Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign S Andrew Sendejo


dw49
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.colts.com/news/andrew-sendejo-signs-chris-wilcox-waived-sean-davis-released

 

Sendejo, 6-1, 210 pounds, has played in 124 career games (75 starts) in his time with the Cleveland Browns (2020), Philadelphia Eagles (2019), Minnesota Vikings (2011-19), New York Jets (2011) and Dallas Cowboys (2010) and has compiled 446 tackles (313 solo), 8.0 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks, 23 passes defensed, nine interceptions, two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and 37 special teams stops. He has also appeared in eight postseason contests (three starts) and has registered 21 tackles (16 solo), five passes defensed, one interception and four special teams stops.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am having trouble remembering but I think we signed a veteran safety a few years ago that proved to be a solid veteran presence and a was very good when he was on the field.  Can’t remember his name though.  Hopefully we can look forward to a similar result.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I am having trouble remembering but I think we signed a veteran safety a few years ago that proved to be a solid veteran presence and a was very good when he was on the field.  Can’t remember his name though.  Hopefully we can look forward to a similar result.  

Mike Adams?

 

arguably Grigsons best free agent signing. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I am having trouble remembering but I think we signed a veteran safety a few years ago that proved to be a solid veteran presence and a was very good when he was on the field.  Can’t remember his name though.  Hopefully we can look forward to a similar result.  

I know who your talking about and I can’t think of his name either. He was a ballard signing his first or second season. 
 

edit Mike Mitchell I think is who you were thinking of.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.colts.com/news/andrew-sendejo-signs-chris-wilcox-waived-sean-davis-released

 

Sendejo, 6-1, 210 pounds, has played in 124 career games (75 starts) in his time with the Cleveland Browns (2020), Philadelphia Eagles (2019), Minnesota Vikings (2011-19), New York Jets (2011) and Dallas Cowboys (2010) and has compiled 446 tackles (313 solo), 8.0 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks, 23 passes defensed, nine interceptions, two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and 37 special teams stops. He has also appeared in eight postseason contests (three starts) and has registered 21 tackles (16 solo), five passes defensed, one interception and four special teams stops.

never heard of this guy before but still ...Bill S Preston Esquire GIF by Bill & Ted Face the Music

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I am having trouble remembering but I think we signed a veteran safety a few years ago that proved to be a solid veteran presence and a was very good when he was on the field.  Can’t remember his name though.  Hopefully we can look forward to a similar result.  

Do you mean Mike Mitchell? Isn’t he the one who was supposed to have a big impact on Quincy Wilson?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Hopefully, he plays more like 2017-19 than 2020. Definitely will provide a vet presence that might be lacking with Rhodes injured.

 

Played a lot last year for Cleveland. Bad year

Sparingly in 2018 and 2019 good results

2017 was his last good and full season

 

PFF

2020 - 43.8 (85% snaps) Browns

2019 - 73.3 (14+23% with 2 dif teams) - waived by Eagles, picked up again by MN

2018 - 70.4 (14%) - starting SS for MN. groin injury after 5 games cut season short

2017  - 77.2 (78%) - starting SS for MN.

 

Not sure he's an answer for any coverage struggles. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

Played a lot last year for Cleveland. Bad year

Sparingly in 2018 and 2019 good results

2017 was his last good and full season

 

PFF

2020 - 43.8 (85% snaps) Browns

2019 - 73.3 (14+23% with 2 dif teams) - waived by Eagles, picked up again by MN

2018 - 70.4 (14%) - starting SS for MN. groin injury after 5 games cut season short

2017  - 77.2 (78%) - starting SS for MN.

 

Not sure he's an answer for any coverage struggles. 

 

 

There is probably no answer for that at this point in the season.  As far as adding personnel that would make a big difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Had a feeling Wilcox wasnt long for the squad, we lost Chachere over signing him...smh....I saw Sendejo way back in his UFL days (Had Florida Tusker season passes) when he played for Sacremento, 11 years later still in NFL.....guy is a hustler and worker wasnt my first choice but 75 NFL starts 14 of which were last year..def can help us. Wilcox likely gets signed to p.s., could be the end of Chesley

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is probably no answer for that at this point in the season.  As far as adding personnel that would make a big difference.

I think there are answers. Just not ones that rely on adding new SS types to the roster.

IMO, letting Chachere go was silly. He brought a lot of flexibility. Not saying he was stud, but filled a need.

 

I'm sure Sendejo though might be a better fit as C2 SS though.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think there are answers. Just not ones that rely on adding new SS types to the roster.

IMO, letting Chachere go was silly. He brought a lot of flexibility. Not saying he was stud, but filled a need.

 

I'm sure Sendejo though might be a better fit as C2 SS though.

Chachere AND Kaufusi were my head scratchers ..liked both a lot

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think there are answers. Just not ones that rely on adding new SS types to the roster.

IMO, letting Chachere go was silly. He brought a lot of flexibility. Not saying he was stud, but filled a need.

