Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Even the commentators weren't fond of the playcalling

bluephantom87

I’ve really enjoyed Vilma the last two weeks I’ll miss him the rest of the season.  He’s done a really nice job or not just telling you what teams are doing and what’s working and what’s not but what another option is and why he thinks that would be better.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Vilma even commented at one point of the game that he would like to see less of the Colts trying to repeatedly run up the gut and stop being so conservative. Wow.

Wow! Vilma is saying what you want to hear. Good stuff.

Yeah!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Wow! Vilma is saying what you want to hear. Good stuff.

Yeah!

Trust me, that's NOT what I want to hear nor did I want to hear about the breakdowns in the secondary or the bad o-line play again this week but it is what it is.

14 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Who?

If you're asking who thought play calling was questionable... Both TV and radio commentators. 

I'm sure the sunshine club will diminish it with the usual "what do they know" type of deflection though.

A good portion of the media (radio, writers, TV) were starting to get knives out last week. It'll be worse this week.

And it always starts somewhere. First comes unhappy fans (there were plenty last week). Then the local media turns because they can't Fred Astaire step away or around the fan sentiment anymore. Then the national guys pick up on it (already happened to an extent last week). 

I'm sure most of the valid criticism though will be swept aside with pivots to injury talk, etc.. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

If you're asking who thought play calling was questionable... Both TV and radio commentators. 

I'm sure the sunshine club will diminish it with the usual "what do they know" type of deflection though.

A good portion of the media (radio, writers, TV) were starting to get knives out last week. It'll be worse this week.

And it always starts somewhere. First comes unhappy fans (there were plenty last week). Then the local media turns because they can't Fred Astaire step away or around the fan sentiment anymore. Then the national guys pick up on it (already happened to an extent last week). 

I'm sure most of the valid criticism though will be swept aside with pivots to injury talk, etc.. 

all the sunshine pumping by fans I find hillarious.  Twitter is full of them. But I am noticing a couple podcasters who are normally positive starting to turn too. Once fans start getting unhappy it usually goes down hill quick.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

all the sunshine pumping by fans I find hillarious.  Twitter is full of them. But I am noticing a couple podcasters who are normally positive starting to turn too. Once fans start getting unhappy it usually goes down hill quick.

I saw plenty of Reich bashing on Twitter when I looked for some reporter stuff earlier.

Local media is predictable. They try to be sunshine guys to keep access. Once unhappy fans start bombarding them, they have to get real. Then they try to sit on the fence so they don't lose access or viewers/listeners. 

The Stampede Blue guys do solid work. A little surprised that guy came out and went straight nuclear talking about how bad coaches keep their jobs. I lol'd.... But it's the truth.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to see the first three quarters.  Colts were in it until the end when Aaron Donald made one heck of a play on third down. Most thought this would be a blow out but we almost won.  Terrible to see Wentz hurt again and I hope he is back soon. This team is very capable of going on a run with Wentz at QB and winning the division 

4 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to see the first three quarters.  Colts were in it until the end when Aaron Donald made one heck of a play on third down. Most thought this would be a blow out but we almost won.  Terrible to see Wentz hurt again and I hope he is back soon. This team is very capable of going on a run with Wentz at QB and winning the division 

From the offensive side of the ball some of the head scratching playcalls (mostly) in the first half helped to contribute to the 3 pt loss. This offense lacks a sense of urgency and has no real identity. Carson has played well enough especially considering how that o-line has fared to give this team a chance. I really thought I would see a lot of misdirection plays with Carson but instead it's more of a up the gut on 1st and 2nd down then hope Carson can make something happen on 3rd down. Remember 7 of the Colt's points came on a blocked punt.

This offense lacks imagination and creativity. It REALLY shows against the better teams of the league. I saw one sweet play to Doyle on a 3rd down to pick up the 1st but that is far and very few in between. On the Rams very first td do you realize their top wr Cooper Kupp was lined up in the backfield as a rb and ran a route from there? You know how many times I've seen Lamar Jackson run a naked boot on the goal line and go untouched? What about slow footed Brady hitting Gronk on a boot at the goal line for a td? Does Frank even have fad routes on his play sheet to utilize our big receivers in the endzone? If so when's the last time you saw it? Three straight runs on the goal line in tight formation up the gut against a stacked superior box doesn't put you in the BEST situation to score. This is starting to remind me of the Chuck days.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

In the post game show on the radio, the Sunshine club was in full force saying it will be alright so on. Used to have some hard questions on that show but its hard to listen to it anymore with the bandstanding and that Greg, Bill and Barry being on the payroll.

