Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Lions Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

Reflections from the following morning

• The backup OL is terrible.  Please, please, please, don't nobody in the starters get hurt
  • Rookie Shawn Davis was in on every play.  He's definitely on this roster, and Odom may need to start getting concerned
  • RYS is still vulnerable.  Yes, he made the team.  But I wouldn't write home about it.
  • Marvell Tell may not make the team.  The Great Absent Savior from 2020 might have just been a dream.
  • Eric Fisher needs to play.  Now.
  • Kwity Paye is the real deal.  I'm hoping for 12 sacks from the rookie this year.
  • Banogu will make the team.  His burst and hustle have greatly improved.  Now, to translate it to results.
  • Jacob Eason still looks like he's trying to survive third down, rather than achieve a result despite third down.
  • Can I get a pair of Hot Rod spectacles?
  • Wish I could have seen more from the starting WR's.  They're still more potential than proven.
  • We didn't score many TD's over 3 preseason games.  I sure hope the regular season doesn't continue this.
  • Two weeks 'till opening day.  And I've got tickets!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Kafusi..... led the team in tackles by a wide margin. Also had a PD. Kid just plays. He's got to have a spot for STs. He's my "underdog" of the year, and should carry on the UDFA streak.

I really like this kid.  Hope he makes it and would love to see him and Glasgow running down on punts/kicks

I wonder if Patmon hurt his foot right before he caught the long pass or after.  He didn’t look very fast after the catch.  

I won’t be surprised if they IR him, mainly to keep Dulin on the roster.  

Vaughns looks good too.  Actually, all the WRs that don’t make the team should be in the NFL.  

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I wonder if Patmon hurt his foot right before he caught the long pass or after.  He didn’t look very fast after the catch.  

I won’t be surprised if they IR him, mainly to keep Dulin on the roster.  

Vaughns looks good too.  Actually, all the WRs that don’t make the team should be in the NFL.  

TV was impressive 

9 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Nice to have an undefeated preseason.  First one in 27 years I believe.  Now...bring on the regular season!  Hopefully Carson will be good to go week one.  

I've been away from these boards for awhile.   I became a first time father in May and have been falling head over heels with my new baby girl devoting most of my time to her. Lol.   I will try to post more often now that the regular season is here.  Good to be back! Go Colts!  

Congratulations!  Nothing better in life.  

That first year is a tough one.  Try to get as much rest as you can.  You’re going to need it

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

the colts offensive line depth scares me they played so bad this preseason .

We could well go shopping post cut down day for depth.   Reed is a player, Pinter has been hurt but can play in this league those 2 we are fine. Fries is young could make cut then get waived with hops of making it back through for p.s. Holden likely makes the initial cut but wouldnt be surprised he is then released and likely someone not realizing how bad he is signs him. Tevi was never going to make the squad. None of the rest figure in, Hunt has been a disappointment, O'Donnell and Elderkamp arent progressing enough yet.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

The thing is when you bookend a mediocre guard/center with good talent they wont look so bad. It looks like Davenport will be reasonably decent and will make nice depth when Fisher returns. So we are likely better off than but a few teams, if not in the best situation. 

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Reflections from the following morning

• The backup OL is terrible.  Please, please, please, don't nobody in the starters get hurt
  • Rookie Shawn Davis was in on every play.  He's definitely on this roster, and Odom may need to start getting concerned
  • RYS is still vulnerable.  Yes, he made the team.  But I wouldn't write home about it.
  • Marvell Tell may not make the team.  The Great Absent Savior from 2020 might have just been a dream.
  • Eric Fisher needs to play.  Now.
  • Kwity Paye is the real deal.  I'm hoping for 12 sacks from the rookie this year.
  • Banogu will make the team.  His burst and hustle have greatly improved.  Now, to translate it to results.
  • Jacob Eason still looks like he's trying to survive third down, rather than achieve a result despite third down.
  • Can I get a pair of Hot Rod spectacles?
  • Wish I could have seen more from the starting WR's.  They're still more potential than proven.
  • We didn't score many TD's over 3 preseason games.  I sure hope the regular season doesn't continue this.
  • Two weeks 'till opening day.  And I've got tickets!

To me, Rookie Davis often looked lost out there, and took really bad angles with his tackling. More like a chicken with his head cutoff.
 But i did fall asleep when we were down 17-9.
 Imagine my pleasant surprise when i woke up about the time the players were shaking hands. 

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

There is no team in NFL history that has ever had more than 1 or 2 good backups at O.Line. Having 2 good backups is pushing it. That is why staying healthy is key. I bolded good for a reason. That is like hoping we have Peyton as our QB and Andrew as the backup lmao 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is no team in NFL history that has ever had more than 1 or 2 good backups at O.Line. Having 2 good backups is pushing it. That is why staying healthy is key. I bolded good for a reason. That is like hoping we have Peyton as our QB and Andrew as the backup lmao 

Like Joe Montana and Steve Young? Unitas & Morell?

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

To me, Rookie Davis often looked lost out there, and took really bad angles with his tackling. More like a chicken with his head cutoff.
 But i did fall asleep when we were down 17-9.
 Imagine my pleasant surprise when i woke up about the time the players were shaking hands. 

