Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Seahawks at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

4 minutes ago, NodakColt said:

He would of got destroyed yesterday 

I will tend to disagree some. Rivers would of been going onto his second year and already had chemistry with the guys. Remember we were blowing out the Steelers with two backup tackles with rivers. He is Elite knowing where he is going with the ball.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Wentz showed a lot of exciting traits. The offense just needs to put it together. Once they do he showed a lot of Josh Allen traits yesterday. It should have us very excited. He just needs to stop diving head first.

he is still hurt he never runs that slow .....  even last year he was great at sensing pressure and throwing on the run yesterday he seemed to just stand there and take the hit trying to throw .   might take another couple weeks to see him and nelson at full strength

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NodakColt said:

He would of got destroyed yesterday 

Rivers has a better time to throw, process quickly, reads Ds at an elite level, and throws guys open. He would have likely taken more sacks, but doubt the overall results would have been different Wentz did fine given the situation. I think Rivers would have done about the same. Maybe a bit better given it would have been his year 2. Keep in mind Rivers survived and had some good years with LAC, and they had a very long stretch of horrible OLs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I will tend to disagree some. Rivers would of been going onto his second year and already had chemistry with the guys. Remember we were blowing out the Steelers with two backup tackles with rivers. He is Elite knowing where he is going with the ball.

i disagree completely rivers had time for deep shots watch the film . holden showed up and played so well people were pumped .  in the second half rivers got shut out also .

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

he is still hurt he never runs that slow .....  even last year he was great at sensing pressure and throwing on the run yesterday he seemed to just stand there and take the hit trying to throw .   might take another couple weeks to see him and nelson at full strength

Yup, he was no threat to run yesterday. Avoided pressures at times, but he's not 100%.

One thing that irked me a bit from Reich, is his presser narrative about Carson being a run threat when pelted about the OL's bad performance.... Wentz was not a threat to run yesterday, and I doubt the Seahawks were worried given his recent foot history. Reich's spin was pretty sad lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i disagree completely rivers had time for deep shots watch the film . holden showed up and played so well people were pumped .  in the second half rivers got shut out also .

I think  having been in year two is what would of made the biggest difference. There seemed to be a lot of confusion with all the time missed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, he was no threat to run yesterday. Avoided pressures at times, but he's not 100%.

One thing that irked me a bit from Reich, is his presser narrative about Carson being a run threat when pelted about the OL's bad performance.... Wentz was not a threat to run yesterday, and I doubt the Seahawks were worried given his recent foot history. Reich's spin was pretty sad lol.

Tom P on NFL network said he talked to Reich before the game they were trying to keep him in the pocket as much as possible. Now was that because he was still hurt or just putting him in a bubble because all the missed time. He had several runs at the end when the game was over.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Tom P on NFL network said he talked to Reich before the game they were trying to keep him in the pocket as much as possible. Now was that because he was still hurt or just putting him in a bubble because all the missed time. He had several runs at the end when the game was over.

He's not 100%, so no reason to try and call a QB run.... 

And it makes it easier on the OL (that is not 100%) if they know he's not moving around.

Then Frank goes and talks about Carson's mobility as a factor at his presser... SMH lol

I was at the game so I wasn’t privy to the broadcast replays and game flow until today.  I just completed my rewatch of the first half and I just can’t agree that Carson Wentz played that well.  He was ok but when the team needed him he came up short.  Despite our defense playing poorly they got a stop of the Seahawks on their 3rd possession.  Gave our offense the ball towards the end of the half.  Down 14-10.  We start a good drive and get to 3rd & 1.  Wentz keeps the RPO instead of giving it to Taylor for the EASY first down and ends up getting us an ineligible man downfield penalty.  Jacoby level foolishness.  So now it’s 3rd & 6 and Frank makes a great call and has Pascal on the crosser (defender lost in the wash) right in front of his face for another easy first down and Wentz instead attempts a near impossible back shoulder to MAC.  Skittish?  

