Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Rams at Colts Postgame Thoughts


EastStreet
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You're talking about the two most dynamic QBs and playmakers in the game right now.

My point is this league is a offensive  league. Defenses seem to be over rated. Colts need to find ways to be more dynamic because it’s just so hard to stop offenses in this league.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Wentzszn said:

My point is this league is a offensive  league. Defenses seem to be over rated. Colts need to find ways to be more dynamic because it’s just so hard to stop offenses in this league.

You doing your normal weekly swing.... lol...

Last week you said we needed to forget about defending the run, which their running today killed us and sealed the deal. 

Now your diminishing the need for D in general because of some high scoring teams/games. A third of the teams this week still couldn't score more than 20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You doing your normal weekly swing.... lol...

Last week you said we needed to forget about defending the run, which their running today killed us and sealed the deal. 

Now your diminishing the need for D in general because of some high scoring teams/games. A third of the teams this week still couldn't score more than 20.

I was just throwing a suggestion out there about not worrying about the run. But the truth stands it’s hard to stop offenses in this league. You need to do a lot more then running the ball and a occasional chunk play.  Because having a defense that is going to be able to consistantly be able to slow a team dorm almost doesn’t exist. If you want to play with the big boys you better be able to score a ton of points.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I was just throwing a suggestion out there about not worrying about the run. But the truth stands it’s hard to stop offenses in this league. You need to do a lot more then running the ball and a occasional chunk play.  Because having a defense that is going to be able to consistantly be able to slow a team dorm almost doesn’t exist. If you want to play with the big boys you better be able to score a ton of points.

 

Our O stinks (except for Wentz and a few pass catchers).

Our D stinks, which puts pressure on our O.

 

Both are symbiotic. Both need to improve and help the other.

Can't forget about Pass O, Run O, Pass D, Run D, or STs. All play a part. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I was just throwing a suggestion out there about not worrying about the run. But the truth stands it’s hard to stop offenses in this league. You need to do a lot more then running the ball and a occasional chunk play.  Because having a defense that is going to be able to consistantly be able to slow a team dorm almost doesn’t exist.

 

I agree with you.

There are defenses that can play at a high level for spurts. Maybe for a few series, a few quarters,  or even a few games. But it's hard to find a defense to dominate for a whole season let alone year in year out. 

The Elite offenses play at a high level more often. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

I agree with you.

There are defenses that can play at a high level for spurts. Maybe for a few series, a few quarters,  or even a few games. But it's hard to find a defense to dominate for a whole season let alone year in year out. 

The Elite offenses play at a high level more often. 

 

Dominant Ds typically have well rounded units with several studs.

 

Dominant Os the same.

 

Remove any of those studs and they falter. 

 

Remember how KC disappeared when they had OL injuries. JB beat them. Or Lamar Jackson fading for decent periods on multiple occassions.... 

 

Fans don't pay attention to the D like they do O. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For my first ever game, it was a blast! I expected a blowout honestly. The colts should of and could have won the game… the fans were loud as ever there! It was super loud everytime something good happened! Or the defense was on the field! I am just happy it was a really good game to be at and was a great experience there! Colts stadium is crazy to be at!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

He's spot on. Especially from the business side commentary.

 

 

Although Ballard is part to blame with the tackle situation.

 

We had a lot of coaching turnover going into this season. Looks like it is really hurting the team. I am still not convinced we have a good dline coach either.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This might be a hot take but after the Titans game Eberflus might be without a job.

You still haven’t figured out that this franchise doesn’t do knee-jerk over-reaction.   
 

You might want Fkuss fired, but Reich and Ballard won’t make a move in-season like that.   Especially after week #3.    They won’t play the scape goat card. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You still haven’t figured out that this franchise doesn’t do knee-jerk over-reaction.   
 

You might want Fkuss fired, but Reich and Ballard won’t make a move in-season like that.   Especially after week #3.    They won’t play the scape goat card. 

