Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How is this team so hurt every year

Jackie Daytona

With key, key guys.  I know every team has injuries.... But what gives? This team did a lot less than they historically have as far as I tense off-season work.... No teams do what they did ten years ago..... But it seems there's a direct correlation between minimizing grueling off-season workouts and practices, and increasing long term in season injuries.... The Pacers seem to have a strategy of picking chronically hurt guys, but with the colts this seems to be a newer phenomenon.... Leonard talking like he's gonna be out for the year soon, Q with chronic back issues, Smith got paid and is hurt, TY is a walking trauma unit now it feels like, and Rhodes is still hurt.... Kelly is always hurt to some degree....What on earth it's not even past freakin week 2

20 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

With key, key guys.  I know every team has injuries.... But what gives? This team did a lot less than they historically have as far as I tense off-season work.... No teams do what they did ten years ago..... But it seems there's a direct correlation between minimizing grueling off-season workouts and practices, and increasing long term in season injuries.... The Pacers seem to have a strategy of picking chronically hurt guys, but with the colts this seems to be a newer phenomenon.... Leonard talking like he's gonna be out for the year soon, Q with chronic back issues, Smith got paid and is hurt, TY is a walking trauma unit now it feels like, and Rhodes is still hurt.... Kelly is always hurt to some degree....What on earth it's not even past freakin week 2

One huge problem is they draft hurt players. 

18 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

I feel the same way.. but have absolutely no data to back it up.. maybe it's just a homer thing?

But I feel like we def have HUGE injuries every week. I still remember a couple years back, Leonard finished a game then was deemed out with a concussion for three weeks. That same day and game slot time. Josh Allen got knocked the bleep out against the patriots and didn't miss a week

34 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

So last year we weren't so bad.... This is what I needed... At least confirmation bias can be ignored.

Over the last 10ish years, we have been hurt on the higher end of the spectrum.

But I'd add that 9 of the 11 most hurt teams (last 11 years) have been to the SB.

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Over the last 10ish years, we have been hurt on the higher end of the spectrum.

But I'd add that 9 of the 11 most hurt teams (last 11 years) have been to the SB.

It just seems like we aren't losing the guys at the end of the depth chart, it feels like it's always our starters multiple weeks.... But, I could be a total homer here

Just now, SchlicterSZN said:

It just seems like we aren't losing the guys at the end of the depth chart, it feels like it's always our starters multiple weeks.... But, I could be a total homer here

The man-games-lost takes into account total games lost (left to right plot), but also the quality of the man, that is lost (size of bubble).

11 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

They are.... There and Montreal.  It's who's making them lol.  Bagels are all about technique

I love Montréal.  Among other things….They have a great bakery school with perfect croissants.  

only 6 hours from me.  I planned on going in august but the ban was extended 

You have to put some of the blame on the players. They didn't wanna do a normal off-season workout to prepare for training camp and then all the injuries started and then Kevin Bowen mentioned training camp wasn't too physical add that to the fact basically no one played in the pre-season and you get an unprepared team both physically and mentally. Don't get me wrong, I still think we have a good team.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Just got to send these guys to high altitude in Denver or even Albuquerque a bit to train, and let them come back before training camp here, lol :)

Or let them go through the TB12 regimen and subscribe to it.  :) 

IDK... Didn't Luck screw up years for us by going to Denver lol... Or was he snow boarding somewhere else.

18 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

One huge problem is they draft hurt players. 

LMAO! ALL  players have/or had injuries coming out of college.
 You can whine about the guys that may not be ready for any playing time early in their rookie season, waaa, waaa, waaa.
 YOU would do the same thing if you really liked a player and thought the draft capital was a bargain.
 Welcome to the NFL!

The most obvious answer to the injury problem is their needs to be less weight lifting and more stretching.

19 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You can whine about the guys that may not be ready for any playing time early in their rookie season, waaa, waaa, waaa.
 YOU would do the same thing if you really liked a player and thought the draft capital was a bargain.
 Welcome to the NFL!

The most obvious answer to the injury problem is their needs to be less weight lifting and more stretching.

I don't really have issue with drafting a hurt player that won't contribute right away. Especially if he's considered a bargain.

I do have a bit of problem when you dump both DE starters though, knowing one of the replacements won't be able to contribute 1st half of the season.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't really have issue with drafting a hurt player that won't contribute right away. Especially if he's considered a bargain.

I do have a bit of problem when you dump both DE starters though, knowing one of the replacements won't be able to contribute 1st half of the season.

In fairness, I think they wanted one back, he just took the money and ran when the TN offer was better.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

And CB and the coaching staff probably felt very good with the DE group they had at cutdown. This is a development season with so much youth and a new QB. 
 Do you keep a veteran a year too long... ?
Perhaps if we had taken a LT in round one they would have brought Houston back. Kwity or bust now!

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

And CB and the coaching staff probably felt very good with the DE group they had at cutdown. This is a development season with so much youth and a new QB. 
 Do you keep a veteran a year too long... ?
Perhaps if we had taken a LT in round one they would have brought Houston back. Kwity or bust now!

Obviously they didn't feel too good, or confident, because they did try to keep Autry. They just low balled him. And then made no other move at DE (unless you count Rochell).

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Welcome to the NFL!

Laugh all you like. I wouldn’t be drafting players that have torn Achilles and ACL injuries just before the draft. There are enough healthy players available to draft. 

On 9/17/2021 at 4:26 PM, SchlicterSZN said:

I understand your feeling.

I'm getting that same kind of vibe I had back in 2016, and 2015.  When, for two solid years, Pagano was never able to put on the field the roster he intended.  There were always multiple injuries among key starters.  These guys are hurt.  Then those guys are hurt.  And then these other guys are hurt.  Now these guys are out for the season.  Over and over and over again.

I know, I know.  It's only been one game.  But through the preseason, and now into the season, the #1 issue for the team seems to be who isn't available to play due to injury.

Archived