Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cheering Discouraged

WERC82

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's fine.  But it only really matters if everyone is doing it.  I tend to laugh at the guy who is the only one standing up like he's intimidating the opponent and getting upset at everyone else for not.

I mean, if its in the 4Q and the crowd needs to disrupt the opponent on a critical 3rd down, sure.  But other than that, some of this seems like just a lack of self control or lack of consideration for people sitting behind. 

I actually like that guy, he has every right to do it. He pays his money, stand up and be loud, whenever he wants. I tend to laugh at people with that opinion and if rising out of that seat is so challenging, let that group stay at home and display there “Self Control”

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, DougDew said:

Why do people stand up when they can see the field fine sitting down?

Does a person have to stand to yell?    If so, they should probably get that checked out.

Geez, I stand and scream and jump up and down, yell at the refs, complain about  blown plays etc.  And I am sitting at home 12ft. from my 55in. TV and generally throughly enjoy myself...

What do I need to get checked out?

(PS I'm a 73 year old child)

On 9/13/2021 at 7:13 PM, jvan1973 said:

Those are rich old folks seats.   They get catered food and have no idea who is playing.    

Hey, what can I say, I’m an introvert, but I always know who is playing. 

Also, if I stand too long, my knees & hips start to hurt.  I am screaming inside, though.  Go Colts!

(Other times, I might be screaming inside, Reich, WTH, take the give-me 3 points!)

Sounds like some people who are sour with the LOS experience need to stay home and watch it on TV.  Both the ones who don't want to be annoyed by others and the ones who want to stand up and yell with as much effectiveness against the opponent as yelling at their TV in their own home.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sounds like some people who are sour with the LOS experience need to stay home and watch it on TV.  Both the ones who don't want to be annoyed by others and the ones who want to stand up and yell with as much effectiveness against the opponent as yelling at their TV in their own home.

Just for clarity, are you implying that a loud stadium (in the right moments) is not a competitive advantage? 

11 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Just for clarity, are you implying that a loud stadium (in the right moments) is not a competitive advantage? 

At the right moment, of course.  But not every moment is the right moment.  I guess that's a judgment call then.

I'm sure that a person standing up in their living room yelling at their TV would make them feel stupid when they looked around and saw that they were the only ones doing it.   But at home, there is no one else to blame for them feeling stupid.  At the stadium, there's about 50,000 others to lash out at.

On 9/13/2021 at 6:30 PM, WERC82 said:

Public Service Announcement

If you go to a Colts game you are not allowed to stand and make noise when the Colts are on defense but, you are allowed to throw items at those who do.

Your logic seems faulty, please explain this reasoning.

Clearly being facetious yes?

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

At the right moment, of course.  But not every moment is the right moment.  I guess that's a judgment call then.

I'm sure that a person standing up in their living room yelling at their TV would make them feel stupid when they looked around and saw that they were the only ones doing it.   But at home, there is no one else to blame for them feeling stupid.  At the stadium, there's about 50,000 others to lash out at.

Fair. Anytime the defense is on the field is the “right moment” for me. More specifically, 3rd downs, goal line/RZ, FG kicks, etc. Anyone who has played a sport at a semi-high level or even golf for that matter can appreciate how impactful distraction can be. 

Some stadiums in my area have dedicated sections that are meant for the people that go all out, all game. Some of these dedicated sections will kick you out if you’re not complying with the fandom rules. Maybe Indy should implement something along the lines of “spirited fan sections”. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is nothing wrong with standing up (being loud) when it is 3rd down for the opposing team, people that think so need to stay home. If someone told me to sit down I would look at them like they were nuts. I would still stand. Why should someone go to a game if they won't stand up and be loud on critical 3rd downs??

That any of this needs discussed is a hint as to why the LOS home crowd is so tame. 

You pay a couple of hundred bucks to drink 10 dollar beers and watch a game, have a little fun. Don't worry about Karen is my take.

1 hour ago, cjrulli said:

Fair. Anytime the defense is on the field is the “right moment” for me. More specifically, 3rd downs, goal line/RZ, FG kicks, etc. Anyone who has played a sport at a semi-high level or even golf for that matter can appreciate how impactful distraction can be. 

