Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz updates?

csmopar

Just now, shasta519 said:

Yeah. There could be more there. Last season, I thought he was avoiding playing with Brees (after Brees made comments before the season). 

Could be but your over all point still stands.  High ankle sprains can ruin a season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There were times he was getting pressure yesterday as quick as two seconds after he snapped the ball because the guy blew past his lineman.  That’s not on Wentz.

That might not be but being able to audible out of a bad play is. He has to be able to change the play getting them out of a bad play. Not saying this is going on but it would be interesting to know if that is part of the reason.

22 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Yes I would.

Its still early in the college season and QB's will emerge as the season goes along.

If we're headed to 5-12, we need to make the hard decision and bench Wentz to keep our 5th overall pick.

If they are headed to 5-12...there's a good chance Wentz has been out a while and the pick isn't in jeopardy. If he is healthy and they are playing that bad, yikes. That would be a really tough scenario too.

"Hey Carson, we are going to bench you now because we suck and don't want to lose our top pick that we plan to use on a QB to replace you. Coach Brady will fill you in on the details."

No way that doesn't get ugly. 

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And take forever to heal fully.  Really bad ones can take as long as six months to heal and that’s without playing football on it.  A lot of time high ankle sprains don’t fully heal until the off-season.

We sure do have quite a few medical experts on this forum. Far more than Webmd has.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

That might not be but being able to audible out of a bad play is. He has to be able to change the play getting them out of a bad play. Not saying this is going on but it would be interesting to know if that is part of the reason.

No it was the guy blasting by his block.  IE it was the line not doing their job.  Most of time it was Donald when they lined him up on anyone but Nelson.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No it was the guy blasting by his block.  IE it was the line not doing their job.  Most of time it was Donald when they lined him up on anyone but Nelson.

It’s also the QB job to make sure the protections are right. It’s probably a combination of everything. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And take forever to heal fully.  Really bad ones can take as long as six months to heal and that’s without playing football on it.  A lot of time high ankle sprains don’t fully heal until the off-season.

Mine was purple up my leg. About 9 months until I couldn't feel it anymore. That ankle is still larger to this day (15 years ago). Was doing a go route across my yard with my son throwing me the ball. Stepped in a gopher hole. 

• Sad 1

Two sprained ankles (one high) is virtually guaranteed to sideline Wentz for at least a few weeks and likely longer. 

This is a bad team with him and an awful team without him. I dont think I've judged an offseason so poorly. This is gonna be a long season. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Sometimes your dodging sacks because your not getting the ball out when you should or getting the team into the right play.  I think it is clear he is still hesitant and still isn’t quite getting them out of a bad play. That is the QB Job. Not saying he is to blame for the loss but we can’t ignore it either.

Julian Davenport... Honestly this isn't overly complicated. Do I need to list the injuries along the O-line again? 

And I've been like one of a handful acknowledging his injury history and the likelihood he'd get hurt this year, but given what I've seen these last two weeks, I think it's incorrect to go with the typical "why isn't he like player X" or "why doesn't he throw the ball under 3 seconds". Those can be factors, but how this happened? It's not his fault and that's what people are fishing for. Fault. This isn't one of those situations for my buck.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s also the QB job to make sure the protections are right. It’s probably a combination of everything. 

No the guys didn’t make the blocks.  It wasn’t missed assignments it wasn’t some blitz they didn’t pick up.  It was Aaron Donald doing what he does, beats his man and blows up plays.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

You missed the point. Maybe it was Wentz making the lines look bad. It’s ok to ask the question. 

Yea it’s ok to ask, doesn’t make it sound less dumb and obviously isn’t the only constant, as you said he was. We don’t need to continue this any further, I’ve been down this rabbit hole with you and have seen your track record of evaluating QB play. You’ll catch up sooner or later.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Yea it’s ok to ask, doesn’t make it sound less dumb and obviously isn’t the only constant, as you said he was. We don’t need to continue this any further, I’ve been down this rabbit hole with you and have seen your track record of evaluating QB play. You’ll catch up sooner or later.

Thanks!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

It’s not dumb. It’s the QB and centers job to make sure the other 9 players are in the right spots from what they see the defense doing. 

If Ballard and Reich though the line graded out well then there is another issue.

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

I would have Sam ready to go.

If Eason comes in and looks terrible, bring Sam in.

Sam can’t come back until after the Titans game. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Never_Quit said:

This is a bad team with him and an awful team without him. I dont think I've judged an offseason so poorly. This is gonna be a long season. 

Really?  They were tied late in a game against the 5th ranked team in the NFL (by at least one source).   A bad team would not still be in the game.  I don't think they are great, but they have some strengths they are not using well yet.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-power-rankings-49ers-cowboys-broncos-steelers-seahawks-saints/9qfapkyllfjx1nx3xuaxh1f1e

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If Ballard and Reich though the line graded out well then there is another issue.

Sam can’t come back until after the Titans game. 

