Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL, TEs, and Frank


Recommended Posts

Realisticly we all know the offensive line is in trouble. Eric Fisher is 30 plus coming off an achilles tear, expecting him to be pro bowl caliber this year would be very unrealistic. I have a strong feeling Smith was playing the whole game injured and that can't be good. (Any updates on Braden)  I think Frank did his best work as a play caller in heavy TE sets with Philly. Maybe we should get two TEs out there assisting our tackles more often. Doyle can block and catch, not so sure about Mo and Granson blocking. I feel like this could slow down Rams rush and open up the play book for Frank and Wentz. Could this work personnel wise for us?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Realisticly we all know the offensive line is in trouble. Eric Fisher is 30 plus coming off an achilles tear, expecting him to be pro bowl caliber this year would be very unrealistic. I have a strong feeling Smith was playing the whole game injured and that can't be good. (Any updates on Braden)  I think Frank did his best work as a play caller in heavy TE sets with Philly. Maybe we should get two TEs out there assisting our tackles more often. Doyle can block and catch, not so sure about Mo and Granson blocking. I feel like this could slow down Rams rush and open up the play book for Frank and Wentz. Could this work personnel wise for us?

 

MAC is an excellent blocker.  I wouldn't count on Granson to block a LB though.

 

If Smith and Fisher are both out Sunday, it's going to be a long day for Wentz.  He took a beating last week and LA has a better D line.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why not.  I don't think we'll beat anybody in a shoot out until we can get pass rushers and DBs up to speed and TY returns.  Frank's keep away offense has to play even more keep away longer for the Colts to win, IMO.  Doyle and MAC can block, and its probably best just to go straight at Donald.

 

If we're going to run more than usual, I wonder if having Fisher in the game this week would be a big advantage over JD.

 

The other strategy would be to move the ball by lots of quick release throws.  Don't worry about the rush if the oline is hurt.  Just get in their way long enough to dump it to Taylor, Hines, Doyle, and MAC.  Just throw it up after 1.5 seconds to Strauchan's area for him to win the battles, lol.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Realisticly we all know the offensive line is in trouble. Eric Fisher is 30 plus coming off an achilles tear, expecting him to be pro bowl caliber this year would be very unrealistic. I have a strong feeling Smith was playing the whole game injured and that can't be good. (Any updates on Braden)  I think Frank did his best work as a play caller in heavy TE sets with Philly. Maybe we should get two TEs out there assisting our tackles more often. Doyle can block and catch, not so sure about Mo and Granson blocking. I feel like this could slow down Rams rush and open up the play book for Frank and Wentz. Could this work personnel wise for us?

If you are saying just for the Rams game..... I would agree

 

I dont expect a Colts win here..... 

 

I have hopes that this talented team will sync, and we will be competitive over the balance of the year

 

I still think we win the division

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I say why not? At the very least it should help with our pass & run blocking.

Though our TE group is nothing to write home about, neither is our WR group. So one less WR on the field isn't the worst thing in the world and going big TE I think could give us both better run/pass blocking and some creative options. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I say why not? At the very least it should help with our pass & run blocking.

Though our TE group is nothing to write home about, neither is our WR group. So one less WR on the field isn't the worst thing in the world and going big TE I think could give us both better run/pass blocking and some creative options. 

Don't have to all game but it would help. Or a split backs with Doyle and a RB in the back field.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Realisticly we all know the offensive line is in trouble. Eric Fisher is 30 plus coming off an achilles tear, expecting him to be pro bowl caliber this year would be very unrealistic. I have a strong feeling Smith was playing the whole game injured and that can't be good. (Any updates on Braden)  I think Frank did his best work as a play caller in heavy TE sets with Philly. Maybe we should get two TEs out there assisting our tackles more often. Doyle can block and catch, not so sure about Mo and Granson blocking. I feel like this could slow down Rams rush and open up the play book for Frank and Wentz. Could this work personnel wise for us?


I thought that would be the direction they would take, given how much Wentz played in 12 personnel in PHI (with and without Reich).
 

