Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Initial 53 Man Roster

EastStreet

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He's a duplicate of what we have in abundance.  We need the single high FS who can drop down and do other safety things from time to time competently (unlike Hooker did them).  Or the zone S who can switch to single high competently from time to time without a personnel change.  I was hoping that would be Shawn Davis.

RYSs best attributes are his tough attitude and physicality/scrappiness.  I think he should be strictly a #2 zone corner who is assigned to cover the opponents X or bully slot in a limited zone space.  Beyond that he gets beat.  JMO.

But I don't like our DBs that well overall.  They get by, and a better pass rush will help.  The only safety I like is Blackmon, only because he's around the ball.  But I think he's not big enough to be SS.  His body won't match his playing style, unfortunately. 

I blame talent less than scheme. We mix coverages too much. Need to simplify a bit.

Read something recently, I think PFF, that said we're in C3 the most (like around 25-30%), but aren't in the top 16 of any one particular coverage except for quarter-quarter-half (C6). In short, just way too much bouncing around, and way too much decision making.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Yeah I didn’t expect him at practice yesterday with those comments so hopefully that is good news. Looks like he was doing team drills there.

Just hope he's back to 100% by next weekend.

I want to see pressure and containment of Wilson.

If he can run around or sit back there, we're in trouble.

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I blame talent less than scheme. We mix coverages too much. Need to simplify a bit.

Read something recently, I think PFF, that said we're in C3 the most (like around 25-30%), but aren't in the top 16 of any one particular coverage except for quarter-quarter-half (C6). In short, just way too much bouncing around, and way too much decision making.

But Blackmon and Willis should be Expected to become better decision makers with experience in the D, and by playing together.
 Flus has a plan. And Flus now has the pass rushers to create Havoc.
That changes things for the back 7. I definitely do expect more turnovers.
And let's wish for playing from the lead as that turned Freeney and Mathis into the names they became. They sure couldn't defend the run.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

But Blackmon and Willis should be Expected to become better decision makers with experience in the D, and by playing together.
And let's wish for playing from the lead as that turned Freeney and Mathis into the names they became. They sure couldn't defend the run.

I sure wish we would have given Hooker another chance.  I think he made the Cowboys roster.  He is talented when healthy.

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We all hope all our young players get better. Doesn't always happen.

I'm not sure some deficiencies are solved by simple experience in our D.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Yeah I shared that article in another thread, it Cover 3 was our Base defense around 30% with quarters being our most used on 3rd downs.

Just now, stitches said:

I was excited to see Tell back, but he showed very little in the games and reports were not glowing about his practice performances either. Too bad. 

When we drafted him, didn't like his "soft" qualities. Then got excited when they said they were converting him to CB.... He had some ups and downs, but he had a good game (I think Houston), and thought he was taking a step forward. I thought his ceiling was "depth" so not all that disappointed.

Oh well. Never really got invested in him. 

Archived