Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Strachan the Redux


Scott Pennock
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know there is a lot of angst when it comes to him.....7th rounder......Division II School......enter this article written by Zach Hicks, who clearly reads the message boards as he referred to Strachan as "MegaStrachan" in the article.....lol

 

Link to Article:  https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/temper-expectations-for-michael-strachan-year-one

 

Of note from the article itself if you choose not to read the entire thing:  

"Historical Data is Not on His Side

Doing some recent historical research into wide receivers taken in the seventh round led me to this interesting article by Corey Spala of TheFantasyAuthority.com. Spala dove into the recent history of rookie wide receivers and divided up players based on their targets in their rookie season.

 

Going back to 2011, Spala looked at the 238 receivers taken in the NFL Draft. In his chart (that is in the article linked here) he has 28 receivers taken in the seventh round over that time. Of those 28 receivers, each and every one of them had less than 49 targets in their rookie season.

 

I dove a little deeper into those numbers to find some players who were drafted in the seventh round in that span, and I looked into their stats as rookies. Here were the most notable players that I found:

 

Rishard Matthews (2012): 11 catches for 151 yards.

Brice Butler (2013): Nine catches for 103 yards.

Michael Campanaro (2014): Seven catches for 102 yards and one touchdown.

Charone Peake (2016): 19 catches for 186 yards.

Marcell Ateman (2018): 15 catches for 154 yards and one touchdown.

Richie James (2018): Nine catches for 130 yards and one touchdown."

 

In just one game he already has 2 catches for 26 yards and did not look lost, overmatched or overwhelmed while out there. Current pace puts him at 34 catches for 442 yards. If he hits +/- that mark in his Rookie year I would say he is a budding star in this league!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No angst from me.

 

He's looked the part since drafted. Guys with his possession type skills project a little easier so long as they can get routes down. Little speed guys are much harder to project. His college tape was incredible, albeit vs poor comp, but the traits were clear.

 

It's early, but you have to be happy with 

  • 3 targets
    • two 3rd down conversions 
    • one got the PI call
  • Highest graded WR by a good margin

Hoping his snaps/targets increase with the success. 

Keep it simple. No complex routes. Just embrace the "big"

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No angst from me.

 

He's looked the part since drafted. Guys with his possession type skills project a little easier so long as they can get routes down. Little speed guys are much harder to project. His college tape was incredible, albeit vs poor comp, but the traits were clear.

 

It's early, but you have to be happy with 

  • 3 targets
    • two 3rd down conversions 
    • one got the PI call
  • Highest graded WR by a good margin

Hoping his snaps/targets increase with the success. 

Keep it simple. No complex routes. Just embrace the "big"

If he has a Marques Colston type of career from the 7th Round, Ballard is a genius and our passing game is in good hands. Pun intended!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been very happy with his development so far. He’s hungry and eager. I do think the pandemic really messed up his draft profile. In a normal year perhaps he would’ve been drafted higher. Oh well. I’m glad it worked out the way it did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

Hot take: Michael Strachan is a better NFL receiver than Michael Pittman! Not some day in the future... RIGHT NOW! 

 

Honestly though, your statement can be true without making PIttman a bad WR.

Strachan opens up a lot of flexibility within the WR unit. Pittman already gets snaps at slot and has looked good there.

 

To early to say that, but the take isn't near as "hot" as some of the hot takes we see on the board. And at least you tagged yours as a hot take lol

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Based on one game?   That's a hot take alright

Well, I qualified it as such. In reality it's too early to be sure, but I've liked what I've seen from Strachan in pre-season and in that one game better than what Pittman has shown so far. As @EastStreet said, this doesn't necessarily mean Pittman is bad... but he's a little limited in my opinion. Strachan does the X-receiver things much better than Pittman, for example. He plays to his size and knows how to use. Pittman on the other side plays like a small receiver even though he's 6'4" 225... which is good for his role in the slot, but not so good as an outside receiver. :dunno: I guess we will see soon enough. I expect Strachan to become bigger and bigger part of this offense going forward. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

Honestly though, your statement can be true without making PIttman a bad WR.

Strachan opens up a lot of flexibility within the WR unit. Pittman already gets snaps at slot and has looked good there.

