Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Stat Ranks after Week1

EastStreet

Keep in mind this is week 1 and a small sample. Things like INTs, Sacks, etc. will be skewed and overall we'll see a lot of ties. The broader categories, less skewed.

Keeping it simple. Going quartile.

Top 8 (1-8) bolded blue

Bottom 8 (25-32) bolded red

TLDR Summary - far too little blue. The D looks bad in just about every area. At least on O, the OL can get healthy.. Good chance our numbers get worse (if not already THE worst) in some areas if things don't change this weekend.

Overall FPI: 19th (down 3)
Offense: 19th
Defense: 16th
STs: 20th
-------------------------
Overall Efficiency: 27th
Offensive Efficiency: 26th
Defensive Efficiency: 29th

Special Teams Efficiency: 15th
---------------------
Current SOS: 13th
Remaining SOS: 29th
Playoff %: 50.9%
Win Division %: 47.0%
---------------------------
Yards Per Game: 22nd
Yards Per Play: 25th
Points Per Game: 25th
Points Per Play: 26th

Punts Per Play: 16th
RZ%: 20th
3rd Down%: 17th
Time Of Possession: 3rd
Team Run Block Win Rate: 13th
Rush Attmpts PG: 8th
Rush YPG: 17th
Rush YPA: 21st
Rush Play%: 16th
Rush TD%: 28th
Rush 1D%: 11th
Rush Yards%: 12th
------------------------
Team Pass Block Win Rate: 23rd
Pass Attmps PG: 11th
Completion%: 18th
Pass YPG: 21st 
Pass YPA: 24th
QB Sack%: 26th
Pass TD%: 1st-10th
Passing 1D%: 18th
Passer Rating: 13th
Pass Play%: 17th
Pass Yard%: 21st
PP Game Allowed: 20th
PP Play Allowed: 27th
RZ%: Last (tied)

3rd Down %: 17th
Total YPG Allowed: 14th
YP Play Allowed: 29th
Team Run Stop Win Rate: 16th-21st
Rush YPG Allowed: 25th
Rush YPA Allowed: 28th

Rush 1D% Allowed: 21st
--------------------------
Team Pass Rush Win Rate: 19th
Completion% Allowed: 32nd
Pass YPG Aloowd: 13th
Pass YPA Allowed: 29th
Passer Rating Allowed: 31st

Sack%: 4th
Pass 1D% Allowed: 23rd
------------------------------
Penalty YPG: 2nd
Opponent Penalty YPG: 16th

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Shows why we lost the game so bad. Our inefficiency was evident. That being said, there is lots of room for improvement, and our guys have balled out before. We’ve seen their best and of course their worst. I’m ready for week 2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Shows why we lost the game so bad. Our inefficiency was evident. 

At first, I comforted myself saying "well it's Wilson" after he turned in a career performance in Passer Rating.

Then I was reminded Minshew also had a career high Passer Rating against our Pass D... 

yay.gif

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

At first, I comforted myself saying "well it's Wilson" after he turned in a career performance in Passer Rating.

Then I was reminded Minshew also had a career high Passer Rating against our Pass D... 

yay.gif

Awesome breakdown.   You really spend a lot of your time researching this stuff.  I just hope the coaching staff figured out what went wrong and hope they are smart enough to fix it.   

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Awesome breakdown.   You really spend a lot of your time researching this stuff.  I just hope the coaching staff figured out what went wrong and hope they are smart enough to fix it.   

A lot of copy/paste while on mindless conference calls.  I multitask well lol. 

I read the stuff every week regardless, and if I have time, share.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I appreciate the effort you put into this, but week 1-2, there just isn't enough data. 

Week 1 is more or less a snapshot our our game 1. Nothing more, nothing less.

It, and next week, will likely open a lot of eyes for those who bought into the "elite D" narrative last year, especially the pass D.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Week 1 is more or less a snapshot our our game 1. Nothing more, nothing less.

It, and next week, will likely open a lot of eyes for those who bought into the "elite D" narrative last year, especially the pass D.

Our defense started pretty bad early last year. There's no question that defense can be elite. 

The players were clearly out of position when they got burnt. Seemed to be a scheme issue, not a talent issue. There is no reason Willis and Blackmon should be 1 on 1 with lockett when we have the best slot corner in the league. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Our defense started pretty bad early last year. There's no question that defense can be elite. 

The players were clearly out of position when they got burnt. Seemed to be a scheme issue, not a talent issue. There is no reason Willis and Blackmon should be 1 on 1 with lockett when we have the best slot corner in the league. 

Disagree. Willis doesn't have the speed for coverage outside of the box. Blackmon has had coverage issues going back to college.

