Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Seahawks at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happen to braden Smith or the offensive line as a whole...they sucked the defense took a major step backward we are no longer 2 against the run after today game. Goes to show you that the signing of Eric fisher was a joke.....remind me again why we took a DE in the second round thats not even able to suit up this season but leave all the other tackles on the board. Ockerekee shows that he still can't cover.

Best thing from this game - even though Wentz didn't get any help from his OLine or receivers... or coaches... he didn't switch to hero mode. Executed the plan to the end. Now the plan and playcalling are a separate thing we can beef with, but at least one of the biggest worries for Wentz so far is assuaged. 

The offense started well... and that's a staple from Frank Reich offenses - while the scripted plays are on we are good... then... we can't get in rhythm and exhibit questionable playcalling(although, this time it's probably more on the execution/OL play). I will also need to rewatch the game to see if Wentz was missing open receivers, but I kind of feel like it's probably more likely we just didn't have many open receivers in the short time Wentz had to get rid off the ball. 

Everything else... Yuk! We will suffer a lot if this is the level we can expect from our OL, WRs, the whole D... just attrocious... 

8th year in a row, season opener disappointment. :(

Secondary is weak

Need Fisher at LT

Reich needs to better know when to take a FG vs going for it (2nd 4th down gamble, he should’ve took the easy FG to make it a 2 score game.  1st gamble that was the bad snap, I agreed with going for it, but not the outcome. lol)

Offensive play calling, well, offensive. 

Only the 1st game, still hoping for 3-2 in the 1st five games.  Go Colts!

3 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

What happen to braden Smith or the offensive line as a whole...they sucked the defense took a major step backward we are no longer 2 against the run after today game. Goes to show you that the signing of Eric fisher was a joke.....remind me again why we took a DE in the second round thats not even able to suit up this season but leave all the other tackles on the board. Ockerekee shows that he still can't cover.

Fisher didn’t even play. What are you on about?

Well, that was difficult to watch.

My thoughts:

• We saw the mobility that Wentz brings which this team didn't have last year. Unfortunately, we saw it too much which leads into the next thought.
  • The offensive line stunk today and not just Davenport. They couldn't protect Wentz and didn't allow the run game to get going. If this team is going to have any success then the offensive line must be much better. Eric Fisher entering the lineup isn't going to fix what we saw today.
  • I think we saw where we miss TY. He gives them a deep threat that they could have used.
  • I expect WIlson and those receivers to make some plays but it was just too easy for them today.
  • Defense couldn't stop the run and gave up too many big passing plays.

1. with our secondary on the mend, we were expecting the secondary to have a difficult time, which they did.

2. However, I was not expecting the run defense to look so bad. And they STUNK!

3. With the soft cover-2 defense, at least you don't give up the big plays.....oh wait!!

4. I know that we are a running team, but can we please switch it up on 1st downs. The offense does so much better when we mix up the run and the pass. When we are 1-dimensional, it's too easy for opposing defenses to adjust and make the stop.

5. Let's just take the points when it's there. You have 3 downs to try and score a TD. On 4th down, just take the points.

5 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

My prediction was 31-17 Seahawks..

Almost right on the money.

Defense was AWFUL in 1st half.

Offense was AWFUL in 2nd half.

O-Line was embarrassed. Colts need a game changing WR. Wentz played okay.

wentz not manning are luck type of qb,   have no deep wr,s  so their defense  easy day stuff run and pass rush.

We gave up big passing plays. Exposed a weak secondary. Offensive line play was not good - Need Fisher  back soon - Davenport was not good. Surprisingly Smith struggled.  Hard to generate an offensive game without good offensive line play. We gave up more on ground than I thought we would. 

On positive, Carson was pretty decent given he missed all pre-season games.  Taylor/Hines are a big part of the offense.  Pascal and Straughn were good

Just now, IndySouthsider said:

Paris had a nice catch, but I don’t see much impact for where he was drafted. 

