Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kelly contract restructure

w87r

I thought they might do this earlier in the offseason, at the present moment it seems the timing is a little weird?

1. Q extension?

2. High $ FA?

3. Just to have extra space?(Doesn't feel like this one)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/03/colts-restructure-ryan-kellys-contract-to-create-cap-space/

With the season getting underway next week, the Colts have given themselves a little more flexibility with the salary cap.

Per ESPN’s Field Yates, Indianapolis has restructured center Ryan Kelly‘s contract by converting $9 million of salary into a signing bonus. That move created $6.75 million in cap space.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I thought they might do this earlier in the offseason, at the present moment it seems the timing is a little weird?

1. Q extension?

2. High $ FA?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/03/colts-restructure-ryan-kellys-contract-to-create-cap-space/

Zach Galifianakis Thank You GIF

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

1. Q extension?

2. High $ FA?

I'm going with 1 and 2. 

3 doesn't make a lot sense to me as extra space for carry over just makes up for the $ they just pushed.

I'd add 4, extension for Hines to go with 1 and 2. Word is they've been talking.

While I want Q to be extended, we have a whole extra year with the 5th year option if needed.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm going with 1 and 2. 

3 doesn't make a lot sense to me as extra space for carry over just makes up for the $ they just pushed.

I'd add 4, extension for Hines to go with 1 and 2. Word is they've been talking.

While I want Q to be extended, we have a whole extra year with the 5th year option if needed.

I agree on Q, no real reason it needs to be done this season.

Hines? IDK, I think extending him early could be a mistake. What if he gets hurt?

I am going to scour FA and potential trade targets that this might play into.

I have the day off with 4 day weekend, I got some time today.

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

I read that, and the first thing I thought was - he's gone.  Why wouldn't the Eagles want to trade him?  Do they really think they're contenders this season?  Maybe they do, but it's not realistic to me.

He's an older player with a big contract.  BB would have dealt him last season before he got hurt.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Hines? IDK, I think extending him early could be a mistake. What if he gets hurt?

I'd be in a wait and see mode on Hines too. But if he's willing to sign a team friendly deal, I'd get it done. I'm in the camp that RBs are fungible to an extent, but I'd love to keep him so long as the price tag is nice. 

I'm free for 4 days too, except for an early afternoon INTL call today I can't miss. 

Not many FAs out there I'd want. Okung is a guy who I wanted early in the process, but at this point, not interested unless Fisher had a setback.

I'd think it's more in the trade area if not Hines or Q. I could see Ertz, but hope not to be honest. If not TE or OT, DB would be my guess as I think it's our weakest area. Wouldn't mind a top end MIKE though. Maybe they're picking up Cam lol (j/k).

I'm not supporting an Ertz trade, but think it's a possibility. I don't care what the 'reports' are.

He still could be the most talented/effective TE in our room. 

The question was asked, and I'm just spit balling.

I'd have to guess Q, though, but the timing IS a little odd.

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

I have the day off with 4 day weekend, I got some time today

FA targets:

Okung

Schwartz

Wagner

Richard Sherman

Avery Williamson

Kamal Martin

Trade Targets:

Michael Thomas?

CJ Henderson?

Ertz

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I'd be in a wait and see mode on Hines too. But if he's willing to sign a team friendly deal, I'd get it done. I'm in the camp that RBs are fungible to an extent, but I'd love to keep him so long as the price tag is nice. 

I'm free for 4 days too, except for an early afternoon INTL call today I can't miss. 

Not many FAs out there I'd want. Okung is a guy who I wanted early in the process, but at this point, not interested unless Fisher had a setback.

I'd think it's more in the trade area if not Hines or Q. I could see Ertz, but hope not to be honest. If not TE or OT, DB would be my guess as I think it's our weakest area. Wouldn't mind a top end MIKE though. Maybe they're picking up Cam lol (j/k).

Yep right there with my thoughts.

2 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Could be they want to extra $ in case they have to pull in a vet QB during the season due to Covid or injury.

Could be, could even be for Foles? 

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I read that, and the first thing I thought was - he's gone.  Why wouldn't the Eagles want to trade him?  Do they really think they're contenders this season?  Maybe they do, but it's not realistic to me.

He's an older player with a big contract.  BB would have dealt him last season before he got hurt.

Yeah, I could see them moving him even though he wants to stay.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Why would we need to clear that when we were under the cap..