So instead of us extending that drive and maybe ending the half up 17-14 or down 14-13 or even just chewing up more clock and going in down 14-10 we give it back to Wilson and he burns us just before the half and it’s 21-10.  Just not complimentary football and maybe chalk it up to rust or no practice time but Wentz missed a lot of easier reads and brought on some of the hits he took by holding the ball too long.  To me he looked skittish and was watching the rush rather than attacking their corners on the boundaries.  They were either bailing (easy 7-10 yard comebacks) or pressing and getting beat for easy 20 yard fades with minimal safety help.  And why can’t Campbell get more targets???  The comebacks or fades were there all game long.  This was the game to let Carson establish chemistry with Campbell or Pittman.  Missed opportunity.  

And final first half analysis, our defense was terrible on 3rd downs.  Missed assignments killed us on the crucial downs.  I saw Moore miss an assignment.  Okereke missed Carson in the hole & gave up the big run. Paye over shot Wilson and allowed him to escape for the first drive extending 3rd down conversion. And lastly, Leonard was absolutely atrocious.  Step slow on lots of plays.  Yet and still this wasn’t supposed to be a 21-10 halftime score.  Poor execution from players & coaches.

44 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Rivers had time for deep shots because he audibled out of bad plays Frank was calling.

Rivers recognized the coverages and formations that the defense was doing and moved his protection (rb) around to add additional blocking when it was needed.

When they were stacking the line on a run Rivers recognized it and audibled to a slant or screen.

When there was an all out blitz coming, Rivers moved his running back around to get additional blocking (blocking the blitzing mike or the will) or Rivers would audible to a draw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Rivers had time for deep shots because he audibled out of bad plays Frank was calling.

Rivers recognized the coverages and formations that the defense was doing and moved his protection (rb) around to add additional blocking when it was needed.

When they were stacking the line on a run Rivers recognized it and audibled to a slant or screen.

When there was an all out blitz coming, Rivers moved his running back around to get additional blocking (blocking the blitzing mike or the will) or Rivers would audible to a draw.

the seahawks played a lot of 4 man rushes as they are mostly a cover 3 team .  they did blitz in adams a couple times but most of the pressures were just our guys getting beat one on one .   I saw wentz plenty of times audible out of plays all game .

9 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Let’s hope Wentz can get this down. This is such a important part of the game. Reich did mention this as something Wentz needs to get better at today in his presser.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Good post.

I remember quite a few podcasts and others talking about Rivers making Reich play calling look better than it was lol.

Not a lot of folks on the board bought the narrative due to all the Reich worship and Rivers doubt/hate lol.

Wentz doesn't have the vast experience Rivers did, nor does he have chemistry with us yet. Not sure how confident he is at this point to change a lot Reich's play calling. That will come in time hopefully. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

To be fair, both Wentz and Nelson "recovered" way quicker than anyone anticipated.  It just sucks that the reality is they are playing hurt, and they both looked like it.  That being said, I thought Wentz was a bright spot yesterday.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

To be fair, both Wentz and Nelson "recovered" way quicker than anyone anticipated.  It just sucks that the reality is they are playing hurt, and they both looked like it.  That being said, I thought Wentz was a bright spot yesterday.

Yup. Both hurt guys looked decent, while a lot of healthy guys looked very bad.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Considering he only had 5 full practices with a new team I agree. Ton of upside with Wentz moving forward 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Good post.

I remember quite a few podcasts and others talking about Rivers making Reich play calling look better than it was lol.

Not a lot of folks on the board bought the narrative due to all the Reich worship and Rivers doubt/hate lol.

Wentz doesn't have the vast experience Rivers did, nor does he have chemistry with us yet. Not sure how confident he is at this point to change a lot Reich's play calling. That will come in time hopefully. 

I have always pushed back on the narrative, just because as far as I know we don't know what was the original call and what was an audible or just a fake audible call. It also seemed depending on who was making the point it was Rivers audible was always effective and if a play was bad then obviously it was Reich's call or the opposite that Rivers changing the call led to the bad play and he should have stuck with Reich's play. 

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I like when people get called out for there biased narratives good job Stephen.

That's the problem with Stats if you don't give context, then it can easily paint a different picture

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I have always pushed back on the narrative, just because as far as I know we don't know what was the original call and what was an audible or just a fake audible call. It also seemed depending on who was making the point it was Rivers audible was always effective and if a play was bad then obviously it was Reich's call or the opposite that Rivers changing the call led to the bad play and he should have stuck with Reich's play. 

