Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Lions Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• QB - both JE and SE looked good. I think this was Eason's best game. A bit of a slow start, but came on hard and went 10-14. Ehlinger's touches were of course limited, and too much was made of the busted play / blown coverage deep ball. Pretty certain Eason is a lock for #2. Hundley had a rude "hello" on his first play but did OK after that.
  • RB - Good game by both Jackson and LeMay. Jackson's 8.1 AVG is skewed by the 42 yarder, but even without that, he still had 4.3 AVG. Lemay respectable with 4.0, and I love his tude (just don't like the penalties).
  • WR/TE 
    • Strachan 5/7 for 61
    • Patmon 2/2 for 64. Busted play and blow coverage accounts for 60, but still nice. 
    • Dulin 2/3, but a really really nice sideline grab. I wish they'd work him more in across the middle instead of the sideline.
    • Granson!!! looked pretty decent going 3-4. Much better outing for him. 
    • Vaughns and Black both had some nice moments. Hope they make it to the PS.
  • OL - yuck lol. Holden didn't look good. Tevi worse.
  • Kafusi..... led the team in tackles by a wide margin. Also had a PD. Kid just plays. He's got to have a spot for STs. He's my "underdog" of the year, and should carry on the UDFA streak.
  • DL
    • Rochell led the DL in Ts, and added a sack, a QB hit, and TFL. Should be good enough for a spot.
    • Brown looked good with both a T and TFL
    • Paye with a sack and QBH
    • Banogu - not a good game. Whiffed big on a sack, and registered no sacks, TFLs, or QBHs.
  • DBs
    • Shawn Davis led the DBs in Ts, but let and INT get away from him.
    • Tell had 3 Ts and PD, but not sure that's enough
  • STs
    • Harris had two pretty good KRs
    • Vaughns not so hot in PRs
    • Blankenship 4/4 and 1/1
    • Dirty Sanchez with a nice 52.5 AVG

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I half watched the first half and didn’t watch the second lol.

I'd say 

Stock up

Rochell

Shawn Davis

Deon

LeMay

Strachan

Granson

Kaufusi

Eason

Bolton

Stock Even

Patmon

Dulin

Ehlinger (just didn't see enough)

Stock Down

Banogu

Holden

Tevi (if it could go any lower)

8 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I was happy to see him go 4 for 4 and continue to help his confidence, now he just needs to continue it. 

A avg would have been 69, and also an amazing average

I need to see a year of consistency from him before I hop on the train, but you gotta like his preseason.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

With wilkins being in his last year I could see trying to trade him to keep one of these young guys. 

I just don't see teams offering much if any. RB market is just so depressed. You have the top 5ish guys, then a huge drop off. 3rd and 4th string guys are plentiful

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

It's tough between Glasgow and Kaufusi and Adams. I say two of three make the 53. Leonard Okereke Franklin Speed then two more.

I think Adams is a lock.

And Kaufusi easily over Glasgow. Kaufusi has killed it.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I just don't see teams offering much if any. RB market is just so depressed. You have the top 5ish guys, then a huge drop off. 3rd and 4th string guys are plentiful

I think Adams is a lock.

And Kaufusi easily over Glasgow. Kaufusi has killed it.

I like Kaufuahi. He stuck out when playing against lesser talent and that is what you want to see.

-Paye is putting in a stellar preseason overall and is still pretty raw. Thats fantastic.

- Strachan played well (and played in around 3 quarters or so). Had multiple receptions. There was one drop in the endzone early on he had that I wished he was able to control, but it wasn't the greatest pass either.

- Patmon and Black played well too. I think our WR depth overall is excellent with a few players that can get even better.

-Turay and Banagou did well in the pass rushing compartment as well. I was confused by the announcers as I always assumed that Turay was the assumed starter across from Paye at DE this year.

-Tough play by Rock for the TD. He played well for the other times he was in the game from what I saw, but he has a knack of making random mistakes when he is playing man from what I can tell. Its not like he has awful overall games, but he just has horribly times bad moments.

- our backup oline is awful. I feel that most teams have horrible backup olines in general (switching out players alot, not a lot of cohesion) , but ours were especially bad today. I will say there was one run play early on where Tevi made a great swing block. He can't do much else though.

- Eason was on fire for a few plays. He definitely seems to have improved alot from his original scouting reports in terms of his vision/decisions. 

3 minutes ago, colts89 said:

-Paye is putting in a stellar preseason overall and is still pretty raw. Thats fantastic.

- Strachan played well (and played in around 3 quarters or so). Had multiple receptions. There was one drop in the endzone early on he had that I wished he was able to control, but it wasn't the greatest pass either.

- Patmon and Black played well too. I think our WR depth overall is excellent with a few players that can get even better.

-Turay and Banagou did well in the pass rushing compartment as well. I was confused by the announcers as I always assumed that Turay was the assumed starter across from Paye at DE this year.