It wouldn’t be a knee jerk reaction. Same issues are happening as last season 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It wouldn’t be a knee jerk reaction. Same issues are happening as last season 

There are numerous reasons for that.   Many of them have nothing to do with Fluss.   And firing a coach you say you like three weeks into a season, even a disappointing season,  is pretty much text book definition of a knee jerk reaction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are numerous reasons for that.   Many of them have nothing to do with Fluss.   And firing a coach you say you like three weeks into a season, even a disappointing season,  is pretty much text book definition of a knee jerk reaction. 

When the same issues keep happening year after year irs time yo question whether we have the right DC. We need someone who dictates not sits back and waits to react if that makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It wouldn’t be a knee jerk reaction. Same issues are happening as last season 

The guy from Stampede Blue told you all you need to know about bad coaches keeping their jobs lol... 

Nobody is getting fired mid season. 

But yes, same issues as last year. We just benefited from a soft schedule last season and our D was over hyped. And a lot of guys that some expected to develop (rightly or wrongly), are looking like they might be draft misses. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

When the same issues keep happening year after year irs time yo question whether we have the right DC. We need someone who dictates not sits back and waits to react if that makes sense.

Of course, there’s a chance you’re right.   I’d put it roughly between 1-2 percent.  So, it’s the longest of long shots.   But I think ultimately you’ll be disappointed if you’re waiting for it to happen.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The guy from Stampede Blue told you all you need to know about bad coaches keeping their jobs lol... 

Nobody is getting fired mid season. 

But yes, same issues as last year. We just benefited from a soft schedule last season and our D was over hyped. And a lot of guys that some expected to develop (rightly or wrongly), are looking like they might be draft misses. 

Right now I’d like to know one defensive draft pick Ballard has made that has turned into who we expected him to be outside of Leonard.  I am not going to start calling for heads right now but to me the Colts picks on defense are playing below expectations again other than Leonard.  So either Ballard is drafting the right guys or the coaches aren’t developing them right.  I don’t know the right answer to that, frankly no one here does, but that’s where things are right now and if it doesn’t improve I think Irsay should think long and hard about where he feels that problem is and make some kind of change there.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Pittman did the stuff he does well.  I have doubts if he can be a good team’s leading receiver, put looked good doing some of that dirty work he can do.

 

2. Maybe Jonathan Taylor isn’t really all that great after all.  He seems to need clear, smooth Wisconsin type running lanes.  Bought the jersey last year (well, cheap knock off), but he is very indecisive.  He has chances to take 2 or 3 yds and runs into the guards and just stops himself. I thought Mack looked good enough to try.  Staff must have been frustrated with Taylor 2nd half, cause he barely played.  Play action to Mack was effective after he gained 4 or 5 on a stretch type run.  This is the type of crap Frank wants to do, but Taylor is poor running parallel to the LOs and Rivers couldn’t play under center.  I’ve said for a while we need an RB who can run parallel type plays.  I’d love to see some sort of two back scheme.  All three Colts RBs are dynamic and could really put today’s 4-2 type defenses in some tough situations.

 

3.  Wentz can’t last playing like that. Never really watched him, but he’s like Luck and can’t hold up playing with that reckless, head first abandon.  He’s really good and fun to watch, but I think the probability is high his injury issues persist.

 

4.  Lines not great to say the least.  We have to hope Paye and the Achilles guy are top 10 type players,  if not our Dline is nothing special.  Oline should be good.  I can’t believe you don’t play Fisher at the end if he’s available.  Dumbfounded

 

5.  Stafford gets a lot of praise for a guy whose never won feces.  I don’t think he gives them much if any better chances to win over Goff

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

It is disheartening also after we tied  it how quickly the defense just let Rams get dorn field with no resistance.

 

Twice.  After we took the lead on the botched punt also.  

 

Colts football.  Outside of a moment here or there, it's been the same story for decades.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Defense:

Willis is a decent run stopper. He is a liability over the top. 