Here's my thoughts.....

1. I don't think it's a secret that Rivers was changing plays. Even Reich mentioned it (sometimes not happy)
  2. I'm not pro, but I thought I could tell often when changes were coming. RIvers went as far as rearranging personnel at times. 
  3. The offense typically ran very smooth, and we weren't caught off guard by Ds a lot. 

Overall, we can't know for sure, but some of the guys that do film studies on different sites have mentioned it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I like when people get called out for there biased narratives good job Stephen.

I agree with PFF getting called out.

The guy is wrong about QBR though. That's passer rating, which is very different than QBR. His QBR was not good.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's my thoughts.....

1. I don't think it's a secret that Rivers was changing plays. Even Reich mentioned it (sometimes not happy)
  2. I'm not pro, but I thought I could tell often when changes were coming. RIvers went as far as rearranging personnel at times. 
  3. The offense typically ran very smooth, and we weren't caught off guard by Ds a lot. 

Overall, we can't know for sure, but some of the guys that do film studies on different sites have mentioned it. 

my reply gonna use your method because it is easy to address each thought.

1. I didn't mean to insinuate their was no changes, not using/trusting Rivers knowledge would not be smart.

2. That's the thing we think we know when changes are coming, but the only people that truly know is the offense. Sometimes they call two plays in on the caveat if the the defense lines up like this go with play 2 instead of 1. I'm a skeptic though and I usually doubt talking heads/fans/podcasters that say they know exactly who called what.

3. I think this last game was an outlier than the trend, but if I'm wrong we will see in a couple weeks. I think we will

see us steadily improve as the season goes on.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

my reply gonna use your method because it is easy to address each thought.

1. I didn't mean to insinuate their was no changes, not using/trusting Rivers knowledge would not be smart.

2. That's the thing we think we know when changes are coming, but the only people that truly know is the offense. Sometimes they call two plays in on the caveat if the the defense lines up like this go with play 2 instead of 1. I'm a skeptic though and I usually doubt talking heads/fans/podcasters that say they know exactly who called what.

3. I think this last game was an outlier than the trend, but if I'm wrong we will see in a couple weeks. I think we will

see us steadily improve as the season goes on.

I agree we'll see steady improvement. At least I hope. Need Fisher back though in the worst way.

As far as Rivers though, we know he's got an incredible mind for reading Ds. We know he's excellent (per many coaches) at audibling. And we know the Indy O ran smoother (IMO as smooth or smoother than Luck days) in terms of play calling 2018 and 2019 vs 2020. So that leans me towards thinking Rivers was the ingredient.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree we'll see steady improvement. At least I hope. Need Fisher back though in the worst way.

As far as Rivers though, we know he's got an incredible mind for reading Ds. We know he's excellent (per many coaches) at audibling. And we know the Indy O ran smoother (IMO as smooth or smoother than Luck days) in terms of play calling 2018 and 2019 vs 2020. So that leans me towards thinking Rivers was the ingredient.

As long as Fisher plays competently and for 13 games or in the playoffs honestly I will consider him an upgrade over last years Castonzo.

Can't argue with that having a Rivers style player helps alot especially when it came to the turbulent Covid offseason.

• Like 1

I will come back but not for much.

Someone can tell me if they saw this from watching film. Lawrence Owen said he noticed Nelson was asked to slide over to help Davenport a lot  and that made a lot of pressure get through and that’s why Kelly struggled and some things got through up the middle. Ir makes sense why the running game struggled also. . Does that seem plausible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I will come back but not for much.

Someone can tell me if they saw this from watching film. Lawrence Owen said he noticed Nelson was asked to slide over to help Davenport a lot  and that made a lot of pressure get through and that’s why Kelly struggled and some things got through up the middle. Ir makes sense why the running game struggled also. . Does that seem plausible. 

Nelson is a big dude. He makes both the OC's and LT's job easier.

If he's cheating one way, he's not as helpful the other.

He cheated over a bit last year at times it seemed too. 