-Tough play by Rock for the TD. He played well for the other times he was in the game from what I saw, but he has a knack of making random mistakes when he is playing man from what I can tell. Its not like he has awful overall games, but he just has horribly times bad moments.

- our backup oline is awful. I feel that most teams have horrible backup olines in general (switching out players alot, not a lot of cohesion) , but ours were especially bad today. I will say there was one run play early on where Tevi made a great swing block. He can't do much else though.

- Eason was on fire for a few plays. He definitely seems to have improved alot from his original scouting reports in terms of his vision/decisions. 

Lewis is the other starter. Turay will be a third down guy.

27 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I like Kaufuahi. He stuck out when playing against lesser talent and that is what you want to see.

For now, he's playing purely for a STs spot, and he's done everything he could do and more.

16 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Glasgow made big stops against better quality...

IDK. Seems the timing for their snaps were very similar. Even if Glasgow played "earlier", for instance, Kaufusi still had more than twice the stats of Glasgow. I like Glasgow (except for the scUM ties), but he didn't have anything close (last year) to the preseason that Kaufusi has had.

I have my DVR set for 4:30am, so I'll be doing Pikes Place and rewatch tomorrow AM. I'll try to pay attention to the timing of their snaps.

13 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

So if Sam goes to IR Hundley takes his spot at QB # 3?

Honestly if Sam is going to IR, I hope we just carry 2 QBs. We could use the roster spot for some of the other big bubble battles. 

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Lewis is the other starter. Turay will be a third down guy.

You should look at it more like a rotation, than simply starters. Or early/rushing vs late/passing.

Could be wrong but it's likely

Early/Rush downs

Lewis/Rochell - Stewart - Buckner - Paye/AQM

Late/Pass downs

Turay - Lewis/Rochell - Buckner - Paye

Or by snap counts, which I'd say the stack for snaps would likely be

1. Buckner

2A. Paye

2B. Lewis

4A. Stewart

4B. Turay

5. Rochell

6. AQM

Brown could make things interesting for 3T minutes. Banogu on late/pass downs. 

Nice to have an undefeated preseason.  First one in 27 years I believe.  Now...bring on the regular season!  Hopefully Carson will be good to go week one.  

I've been away from these boards for awhile.   I became a first time father in May and have been falling head over heels with my new baby girl devoting most of my time to her. Lol.   I will try to post more often now that the regular season is here.  Good to be back! Go Colts!  

23 minutes ago, colts89 said:

IIRC, they talked about him pre-game. About how he has the elite power/speed, but has been working hard on the technique stuff, like bending on the edge. Dude is a straight up freak of an athlete. Anyone could tell that watching his UM film. If he can pick up the details and finesse stuff, he's gonna be very good.

Great play by the DB. Can't fault Strachan. Overall he was extremely consistent and productive. Stock still climbing. Pretty incredible given his background.

I wouldn't snooze on Vaughns either. I just love Patmon. Hope he somehow makes it but I would hate to lose Dulin's STs contributions. They are bigger than folks think. And I really hope Black and Vaughns make it to the PS. Both remind me of Pascal, but perhaps with higher ceilings.

Turay and Banagou did well in the pass rushing compartment as well. I was confused by the announcers as I always assumed that Turay was the assumed starter across from Paye at DE this year.

IMO, Banogu had a poor game. Big step back from what was a great preseason for him thus far.

IMO, Rock is still an obvious 2 deep guy. Will things ever click for him, and he gets back to late 2019 form... I don't know. But he's cheap depth if not. I'm Ok with that, just hope he does better so we get more value of the 2nd round capital. 

Pretty pitiful lol. Really hope Q and Kelly are back for week 1.

Once he gets over the jitters, he seems to do really well. 

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Nice to have an undefeated preseason.  First one in 27 years I believe.  Now...bring on the regular season!  Hopefully Carson will be good to go week one.  

I've been away from these boards for awhile.   I became a first time father in May and have been falling head over heels with my new baby girl devoting most of my time to her. Lol.   I will try to post more often now that the regular season is here.  Good to be back! Go Colts!  

Congrats man!!!

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Hey!  Hey!!

NOW That’s BIG NEWS!   Congratulations!!   :thmup:

Couldn't be happier for you!    :heart:     :flowers:

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Really hope one of her first outfits had a horseshoe on it!!

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Congrats on the new baby.

Wentz went through all his typical warmups and it was said he looks great. Something weird would have to happen for him not to play week one.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Congrats on the new baby.

Wentz went through all his typical warmups and it was said he looks great. Something weird would have to happen for him not to play week one.

Well when it comes to something weird and Colts injuries they do go together like peanut butter and jelly…lol seriously let’s just hope for no set backs and some good news health wise over the next couple weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Oh...you know it! lol. I had her beside me dressed up in her Colts onesies for the first two preseason games.  :thmup:

You rock!

Congrats on the addition, and God bless.

Raising a youngster up to be a true Colts fan is a serious responsibility :thmup:

Archived