Some stadiums in my area have dedicated sections that are meant for the people that go all out, all game. Some of these dedicated sections will kick you out if you’re not complying with the fandom rules. Maybe Indy should implement something along the lines of “spirited fan sections”. 

Well, its tough for 60,000 unsegregated people to all agree on something.  Too many diverse opinions in a room tend to cause conflict you know.  Some situations are obvious.   I guess standing up is okay if you're not blocking someone else's view.  The guy sitting generally isn't the one causing the guy standing any problems, so I can see where the LOS officials or fans in general focus their comments.  

As this discussion continues with obviously highly analytical bright people, here is the fact. I was there, the stadium was not full. I would guesstimate that there were between 5k Seahawks fans. I know the noise level was appropriate for most critical defensive situations. I got home, watched the game and saw when the camera focused on the crowd, 75% were standing in those Kodak moments. I glance at those sitting and for most of them, they clearly look focused on eating their double cheeseburgers. Perfectly fine, to use words like stupid and laugh at others is a smart person speaking without having the other skill set in life, horse and common sense. 
To the true Colt fans, rise up when the defense needs you, fear not that the person behind doesn’t like to see your backside, they probably could use the exercise themselves. 

27 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

As this discussion continues with obviously highly analytical bright people, here is the fact. I was there, the stadium was not full. I would guesstimate that there were between 5k Seahawks fans. I know the noise level was appropriate for most critical defensive situations. I got home, watched the game and saw when the camera focused on the crowd, 75% were standing in those Kodak moments. I glance at those sitting and for most of them, they clearly look focused on eating their double cheeseburgers. Perfectly fine, to use words like stupid and laugh at others is a smart person speaking without having the other skill set in life, horse and common sense. 
To the true Colt fans, rise up when the defense needs you, fear not that the person behind doesn’t like to see your backside, they probably could use the exercise themselves. 

I would say that there are probably a lot of bright analytical people who go to games to watch stuff they can't see on TV.  Blocking schemes, pattern development.  Secondary alignment and play.  Key point being WATCHING.  

I think when a team sells tickets, SEEING the game is the first order of business, since any human can stand in their living room and yell at the opponents QB if they wanted to.  Same effect on the play most of the time.  They don't have to go to the game for that.

Indy probably doesn't have that same fan base as bigger markets, where enough of the relentlessly cheering type of fan outnumbers the other kind.

This is why I prefer the cheap-to-mid seats when I attend games.  I always have more fun.  I've been in good seats over the years at different venues probably oh idk maybe 10ish times and the experience is not as good.  So if you have people telling you to sit down on a key third down when the Colts are on defense there's something seriously wrong with the organization's focus and management of their stadium crew.

But if you buy cheaper seats a lot of that gets fixed anyway.  You'll have more fun.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:50 AM, DougDew said:

Why do people stand up when they can see the field fine sitting down?

Does a person have to stand to yell?    If so, they should probably get that checked out.

Why would someone go to a game to quietly sit and just watch the game?

They can do that from home. And be able to watch the all-22 footage for less money than the cost of attending a game. And not have to wait 30 min in line just to go to the bathroom or buy a snack.

Thats like going to a concert and NOT cheering during your favorite song. Makes no sense to me.

:dunno:

46 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

They can do that from home. And be able to watch the all-22 footage for less money than the cost of attending a game. And not have to wait 30 min in line just to go to the bathroom or buy a snack.

Thats like going to a concert and NOT cheering during your favorite song. Makes no sense to me.

Exactly.    You put into words what I was wanting to say.     I'm guessing Doug has never been to a game

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Do you have to ask the question?

According to the OP, apparently, most Colts fans go to the game and sit quietly.  :dunno:

Different strokes, but I assume that a lot of people don't feel that constantly making a lot of noise equals fun.

Just making noise when it matters.  When ever that is. 

OTOH,  a concert is all about listening to the stars make noise.  Who watches a concert with the sound down?  And about singing, you know, projecting noise from a voicebox.  Kinda the intent of the whole thing.  And lighting up of course.