I was just about to say the same thing about Shawn Davis. I was kind of surprised people in this thread were saying how impressive he was. He missed badly on several tackles, and got straight up embarrassed by their RB one time (I think the guy who was a converted safety)

edit - forgot to mention that he also dropped the pick that was gift wrapped to him, although this doesn't bother me as much, because you don't usually expect your safety to have great hands, you expect him to be able to tackle though

46 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The backup OL looked pathetic the first half. Better hope the OL starters stay healthy this year. I still like Ehlinger over Eason. With time and work I think he is going to a starter some where some day.

Peyton Manning in his first year threw 28 interceptions and led that Colts to an amazing record of 3-13 so yuk it up if you think Eason is the answer.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Don’t really get why so many people are surprised 2nd, 3rd OL aren’t good or even average. This is a league wide problem not a Colts problem.

Yea while there is a big drop off from starting NFL caliber olineman to backups. Our backups are getting beat by other teams backup dline. 

Rock is going to get picked on if he doesnt clean up the sloppy plays.  He seems to do better in zone coverage which we run most of the time, but lookout when we switch to man.  Im sure Qbs will be looking for that.

Kwity has been really good, maybe another genius pick by CB.  He is a mismatch against second string players already.  Good tackles might have their hands full with him

Strachan needs to learn special teams for now, i think we will see him catching passes someday 

9 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Yea while there is a big drop off from starting NFL caliber olineman to backups. Our backups are getting beat by other teams backup dline. 

DL talent have been better than OL talent overall for quite some time now.

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rare and Morrall IMO threw SB 3. Look at the highlights. Dude had a WR wide open for a TD and just ignored him and threw INT after INT. After I watched that SB on film it made me want to puke lmao 

The Jet game plan beat the Colts - common knowledge

18 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Don’t see it happening. Unless they think Jackson could be pretty good, it would be a lateral move. Maybe since Jackson is younger though 

Probably won't but I like him. If we were contemplating it I think we would have at least started playing him more snaps than Lemay

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

• QB - both JE and SE looked good. I think this was Eason's best game. A bit of a slow start, but came on hard and went 10-14. Ehlinger's touches were of course limited, and too much was made of the busted play / blown coverage deep ball. Pretty certain Eason is a lock for #2. Hundley had a rude "hello" on his first play but did OK after that.
  • RB - Good game by both Jackson and LeMay. Jackson's 8.1 AVG is skewed by the 42 yarder, but even without that, he still had 4.3 AVG. Lemay respectable with 4.0, and I love his tude (just don't like the penalties).
  • WR/TE 
    • Strachan 5/7 for 61
    • Patmon 2/2 for 64. Busted play and blow coverage accounts for 60, but still nice. 
    • Dulin 2/3, but a really really nice sideline grab. I wish they'd work him more in across the middle instead of the sideline.
    • Granson!!! looked pretty decent going 3-4. Much better outing for him. 
    • Vaughns and Black both had some nice moments. Hope they make it to the PS.
  • OL - yuck lol. Holden didn't look good. Tevi worse.
  • Kafusi..... led the team in tackles by a wide margin. Also had a PD. Kid just plays. He's got to have a spot for STs. He's my "underdog" of the year, and should carry on the UDFA streak.
  • DL
    • Rochell led the DL in Ts, and added a sack, a QB hit, and TFL. Should be good enough for a spot.
    • Brown looked good with both a T and TFL
    • Paye with a sack and QBH
    • Banogu - not a good game. Whiffed big on a sack, and registered no sacks, TFLs, or QBHs.
  • DBs
    • Shawn Davis led the DBs in Ts, but let and INT get away from him.
    • Tell had 3 Ts and PD, but not sure that's enough
  • STs
    • Harris had two pretty good KRs
    • Vaughns not so hot in PRs
    • Blankenship 4/4 and 1/1
    • Dirty Sanchez with a nice 52.5 AVG

Paye with a STRIP sack, nonetheless.  That play was beautiful!

45 minutes ago, krunk said:

Jackson over Wilkins?

Probably not.  But how about Jackson over Mack?  Mack was a FA forever until we resigned him.  Did he show enough in preseason to indicate he is fully recovered?  Who has more upside?   Both Mack and Wilkins are FA after this year.  I would be tempted to keep Jackson on the 53.  I don’t think Mack plays special teams either.  Not a cut and dry choice for me.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Jackson over Wilkins?

WE know Wilkins can be rather effective doing what he does best, including as a special teamer.
 But as a runner he is kind of predictable as a str8 ahead runner. Yet his YPC is very good, but is that because he usually breaks one for a good gain so it raises his avg. And yes he can catch a pass for a very nice gain.
 The big question for the staff is, do they like Jackson as a 4th back contributor for this season, and believe his ceiling could be next years #2, even spot #1. I for sure don't think they consider Wilkins to be that guy next year. And of course Mack could end up anywhere.
 Sirianni would have to like landing some of our culture in his lockerroom.

31 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Probably not.  But how about Jackson over Mack?  Mack was a FA forever until we resigned him.  Did he show enough in preseason to indicate he is fully recovered?  Who has more upside?   Both Mack and Wilkins are FA after this year.  I would be tempted to keep Jackson on the 53.  I don’t think Mack plays special teams either.  Not a cut and dry choice for me.

We’re not cutting Mack.   Ballard loves him.  I’m sure others do too.    We fully guaranteed his 21 salary which is $2 mill. 

If we didn’t play him much,  there’s a reason.  

If there’s a back to move it’s Wilkins in a trade if we could make one, and that’s a big if. 

Archived