Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz updates?

csmopar

This is interesting. Reich was asked if carson can’t go will it be Eason starting and Hundley backing him up. Reich said he won’t say that yet.  Said he won’t make a statement on who will start until he knows more on Carson. Could they be giving Hundley a look in practice to maybe gauge whether he could start over Eason.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Throwing kitchen sink doesn’t sound good.

I'm no doctor, but I always thought that the treatment for a sprained ankle was rest (no walking), and elevating the leg.  Standing at a presser with swollen ankles seems counterproductive. 

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich also just said it’s not as much of the offensive line as people think. Said Wentz has had plays where he needs to get it out quicker and TE and RB need to do a better job. Sure sounded like he was trying not to throw Wentz under the bus.

Julian Davenport

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich also just said it’s not as much of the offensive line as people think. Said Wentz has had plays where he needs to get it out quicker and TE and RB need to do a better job. Sure sounded like he was trying not to throw Wentz under the bus.

Any objective fan can see that Wentz is hopelessly trying to extend plays or simply has missed a quick read sometimes.  He needs to smarten up and get real about how athletic he is (not).. And I'm sure the RBs and TEs can be better blockers and receivers when Wentz is in trouble.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Any objective fan can see that Wentz is hopelessly trying to extend plays or simply has missed a quick read sometimes.  He needs to smarten up and get real about how athletic he is (not).. And I'm sure the RBs and TEs can be better blockers and receivers when Wentz is in trouble.

So you think if he plays Sunday and is confined to the pocket that might actually help him in the long run?  Ir definitely hurts pass protection when he tries to do too much.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

So you think if he plays Sunday and is confined to the pocket that might actually help him in the long run? 

I think we are going to the lose the game because the defense can be exploited by TN pretty easily, so I don't think it matters who plays QB.

I'd like to see Eason play and stay in the pocket.  And have the game plan adjusted to help Eason make plays.

Overall, I'd like to see Wentz stay in the pocket more.  That's one reason we have a well-compensated oline.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think we are going to the lose the game because the defense can be exploited by TN pretty easily.

I'd like to see Eason play and stay in the pocket.  And have the game plan adjusted to help Eason make plays.

Overall, I'd like to see Wentz stat in the pocket more.  That's one reason we have a well-compensated oline.

Well if he plays we might see him confined to the pocket more. Question is can he adapt to that kind of play.

I think we are going to the lose the game because the defense can be exploited by TN pretty easily.

Overall, I'd like to see Wentz stat in the pocket more.  That's one reason we have a well-compensated oline.

There hasn't been a pocket for him to stay in the first 2 games

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Well if he plays we might see him confined to the pocket more. Question is can he adapt to that kind of play.

I doubt that a coach can compell him to stay.  He's going to have to make that decision on his own, IMO.

He's got better arm talent than Luck.  I don't think there is any doubt about that.  He's got the skills to stay in the pocket, it just seems like its an energy or even immaturity thing.

If he runs when there is a clear running lane, go for it.  But trying to run around like Mahomes in hopes that somebody will get open, no.  Frank and Ballard should fine him for that LOL.

37 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They can’t look at it like that or they are going to ruin him for the rest of the season. They can’t take a short term view on it. If he goes out and compensates and tears s knee that takes his rehab all the way through camp again next season.  This is the guy they want for the next 8 years.

True and those ankle sprains can lead to a torn achilles too.

What percentage should he be before they run him out there Sunday?

24 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

What you are seeing is typical "shift"... 

Guys like Nelson (who is the farthest from the problem) stand up and take the blame. Coaches spread the blame.

As far as Carson needing to get it out quicker, sure he does. But at the same time, he has never been an elite guy in terms of low time to throw, and Reich new exactly who he was getting. And to expect Carson to have a low time to throw with a bad OL, in his first year, in a new scheme, with new pass catchers (two starters out) is just dumb in the first two games. He'll get better, but right now it is what it is.

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

No it was clearly directed at Wentz, RB, TE. He said it’s not the oline like people think. He was trying hard not to throw Wentz and those other positions under the bus. I will post it when it’s up.

Yeah, I'm saying that's weak sauce from Frank. Julian Davenport has blown up more plays all by himself... he has to play again is probably what's going on with the "it's really on Wentz to X,Y,Z".

