Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz updates?

csmopar

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Okay, but there is differences in body types.  I would guess that Wentz's arms and legs are longer than Lucks.  Combined with being an inch taller, that means he achieves the same weight by being overall skinnier.

And a longer skinnier arm is going to whip the ball more than a muscular arm, hence the better arm talent of Wentz over Luck, IMO.  (obviously arm talent is more than arm length, duh)

This is heading down the rabbit hole of human biology, but Wentz is definitely more gangly than Luck.  That hurts his agility and ability to take hits, IMO.

I get what your saying. People do carry their weight different.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Okay, but there is differences in body types.  I would guess that Wentz's arms and legs are longer than Lucks.  Combined with being an inch taller, that means he achieves the same weight by being overall skinnier.

And a longer skinnier arm is going to whip the ball more than a muscular arm, hence the better arm talent of Wentz over Luck, IMO.  (obviously arm talent is more than arm length, duh)

This is heading down the rabbit hole of human biology, but Wentz is definitely more gangly than Luck.  That hurts his agility and ability to take hits, IMO.

Luck was built like a truck. DL players would hit him and he wouldn't move. He would complete passes with DL players wrapped around him. Wentz is a bigger guy, but he's not built like that.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

True. But I’m not convinced this defense is better than Pagano’s. It doesn’t bring me confidence, if you know what I’m saying. 

Rams pretty good offense.score 10 to 6 at half time. We pretty much shut down seahawks 2nd half. We need consistency

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I get what your saying. People do carry their weight different.

I don't think Wentz possesses the same level of escapability as Luck.  

Big Ben was never a great athlete, but also seemed to get the most out of what he had (and he's bigger too).

We'll see when the oline comes back, but Wentz might also try to make one more move than he's capable of.  Close, but falls short and gets hit/tackled.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Rams pretty good offense.score 10 to 6 at half time. We pretty much shut down seahawks 2nd half. We need consistency

Has been the issue with the D for two years now.  I’ll say on Sunday it went from series to series too.  They would look like the 85 Bears on one series (I am being a little extreme) and then be a sieve on the next.  What I noticed was the series where they attacked the offense they looked good.  When they drop two safeties back and played scared of the deep pass they can’t stop anything.

54 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I saw someone mention that Brady never would of put himself in position to get hurt or taken down by Donald like Wentz did. The ball would of been thrown away or he just would of went down and take the sack.

Down by 3 with 7 minutes left in the game - you suggest the play is to always take the sack?

Really, what's the difference between escaping a pocket that's broken to make a play and standing tall in the pocket and taking a big hit as you throw? 

Just now, Mitch Connors said:

Down by 3 with 7 minutes left in the game - you suggest the play is to always take the sack?

Really, what's the difference between escaping a pocket that's broken to make a play and standing tall in the pocket and taking a big hit as you throw? 

I didn’t say that. I said I saw someone say it.

Just now, DougDew said:

IMO, Frank is playing coach strategy.  He is being tight lipped because he wants TEN to have to waste time thinking about Hundley.

Eason will start.  Frank doesn't need to confirm it. 

Yep. He wants them to have to prepare for all possibilities.

2 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I'm starting to question what's going on with rhodes because this is getting out of hand

A calf can make you miss a lot of games. Especially with a corner.

25 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

6'4" and 234 lbs

6'5" and 237 lbs

Which one of those is Luck and which one is Wentz? They're exactly the same size actually.

Read my post above.  Possibly longer arms and legs.....more arm and more leg, means the overall weight is carried differently.  Simple stats don't explain it.  You need to get more granular stats.

Or the equivalent, just look at them.

Carson is ganglier.  Luck was a thicker, 6'4.

I also think it was hard to get sacks against Seattle bc they played us the same way Jacksonville did in game 1 of last year. They kept moving the pocket and getting rid of the ball quick. Rams game they simply had a very good unit. That made our chances of getting home slimmer than usual. It may be too early too say we arent able to get pressure. Need a few more games.

