Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz updates?

csmopar

14 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Joe Thomas was a guest on Cowherd today and he thought Wentz should have gone back in and played the end of the game.  He said it was his chance to show the team he can play through pain and he said he would have earned the players respect for doing so.  He thinks the fact he didn't will not sit well with his teammates.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We are probably better off just ruling Wentz out this week so they can get Eason prepared.

They don't have to rule Wentz out to do that... Eason will get the starting reps this week and they'll operate as if he is the starting QB until Wentz is cleared. If Wentz is deemed able to play, he'll play, but he'll only be getting mental reps until then.

Just now, DougDew said:

Cant say for sure about one play.  Even the plays where he doesn't get sacked, hit, or hurried, he's not that quick to throw the ball.

He seems like he's willing to hold the ball for as long as is needed to get the best possible play.  I think that is a dangerous way to play.

uhh Ben's been doing that pretty much his whole career and has been fine well kinda 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Where were they cheap on the O line?

Davenport, Tevi and signing injured and aging Eric Fisher only late in the offseason instead of draft a guy or getting after some better free agents. They gambled and tried to fix the hole Castonzo left with some cast offs from other teams. Same mistake as Grigson did. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Audible to what? Which plays do we have that doesn't require the line to protect for 1.5 seconds? I suppose we just run 55 times and throw 7 screens all game?

When he was running the last 2 games he didn't take any hits (that I recall), he got down. The "reckless" play is because we have failed to protect him. This isn't Andrew Luck refusing to run out of bounds to take Luke Kuechley head-on.

When you change to a new play to better attack the defense you also have to adjust the protection call. She is saying we may be having some hickups in this area. Or she is saying the play and the protection we called wont work against what the defense is bringing but the QB still ran the play with no adjustment. The end result is what looks like the line didnt block, but the reality is they blocked to match the play call. Problem is the protection call for the play doesnt thwart what the defense is bringing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Joe Thomas was a guest on Cowherd today and he thought Wentz should have gone back in and played the end of the game.  He said it was his chance to show the team he can play through pain and he said he would have earned the players respect for doing so.  He thinks the fact he didn't will not sit well with his teammates.  

Not criticizing you here at all, but Joe is an * for thinking that. Wentz already has the team’s respect for playing through hell the last two games, it’s quite evident by the way the guys talk about him. Also, Wentz tried to go back in, you could tell, but the ankle stiffened up. It’s not like he just quit. Joe Thomas should watch the game next time

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Like the guy he was playing against?:

So much respect for stafford after that.

3 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

Davenport, Tevi and signing injured and aging Eric Fisher only late in the offseason instead of draft a guy or getting after some better free agents. They gambled and tried to fix the hole Castonzo left with some cast offs from other teams. Same mistake as Grigson did. 

In all fairness to the Fisher point, he looked pretty good yesterday, all things considered. Almost certainly will be our LT the rest of the year, barring injury

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

If Wentz can't play, please just forfeit. It will be less embarassing than watching Eason play.

I'd much rather they play Sam. If he can read defenses and we shore up the O line, lean on the running game - this team can win. I 

I dont think our chances with him are much better than Eason but it is at least along the lines of how the team is built. I cant see any scenario in which Eason isnt forcing balls into triple coverage even with a clean pocket. The man cannot read a defense. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

They don't have to rule Wentz out to do that... Eason will get the starting reps this week and they'll operate as if he is the starting QB until Wentz is cleared. If Wentz is deemed able to play, he'll play, but he'll only be getting mental reps until then.

Yeah I was thinking that after I typed that. Wentz isn’t going to practice so Eason will be ready. I just have flashbacks when Jacoby practiced all week then they didn’t let him play and Hoyer wasn’t prepared.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Yeah I was thinking that after I typed that. Wentz isn’t going to practice so Eason will be ready. I just have flashbacks when Jacoby practiced all week then they didn’t let him play and Hoyer wasn’t prepared.

Hoyer threw something like 11 INTs that game if my booze soaked brain remembers correctly...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Like the guy he was playing against?:

So much respect for stafford after that.