Feels like a team still in preseason mode. Which, big picture, is really not a big deal.

Seattle looked like a team in mid season form, we looked like a team that was sleep walking. They have Russell Wilson though so I knew this wouldn't be easy and it wasn't.

My initial thought to this game: “Why am I not surprised?”

The O-Line was very bad today. Haven’t seen it that bad in quite some time. I honestly felt bad for Wentz. He’s probably thinking this O-Line is no different than Philly. 

Defense giving up big chunk plays and long shots down the field. Nothing we could do to stop it. 

we need a couple more elite playmakers on both sides of the ball still.  

1. O play calling was just bad. I expected more passing to the big boys. Only 6 total targets to Pittman and Strachan.
  2. D coaching and scheme was as soft as ever. Tons of cushion, and just bad coverage calls. C2 with Willis 2 deep is just silly vs Lockett and DK.
  3. OL stunk. Smith and Kelly get paid too much to get pushed around like they did. Hobbled Q looked better than the healthy guys.... Wentz having Philly flashbacks.
  4. Running game struggled as expected. Both Taylor and Hines under 4 AVG
  5. Run D was horrible. We allowed a 5.5 AVG and Carson looked like Henry with a 5.7 AVG. Okereke is just not that good.
  6. Pass D gave allowed 78% completion rate. The Bend Don't Break... got broke
  7. Wentz, even though he was harassed all game, still tossed for 2 TDs, no INTs, and a 66% completion rate. He did his job.
  8. Rock and Carrie played better than Moore and Willis.... opposite of most games
  9. DL was unimpressive.... only 1.5 sacks. DBs had 2.5. We need to reshuffle the DEs a bit IMO. 
  10. We're just not that good....

Defense can’t keep playing awful one half and good a second half.  We saw that way too much last year and saw it again today.  Willis was awful in the first half.  I’d say the Colts were a little scared of Metcalf and Lockett but when they didn’t play scared of them they burned them so I think they played them the right way most of the game.  The guys just have to play better.

The line is an issue and it wasn’t all at LT.  So Fisher returning alone won’t fix everything.  I think too many guys missed too much time in the pre-season for them to jell.

Frank’s play calling was just awful today.  Not running at all when down two scores when there was tones of time left letting them Seahawks t off on Wentz.  When he would run it was in the most obvious situations with the most obvious plays.  I like Hines but way too much of him and not enough of Taylor.  Colts kept going for the play action even though they hadn’t run enough to set it up and it didn’t fool the Seahawks at all.  Not every pass can be a dump off but I will when the line doesn’t block you can’t go down the field even if you want too.  

The play calling at then was what it was.  They were clearly trying to just not Wentz take shots for taking shots.  

Frank has to learn to take the points.  He’s too aggressive on fourth down at times.  Had they kicked at least one of those field goals they probably go for one on the second TD and it’s 28-20 and it’s different game at the end.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Best thing from this game - even though Wentz didn't get any help from his OLine or receivers... or coaches... he didn't switch to hero mode. Executed the plan to the end. Now the plan and playcalling are a separate thing we can beef with, but at least one of the biggest worries for Wentz so far is assuaged. 

My thoughts 1000%

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

The offense started well... and that's a staple from Frank Reich offenses - while the scripted plays are on we are good... then... we can't get in rhythm and exhibit questionable playcalling(although, this time it's probably more on the execution/OL play). I will also need to rewatch the game to see if Wentz was missing open receivers, but I kind of feel like it's probably more likely we just didn't have many open receivers in the short time Wentz had to get rid off the ball. 

Everything else... Yuk! We will suffer a lot if this is the level we can expect from our OL, WRs, the whole D... just attrocious... 