It doesn't matter if Wentz is at 50% or 100% because as long as Davenport is in the game, he's going to continue to get murdered. The Colts either need to get both Fisher and Smith back on the field together, or make a move for another Tackle. I can't believe Reich continues to play Davenport, he's HORRENDOUS. Sign Okung or Schwartz or try to trade for Dillard. ANYONE has to be better than this guy. The fact that Reich continues to allow this guy to get mauled by defenders on nearly every play and refuses to give him blocking help on every game is mind blowing. I'm so sick and tired of it.

6 minutes ago, Andrew_Luck said:

It doesn't matter if Wentz is at 50% or 100% because as long as Davenport is in the game, he's going to continue to get murdered. The Colts either need to get both Fisher and Smith back on the field together, or make a move for another Tackle. I can't believe Reich continues to play Davenport, he's HORRENDOUS. Sign Okung or Schwartz or try to trade for Dillard. ANYONE has to be better than this guy. The fact that Reich continues to allow this guy to get mauled by defenders on nearly every play and refuses to give him blocking help on every game is mind blowing. I'm so sick and tired of it.

All sounds good but if you're in the position of GM, you have to think more deeply than that and when you do, you find it isnt so easy. Even without being a GM, if you scratch beyond surface level and add some cold rational thinking to these thoughts, you'll see what i mean. Take the examples you gave.

- Mitch Schwartz is still hurt. He was hoping to be back sometime this season but he's still hurt and his return to any football is TBD. Meanwhile we have Braden Smith who's a big money signing of recent so if you bring in a starting caliber (when healthy) RT like Schwartz then what'd you give all that money to Braden for? To be a swing tackle? Sit on the bench? Be a backup? Baseline: Mitch is out of football and doing media stuff like/with his brother.

- Russell Okung is a LT. That issue is solved. Also he's not looking to play for cheap and after the deals Indy handed out to the line, anyone coming in needs to be here relatively cheap.

- Dillard? Philly have suffered line issues over the last year or so, they know the value of decent linemen, they're not trading their asset to Indy. And if they did, the asking price would be insane.

There're quite a few teams in the same position as the Colts. Reich plays what he has. Maybe he can scheme up better to cover up the weakness but when you put up extra blockers, you're taking away from something else you might want to do. It's all frustrating for sure and i bet Chris Ballard is more frustrated than any one of us but he also has to make the best short AND long term decisions for his club.

41 minutes ago, Andrew_Luck said:

It’s not madden where you can plug and play people off the street.  I am not a fan of Davenport either but no not anyone is better than him.  In fact the Colts had several back up tackles in camp that were in fact worse.  I will say I’d rather see the guy the Colts got from the Eagles over him if Fisher is ready for a full game Sunday and Smith can’t go.  It could be he’s the plans to be the main back up but since the Colts got him at the deadline he wasn’t ready week one too.  That goes back to my point you can’t just plug and play people off the street.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s not madden where you can plug and play people off the street.  I am not a fan of Davenport either but no not anyone is better than him.  In fact the Colts had several back up tackles in camp that were in fact worse.  I will say I’d rather see the guy the Colts got from the Eagles over him if Fisher is ready for a full game Sunday and Smith can’t go.  It could be he’s the plans to be the main back up but since the Colts got him at the deadline he wasn’t ready week one too.  That goes back to my point you can’t just plug and play people off the street.

The fact that Davenport is their best option at both tackle spots falls on Ballard and Reich. The fact that Reich refuses to give Davenport help on every play lies on him. I would be shocked if Pryor is worse than Davenport. He's just as bad as Clark and Green. They should've made a move after the week 1 game. When a healthy Fisher, plug in a respectable RT in place of Smith while he's out and this offense is automatically 50x better than they are with Davenport on the field.

1 minute ago, Andrew_Luck said:

The fact that Davenport is their best option at both tackle spots falls on Ballard and Reich. The fact that Reich refuses to give Davenport help on every play lies on him. I would be shocked if Pryor is worse than Davenport. He's just as bad as Clark and Green. They should've made a move after the week 1 game. When a healthy Fisher, plug in a respectable RT in place of Smith while he's out and this offense is automatically 50x better than they are with Davenport on the field.

That’s fair.  I am just saying if they go out and get someone today its not good odds he’ll be able to help Sunday.  If Smith can’t go Pryor is probably the best hope but that probably depends on if Fisher is ready for a full game.

