Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Howie Roseman takes a shot at Wentz

cjwhiskers

Saw this earlier on the Pat McAfee Show. Howie taking a shot at Caron’s durability. 

He isn’t wrong but I most definitely feel like he could have stated that a little bit differently. Could see why some players including Carson weren’t a big fan of him. Makes me glad we have CB. 

I just hope Carson is taking a lesson from Darius and using every bit of that stuff to fuel his desire.

True, Roseman was right.  Will he still feel that way at the end of the season, or will he be looking for another franchise QB then?

None of the talk matters.  Just the games.

It's reality, not really a shot.

I'm sure he's a bit miffed how things ended though. IMO, his QB will struggle, and Wentz will likely look much better in his new home... If that happens, Howie will look bad. If Wentz struggles or gets injured again, Howie looks like a genius.... 

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's reality, not really a shot.

I'm sure he's a bit miffed how things ended though. IMO, his QB will struggle, and Wentz will likely look much better in his new home... If that happens, Howie will look bad. If Wentz struggles or gets injured again, Howie looks like a genius.... 

right.  its more a positive statement directed at hurts than a negative one directed at wentz

It is the reality that Wentz needs to work on to change.  He does need to protect himself while still taking some risks to help his team win.  Sometimes the smart play is learning to survive to be available for the next play.

I will admit there were times I was frustrated with Manning when he would crumple to the ground rather than stand in there and deliver at the last moment.  But with the most important position on the team, and the hardest to replace with a back up, sometimes that is the smart play. 

The scheme can help, coaching can help, but Carson needs to find that balance where he is effective and as protected as possible.

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

right.  its more a positive statement directed at hurts than a negative one directed at wentz

He's got to have his guys back. We'll see how it works out, but I think the chances are low that he's a franchise QB. Loved him and college though, and admire how he handled things.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

He's got to have his guys back. We'll see how it works out, but I think the chances are low that he's a franchise QB. Loved him and college though, and admire how he handled things.

Yeah I think Hurts falls into the group of being a great locker room guy but just doesn't have the talent to be a starting QB.

Just now, Zoltan said:

Yeah I think Hurts falls into the group of being a great locker room guy but just doesn't have the talent to be a starting QB.

Probably gonna be a tough year for Sirianni. I could see Minshew getting an opportunity later in the eyar. I don't think Minshew is great or anything, but I think he can be effective with the right game plan and talent around him. Hurts obviously will get an opportunity first as he's still the unknown, but will be interesting to follow. I'd like to see Hurts succeed though. Overall, the Eagles team just screams like a situation that needs to be blown up and rebuilt to an extent.

When it comes to durability maybe Howie should of focused more on getting healthy lineman, because it's hard to stay healthy if you are getting sacked/hit all the time, I think it was stampede blue that had Wentz was 15th for time to throw between 2018-2020 yet was 6th for sacks and 11th for pressures in the same time frame.

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

When it comes to durability maybe Howie should of focused more on getting healthy lineman, because it's hard to stay healthy if you are getting sacked/hit all the time, I think it was stampede blue that had Wentz was 15th for time to throw between 2018-2020 yet was 6th for sacks and 11th for pressures in the same time frame.

Not just OL.

Pass catchers last year missed a ton too. 

I'm surprised thought that Wentz didn't get hurt early last year lol.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Probably gonna be a tough year for Sirianni. I could see Minshew getting an opportunity later in the eyar. I don't think Minshew is great or anything, but I think he can be effective with the right game plan and talent around him. Hurts obviously will get an opportunity first as he's still the unknown, but will be interesting to follow. I'd like to see Hurts succeed though. Overall, the Eagles team just screams like a situation that needs to be blown up and rebuilt to an extent.

^Pretty much agree with all of it. The Eagles have given some bad contracts and have drafted really bad the last couple years. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not just OL.

Pass catchers last year missed a ton too. 

I'm surprised thought that Wentz didn't get hurt early last year lol.

Yeah he lead the league in sacks while not playing the whole season. As for receivers they were 32nd in the league for yards after catch 2018 through 2020. The whole organization has been a sinking ship since the SB run.

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

^Pretty much agree with all of it. The Eagles have given some bad contracts and have drafted really bad the last couple years. 

Injuries, draft, FAs, contracts.... just seems like a bad situation lol... Went down hill after 2017. IMO, 2017 was the planets aligning around a very good OL. 

9 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah he lead the league in sacks while not playing the whole season. As for receivers they were 32nd in the league for yards after catch 2018 through 2020. The whole organization has been a sinking ship since the SB run.

IIRC, his WRs were top 5ish in drops as well. 

Pretty sure he had the most, or near the most man-games-lost in both OL and WR last year.

