Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Rams at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You still haven’t figured out that this franchise doesn’t do knee-jerk over-reaction.   

You might want Fkuss fired, but Reich and Ballard won’t make a move in-season like that.   Especially after week #3.    They won’t play the scape goat card. 

Especially since it's week 3. By week 10 there won't be anyone left to scapegoat if we start firing people this early. 

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Nickster said:

1. Pittman did the stuff he does well.  I have doubts if he can be a good team’s leading receiver, put looked good doing some of that dirty work he can do.

2. Maybe Jonathan Taylor isn’t really all that great after all.  He seems to need clear, smooth Wisconsin type running lanes.  Bought the jersey last year (well, cheap knock off), but he is very indecisive.  He has chances to take 2 or 3 yds and runs into the guards and just stops himself. I thought Mack looked good enough to try.  Staff must have been frustrated with Taylor 2nd half, cause he barely played.  Play action to Mack was effective after he gained 4 or 5 on a stretch type run.  This is the type of crap Frank wants to do, but Taylor is poor running parallel to the LOs and Rivers couldn’t play under center.  I’ve said for a while we need an RB who can run parallel type plays.  I’d love to see some sort of two back scheme.  All three Colts RBs are dynamic and could really put today’s 4-2 type defenses in some tough situations.

3.  Wentz can’t last playing like that. Never really watched him, but he’s like Luck and can’t hold up playing with that reckless, head first abandon.  He’s really good and fun to watch, but I think the probability is high his injury issues persist.

4.  Lines not great to say the least.  We have to hope Paye and the Achilles guy are top 10 type players,  if not our Dline is nothing special.  Oline should be good.  I can’t believe you don’t play Fisher at the end if he’s available.  Dumbfounded

5.  Stafford gets a lot of praise for a guy whose never won feces.  I don’t think he gives them much if any better chances to win over Goff

I agree with most of this

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

The Defense:

Willis is a decent run stopper. He is a liability over the top. 

How can the run D be this bad? Was Walker really that good, and they let him walk for peanuts? The only one that was playing on the D-Line was Buckner. 

WHERE IS THE PASS RUSH???? Absolutely unacceptable how bad the Colts are off the edge. 

I'm so sick of the D giving 10 yard cushions. How many times did the Rams march down the field on 14 yard throws? 

I'll give it up to Rock Ya-Sin. He's the only one in the secondary that's been playing the last two games. 

The Offense: 

I'm beyond tired of watching the team come out and look great for the first 10-15 scripted plays and getting my hopes up that somehow Reich has become a good play caller. If you can't make in-game adjustments, then give the dang reigns to someone who can!!! 

The quick throws were destroying the Rams, yet Reich keeps calling for more long developing plays. Insanity. 

Why wasn't Doyle (who was killing them) and Mo-Allie (seems to be an after though in this offense) targeted more? It's like Reich has no concept of going back to what works. 

Running up the middle 4x........... "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Why didn't they run it to the left more where the only two O-linemen that were blocking were at????? 

Having your backup QB come in and try to start flinging passes down the field and all the sudden start playing Air Raid offense is inexcusable. 

Leaving Davenport on an island is just dumb. Especially against Aaron Donald. There is no excuse for not having TE's at the very least chipping. 

Wentz looked really good. He played great for little help he got.

I hope he is ok. That replay looked nasty.

I think Mo is having to stay in and block more.

16 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I’d keep Carson out the next four weeks. This team needs that 1st round pick and it’s likely to be a high one. Wentz can play but we need more elite talent at the WR position and DB. That 1st will get us that hopefully ballard solves the rush or corner play with a high pick. 

More like 6 games to guarantee we keep our pick

16 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I’d keep Carson out the next four weeks. This team needs that 1st round pick and it’s likely to be a high one. Wentz can play but we need more elite talent at the WR position and DB. That 1st will get us that hopefully ballard solves the rush or corner play with a high pick. 