39 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

All sounds good but if you're in the position of GM, you have to think more deeply than that and when you do, you find it isnt so easy.

They could have addressed this in the draft, I still think it was a mistake to count on an injured player that missed week one and still isnt 100%.  Is the plan to just lose until hes ready?

14 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

They could have addressed this in the draft, I still think it was a mistake to count on an injured player that missed week one and still isnt 100%.  Is the plan to just lose until hes ready?

Addressed which position? LT or RT? Andrew_Luck seems to be complaining about the RT and Davenport not the LT and the LT missed a week so honestly i'm not seeing the problem. Honestly if Andrew wasn't being so selfish, he'd come back and play for the damn team instead of sitting on the forum whining about the tackles. Can't you see we need you Andrew?!

On a more serious note, they had a board and stayed true to it. I cannot complain about that. I realize many fans wanted o-line, pass rush, TE, CB in the draft and got a double dip of pass rush but honestly looking at the pass rush now (especially the guys not named Paye), i think Ballard was right. We'll see. 

I guess we can always get mad that they drafted Shawn Davis instead of a lineman but if we're talking that late in the draft, they did pick Will Fries up.

3 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

What's the difference in your scenario? An absolutely crushing blow by a DL or LB....maybe several. That's the difference.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Ballard said the tackles in the draft were RT not LT. We sure could use a RT right now. 

OL depth is utter garbage across the entire NFL, and College.  Now, scheming help to offset weak OT play, I don't know why Reich fails so badly there.... Maybe the answer to stopping the egregious penetration down in and down out is Mo Cox.

6 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Im talking about LT. Missing a week was a problem imo, you were quick to dismiss that though.  EF wasn't good on sunday either, some others were just worse so the rams attacked elsewhere 

The complaint i responded to was about Davenport who played RT but that's incidental. You raise several points and i don't agree with most of them.

- Missing a week was not optimal but the front office brought in TWO LTs and got a 3rd later but unfortunately they all stink. It's a problem across the league. In all likelihood, the young guys in the draft who could have been good at LT would be likely gone in 1st round. It's a premium position. They chose pass rush instead and i can't be mad about that.

- EF wasn't good, he was average. The fact that he performed better than most of the line should bug you. He was the chosen solution and in his 1st game back, he was the Colts 2nd best lineman. Really you cannot ask for more can you? 

18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Ballard said the tackles in the draft were RT not LT. We sure could use a RT right now. 

Again, as i said to Andrew_Luck, lets put on our GM hats. You have limited picks because you paid for a QB so you certainly have to be true to your board or wheel and deal your way to more picks. They stayed true to their board and didnt reach for need. I don't need to explain why you stick to your board as i'm sure you're familiar with the logic. Needless to say, the RT they just paid big bucks to wasn't a NEED back in april. He got hurt, it happens. And even if the draft was a RT-heavy draft, if you pick up one of those guys then you miss out on other players who you have ranked higher. 

Drafting linemen doesn't guarantee anything. The players who're sucking right now are heavily paid players, how much more investment do you throw to the line as a GM? Honestly if there's one thing (as far as line issues go) that ticked me off with CB, it's that he got rid of some bodies that Grigson drafted without maybe giving them a chance. Guys like Denzelle Good and Joe Haeg, and honestly even that quibble isnt really justified because those guys also wanted to move on since we had better options at the time.

5 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I wouldnt have gone that route personally. He was less bad than some players who were horrible, thats not enough for me

Who would you have gone for? Christian Darrisaw? A trade? A FA? What route would you have taken?

Fisher is cheap, and by all indications he'll prove a good get. He was less bad, sure. No one will say he was great. I think he gave up a sack but he was far from the problem. Listen, i watched fans complain for years about Castanzo, talk about him not being a pro bowler, and just being average or whatever. Eric Fisher is coming back from a long layoff and played like that in his first action back, he will get better. 

21 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Im talking about LT. Missing a week was a problem imo, you were quick to dismiss that though.  EF wasn't good on sunday either, some others were just worse so the rams attacked elsewhere 

Fisher was very good on Sunday,   what are you talking about?

Archived