Protection calls or something else maybe. I know in the run game Taylor kept leaving yards on the field.

The fact he played on the ond most of the game probably it means it isn’t to bad. It’s the Donald one that is the real issue.

Just now, krunk said:

Protection calls or something else maybe. I know in the run game Taylor kept leaving yards on the field.

This is why I said Wentz might be part of the reason. Not all of it. It part. That is his job at the line.

Just now, krunk said:

Hopefully we can get Braden and Rhodes are back this week. I somewhat believe Rhodes absence effects some of the coverages we like to play. Changes our approach here and there.

I think they have been doing some weird things with Moore.

9 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

Hate to say it but that was something I and other predicted right after the draft. The way the Colts handled the loss of their franchise LT was a big mistake. Trying to find cheap solutions on your OL gets your QB killed. 

Youre only going to be able to claim that maybe for the first 2 games or 3 if we play musical chairs Sunday. Fisher did pretty well and i assume he should be able to play the whole Tenn game. That problem should be coming to a close. We had a new problem on the right side bc Braden didnt play. A rookie LT likely gives you the same pressure problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Cowherd said that Wentz is reckless with his body and how he plays.  That is self evident if you watched the last two games.

That specific play where he gets hurt, do you think that was reckless play on his part?

The rush was on him immediately, he tried to escape and was tackled. The only non-reckless play there would be to immediately throw the ball into the ground or lay down when the pressure comes. With this O line play the last 2 weeks that would have happened 20+ times already. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Audible to what? Which plays do we have that doesn't require the line to protect for 1.5 seconds? I suppose we just run 55 times and throw 7 screens all game?

When he was running the last 2 games he didn't take any hits (that I recall), he got down. The "reckless" play is because we have failed to protect him. This isn't Andrew Luck refusing to run out of bounds to take Luke Kuechley head-on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

Hate to say it but that was something I and other predicted right after the draft. The way the Colts handled the loss of their franchise LT was a big mistake. Trying to find cheap solutions on your OL gets your QB killed. 

Where were they cheap on the O line?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

That specific play where he gets hurt, do you think that was reckless play on his part?

The rush was on him immediately, he tried to escape and was tackled. The only non-reckless play there would be to immediately throw the ball into the ground or lay down when the pressure comes. With this O line play the last 2 weeks that would have happened 20+ times already. 

Only gripe i have with Carson is when he dives head first. I think thats risky. Other than that im starting to really like him.

• Like 5

Just now, Mitch Connors said:

Audible to what? Which plays do we have that doesn't require the line to protect for 1.5 seconds? I suppose we just run 55 times and throw 7 screens all game?

When he was running the last 2 games he didn't take any hits (that I recall), he got down. The "reckless" play is because we have failed to protect him. This isn't Andrew Luck refusing to run out of bounds to take Luke Kuechley head-on.

There have been people on here saying rivers made Reich look better then he is because of his ability to diagnose a defense before the snap and get them in a favorable play.  Not sure Wentz is doing that great yet.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Sorry, I am a superstitious guy. Just don't let Peyton visit Lucas Oil Stadium again.

Comes in 2013 as a Bronco, Colts win but the normally durable Reggie Wayne out for the season.

Comes here in 2015, Colts win but Luck goes out for the season with a lacerated kidney.

Comes here in 2016 with the SB 41 winning gang for the game vs Titans, Luck suffers concussion and misses a few games.

Yesterday, comes here along with Edge, and you saw with Wentz. I rest my case. :( 

schitts creek lol GIF by CBC

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Youre only going to be able to claim that maybe for the first 2 games or 3 if we play musical chairs Sunday. Fisher did pretty well and i assume he should be able to play the whole Tenn game. That problem should be coming to a close. We had a new problem on the tight side bc Braden didnt play. A rookie LT likely gives you the same problem.

I don't see that. This problem will be an issue for the whole season and depending on an aging veteran LT thats comes back from a serious injury (that is rushed back into the starting lineup too fast) isn't something you should feel comfortable and Colts have no depth behind them. It was a bad gamble by Ballard and it already cost them with Wentz injury. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Cant say for sure about one play.  Even the plays where he doesn't get sacked, hit, or hurried, he's not that quick to throw the ball.

He seems like he's willing to hold the ball for as long as is needed to get the best possible play.  I think that is a dangerous way to play.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Only gripe i have with Carson is when he dives head first. I think thats risky. Other than that im starting to really like him.

I don’t like that he dives head first either, but he’s not the only QB that does it and I think I know why. When you slide you are down the exact moment you hit the slide. However, when you dive forward, you aren’t down until either you hit the ground, or at the very least not until it’s evident you are diving, which typically would be way past the point where your slide would begin. Difference in the two is like 1-2 yards, but that can be the difference between a first down or not.

Not defending it, just find it interesting. Luck used to do it too.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Isn’t that the QB coach job to always keep hounding him about sliding to protect himself.

• Shive locked and unlocked this topic
  • Shive locked this topic
  • Shive unlocked this topic