 

I'm sure Sendejo though might be a better fit as C2 SS though.

Honestly I'm just hoping having a veteran presence will help the young guys develop

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Chachere AND Kaufusi were my head scratchers ..liked both a lot

 

Yup. 

We let Chachere go (who was listed depth at both NB and FS), got our toast burnt, only played 2 Ss (afraid to play depth Ss), and now were scavenging the waiver/FA pile..... Chachere was good enough to make our initial 53, just didn't make it through the shuffle of covid/IR guys. There were others guys we could have put at risk that wouldn't have been picked up IMO...

 

Kaufusi I thought showed a lot more than Glasgow showed last season. They must really like Glasglow a lot is all I can say. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I think there are answers. Just not ones that rely on adding new SS types to the roster.

IMO, letting Chachere go was silly. He brought a lot of flexibility. Not saying he was stud, but filled a need.

 

I'm sure Sendejo though might be a better fit as C2 SS though.

Preseason/TC is different from games with the lights turned on but all indications were that Chachere should have been retained.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Preseason/TC is different from games with the lights turned on but all indications were that Chachere should have been retained.

I mean, he made the initial 53 right?

He just got grabbed when we had to shuffle guys around. We could have but a guy like Glasgow temporarily that nobody would have poached, and just brought him back up once the IR/Covid shuffles were done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posting this not for the article itself,  but there's a handful of gifs included of some of Sendejo's friendly fire hits and dirty shots to other players heads:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/nfl-should-discipline-andrew-sendejo-reckless-friendly-fire-shot-avonte-maddox/

 

Sendejo also knocked Rhodes out of a game with a concussion due to friendly fire as well.

 

I'm a little puzzled by the move, because he doesn't strike me as a horseshoe guy. By reputation and everything I've read, he's a jerk. I'm also not excited about a guy that could potentially take out one of our own players or cost us big time with penalties from dirty hits.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Shive said:

Posting this not for the article itself,  but there's a handful of gifs included of some of Sendejo's friendly fire hits and dirty shots to other players heads:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/nfl-should-discipline-andrew-sendejo-reckless-friendly-fire-shot-avonte-maddox/

 

Sendejo also knocked Rhodes out of a game with a concussion due to friendly fire as well.

 

I'm a little puzzled by the move, because he doesn't strike me as a horseshoe guy. By reputation and everything I've read, he's a jerk. I'm also not excited about a guy that could potentially take out one of our own players or cost us big time with penalties from dirty hits.

What they called helmet to helmet in a few of those actually looked like a bang bang shoulder lead.

There was no blatant spearing IMO.

Only one I thought was bad.

IDK. Looks like a guy who is just heat seeking missile of a SS.

I do like his hat though. I'm fine with the new rules, but sometimes the calls are way too soft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

What they called helmet to helmet in a few of those actually looked like a bang bang shoulder lead.

There was no blatant spearing IMO.

Only one I thought was bad.

IDK. Looks like a guy who is just heat seeking missile of a SS.

I do like his hat though. I'm fine with the new rules, but sometimes the calls are way too soft.

Some of those hits may not have been helmet to helmet, but he has knocked a handful of players out with concussions over his career and most of them being his own teammates. He's absolutely a heat seeking missle, coming downhill at 100 mph with no brakes.

 

I like an enforcer type of SS, but I much prefer someone that doesn't make our own players think twice when they're tackling someone because they're worried Sendejo might take their heads off too.

 

It'll be interesting how things go at practice this week.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Shive said:

Some of those hits may not have been helmet to helmet, but he has knocked a handful of players out with concussions over his career and most of them being his own teammates. He's absolutely a heat seeking missle, coming downhill at 100 mph with no brakes.

 

I like an enforcer type of SS, but I much prefer someone that doesn't make our own players think twice when they're tackling someone because they're worried Sendejo might take their heads off too.

 

It'll be interesting how things go at practice this week.

Oh I agree. But none of them looked purposefully malicious. Just seems like a hard hitting dude. And I truly doubt he's trying to hurt his own team mates lol. 

 

I'd also expect the Colts coaches broached the topic with him. IMO, a little tweak in how he launches is an easy fix, and guessing he's already made the effort to adjust given the hub-bub was 2 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I knew this was coming Willis got abused 

Both Ss got abused. Willis just happened to get abused on 2 TDs, Blackmon only 1 TD. Both gave up nearly 100 yards, allowed a 150ish passer rating. Blackmon whiffed on a tackle too. 

 

And you know McVay is salivating watching tape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Oh I agree. But none of them looked purposefully malicious. Just seems like a hard hitting dude. And I truly doubt he's trying to hurt his own team mates lol. 