 

How can the run D be this bad? Was Walker really that good, and they let him walk for peanuts? The only one that was playing on the D-Line was Buckner. 

 

WHERE IS THE PASS RUSH???? Absolutely unacceptable how bad the Colts are off the edge. 

 

I'm so sick of the D giving 10 yard cushions. How many times did the Rams march down the field on 14 yard throws? 

 

I'll give it up to Rock Ya-Sin. He's the only one in the secondary that's been playing the last two games. 

 

The Offense: 

I'm beyond tired of watching the team come out and look great for the first 10-15 scripted plays and getting my hopes up that somehow Reich has become a good play caller. If you can't make in-game adjustments, then give the dang reigns to someone who can!!! 

 

The quick throws were destroying the Rams, yet Reich keeps calling for more long developing plays. Insanity. 

 

Why wasn't Doyle (who was killing them) and Mo-Allie (seems to be an after though in this offense) targeted more? It's like Reich has no concept of going back to what works. 

 

Running up the middle 4x........... "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Why didn't they run it to the left more where the only two O-linemen that were blocking were at????? 

 

Having your backup QB come in and try to start flinging passes down the field and all the sudden start playing Air Raid offense is inexcusable. 

 

Leaving Davenport on an island is just dumb. Especially against Aaron Donald. There is no excuse for not having TE's at the very least chipping. 

 

Wentz looked really good. He played great for little help he got.

I hope he is ok. That replay looked nasty.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

The Defense:

Willis is a decent run stopper. He is a liability over the top. 

 

How can the run D be this bad? Was Walker really that good, and they let him walk for peanuts? The only one that was playing on the D-Line was Buckner. 

 

WHERE IS THE PASS RUSH???? Absolutely unacceptable how bad the Colts are off the edge. 

 

I'm so sick of the D giving 10 yard cushions. How many times did the Rams march down the field on 14 yard throws? 

 

I'll give it up to Rock Ya-Sin. He's the only one in the secondary that's been playing the last two games. 

 

The Offense: 

I'm beyond tired of watching the team come out and look great for the first 10-15 scripted plays and getting my hopes up that somehow Reich has become a good play caller. If you can't make in-game adjustments, then give the dang reigns to someone who can!!! 

 

The quick throws were destroying the Rams, yet Reich keeps calling for more long developing plays. Insanity. 

 

Why wasn't Doyle (who was killing them) and Mo-Allie (seems to be an after though in this offense) targeted more? It's like Reich has no concept of going back to what works. 

 

Running up the middle 4x........... "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Why didn't they run it to the left more where the only two O-linemen that were blocking were at????? 

 

Having your backup QB come in and try to start flinging passes down the field and all the sudden start playing Air Raid offense is inexcusable. 

 

Leaving Davenport on an island is just *ic. Especially against Aaron Donald. There is no excuse for not having TE's at the very least chipping. 

 

Wentz looked really good. He played great for little help he got.

I hope he is ok. That replay looked nasty.


Reads like a book. Under Ballard, Colts teams are competitive with an elite QB under Center. Without an elite QB, the Colts are a .500 team or worse. 
 

I think @EastStreet nailed it, stating the Colts benefitted from a weak schedule in 2020, which gave a lot fans the feeling that the Colts are contenders. 
 

This team still lacks impact players and good depth, until they “develop”. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Ballard keeps spinning his wheels. He fixers one  area then let’s another area get weakened. 

 

Exactly and a perfect summary of the roster construction of this team over the past several years.  

 

The real reason IMO for this is relying way too much on the draft to fill holes instead of mixing up more FAs and buy low type trades.

 

Turay, Banagou, Campbell, Ya-Sin, Lewis are all 2nd round picks who have not come close to being any type of impact level players.   (Three of those guys are DE, pass rush types.  Any coincidence that this is an area where the D continues to struggle?)