They have limitations. Now I do agree it's dumb to play Willis in C2 vs a Wilson/Lockett/DK threesome, but he is nonetheless limited more than a lot of other SSs. He is great in the box though.

Our pass D was never elite last year. Just about every decent QB put up 300 yards against us. We were decent in INTs in a few games. But mostly we played well vs bad QBs, and badly vs good ones. Our stat ranks took a complete nose dive the 2nd half of the season in the Pass D space.

And now our run D looked horrible, which is at least a little surprising to me. The pass D struggles were expected. Teams have tape on us now.

• Thanks 1

The team played poorly all around.

But to me, the two big hitters over the top... especially the one like 3rd and 20 before half broke our spirits and our backs.  The single most important thing for a D, imo.  Dont get hit by the big  play over the top.  Make them work.

inexcusable. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

A lot of copy/paste while on mindless conference calls.  I multitask well lol. 

I read the stuff every week regardless, and if I have time, share.

Are you saying you got paid to do this?

This data shows we were mediocre at best in areas that count on both sides of the ball.  Time of possession is great if you turn it into points, but doesn't really matter if you turn the ball over on downs.  And it doesn't really matter when you let other teams throw over the top of you and score TDs with a handful of plays.

I do like to look at the pts for and pts against as a pretty easy indicator.  Certainly doesn't provide any analytical information about what to improve on.  And this is only one game but if we are giving up 28 points a game we will lose a lot of games.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody that thought/predicted that this D might be top 5/ Elite, wouldn't have expected THAT to start the season. There obviously is too much youth, too many new personnel to be there early in the season.
 I love stats, but football has so many variables that produces a final score so of course ONLY over a period of time do you get a degree of meaning.

Hopefully, with good health, we can become a really solid D, say by the last 5 games or there abouts.

7 hours ago, gspdx said:

Are you saying you got paid to do this?

This data shows we were mediocre at best in areas that count on both sides of the ball.  Time of possession is great if you turn it into points, but doesn't really matter if you turn the ball over on downs.  And it doesn't really matter when you let other teams throw over the top of you and score TDs with a handful of plays.

I do like to look at the pts for and pts against as a pretty easy indicator.  Certainly doesn't provide any analytical information about what to improve on.  And this is only one game but if we are giving up 28 points a game we will lose a lot of games.  

LOL.. I do most in the evening, and most of time over a few nights. If I'm herding cats on a conf call (most of my cats are well trained), and the conf call is meaningless, then I'll do some copy/paste instead of letting my mind become unoccupied. 

On the stats, just shows the Seahawks didn't need time to torch us lol... ToP is great and all if you're having success in the running game and long scoring drives, but this is the perfect example of where ToP means little. 

And yes, just one game. But it's a game that highlights where we stink. And the eye test pretty much tracked with all the stats and grades we've seen. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, IinD said:

I'd like to go with:

Straight trash Week 1 for $200 please.

"The Shoe"

"Peyton"

Who are The Indianapolis Colts?

That's correct, pick again ..

$400 please.

"Burnt Toast"

What is the Indy secondary.

That's correct, pick again... 

• Haha 1

Straight trash Week 1 for $200 please.

"The Shoe"

"Peyton"

Who are The Indianapolis Colts?

That's correct, pick again ..

------------------------------------------

$400 please.

"Burnt Toast"

What is the Indy secondary.

That's correct, pick again... 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really clever funny stuff, guys......very good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

On the bright side, it can't get much worse. That's just an observation, not a challenge to see how bad it can get.

We're only one game out of first place!

I think I hear that every year about this time.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

Well, there is almost no where but to go up, hopefully...

Actually, we can go down a long ways.

After LA, we have...at Titans, at Dolphins, at Ravens, Texans, at 49ers, Titans....

and later... at Bills, Bucs, at Cardinals, Pats, Raiders.

25 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

After LA, we have...at Titans, at Dolphins, at Ravens, Texans, at 49ers, Titans....

We also play the Jags twice, Texans twice, and the Jets. Things even out, we are just as good as the Pats, Dolphins, and Raiders - they are no powerhouses and I am not sure the Titans are after last week.

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We also play the Jags twice, Texans twice, and the Jets. Things even out, we are just as good as the Pats, Dolphins, and Raiders - they are no powerhouses and I am not sure the Titans are after last week.

We just have to get healthy on the OL, and to be frank, a lot better on D.... 

Seattle's trenches are not that good, yet spanked us on both sides.

At present, we are tied for last in the league.... and we are what our record says we are lol. So the Texans are better than us. And we're on par with Jax... And we have dropping our yearly game to Jax to look for.....