More like 6 games to guarantee we keep our pick

Most fans try to blame specific players for their losses. It may be a total system failure - the parts got "put together" wrong. What I mean is that the players are configured according to traditional football schemes assuming average players. Schemes and plays must be taylored to the specific individuals playing in order to take advantage of their best skills, and overcome their weaknesses. This doesn't seem to be the case.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Does anyone realize how close Hines was to winning the game on the last play. He had only one tackle to break.

That was honestly a really good play design for that situation.  The play design is there it’s just the use of the play designs in the red zone that’s the issue.

18 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

Annnnnd that’s why I made my original post. Because people will blame the coach because it’s easy. There’s far more to this teams problems than play calling. Case in point, first half of last season vs the last half of the season.

People won’t like aggressive play calling. This goes into your post. I like an  aggressive play caller because it fits my mindset of how the game should be played. 

And, just like Frank, you would lose most of those situations, especially after the league and every fan in the world knows you are going to go for it.  His play calling is not aggressive.  It's flat out horrible.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That was honestly a really good play design for that situation.  The play design is there it’s just the use of the play designs in the red zone that’s the issue.

The sad part is, after watching that final play go down, I thought "wow, this was the best designed, well executed play we've seen all game" Idk whether that makes me want to laugh or cry.

19 hours ago, bWild said:

Gotta take the points when they’re there. Can’t keep leaving them on the field. It cost us last year, too. This Mickey Mouse nonsense doesn’t fly in the NFL.

Got to start scoring TD's, not FG's in the red zone.  It is easy to second guess after the game, but when you march the ball down the field, 1st and goal on the 1 1/2 yard line; you have to be able to get the TD.  Frank's/Offenses problem in not kicking FGs, it is not scoring TDs, same as last year

Along with many others, the three biggest concerns I have are:

1. Red Zone Playcalling - I don't mind being aggressive and going for it on 4th down etc...  my issue is consistently trying old school football and trying to pound the ball right up the middle. I much prefer taking shots at the endzone on earlier downs and if you are going to run it - spread the other team out with like 3 wrs to open up space and then run it.  Drives me insane.

2.  Backup OT - Obvious 2 weeks in a row, teams are attacking Davenport.  Rams kept moving Donald to left end on critical plays and we didn't adjust and provide help etc...

3.  Pass Rush from DEs - same problem as last year.  You win with consistent pressure from the front four.  Hopefully Paye develops as season goes on.

Stephen Holder is still defending his journalism today. He doesn’t see anything wrong with the questions asked of Reich. He doesn’t seem to understand you can ask better questions without being rude. They ask Reich the same question in the same way about the fourth down calls. It’s always what goes into your thinking. Instead it should be so you think you’d play calling is getting stale and predictable.

7 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

1. Red Zone Playcalling - I don't mind being aggressive and going for it on 4th down etc...  my issue is consistently trying old school football and trying to pound the ball right up the middle. I much prefer taking shots at the endzone on earlier downs and if you are going to run it - spread the other team out with like 3 wrs to open up space and then run it.  Drives me insane.

Spreading it out and then run seems like a reasonable alternative to what we did 3 straight plays.

Passing would have got Wentz sacked.  Whoops, nine yard loss on second down.  Not good, accept maybe it would have forced Frank to take the FG. LOL

But I think the identity of this team is supposed to be the oline.  I don't know if I like that as an identity, but if it is, we should be able to get a yard on three straight plays.  We almost did three times too. 

We didn't really have a chance to take a shot in the end zone on the first drive since it was 3rd and 1 and JT got us ten yards.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I really bad word to use would something different like, say, inexcusable.  Nobody is looking for excuses.  We are looking for acceptable play.

Unacceptable is fine. Just because you don't accept something, doesn't mean you fire someone when it happens. For instance there are plenty unacceptable behaviors/crimes. Just because we don't impose a death penalty on a murderer or rapist, doesn't mean the behavior is acceptable. 

Too much freakin word spin. Everyone knows what he is saying.