 

The odds are, at this point, none of them will develop into playmaker types with us which means future draft capital will have to spent in order to correct these misses.  For example, our top two draft picks from this past year were spent on two DEs instead of perhaps quality O-line depth. 

 

The irony is that I consider Ballard to be pretty good at drafting.  The bottom line is that the draft is as much of a crapshoot as FA or other means of acquiring players.  To simply relying on that alone is a recipe for having a team just tread water.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:


Reads like a book. Under Ballard, Colts teams are competitive with an elite QB under Center. Without an elite QB, the Colts are a .500 team or worse. 
 

I think @EastStreet nailed it, stating the Colts benefitted from a weak schedule in 2020, which gave a lot fans the feeling that the Colts are contenders. 
 

This team still lacks impact players and good depth, until they “develop”. 

I think we have talent. And some of it is held back either by scheme or by position assigned.

 

East's Make Colts Great Again Plan (or Build Colts Back Better if you wish)

  • Offense
    • More play action, RPO, and hurry up
    • 2 back sets in short yardage situations every other short yardage down
    • 1 20+ yard attempt every 10 offensive plays
    • dump every depth OT we have and sign Okung
    • run more power gap (run game) with JT, and zone with Mack and Hines
    • Move Pitt to bully slot and X2. Move TY to speed slot and Z2. Campbell to Z1, Strachan at X1. Pascal floats between X3 and slot
    • More 4 vert routes. Sail routes. Deep slants.
  • Defense
    • Draft a true FS next year, but in the mean time, move RYS there or move Tell back to FS
    • Move Blackmon to SS. Use Willis only in box sets
    • If RYS stays at outside CB, let him jam/press at the LOS.
    • Reduce cushion in general
    • Go back to a time share at MIKE. Franklin on early downs, Oke on passing downs.
  • General
    • move play calling... 
    • replace analytics card with magic 8 ball
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, SR711 said:

 

Exactly and a perfect summary of the roster construction of this team over the past several years.  

 

The real reason IMO for this is relying way too much on the draft to fill holes instead of mixing up more FAs and buy low type trades.

 

Turay, Banagou, Campbell, Ya-Sin, Lewis are all 2nd round picks who have not come close to being any type of impact level players.   (Three of those guys are DE, pass rush types.  Any coincidence that this is an area where the D continues to struggle?)

 

The odds are, at this point, none of them will develop into playmaker types with us which means future draft capital will have to spent in order to correct these misses.  For example, our top two draft picks from this past year were spent on two DEs instead of perhaps quality O-line depth. 

 

The irony is that I consider Ballard to be pretty good at drafting.  The bottom line is that the draft is as much of a crapshoot as FA or other means of acquiring players.  To simply relying on that alone is a recipe for having a team just tread water.  


He’s missed on a lot of high draft capital picks including M. Hooker. If, he’s building most exclusively through the draft, he can ill afford to continue doing that. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

He's spot on. Especially from the business side commentary.

 

 

 

 This talking head is such a LOSER!  

 Oh yes, every team should be able to put out a healthy, quality o-line under all circumstances, all season long. Life is tough in the NFL.

 Gee, Aaron Donald IS pretty good.

 We do have a number of young players that are playing a lot of very mediocre snaps. That is why a Wise fan should have the common sense to accept this as a "DEVELOPMENT" Season.  

 Yes, by December we are going to have a much better sense of where the ceiling is for our 2nd and 3rd year players. 

 It is painful to watch a D-line be so ineffective. As were our LB'ers, as was Moore. As was our safeties.

 But we WERE in the game against a TOP Team. 

  All this "fan" whinning is sickening!!  This is your team. They kept fighting, and will keep trying to get better.

 

 These modern day GLADIATORS are putting their long term physical health on the line every day to Entertain You.

 Win, Lose, or Draw these are Your Warriors, Your Coaching Staff, digging with all they have to be their best on game day. But so are their opponents!

 GO COLTS!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...