 

To early to say that, but the take isn't near as "hot" as some of the hot takes we see on the board. And at least you tagged yours as a hot take lol

 

 

 

 

I think Pittman in the slot is really intriguing to me. I was looking at an analysis piece yesterday on Cooper Kupp ahead of the game on Sunday and Kupp kind of shows the type of big slot Pittman could be. I remember Kupp coming out of college, tested quite bad (I think he ran a 4.6 40 for example), and didn't get drafted until the top of the 3rd round. The thing is McVay knows that putting him on the perimeter won't yield high production as he doesn't have the speed or quickness to beat CBs on the outside.

 

I kind of think similar with MPJ, although MPJ is a slightly better athlete. Still though, he has alot of similar qualities to Kupp, size, good hands, YAC ability. Unfortunately, I think MPJ will still be at X, it's probably not realistic to put Strachan there so soon. But really, we don't have many guys that are good on the outside. Maybe Parris might make it. I think next season, we probably don't re-sign TY and Pascal, and look to get more natural outside WRs on the roster.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reggie only had 27 rec for 345 yards his first year.

 

I'm not saying Strachan is the next Reggie Wayne by any means. I'm just saying let's give Strachan a year before we go crowning him Megatron II after the first game. 

 

I just want to see this WR group produce as a whole and Wentz spread it around. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Well, I qualified it as such. In reality it's too early to be sure, but I've liked what I've seen from Strachan in pre-season and in that one game better than what Pittman has shown so far. As @EastStreet said, this doesn't necessarily mean Pittman is bad... but he's a little limited in my opinion. Strachan does the X-receiver things much better than Pittman, for example. He plays to his size and knows how to use. Pittman on the other side plays like a small receiver even though he's 6'4" 225... which is good for his role in the slot, but not so good as an outside receiver. :dunno: I guess we will see soon enough. I expect Strachan to become bigger and bigger part of this offense going forward. 

I always from the very beginning perceived Pittman to be a Slot/Possession style receiver. If you remember i was one of the few on this forum who wanted Bryan Edwards before that draft. Pittman is good but to me the slot is where he belongs. I think Patmon would be a better outside player, and i remember a Ballard quote indicating Patmon playing on the outside. Patmon and Strachan fit more on the outside than Pittman does.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

 

I think Pittman in the slot is really intriguing to me. I was looking at an analysis piece yesterday on Cooper Kupp ahead of the game on Sunday and Kupp kind of shows the type of big slot Pittman could be. I remember Kupp coming out of college, tested quite bad (I think he ran a 4.6 40 for example), and didn't get drafted until the top of the 3rd round. The thing is McVay knows that putting him on the perimeter won't yield high production as he doesn't have the speed or quickness to beat CBs on the outside.

 

I kind of think similar with MPJ, although MPJ is a slightly better athlete. Still though, he has alot of similar qualities to Kupp, size, good hands, YAC ability. Unfortunately, I think MPJ will still be at X, it's probably not realistic to put Strachan there so soon. But really, we don't have many guys that are good on the outside. Maybe Parris might make it. I think next season, we probably don't re-sign TY and Pascal, and look to get more natural outside WRs on the roster.

 

I'm not suggesting a quick change. Way too soon. And I'm not even saying Pittman to slot full time.

 

What I am saying, IF Strachan develops, you could use those guys interchangeably at X, and take advantage of Pitt's traits on the inside. I'd also like to stress that Pitt made plenty of possession type grabs down the sidelines at USC, he's just not got much of chance here in Indy because we didn't throw that a lot last year. I personally think some are overly critical of Pitt, and he's been severely limited on the routes we've had him run. And we've also already used him inside at times. At USC, he was used all over the place, even ran the ball a few times.

 

My primary point is that we, like all teams use a rotation. A WR shouldn't be in for more than 70ish % of snaps to keep fresh. And we don't always have 3 WRs on the field (only like 70ish% of the time). So if Strachan develops. Use him primarily at about 60-70% of snaps (100% of his snaps) at X. Split Pitt's snaps equally between X and bully slot. And use a speed guy the other half the time at slot. That would be a very scary X and Slot rotation. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, stitches said:

Well, I qualified it as such. In reality it's too early to be sure, but I've liked what I've seen from Strachan in pre-season and in that one game better than what Pittman has shown so far. As @EastStreet said, this doesn't necessarily mean Pittman is bad... but he's a little limited in my opinion. Strachan does the X-receiver things much better than Pittman, for example. He plays to his size and knows how to use. Pittman on the other side plays like a small receiver even though he's 6'4" 225... which is good for his role in the slot, but not so good as an outside receiver. :dunno: I guess we will see soon enough. I expect Strachan to become bigger and bigger part of this offense going forward. 