There are a number of big hits he's delivered where the ballcarrier is on the way to the ground being tackled and Sendejo comes in with a shot to the head as they're falling to the ground:

 

ScreenCaptureProject954.width-704.gif

 

ScreenCaptureProject960.width-704.gif

 

I'm not sure if you would consider them purposefully malicious, but he is very aware of how he plays, how many people he has hurt (again, many his own teammates) and still plays the exact same way. I don't think he's trying to hurt his own teammates, but he plays with such reckless abandon that he has a blatant disregard for his own teammates' well-being if they happen to be "in the way".

 

After he laid out Maddox, he walked right past him laid out on the ground without even checking to make sure his own teammate was ok. By all accounts, he has never shown any remorse or contrition for injuring people with his style of play. His reactions to the hits and his demeanor when asked about them in press conferences make me think he legitimately could be a sociopath. :dunno:

 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd also expect the Colts coaches broached the topic with him. IMO, a little tweak in how he launches is an easy fix, and guessing he's already made the effort to adjust given the hub-bub was 2 years ago.

He's not some young kid that just needs to be coached up. He's 34 years old, has had a number of coaches, has never changed the way he plays, and I highly doubt anything our coaches say will change that. It's also not just a tweak in how he launches, it's the "bull seeing red" mentality that he plays with.

 

He had 2 unnecessary roughness penalties just last year, one of which he was fined for lowering his head to initiate contact. He's been the same player his entire career and he's made it very clear that that won't be changing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shive said:

There are a number of big hits he's delivered where the ballcarrier is on the way to the ground being tackled and Sendejo comes in with a shot to the head as they're falling to the ground:

 

ScreenCaptureProject954.width-704.gif

 

ScreenCaptureProject960.width-704.gif

 

I'm not sure if you would consider them purposefully malicious, but he is very aware of how he plays, how many people he has hurt (again, many his own teammates) and still plays the exact same way. I don't think he's trying to hurt his own teammates, but he plays with such reckless abandon that he has a blatant disregard for his own teammates' well-being if they happen to be "in the way".

 

After he laid out Maddox, he walked right past him laid out on the ground without even checking to make sure his own teammate was ok. By all accounts, he has never shown any remorse or contrition for injuring people with his style of play. His reactions to the hits and his demeanor when asked about them in press conferences make me think he legitimately could be a sociopath. :dunno:

 

He's not some young kid that just needs to be coached up. He's 34 years old, has had a number of coaches, has never changed the way he plays, and I highly doubt anything our coaches say will change that. It's also not just a tweak in how he launches, it's the "bull seeing red" mentality that he plays with.

 

He had 2 unnecessary roughness penalties just last year, one of which he was fined for lowering his head to initiate contact. He's been the same player his entire career and he's made it very clear that that won't be changing.

 

Looks like an older safety from back when an inaccurate pass to the middle would get a WR laid out, Like what Brady was talking about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Both Ss got abused. Willis just happened to get abused on 2 TDs, Blackmon only 1 TD. Both gave up nearly 100 yards, allowed a 150ish passer rating. Blackmon whiffed on a tackle too. 

 

And you know McVay is salivating watching tape.

Stafford love the deep ball to , 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Shive said:

There are a number of big hits he's delivered where the ballcarrier is on the way to the ground being tackled and Sendejo comes in with a shot to the head as they're falling to the ground:

 

ScreenCaptureProject954.width-704.gif

 

ScreenCaptureProject960.width-704.gif

 

I'm not sure if you would consider them purposefully malicious, but he is very aware of how he plays, how many people he has hurt (again, many his own teammates) and still plays the exact same way. I don't think he's trying to hurt his own teammates, but he plays with such reckless abandon that he has a blatant disregard for his own teammates' well-being if they happen to be "in the way".

 

After he laid out Maddox, he walked right past him laid out on the ground without even checking to make sure his own teammate was ok. By all accounts, he has never shown any remorse or contrition for injuring people with his style of play. His reactions to the hits and his demeanor when asked about them in press conferences make me think he legitimately could be a sociopath. :dunno:

 

He's not some young kid that just needs to be coached up. He's 34 years old, has had a number of coaches, has never changed the way he plays, and I highly doubt anything our coaches say will change that. It's also not just a tweak in how he launches, it's the "bull seeing red" mentality that he plays with.

 

He had 2 unnecessary roughness penalties just last year, one of which he was fined for lowering his head to initiate contact. He's been the same player his entire career and he's made it very clear that that won't be changing.

 

Honestly those weren't spearing to me. They looked like shoulder led gang tackling. He could have altered the angle a bit better to take his helmet more out of the picture, but I don't see them as horrible, or near the level of some of the spearing that goes on. And when were those? I'd also point out that coaches preach gang tackling and playing to the whistle. One of our DBs got seriously drug by the board and fans in preseason for laying off (stepping back actually) when I WR was getting tackled near him. Pop him and knock the ball loose. Just don't go crown.

 

Personality wise, I like aggression, and I like big hits. And I don't mind a bad boy persona at all so long as they are not malicious. Every big D the last 20 years almost had bad boys. 

 

And.. I'd have to see the two hits last year to comment on them, but just getting roughing calls, and no suspension, tells me they weren't that bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...