There is lots of entertainment on the football field and experiences around it already without a person having to make a lot of noise to have fun.  Provided that you can see around the loud mouthed fat *s.

Just now, DougDew said:

Do you have to ask the question?

According to the OP, apparently, most Colts fans go to the game and sit quietly.  :dunno:

Different strokes, but I assume that a lot of people don't feel that constantly making a lot of noise equals fun.

Just making noise when it matters.  When ever that is. 

OTOH,  concert is about singing, you know, projecting noise from a voicebox.  Kinda the intent of the whole thing.  And lighting up of course.

There is lots of entertainment on the football field and experiences around it already without a person having to make a lot of noise to have fun.  Provided that you can see around the loud mouthed fat *s.

Getting up and getting loud is what fans do when their team is on defense.    It's not a new thing.     I'm guessing you haven't attended many games

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Getting up and getting loud is what fans do when their team is on defense.    It's not a new thing.     I'm guessing you haven't attended many games

Its what they do when they think their team has a chance to win, to be more accurate. 

The energy just isn't there otherwise.  Unless you just like to make noise for no reason.

But people should do what they want.  If they want to make noise when nobody else wants to, be prepared to be called out.  The world kinda works that way about many things.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Its what they do when they think there team has a chance, to be more accurate.  The energy just isn't there otherwise.  Unless you just like to make noise for no reason.

But people should do what they want.  If they want to make noise when nobody else wants to, be prepared to be called out.  The world kinda works that way about many things.

I paid for my seat,   I'll do what I want.   Get your * up and get loud when the defense is on the field.   That's what home field advantage is all about.   I've never seen anyone complain about getting up and getting loud when the defense is on the field.   I've been to at least 150 games at the Hoosier Dome and LOS.   It's never been an issue.   Be quiet when the offense is on the field,   get loud when the D is on the field.   Simple

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I paid for my seat,   I'll do what I want.   Get your * up and get loud when the defense is on the field.   That's what home field advantage is all about.   I've never seen anyone complain about getting up and getting loud when the defense is on the field.   I've been to at least 150 games at the Hoosier Dome and LOS.   It's never been an issue.   Be quiet when the offense is on the field,   get loud when the D is on the field.   Simple

I get it jvan.  

The whole thread ignores the simple fact that most Colts fans thought the team wasn't playing good enough to win.   Maybe that's why they didn't yell, and thought the people who lacked such perception were simply being annoying at the time.

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I get it jvan.  

The whole thread ignores the simple fact that most Colts fans thought the team wasn't playing good enough to win.   Maybe that's why they didn't yell, and thought the people who lacked such perception were simply being annoying at the time.

No,   fans have been trained for years in Indy.    I guess you wouldn't know.   Get loud on defense be quiet on offense.   It's been that way for over 20 years.   The mega trons remind the fans to get loud on defense and be quiet on offense.   Fans know what to do in Indy.    The fact you say "most" is laughable at best.   How would you know?

On 9/14/2021 at 8:21 AM, DougDew said:

That's fine.  But it only really matters if everyone is doing it.  I tend to laugh at the guy who is the only one standing up like he's intimidating the opponent and getting upset at everyone else for not.

I mean, if its in the 4Q and the crowd needs to disrupt the opponent on a critical 3rd down, sure.  But other than that, some of this seems like just a lack of self control or lack of consideration for people sitting behind. 

You probably saw me getting mad about people being lazy fans for sure. I have been bringing up this problem since I have been on the forum. The RCA dome was fine LOS is too comfortable.  BTW I too had been asked countless times to stop yelling and sit down in the over 10 years I had season tickets.

1 minute ago, life long said:

You probably saw me getting mad about people being lazy fans for sure. I have been bringing up this problem since I have been on the forum. The RCA dome was fine LOS is too comfortable.  BTW I too had been asked countless times to stop yelling and sit down in the over 10 years I had season tickets.

By other Colts fans?

23 minutes ago, life long said:

I have not noticed.  There are only a few posters I notice here.  The annoying-argumentative ones like Jvan stick out the most.