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

In the post game show on the radio, the Sunshine club was in full force saying it will be alright so on. Used to have some hard questions on that show but its hard to listen to it anymore with the bandstanding and that Greg, Bill and Barry being on the payroll.

Sunshine and puppy dogs for everyone!!!!! Free rainbows if you grin and bear it like a true believer. 

Same stuff has happened with just about every coach we've ever had at some point lol. The newest xxxx is always "the best" until their not and get fired. Then the sunshine club jumps on board a new boat, and starts again.

The typical cycle is

Step one: Blame the previous leadership, and be a cheerleader 

Step two: Tell everyone your committed to excellence and we're going to win a SB. Ticket sales go up

Step three: Stress patience for the rebuild!

Step four: More patience because guys need to develop

Step five: Blame injury, more patience for healing

Step six: Start talking about execution

Step seven: Fans stop listening, ticket sales go down.

Rinse repeat

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sunshine and puppy dogs for everyone!!!!! Free rainbows if you grin and bear it like a true believer. 

Same stuff has happened with just about every coach we've ever had at some point lol. The newest xxxx is always "the best" until their not and get fired. Then the sunshine club jumps on board a new boat, and starts again.

The typical cycle is

Step one: Blame the previous leadership, and be a cheerleader 

Step two: Tell everyone your committed to excellence and we're going to win a SB. Ticket sales go up

Step three: Stress patience for the rebuild!

Step four: More patience because guys need to develop

Step five: Blame injury, more patience for healing

Step six: Start talking about execution

Step seven: Fans stop listening, ticket sales go down.

Rinse repeat

Game Show Gambling GIF by INTO ACTION

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve really enjoyed Vilma the last two weeks I’ll miss him the rest of the season.  He’s done a really nice job or not just telling you what teams are doing and what’s working and what’s not but what another option is and why he thinks that would be better.

He was an excellent MLB for the Jets and then for the Saints, captain of the defense both times. His pass break up vs Austin Collie on a throw from Peyton in the SB with a timely pass deflection doesn't get talked much about but he was a heady player that I admired.

It is at 6:20 here, where Vilma played his Cover 2 responsibility really well:

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

From the offensive side of the ball some of the head scratching playcalls (mostly) in the first half helped to contribute to the 3 pt loss. This offense lacks a sense of urgency and has no real identity. Carson has played well enough especially considering how that o-line has fared to give this team a chance. I really thought I would see a lot of misdirection plays with Carson but instead it's more of a up the gut on 1st and 2nd down then hope Carson can make something happen on 3rd down. Remember 7 of the Colt's points came on a blocked punt.

This offense lacks imagination and creativity. It REALLY shows against the better teams of the league. I saw one sweet play to Doyle on a 3rd down to pick up the 1st but that is far and very few in between. On the Rams very first td do you realize their top wr Cooper Kupp was lined up in the backfield as a rb and ran a route from there? You know how many times I've seen Lamar Jackson run a naked boot on the goal line and go untouched? What about slow footed Brady hitting Gronk on a boot at the goal line for a td? Does Frank even have fad routes on his play sheet to utilize our big receivers in the endzone? If so when's the last time you saw it? Three straight runs on the goal line in tight formation up the gut against a stacked superior box doesn't put you in the BEST situation to score. This is starting to remind me of the Chuck days.

Really can’t answer any of your questions bc I didn’t watch the first three quarters, don’t know how many times you have seen anything and never have and never will see Reich’s play sheet.   Still, it doesn’t surprise me this offense is vanilla right now. It doesn’t surprise me we lose to good teams. This has always been a fringe playoff team that is capable of sitting at home in January due to slow starts or putting together a good run and winning the division. I don’t think we have the players or the coach to win a championship. I just hope to be competitive and enjoy the games 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I mean, even you have to appreciate the irony of this one given you very much went to die on Brissett hill when @EastStreet was pointing out the obvious flaws early in that season. 

As bad as sunshine pumping is the sky is falling. The truth, as ever, lies in between. If winning cures all in the world of NFL, losing sure makes people feel their ailments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I mean, even you have to appreciate the irony of this one given you very much went to die on Brissett hill when @EastStreet was pointing out the obvious flaws early in that season. 

As bad as sunshine pumping is the sky is falling. The truth, as ever, lies in between. If winning cures all in the world of NFL, losing sure makes people feel their ailments.

lol. Yes, when winning, everyone ignores the flaws or limitations that are pretty obvious. I've taken a lot of flack in the last year for expressing coverage flaw concerns for Blackmon and Willis, and run limitations for Oke. Folks are coming around though now lol...

I'd actually prefer to win, and get the flack though to be honest.

22 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I was asking maybe yelling where are the corner fade routes.  Haven't really had those consistently since Peyton.

• Like 1