But then all they did was grab a 4th round HBack who can’t really block yet at the NFL level (or make big plays in the passing game). And brought back an aging Doyle and MAC, who are not likely going to add much to the passing game (as much as we all want MAC to be that TE1…he’s not).
 

So I debunk just don’t seem to have the personnel to run it and be a good offense. But Doyle or MAC really need to be out there to block now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

MAC is an excellent blocker.  I wouldn't count on Granson to block a LB though.

 

If Smith and Fisher are both out Sunday, it's going to be a long day for Wentz.  He took a beating last week and LA has a better D line.

Yup, MAC really has come far in that regard.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not really thrilled with our TE group.  I still think Ertz would be a great addition who would strengthen this unit considerably and would give Wentz an added familiar target to throw to.  Fortunately there is still plenty of time for a deal to come together.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Realisticly we all know the offensive line is in trouble. Eric Fisher is 30 plus coming off an achilles tear, expecting him to be pro bowl caliber this year would be very unrealistic. I have a strong feeling Smith was playing the whole game injured and that can't be good. (Any updates on Braden)  I think Frank did his best work as a play caller in heavy TE sets with Philly. Maybe we should get two TEs out there assisting our tackles more often. Doyle can block and catch, not so sure about Mo and Granson blocking. I feel like this could slow down Rams rush and open up the play book for Frank and Wentz. Could this work personnel wise for us?

 

Mo ranked elite or near elite in blocking last season.

 

IMO, if our OL struggles again like it did, leave a RB in. We're targeting RBs way too much anyway (predictable), and it's likely a product of bad OL and needing to hit the hot route / outlet valve. If we leave a RB in, QB has more time, and the hot route need decreases. Nothing at all wrong with RB passes in general, but it shouldn't become a "necessity" over being used as a weapon.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I say why not? At the very least it should help with our pass & run blocking.

Though our TE group is nothing to write home about, neither is our WR group. So one less WR on the field isn't the worst thing in the world and going big TE I think could give us both better run/pass blocking and some creative options. 

I actually think our Wr group is really talented. i believe 100 percent that frank does not know how to utilize them properly that's why there looking mediocre 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our O.Line played the worst I have seen it play since we drafted Nelson. Having said that Wentz was holding on to the ball way too long as well. I could see a huge difference between he and Rivers on how fast each got the ball out. I hope Wentz pans out but Rivers had it where it counted the most = upstairs. He was quick on what to do and good with reads.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our O.Line played the worst I have seen it play since we drafted Nelson. Having said that Wentz was holding on to the ball way too long as well. I could see a huge difference between he and Rivers on how fast each got the ball out. I hope Wentz pans out but Rivers had it where it counted the most = upstairs. He was quick on what to do and good with reads.

I agree with this, there was definitely some issues from both the oline and QB. Hopefully they both improve with getting healthy and more reps together as a unit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Coltsfan98 said:

I agree with this, there was definitely some issues from both the oline and QB. Hopefully they both improve with getting healthy and more reps together as a unit.

I actually thought Wentz played above average (not good-great but far from bad and a little better than average) but he was indecisive on many plays. That 4th and 3 play he had Hines wide open for an easy 1st and just held the ball and got sacked. That was ball game for sure then. People can bash Frank for going for it but actually the play was there to be made which is another topic and Wentz just froze. Blaming Reich for that is like blaming a coach on a 4th and 1 play where a RB has a clear 1st down but trips over his own 2 feet. One thing Rivers didn't do was let us fall to 0-2 after an embarrassing loss to the Jags last season. If we can somehow win this game Sunday and then win at Tennessee we control the division early.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Reich did a horrible job of helping our OT’s Leaving Davenport on an island most of the day was a huge error. Sometimes Reich seems lost and out coached 

Unfortunately... more often than not.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, DougDew said:

Why not.  I don't think we'll beat anybody in a shoot out until we can get pass rushers and DBs up to speed and TY returns.  Frank's keep away offense has to play even more keep away longer for the Colts to win, IMO.  Doyle and MAC can block, and its probably best just to go straight at Donald.

 

If we're going to run more than usual, I wonder if having Fisher in the game this week would be a big advantage over JD.