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There hasn't been a pocket for him to stay in the first 2 games

I know.  It strikes me that his instinctive, and only, reaction seems to be to try run away and make lemonade out of lemons.  Did you ever see PM try to run, ever, or did he instinctively find a spot on the field to dump the ball on the turf, in the area of a player as to not get called for grounding?  That's what I'm talking about.

Its a tough observation with the line being the way it is.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think we are going to the lose the game because the defense can be exploited by TN pretty easily, so I don't think it matters who plays QB.

Playing the Titans after the two offenses we just faced will feel like a practice against the freshmen.  I expect the defense to look great.

I know.  It strikes me that his instinctive, and only, reaction seems to be to try run away and make lemonade out of lemons.  Did you ever see PM try to run, ever, or did he try to find a spot on the field to dump the ball on the turf first, in the area of a player as to not get called for grounding?  That's what I'm talking about.

Its a tough observation with the line being the way it is.

I saw someone mention that Brady never would of put himself in position to get hurt or taken down by Donald like Wentz did. The ball would of been thrown away or he just would of went down and take the sack.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I doubt that a coach can compell him to stay.  He's going to have to make that decision on his own, IMO.

He's got better arm talent than Luck.  I don't think there is any doubt about that.  He's got the skills to stay in the pocket, it just seems like its an energy or even immaturity thing.

If he runs when there is a clear running lane, go for it.  But trying to run around like Mahomes in hopes that somebody will get open, no.  Frank and Ballard should fine him for that LOL.

He plays wreckless like Luck and Luck was built like a linebacker and he still got beat up. Wentz isn't that big.  

3 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Playing the Titans after the two offenses we just faced will feel like a practice against the freshmen.  I expect the defense to look great.

How are we going to stop 138 yards by Julio and 182 by Henry. That’s what they got last game. Titans may be bad on defense bur they can put up a lot of points. They have been one of the highest scoring offenses in the league the last two years. 

2 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

By the way in the event Wentz can't go I would start the rookie.  Neither Eason nor Hundley offer particularly smart QB play and that is what we need from that backup.  I'd stick the rook back there and make sure he's got a balanced call sheet.

Sam is on IR. But if Eason looks bad it could open the door for sam once he comes back.

12 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I think our smallish ends and Oke will still struggle against the run.  Even if they know its coming.  And Leonard himself is no thumper.

13 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

He plays wreckless like Luck and Luck was built like a linebacker and he still got beat up. Wentz isn't that big.  

He's not as athletic as Luck either.  Athleticism wise, Wentz is at best like Tannehill, but he thinks he's almost Mahomes.

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Wentz ran a faster 40 at the combine than Mahomes. Tannehill was faster than both

Ok, but speed is not athleticism, its just one component.  Mahomes has the ability to scoot around and stay in balance seemingly no matter what his present body position is.  Like a cat.  That helps to avoid big hits.

Wentz is like a big skinny dog scrambling to get to his food dish on a waxed hardwood floor.  Knees and elbows all over the place.

I'm sure that you follow my analogies.

12 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They are close to the same height and weight. Wentz did lose some weight in the offseason so he might be slightly lighter now though.

Luck was more built to handle taking hits. Carson doesnt really take a lot of hard hits to me more so than he takes too long at times to get rid of the ball which leads to sacks and he prefers for whatever reason not to slide when he does run. I dont like all the superman diving and what not. I still feel like he could have a better feel for the pass rush. The Tackle will ger beat off the edge at times and instead of stepping up in the pocket to avoid the rush he tends to stand flat footed and ends up sacked. Not all the time but sometimes he does this.

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They are close to the same height and weight. Wentz did lose some weight in the offseason so he might be slightly lighter now though. Carson is a inch taller then luck and is listed as 3 lbs lighter.

Okay, but there is differences in body types.  I would guess that Wentz's arms and legs are longer than Lucks.  Combined with being an inch taller, that means he achieves the same weight by being overall skinnier.

And a longer skinnier arm is going to whip the ball more than a muscular arm, hence the better arm talent of Wentz over Luck, IMO.  (obviously arm talent is more than arm length, duh)

This is heading down the rabbit hole of human biology, but Wentz is definitely more gangly than Luck.  That hurts his agility and ability to take hits, IMO.

Archived