I can't impugn the entire game-going fan base, so I'll just mention the obvious.  When the opponent makes a great play, its often said that they " just took the air out of the crowd".  Kinda human nature amongst most humans, even the ones who pay to go to games.

People don't cheer when there is little to cheer for, unless they just like to cheer.  Which would be the context of this SEA game we're talking about.

If they don't cheer or tell you to be quiet, during a close game, especially one of consequences, I see where they are being out of line compared to you in the context of the situation.  If its a boring game where we are getting our * kicked, probably the opposite.

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

By other Colts fans?

Yes to be fair to them, they too were season ticket holders who definitely were much older than my father and I.  They saw us every home game for years and it was an occurrence that happened a few times a year.

As Doug pointed out it happened more in situations when we were losing. This fact never stopped us because my dad spent good money every year for season tickets. When we got put in a new section when LOS was built our seats were closer but the fans were terrible. 

My personal opinion is the individual seating vs bleacher seating.  RCA was almost impossible to sit sometimes because some people are large. LOS has individual seats with arm rests. Third downs at RCA always had people banging on the metal bleachers which sometimes would be deafening. 

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I have not noticed.  There are only a few posters I notice here.  The annoying-argumentative ones like Jvan stick out the most.

I can't impugn the entire game-going fan base, so I'll just mention the obvious.  When the opponent makes a great play, its often said that they " just took the air out of the crowd".  Kinda human nature amongst most humans, even the ones who pay to go to games.

People don't cheer when there is little to cheer for, unless they just like to cheer.  Which would be the context of this SEA game we're talking about.

If they don't cheer, or tell you to be quiet during a close game, especially one of consequences, I see where they are being out of line compared to you in the context of the situation.  If its a boring game where we are getting our * kicked, probably the opposite.

I'm just a firm believer even if you are losing, even badly, that fans can have a huge impact with crowd noise. Even if the other team makes a huge play I double down on yelling. Their goal is to take the crowd out of the game. They want that because it makes their jobs easier.

As a home fan it's your duty to make it as hard as possible for the opponent. Trust me, I know for a fact you are not alone with how you like to enjoy a game live. That said, fans like that don't help the team win. If anything, you probably think I'm foolish for thinking I have any affect as a fan. I have spent many following days after games with my voice lost. After we beat the Pats to go to the Super Bowl I was hoarse for a week.

19 minutes ago, life long said:

I'm just a firm believer even if you are losing, even badly, that fans can have a huge impact with crowd noise. Even if the other team makes a huge play I double down on yelling. Their goal is to take the crowd out of the game. They want that because it makes their jobs easier.

As a home fan it's your duty to make it as hard as possible for the opponent. Trust me, I know for a fact you are not alone with how you like to enjoy a game live. That said, fans like that don't help the team win. If anything, you probably think I'm foolish for thinking I have any affect as a fan. I have spent many following days after games with my voice lost. After we beat the Pats to go to the Super Bowl I was hoarse for a week.

I cheer.  And sometimes I don't. 

I was just offering explanation as to what you seemed miffed about.

The SEA game was one sided.  The score does not show how badly we were getting beat.  Generally speaking, most people observed the Colts getting whooped on both sides of the ball and wouldn't feel like cheering...they might be closer to booing.  And it was the first game of the season where this team has established no credibility that it can comeback from a deficit.  Wasted energy.

Its different situation than that AFCCG.  If I was there for that, I probably would have been standing the whole game (okay, probably would have felt like sitting after the PM pick 6 that made it 14-3 or 21-3).

I've never told anybody to sit down.  If I can't see, I usually just stand and look over them.  Force the people behind me to do the same.  I feel bad when its a kid behind me, but that's just me.  I tend to get more joy from watching or knowing a kid having a good time at a game than me cheering, if it came down to that trade off.

It sound like you have a lot of fun at games.  Thank you for being a consistent fan.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The SEA game was one sided.  The score does not show how badly we were getting beat.  Generally speaking, most people observed the Colts getting whooped on both sides of the ball and wouldn't feel like cheering...they might be closer to booing.  And it was the first game of the season where this team has established no credibility that it can comeback from a deficit.  Wasted energy.