I hate when I have to stream.... No DVR replay to grade :-(

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

1. O play calling was just bad. I expected more passing to the big boys. Only 6 total targets to Pittman and Strachan.
  2. D coaching and scheme was as soft as ever. Tons of cushion, and just bad coverage calls. C2 with Willis 2 deep is just silly vs Lockett and DK.
  3. OL stunk. Smith and Kelly get paid too much to get pushed around like they did. Hobbled Q looked better than the healthy guys.... Wentz having Philly flashbacks.
  4. Running game struggled as expected. Both Taylor and Hines under 4 AVG
  5. Run D was horrible. We allowed a 5.5 AVG and Carson looked like Henry with a 5.7 AVG. Okereke is just not that good.
  6. Pass D gave allowed 78% completion rate. The Bend Don't Break... got broke
  7. Wentz, even though he was harassed all game, still tossed for 2 TDs, no INTs, and a 66% completion rate. He did his job.
  8. Rock and Carrie played better than Moore and Willis.... opposite of most games
  9. DL was unimpressive.... only 1.5 sacks. DBs had 2.5. We need to reshuffle the DEs a bit IMO. 
  10. We're just not that good....

Russell Wilson will make a lot teams look bad. I am more concerned about our O.line than anything, even more than the secondary. Wentz needs protection, without it we are screwed.

3 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

There are correctable problems, but the Colts have virtually no big-time talent at Edge or WR.

Cutting Autry loose was a mistake.  AQM is not a starter.  

Unless Kwity Paye turns into one, 5 years into Ballard's management, we have no starting level DE, no long-term starting level outside corner and no long-term starting outside receiver(Strachan is probably our best chance at one... People were killing me here when I was saying Pittman has never shown ability to beat man coverage outside... neither has Campbell BTW).

7 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

1)Wentz looked better then I thought

2)Kwity Paye made an impact

3)Pittman needs to step up

4)Pascal solid as usual

5)Rhodes needs to come back

6)Fisher needs to play next week

7)Strachan is NFL ready

Agree with most...

Pittman was 3/4 for for 29... He played well with the limited targets he got.

For a team and General Manager that prides itself on wining in the trenches, were were absolutely dominated today. Very disappointing.

Wentz did as well as one could expect.

Just one another note, we really lack explosive offensive weapons. I know were supposedly built differently, but the Seahawks offense was so much more superior than ours. They looked like a playoff team. Michael Pittman Jr can run as many crossers as he likes, but the guy has to show he can win 1v1 on the boundary if he wants to be an X wide receiver in this league.

5 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Cutting Autry loose was a mistake. 

I guess you are not considering the results of the Titans-Cardinals game today with this statement.

Autry is solid but he isn't a difference maker. He wouldn't have solved the problems the Colts had today.

8 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Well, that was difficult to watch.

My thoughts:

• We saw the mobility that Wentz brings which this team didn't have last year. Unfortunately, we saw it too much which leads into the next thought.
  • The offensive line stunk today and not just Davenport. They couldn't protect Wentz and didn't allow the run game to get going. If this team is going to have any success then the offensive line must be much better. Eric Fisher entering the lineup isn't going to fix what we saw today.
  • I think we saw where we miss TY. He gives them a deep threat that they could have used.
  • I expect WIlson and those receivers to make some plays but it was just too easy for them today.
  • Defense couldn't stop the run and gave up too many big passing plays.

Agree with all but the TY comment... We didn't have the time really to let deep plays set up today. And Reich last year really didn't let TY run a lot of go routes.

5 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I had 24-10 Seattle. Carson looked lost all day today. Reich had a horrible gameplan. Time management was abysmal. Completely let down by the team

Any QB would look lost when you’re getting virtually no time to throw or make any reads. You people who are going on and on about this act like it’s Madden where you can just push a button and the ball is thrown immediately. 

Look at the Super Bowl last year. Mahomes was CONSTANTLY under pressure and didn’t do anything, and guess what? He took hits and didn’t score any touchdowns. Mahomes, you know, that guy that can make anything out of nothing. Even Wilson took hits today when he didn’t get time to do anything. Our oline sucked today, and Wentz did everything possible to extend plays and drives. 

Archived