I jest.. of course. But at the same time serious.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-20-at-8.49.55-AM.png

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We just have to get healthy on the OL, and to be frank, a lot better on D.... 

Seattle's trenches are not that good, yet spanked us on both sides.

At present, we are tied for last in the league.... and we are what our record says we are lol. So the Texans are better than us. And we're on par with Jax... And we have dropping our yearly game to Jax to look for.....

I jest.. of course. But at the same time serious.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-20-at-8.49.55-AM.png

We will see how the season plays out, I think we will lose on Sunday but if we win that game that would be a huge boost. To your comment, I have seen many years where teams have had a huge point differential in the positive and only be 8-8 and then teams that are barely in the negative be 11-5 lol. I'll take a quote from Magic Johnson, after the Lakers beat Boston 107-106 in Game 4 of the 1987 Finals "Doesn't matter if you win by 30 or by 1, as long as you win".

All people in the end care about is winning to have that good record.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will see how the season plays out, I think we will lose on Sunday but if we win that game that would be a huge boost. To your comment, I have seen many years where teams have had a huge point differential in the positive and only be 8-8 and then teams that are barely in the negative be 11-5 lol. I'll take a quote from Magic Johnson, after the Lakers beat Boston 107-106 in Game 4 of the Finals "Doesn't matter if you win by 30 or by 1, as long as you win".

All people in the end care about is winning to have that good record.

Frankly I don't care if we win by 1 or 50. 

50 is a lot easier to watch though...

Bottom line, we have a lot of problems that need fixing. Almost 99.... lol

• Off season OL depth moves were bad at OT, even though we 100% knew we'd have to rely on them early.
  • OL in general played far under their salaries sans Nelson and Glow. 
  • Carroll and Waldron out coached Eberflus and ran our D around yard. C2 vs Wilson/Lockett/DK begged exploitation.
  • Carrol and Norton out coached Reich and Brady and shut most things down despite a pretty decent game from Wentz.
  • Our "elite" pass D was atrocious except for the RYS who most fans love to rip. Both safeties and our top NB got torched.
  • Our DL took a step back from what most called a meh 2020, and gave up a huge rushing AVG
  • Our biggest extensions thus far (DL and Smith) both played horrible, and now both are hobbled.

Winning this weekend would go a long way to quiet some of narratives. Long shot to happen though. Would love to see it.

Needs to start with coaching and game plan, to put our guys in better positions to succeed. If we see Willis in C2 a lot vs Stafford, we know Flus learned zero. If Reich doesn't leave a RB in while both our OTs are getting boat raced, he learned nothing.

Starting to think our O will have to win a lot of games for us this year.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Frankly I don't care if we win by 1 or 50. 

50 is a lot easier to watch though...

Bottom line, we have a lot of problems that need fixing. Almost 99.... lol

• Off season OL depth moves were bad at OT, even though we 100% knew we'd have to rely on them early.
  • OL in general played far under their salaries sans Nelson and Glow. 
  • Carroll and Waldron out coached Eberflus and ran our D around yard. C2 vs Wilson/Lockett/DK begged exploitation.
  • Carrol and Norton out coached Reich and Brady and shut most things down despite a pretty decent game from Wentz.
  • Our "elite" pass D was atrocious except for the RYS who most fans love to rip. Both safeties and our top NB got torched.
  • Our DL took a step back from what most called a meh 2020, and gave up a huge rushing AVG
  • Our biggest extensions thus far (DL and Smith) both played horrible, and now both are hobbled.

Winning this weekend would go a long way to quiet some of narratives. Long shot to happen though. Would love to see it.

Needs to start with coaching and game plan, to put our guys in better positions to succeed. If we see Willis in C2 a lot vs Stafford, we know Flus learned zero. If Reich doesn't leave a RB in while both our OTs are getting boat raced, he learned nothing.

Starting to think our O will have to win a lot of games for us this year.

I agree, after last week there is a lot of improvement needed. It will be interesting to see if Stafford can have the same success that Wilson did. If he does, that doesn't bode well for the future. I hope we just had 1 bad game but we are about to find out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, after last week there is a lot of improvement needed. It will be interesting to see if Stafford can have the same success that Wilson did. If he does, that doesn't bode well for the future. I hope we just had 1 bad game but we are about to find out. 

Stafford does things a bit differently, but he'll get his yards. To me what will be interesting is if our coaches learned, or fail to make adjustments. Not a lot you can do about injuries at this point, but you can coach and game plan better.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Teams that start 0-2 rarely make the playoffs, since the 2000 season I think it is something like 13% of teams that do. 

I'd give Indy a better chance simply because our schedule is much much weaker down the stretch.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

That's why I wrote "almost" ;)