35 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

In today's world, coach speak and sunshine pumping is embraced, and any honesty around difficult topics is a "shot".

Wasn't overly negative, and more factual than anything.

I hope Carson takes it as a shot though lol.

It's not really a difficult topic, and it could easily be answered without invoking Wentz. Certainly without basically saying 'he never helped us in the playoffs,' which is basically what his answer was.

I'm not taking issue with Roseman's answer, but it was definitely a shot at Wentz.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

It's not really a difficult topic, and it could easily be answered without invoking Wentz. Certainly without basically saying 'he never helped us in the playoffs,' which is basically what his answer was.

I'm not taking issue with Roseman's answer, but it was definitely a shot at Wentz.

Our opinions differ. The question was a difficult questions, and IIRC, was asked if he'd make the Hurtz pick again. And you can't really answer that with any reasonable honestly or depth, without acknowledging the Wentz impact on the topic. The pick wouldn't have happened if Wentz was the picture of health. 

Sure he could have provided a coach-speak answer without elaborating on what pushed the decision, but it really wouldn't have been an honest answer. I personally prefer honesty over coach-speak. The sanitization of pressers in general has gone full tilt Clorox like lol... 

4 hours ago, cjrulli said:

Saw this earlier on the Pat McAfee Show. Howie taking a shot at Caron’s durability. 

He isn’t wrong but I most definitely feel like he could have stated that a little bit differently. Could see why some players including Carson weren’t a big fan of him. Makes me glad we have CB. 

Well Howie didn’t exactly set Wentz up to succeed. He let his team collapse in on itself as soon as he won the SB. That’s the difference between dynasties and one-time wonders; the dynasties are making plans for winning multiple Super Bowls, while the others are just focusing on winning one, with little to no idea what to do after that.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I just hope Carson is taking a lesson from Darius and using every bit of that stuff to fuel his desire.

True, Roseman was right.  Will he still feel that way at the end of the season, or will he be looking for another franchise QB then?

None of the talk matters.  Just the games.

Chances are, it won't be Roseman looking for another QB if Hurts isn't the answer.... (He's not the answer btw)

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Our opinions differ. The question was a difficult questions, and IIRC, was asked if he'd make the Hurtz pick again. And you can't really answer that with any reasonable honestly or depth, without acknowledging the Wentz impact on the topic. The pick wouldn't have happened if Wentz was the picture of health. 

Sure he could have provided a coach-speak answer without elaborating on what pushed the decision, but it really wouldn't have been an honest answer. I personally prefer honesty over coach-speak. The sanitization of pressers in general has gone full tilt Clorox like lol... 

It's ok,  no one will be asking him anything when he gets fired when hurts is a glorified running back this year

Who cares?

I mean really it's sour grapes to me. Just worry about what you are doing. That just tells me Philly is still trash. Focus on your job. If everyone does their job nobody can stop you, especially not at the NFL level. Wentz has already taken way too much heat for the dumpster fire in Philly. To me they are turning into the Jaggs real quick. 2 Gs!!! Seriously. 

On 9/8/2021 at 3:02 PM, cjrulli said:

3 of those games were 2017 when he tore his ACL. 

I feel bad for Sirianni: he went from a great organization, where there’s an owner who lets his GM and coaching staff do their jobs, to a disfunctional one where the  owner interferes and the GM over pays for FA talent, doesn’t manage the cap well and is more “miss” than “hit” in the draft.

We Colts fans know the importance of selecting well, when you have top picks: Peyton over Ryan Leaf, Edge over Ricky Williams and Luck over RG III, to name a few. The Eagles will probably have 3 first rounders next year and if they don’t get a “football guy” to either replace or assist  Howie, they’ll regret it for a long time.

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I feel bad for Sirianni: he went from a great organization, where there’s an owner who lets his GM and coaching staff do their jobs, to a disfunctional one where the  owner interferes and the GM over pays for FA talent, doesn’t manage the cap well and is more “miss” than “hit” in the draft.

We Colts fans know the importance of selecting well, when you have top picks: Peyton over Ryan Leaf, Edge over Ricky Williams and Luck over RG III, to name a few. The Eagles will probably have 3 first rounders next year and if they don’t get a “football guy” to either replace or assist  Howie, they’ll regret it for a long time.

Sirianni gets to be a HC…I don’t feel bad for him. You take that shot if you get it as an OC.

And PHI is not devoid of talent on offense. The OL was all hurt last year, but it’s still a top tier unit now that they are healthy. The RB room is solid. And they have some young, talented WRs (including a Heisman winner). 

If Sirianni can take all of that and make Hurts look like a legit starting QB over a season, he gets to write his own ticket going forward. 

Archived