and Fisher can play to expectation - the OL will gel and be what we fans expect.  In that scenario, Eason should be OK.  No young QB can be expected to do well when running for his life.  JMO

Thank you Dingus.
 See Mahomes in the 2020 SB.
  Can you Imagine that KC didn't have a couple of good backup tackles.
 They were guilty of trying to ruin Mahomes career, right? The audacity of not signing good backups!!! Someone needed to be fired for that!! 

Just kidding of course.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Blaming Wentz is silly. 

He was under pressure all game. Donald crashed the line quickly and Wentz tried to step up.

If he caved every time he got pressure, he wouldn't make half the plays he does.

Wentz did double clutch on the throw.  My biggest issue though is that Pittman was again open on the quick slant/in but Wentz was looking elsewhere.  He took at least 4-5 hits in the Seahawks game doing the same thing.  Either the guys he wants to target aren’t getting open or he’s making the wrong read and not getting off of it and to his hot routes quick enough.  He still seems unsure of himself on critical downs. 

It was clear this game thatFrank coached him up.  He came out hitting Pittman early and often on the exact plays he missed last week.  But as the game wore on he would revert back to his bad habits.  I’m beginning to see why Wentz targeted Ertz so much in Philly.  It’s clear he prefers the easier targets right over the middle.  Wentz needs a stud tight end to maximize his effectiveness. 

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Oh I agree on the getting beat up thing.  But he has to pull the trigger there just the same.  Play is designed to get that very match up most likely with the OLB walked up on the left side of line.  

Great play call, wide open receiver.  Battered QB hesitates and misses an easy 1st down and gets injured.

And you are welcome for the input East. 

People/players are not machines. Players perform better when set up for success. Wentz succeeded plenty even though he was set up for failure a lot. I don't expect him to hit every open guy when Donald is lurking. Frankly I don't care about the throw. I care about Wentz getting Philly'd in Indy.

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Wentz did double clutch on the throw.  My biggest issue though is that Pittman was again open on the quick slant/in but Wentz was looking elsewhere.  He took at least 4-5 hits in the Seahawks game doing the same thing.  Either the guys he wants to target aren’t getting open or he’s making the wrong read and not getting off of it and to his hot routes quick enough.  He still seems unsure of himself on critical downs. 

It was clear this game thatFrank coached him up.  He came out hitting Pittman early and often on the exact plays he missed last week.  But as the game wore on he would revert back to his bad habits.  I’m beginning to see why Wentz targeted Ertz so much in Philly.  It’s clear he prefers the easier targets right over the middle.  Wentz needs a stud tight end to maximize his effectiveness. 

See you say Pittman. Nickster says Doyle.. lol.. We have no clue what the first read was. We do know Wentz is rightfully hearing footsteps from a very big man. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

One would think that, had Wentz been in the live practices and preseason games with the rest of the team, these habits would have been spotted and corrected at that time.  One of the many problem that were created by the multiple injuries and spotty attendance during preseason.

Roll with Eason,

No QB your going to find is better than Wentz, and The Colts have already proven they can’t win with him, so I highly doubt they will win with any other QB.

Just Hope Eason doesn’t get killed or hurt by the offensive line