19 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Have we ruled out an Ertz trade?

According to Sporrtstrac we are at 7 mil under but not sure if that includes the restructure.  It does include Hilton to IR so maybe.

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

You could say the what if he gets hurt about anyone they choose to extend.  I get that people have legit concerns over extending Hines but fear of injury shouldn’t be a major one because again that can happen to any player.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Why would we need to clear that when we were under the cap..

Its weird, right now Spotrac shows us with $7m in vap space after the restructure, OtC shows us at -$5.somethingM with out mobe figured in.?

So yeah, looks like most likely to free up money.

Practice Squads hit the cap at almost $3m and we were already low at that point. We had been working on top 51 cap space anyway, so once some players hot the IR, other players below top 51 salaries came up.

Money is just tight this year.

So just looked at our cap...

OTC has us at -$5.4M

ST has us at $7.0 (top 51)

Not sure which is correct (or if the restructure is updated) lol, but that's a $12.4M delta. I didn't think we were negative, and pretty sure we weren't last week when I looked.

Assuming ST is correct, and we have $7M....... Add the $6.7M to that to get us to $13.7...... If OTC is correct, just gets us in the black.

Ertz's cap hit this year is $12.7M.....

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

You could say the what if he gets hurt about anyone they choose to extend.  I get that people have legit concerns over extend Hines but fear of injury shouldn’t be a major one because again that can happen to any player.

Yeah but he is undersized player that will take more hits, greater risk and really no reason to extend early. Unless he takes team friendly deal as EastStreet said.

7 minutes ago, Shepman said:

According to Sporrtstrac we are at 7 mil under but not sure if that includes the restructure.  It does include Hilton to IR so maybe.

That $7m is reflective of restructure

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

OTC has us at -$5.4M

Not sure which is correct (or if the restructure is updated) lol, but that's a $12.4M delta. I didn't think we were negative, and pretty sure we weren't last week when I looked.

Assuming ST is correct, and we have $7M....... Add the $6.7M to that to get us to $13.7...... If OTC is correct, just gets us in the black.

Spotracs numbers reflect restructure.

Ertz would only cost us $8.5m. Philly would have to cover the rest(already did technically)

OTC has us at -$5.4M

Not sure which is correct lol, but that's a $12.4M delta. I didn't think we were negative, and pretty sure we weren't last week when I looked.

Assuming ST is correct, and we have $7M....... Add the $6.7M to that to get us to $13.7...... 

If your assumptions are correct, we're not going after Ertz unless there's a restructure. Even then, we'd be tighter than we're used to ,and than I'd like.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I found it.

The only thing I could think of here is they were looking at the total cap space, not top 51.

Obviously when you cut down 15-20 players to get to 53, you will clear close to $15-$20m in total cap savings

Just now, w87r said:

Spotracs numbers reflect restructure.

Ertz would only cost us $8.5m. Philly would have to cover the rest(already did technically)

The delta between the two are strange even with the restructure.

Yup (on the Ertz cap hit). 

If I'm Philly, unless I'm trying to tank, not letting Ertz go.

3 minutes ago, buccolts said:

If your assumptions are correct, we're not going after Ertz unless there's a restructure. Even then, we'd be tighter than we're used to ,and than I'd like.

yup, if ST is up to date, we'd still need to find 1.5M somewhere unless Philly ate some, or Ertz restructured.

whatever it is, pretty interesting move.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

The delta between the two are strange even with the restructure.

Yup (on the Ertz cap hit). 

If I'm Philly, unless I'm trying to tank, not letting Ertz go.

Yeah that gap is huge(Spotrac/OtC).

Agree with Philly as well. They would save less than $5m on cap by releasing or trading him.(off $12.7m cap hit)

whatever it is, pretty interesting move.

It seems strictly cap space to me, at this point, after looking into it a little more.

No money for trades, bid $ FA.

Spending cash throughout the year. It will go back up a little when some guys come off IR and other players are dropped off roster. Not much but probably a couple $M

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah that gap is huge(Spotrac/OtC).

Agree with Philly as well. They would save less than $5m on cap by releasing or trading him.(off $12.7m cap hit)

And you'd think if Indy and Philly have been talking about an Ertz trade, why wasn't Chachere not part of it (if Philly really needed him, why risk exposure to claims).

Archived