Ideally you don't want to "have to", but sometime you have to lol.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nelson is a big dude. He makes both the OC's and LT's job easier.

If he's cheating one way, he's not as helpful the other.

He cheated over a bit last year at times it seemed too. 

Ideally you don't want to "have to", but sometime you have to lol.

He mentioned a lot of Blitzers got through because of it. I have seen him take out his guy then someone else’s in one play before. Reich mentioned today he did a terrible job scheming up protections as a coach.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He mentioned a lot of Blitzers got through because of it. I have seen him take out his guy then someone else’s in one play before. Reich mentioned today he did a terrible job scheming up protections as a coach.

Kelly should be able to handle 1 on 1 IMO. I'd have to see the film on the sneak-throughs, but unless he had 2 guys, not really any excuse.

Reich throwing himself under the bus is nice, but no excuse not to adjust in game with at least a RB to help.

Based on my recollection, Wentz performed better in his 1st game as a Colt in the loss to Seattle than Rivers did last year in the loss to the Jaguars. 

The aforementioned aside, key week one takeaways … 

Seattle’s offence looked much better than the Colts’ offence,

Seattle’s defence looked much better than the Colts’ defence. 

Sure it’s just the 1st week, but it was just the 1st week for Seattle as well.  Ergo, so very disappointing that the Colts looked nowhere near ready to compete as compared to Seattle.  

To my poor vision eyes, Strachan looks like he should be ahead of Pittman & Campbell on the depth chart.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Kelly should be able to handle 1 on 1 IMO. I'd have to see the film on the sneak-throughs, but unless he had 2 guys, not really any excuse.

Reich throwing himself under the bus is nice, but no excuse not to adjust in game with at least a RB to help.

Right but then if they were throwing a blitzer in up the middle there wouldn’t be anyone to take them on. Maybe that’s why Kelly had so many pressures. He had his guy plus the blitzer to handle. You are right about not adjusting.  But it also gores back some on Wentz being rusty and not getting them in the right play.

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Based on my recollection, Wentz performed better in his 1st game as a Colt in the loss to Seattle than Rivers did last year in the loss to the Jaguars. 

The aforementioned aside, key week one takeaways … 

Seattle’s offence looked much better than the Colts’ offence,

Seattle’s defence looked much better than the Colts’ defence. 

Sure it’s just the 1st week, but it was just the 1st week for Seattle as well.  Ergo, so very disappointing that the Colts looked nowhere near ready to compete as compared to Seattle.  

To my poor vision eyes, Strachan looks like he should be ahead of Pittman & Campbell on the depth chart.

That division is a very good division too. 

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

That division is a very good division too. 

Yup.  Colts are going to have to show a LOT more on both sides of the ball to be considered in the same level of contender as compared to what I just saw from Seattle.

Side note, I am still troubled that the Colts went Paris Campbell over DK Metcalf in the draft. I SO wanted them to grab Metcalf at the time.  Maybe I am results oriented, but result matter and DK is just WAY better and I don’t think one can just blame the disparity on injuries as opposed to talent level.

12 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Right but then if they were throwing a blitzer in up the middle there wouldn’t be anyone to take them on. Maybe that’s why Kelly had so many pressures. He had his guy plus the blitzer to handle. You are right about not adjusting.  But it also gores back some on Wentz being rusty and not getting them in the right play.

Sorry. 0% not on Wentz.

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry. 0% not on Wentz.

I am not saying it was but Reich would be the only one to know because you wouldn’t be able to tell something like that by watching film. QB do have to get you out of bad plays and into good plays and slide players around to pick up blitzers. Not having a lot of camp would hurt him in that area.

35 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Yup.  Colts are going to have to show a LOT more on both sides of the ball to be considered in the same level of contender as compared to what I just saw from Seattle.

Side note, I am still troubled that the Colts went Paris Campbell over DK Metcalf in the draft. I SO wanted them to grab Metcalf at the time.  Maybe I am results oriented, but result matter and DK is just WAY better and I don’t think one can just blame the disparity on injuries as opposed to talent level.

Watching Sammy Watkins tonight makes me think what if we had him instead of TY.