Just a thought looking at these snap counts. This is a passing league don’t you guys think we need to use our best pass rushers more on 1st and second down. Also Joel Erickson menfioed wouldn’t Turay and Banogu speed help with some of these boot legs so many teams run. These snap counts are way to low for these two guys.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Just a thought looking at these snap counts. This is a passing league don’t you guys think we need to use our best pass rushers more on 1st and second down. Also Joel Erickson menfioed wouldn’t Turay and Banogu speed help with some of these boot legs so many teams run. These snap counts are way to low for these two guys.

IDK.  I think its a function of Turay and Ben being not very good players at the moment.

Just now, JediXMan said:

I wouldn’t mind if they give Will Fries some snaps. You know what you have in Davenport and it’s bad. Also I thought Granson would play a bigger part of the offense guess that’s not the case.

Hopefully Smith is back. Fisher played 73% of the snaps so I assume he will play the entire game. It would be funny if the line is all healthy and Eason gets great protection and we win.

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

I wouldn’t mind if they give Will Fries some snaps. You know what you have in Davenport and it’s bad. Also I thought Granson would play a bigger part of the offense guess that’s not the case.

Granson can't block and the team has blocking issues, that one isnt tough to figure out. Also, rookie TEs struggle to produce. I think as the line gets healthier, you'll see him contribute a bit more.

Ok its been a day of getting over the dismal performance.   The initial drives look so good and then nothing.  Very frustrating.

0-2 isn't the end all for this team.  If you remember the 2001 patriots, they looked like one of the worst teams of all time in their first two games then ended up winning it all.  Not saying that is what will happen here of course but there is some hope.

If they can just win next week then that is the start to taking the division and that should be the main focus.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Hopefully Smith is back. Fisher played 73% of the snaps so I assume he will play the entire game. It would be funny if the line is all healthy and Eason gets great protection and we win.

That's my biggest hope if Eason plays next week, that we have all our starters on the OL because while they all struggled I think once Davenport is out of the line-up and Smith is back we will see a huge jump in our run/pass blocking.

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Ok its been a day of getting over the dismal performance.   The initial drives look so good and then nothing.  Very frustrating.

0-2 isn't the end all for this team.  If you remember the 2001 patriots, they looked like one of the worst teams of all time in their first two games then ended up winning it all.  Not saying that is what will happen here of course but there is some hope.

If they can just win next week then that is the start to taking the division and that should be the main focus.

Don’t go into the Titans- Colts predictions thread it pessimistic city in there lol.

17 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

That's my biggest hope if Eason plays next week, that we have all our starters on the OL because while they all struggled I think once Davenport is out of the line-up and Smith is back we will see a huge jump in our run/pass blocking.

I am not going to sugar coat things but the oline is probably built better to protect a pocket passer then a guy like Wentz. Eason will probably also take more checkdowns AI Hines and Taylor will probably have better games.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am not going to sugar coat things but the oline is probably built better to protect a pocket passer then a guy like Wentz. Eason will probably also take more checkdowns AI Hines and Taylor will probably have better games.

Kelly had an elbow, Smith's foot, Q's back, Fisher's ACL (he looked okay though).. there's some dude named Julian Davenport, he's bad. 

Glow must be doing okay-ish, dunno what's up there. Don't say his name much.

Yeah, they're not playing well, but there's reasons for it that aren't "they all suck and don't know what they're doing". If there was some consistency and health there, they'd play well in any arrangement (and the unit is paid that way).

Fisher played well as did Q of course. Kelly, Glow, Davenport were terrible. Kelly didn't get any push and whiffed on several plays. Glow played against Donald a bunch, but still. Pryor looked decent. 

I don't have a problem with four runs from the 1 yard line. How many times in the past have we complained about getting fancy when we need a yard? I would have taken the fg, but if I went for it, I would have pounded it on 4th as well. 

I still would like to see all 5 olinemen playing for a couple games before we start making crazy statements. Last year, I believe the starting line played almost every game together.

That left side was solid. Q was even back to scanning the line to see who to help as Fisher didn't need any. And with a healthy Smith back, maybe Glow starts paying attention to his own assignment. 

We didn't play well consistently against a very good team but it was a winnable game down to the wire. Assuming Wentz isn't hurt badly, I still think we'll be OK. 15 games to go. 

Archived