Its different situation than that AFCCG.  If I was there for that, I probably would have been standing the whole game (okay, probably would have felt like sitting after the PM pick 6 that made it 14-3 or 21-3).

I've never told anybody to sit down.  If I can't see, I usually just stand and look over them.  Force the people behind me to do the same.  I feel bad when its a kid behind me, but that's just me.  I tend to get more joy from watching or knowing a kid having a good time at a game than me cheering, if it came down to that trade off.

It sound like you have a lot of fun at games.  Thank you for being a consistent fan.

Well considering I think you are a solid poster with grounded opinions, I can forgive you for not being as crazy, as I self admittedly get on game day. During the Peyton years no matter the score I believed we could win. I was there for many come backs, some fell short. That 05 vanderjact shank really hurt. The first opening game for LOS against the Bears I knew we had lost some of that loud mojo the RCA dome had. 

1 hour ago, life long said:

Yes to be fair to them, they too were season ticket holders who definitely were much older than my father and I.  They saw us every home game for years and it was an occurrence that happened a few times a year.

As Doug pointed out it happened more in situations when we were losing. This fact never stopped us because my dad spent good money every year for season tickets. When we got put in a new section when LOS was built our seats were closer but the fans were terrible. 

My personal opinion is the individual seating vs bleacher seating.  RCA was almost impossible to sit sometimes because some people are large. LOS has individual seats with arm rests. Third downs at RCA always had people banging on the metal bleachers which sometimes would be deafening. 

I've been to hundreds of games at both stadiums.  I've never had anyone complain about me standing and screaming, losing or not.   Where are your seats?

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You're first sentence tells me all I need to know about you as a fan

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I've been to hundreds of games at both stadiums.  I've never had anyone complain about me standing and screaming, losing or not.   Where are your seats?

Not a season ticket holder any more. Moved states but at LOS they were the middle level between club seats and the upper deck. I think 400 something. Haven't been to a game in years though. At RCA they were higher. As long as I'm in between the 40s I'm happy.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You're first sentence tells me all I need to know about you as a fan

I’ve had more fun on this thread then any others that I have been watching on this terrific site for years. 
We all have met this person in our lifetime who I won’t name, but I do not consider this person grounded regardless if they have posted a million times. This person attacks with their covert delusional pontification, they will have to get the last word in, because it’s his or Her makeup, guaranteed! The classic statement was the part of offending the poor child that is being blocked by this persons occasional fake appearance of being a Colts fan. Good grief, life is short, please change your affiliation to a new team. We read at Hello!

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I’ve had more fun on this thread then any others that I have been watching on this terrific site for years. 
We all have met this person in our lifetime who I won’t name, but I do not consider this person grounded regardless if they have posted a million times. This person attacks with their covert delusional pontification, they will have to get the last word in, because it’s his or Her makeup, guaranteed! The classic statement was the part of offending the poor child that is being blocked by this persons occasional fake appearance of being a Colts fan. Good grief, life is short, please change your affiliation to a new team. We read at Hello!

I agree.   Doug goes goes his own way. 

10 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I feel like we have this convo every year. And it ends about the same. Some people cheer, some cheer less. Those on either side think the other is wrong.

No one is changing their minds based on what’s said here. 

But as I’m fond of saying, this is a message board. So knock yourselves out.

When a lot of people in here analyze things they just look at things as all Colts. Like we are only the stadium that has opposing fans, most do in reality or like Reich isn't a good coach, you should here how Titans fans want Vrabel fired after only 1 game. Every fan base is pretty much the same, especially after a loss. My uncle is a huge Titans fan - has been since the McNair days, he lives in KY and he doesn't like Vrabel at all, criticizes him all the time. He ripped into Vrabel last year when they lost to the Ravens in the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, craigerb said:

Cheering is different than standing and blocking others' view.

It's pretty simple, I am only 5'8, you just tilt your neck/body 6 inches to the left or right and you can clearly see what is going on. I have been to a ton of games in the past and have tall people stand in front of me, never had a problem. It is called improvising. 

Archived