 

The other strategy would be to move the ball by lots of quick release throws.  Don't worry about the rush if the oline is hurt.  Just get in their way long enough to dump it to Taylor, Hines, Doyle, and MAC.  Just throw it up after 1.5 seconds to Strauchan's area for him to win the battles, lol.

If it takes the return of TY Hilton to make this team competitive, we are in deep trouble. TY shouldn't even be on this team taking up cap space. He is washed up.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I actually think our Wr group is really talented. i believe 100 percent that frank does not know how to utilize them properly that's why there looking mediocre 

They looked mediocre because that is what they are. Rivers covered a lot of that up last year. Wentz won't be able to do that. Bringing back TY Hilton was a terrible mistake. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Unfortunately... more often than not.

I look at Reich differently. He is much better than Chuck. Chuck wasn't bad, I liked him as a person and I would say he was an average coach, Reich is actually good, he just isn't great and that is what people want. Reich is a guy that will go for it and play to his QB's strengths, Chuck never went for it and his play calling was average at best. Chuck has a winning record because Andrew Luck carried him for a while. Reich has a record of 29-22 (including playoffs) having to deal with 4 different starting QB's in each of his years. Chuck was 2-2 in 2012, not 11-5 because Arians coached 12 games, after that Chuck was 46-42, overall Chuck was 47-43 and he had Andrew Luck full throttle in 2013 and 2014 at his best. So many people in here complained about Chuck saying he sucked because he would never go for it, now Reich does it and people still complain. It is incredible sometimes reading some of these posts. Had Luck not retired, Reich's record would be top notch IMO, people that say otherwise just hate ol Frank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our O.Line played the worst I have seen it play since we drafted Nelson. Having said that Wentz was holding on to the ball way too long as well. I could see a huge difference between he and Rivers on how fast each got the ball out. I hope Wentz pans out but Rivers had it where it counted the most = upstairs. He was quick on what to do and good with reads.

 

 Gee, Rivers is an all-time great at quick throws and Wentz is not that.
 Yup, Wentz better heave it in 2.2 or he will regret it!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 Gee, Rivers is an all-time great at quick throws and Wentz is not that.
 Yup, Wentz better heave it in 2.2 or he will regret it!!

I'm sorry but Rivers wouldn't be releasing it that quick last week. He would have gotten pummeled cause of his lack of mobility. I agree Wentz is a bit slower but he needs a consistent system to develop that chemistry to be that quick. We need Doyle and RB in a split back package with Jack picking up Wentz blindside when needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

TY shouldn't even be on this team taking up cap space. He is washed up.

I didn't agree when I first read this

3 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Bringing back TY Hilton was a terrible mistake. 

Reading it again didn't help. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 Gee, Rivers is an all-time great at quick throws and Wentz is not that.
 Yup, Wentz better heave it in 2.2 or he will regret it!!

I doubt that he can do that and see who is open and make an accurate throw. Only a few QBs can do that and Wentz isn't one of them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 11:03 AM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Realisticly we all know the offensive line is in trouble. Eric Fisher is 30 plus coming off an achilles tear, expecting him to be pro bowl caliber this year would be very unrealistic. I have a strong feeling Smith was playing the whole game injured and that can't be good. (Any updates on Braden)  I think Frank did his best work as a play caller in heavy TE sets with Philly. Maybe we should get two TEs out there assisting our tackles more often. Doyle can block and catch, not so sure about Mo and Granson blocking. I feel like this could slow down Rams rush and open up the play book for Frank and Wentz. Could this work personnel wise for us?

Braden out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I doubt that he can do that and see who is open and make an accurate throw. Only a few QBs can do that and Wentz isn't one of them.

 

 I would believe he did it successfully several times in game one, with accuracy.

 But of course you need receivers that are great fighting their way off the line and they have to be able to haul it in knowing contact will be sudden and often very physical. 

 Yip, practice practice practice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 I would believe he did it successfully several times in game one, with accuracy.

 But of course you need receivers that are great fighting their way off the line and they have to be able to haul it in knowing contact will be sudden and often very physical. 

 Yip, practice practice practice.

He successfully got rid of the ball and made completions in 2.2 seconds? It seemed like he took much longer to me but I didn't have a stop watch on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...