Yup. Hot take labeled as such, is truly responsible posting lol..

 

See my response above on Pittman. I do think some unfairly grade him though given the routes he's been asked to run thus far. Not a lot of opportunity to be that beast possession guy. He did it in college.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

Honestly though, your statement can be true without making PIttman a bad WR.

Strachan opens up a lot of flexibility within the WR unit. Pittman already gets snaps at slot and has looked good there.

 

To early to say that, but the take isn't near as "hot" as some of the hot takes we see on the board. And at least you tagged yours as a hot take lol

 

 

 

Agreed....Strachan and Patmon/Campbell/Pascal on the outside and Pittman out of the slot could be scary good. Pittman would be a bully slot for sure....Strachan CAN stretch the field but he can also post you up......Campbell can simply run by everyone.......Patmon/Pascal are the precise route runners that move the sticks. I think those 5 could be a great mix of attacking all the levels of the defense (once Patmon recovers of course)!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Agreed....Strachan and Patmon/Campbell/Pascal on the outside and Pittman out of the slot could be scary good. Pittman would be a bully slot for sure....Strachan CAN stretch the field but he can also post you up......Campbell can simply run by everyone.......Patmon/Pascal are the precise route runners that move the sticks. I think those 5 could be a great mix of attacking all the levels of the defense (once Patmon recovers of course)!

 

I just don't "feel" Patmon as an outside X unless he's on a go route in stride. He's more of a slot or big-Z to me. Didn't have the post up monster demeanor in college (his coach even called it out), and not sure he'll develop into that. He is big, and he is fast, so we can use him in other ways. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

I just don't "feel" Patmon as an outside X unless he's on a go route in stride. He's more of a slot or big-Z to me. Didn't have the post up monster demeanor in college (his coach even called it out), and not sure he'll develop into that. He is big, and he is fast, so we can use him in other ways. 

True statement. I did like his route running in the preseason though.......showed tremendous improvement!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, stitches said:

Well, I qualified it as such. In reality it's too early to be sure, but I've liked what I've seen from Strachan in pre-season and in that one game better than what Pittman has shown so far. As @EastStreet said, this doesn't necessarily mean Pittman is bad... but he's a little limited in my opinion. Strachan does the X-receiver things much better than Pittman, for example. He plays to his size and knows how to use. Pittman on the other side plays like a small receiver even though he's 6'4" 225... which is good for his role in the slot, but not so good as an outside receiver. :dunno: I guess we will see soon enough. I expect Strachan to become bigger and bigger part of this offense going forward. 

 

Hope your right....colts definitely need a above average wr.

Your certainly not the only one high on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

True statement. I did like his route running in the preseason though.......showed tremendous improvement!

Yup. Would love to see him in motion as a big Z lol... 

Him with steam/motion (or even Pitt or Strachan) coming off the LOS vs a little DB would be straight fire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I'm going to start a thread addressing this very issue. The last thing the Colts need to be worrying about right now is winning. We need to find out what we have in Carson. A hobbled Carson distorts that image. He shouldn't have been out there.
    • it shouldn't be up to Wentz.    but yes i agree with pretty much everything you are saying
    • I really dont think Ballard is an issue but frank is becoming a large concern. If the Colts keep losing I dont see how Frank keeps his job (unless Brady has been the one calling plays). You go from a couple of bone head games per year to 3 so far this season.    Im not one who thinks this team is void of talent. This is a really talented team that needs a couple more playmakers on each side of the ball. Hoping Kwitty and Dayo actually make an impact because that would really help this defense that relies mostly on pass rush to be successful. If they actually turn out to be really good, I think the defense really isn't that far off.    Offense we need a WR dearly.    Eagles are probably stoked to see Wentz continue playing while the Colts continue losing. What a good situation for them.     
    • I think it's simple: Reich and Co. believe that Wentz gives us the best chance to win, even with two injured ankles.   If an injured Wentz is better than a second year Eason or just off the practice squad, Hundley, then we can conclude that we were not prepared in the backup QB department.    Regardless, I am under the impression that we have given up a 2022 1st round pick for Wentz, as I see no chance of the team not starting/playing Wentz, unless he is completely injured and cannot play. Wentz is a tough S.O.B. so he'll play through minor injuries.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...