Non-Throwing shoulder is way different then your injuring your plant leg/foot.   If I remember correctly in Philly Wentz played a couple more plays on a torn ACL and then played like 6 games or so with a fractured back.  I am sure if Wentz could go he would have played.  His right ankle is his plant ankle if he can't plant that foot in the ground and drive the ball then he is of no use to the team on the field. 

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That's a dumb take from joe thomas 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

I don't see that. This problem will be an issue for the whole season and depending on an aging veteran LT thats comes back from a serious injury (that is rushed back into the starting lineup too fast) isn't something you should feel comfortable and Colts have no depth behind them. It was a bad gamble by Ballard and it already cost them with Wentz injury. 

Yeah right! Stop trying to play on the old and aging stuff. Fisher isnt that old and theyve already confirmed the injury once healed is not very likely to occur again. I will take the vet over the rookie who likely wont block well year 1. And what happens if the rookie is injured? We would still be in trouble.

2 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Not criticizing you here at all, but Joe is an * for thinking that. Wentz already has the team’s respect for playing through hell the last two games, it’s quite evident by the way the guys talk about him. Also, Wentz tried to go back in, you could tell, but the ankle stiffened up. It’s not like he just quit. Joe Thomas should watch the game next time

Thomas watched the play that took him out.  I saw Wentz moving up and down the sideline testing his ankle.  I saw him shake his head and said no when it appeared someone asked him if he thought he could go in. Maybe it stiffened up and he didn't want to risk it.  Who knows.  I am expecting him to play this week.  He didn't look bad at all walking up to the podium after the game.  

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

Thomas watched the play that took him out.  I saw Wentz moving up and down the sideline testing his ankle.  I saw him shake his head and said no when it appeared someone asked him if he thought he could go in. Maybe it stiffened up and he didn't want to risk it.  Who knows.  I am expecting him to play this week.  He didn't look bad at all walking up to the podium after the game.  

They showed more after that play, the ankle stiffened up and he wasn’t able to move very much on it. He had to sit down and have it taped, and even then he couldn’t rotate it much. He was clearly pretty frustrated and distraught over it

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Joes wrong. And im not even sure if he knows the guy had 2 sprained ankles.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah right! Stop trying to play on the old and aging stuff. Fisher isnt that old and theyve already confirmed the injury once healed is not very likely to occur again. I will take the vet over the rookie who likely wont block well year 1. And what happens if the rookie is injured? We would still be in trouble.

More to the point, I will take Fisher over Davenport

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

They are paying Fisher 8+ million dollars.  If he can play the rest of the season like he did yesterday,  Ballard did great signing him. 

• Like 5

His availability this weekend will most likely depend on how much swelling and how much swelling they can get to go down and his pain threshold.  

This is also the type of thing that can cause him to have to leave the game early.  Remember the Freeney ankle in the Super Bowl that swelled up on him at halftime.  I’d expect Hundley to be elevated and active Sunday even if Wentz can go.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

That's a dumb take from joe thomas 

Fully agree. Does Joe Thomas not know that Wentz has taken 21 hits in only 8 quarters of football. And some of those, like the Mone one, were absolutely brutal. I'd be surprised if the team doesn't have even more respect for Wentz this week. Most of all the offensive line.

• Like 1

Here is my thought and maybe some fans are with me, some may not be. From here moving forward ALL decisions about which QB's The Colts bring in, Reich should have zero say on. Reich wanted Rivers we lost (not winning a SB is losing, I mean that's what the organization says). Reich wanted Wentz were losing. I remember a guy who played great behind a terrible o-line for 3 straight years! Irsay and Grisham ruined that career. I just get sick of every year since 2015 watching The Colts have pieces but not get it done. Just me tho.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Mannion is on Vikes P.S. not regular roster, Sudfeld same with S.F. and Mullens in Clev. Some P.S. players are protected and many of those are QB's.

Blake Bortles,Kyle Sloter and Duck Hodges best of true Free Agent lot , while all may be better then Hundley by the time they came in and learned playbook likely wouldnt be worth it and we may have Ehlinger back as early as two more weeks....

Are they "free agents" if they are on practice squads? I thought Mannion was backing up Cousins in the first game. Maybe I am wrong. 

Give me SloterGoat. :)

• Shive locked and unlocked this topic
  • Shive locked this topic
  • Shive unlocked this topic