Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Vikes postgame thoughts....

EastStreet

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, life long said:

Happens seemingly every week. And thats only seen if its completed. Guys get missed all the time.

They are missed a lot more by guys that can't see over the o line

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Eason is 6’5 and Wentz,Luck, and coach Reich himself are all around 6’4 at least.  I don’t see Sam at 6’1 ,maybe ,getting the backup job with his limitations.  No way.

I agree

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Eason is 6’5 and Wentz,Luck, and coach Reich himself are all around 6’4 at least.  I don’t see Sam at 6’1 ,maybe ,getting the backup job with his limitations.  No way.

Brees was 6'0 and Russell Wilson is 5'11

Just now, jvan1973 said:

They are missed a lot more by guys that can't see over the o line

Or guys who don't feel the pocket and get sacked first. Or if they can't get through their reads fast enough. Plus the WR has to be able to actually create separation. My point is still that Peyton as many other QBs do have to overcome and adapt to their short comings. Brady himself speaks on this constantly,  he knows he has to play his game to win. There are many ways for a starting QB to be successful with height and arm strength not being as important as you guys make it out to be. Its a tale as old as time for the NFL.. 

Just now, life long said:

Or guys who don't feel the pocket and get sacked first. Or if they can't get through their reads fast enough. Plus the WR has to be able to actually create separation. My point is still that Peyton as many other QBs do have to overcome and adapt to their short comings. Brady himself speaks on this constantly,  he knows he has to play his game to win. There are many ways for a starting QB to be successful with height and arm strength not being as important as you guys make it out to be. Its a tale as old as time for the NFL.. 

How many 6'0 qbs with a weaker arm play in the nfl?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

How many 6'0 qbs with a weaker arm play in the nfl?

So you internet guys get to determine Sam has a weak arm? See how you are fixing the argument.  I can do this too. How many big armed tall guys have failed in the league as well? An indianapolis colt fan might have heard of a guy named Jeff George perhaps? JaMarcus Russell? But again Drew Brees fits that bill and will be a first ballot HOFer. Fran Tarkenton HOFer. And again how are you measuring arm strength by velocity or distance Sam is adequate in both. How about college numbers through the air. Sam checks that too. Just because you see something parroted on the interwebs doesn't make it fact.

1 minute ago, life long said:

So you internet guys get to determine Sam has a weak arm? See how you are fixing the argument.  I can do this too. How many big armed tall guys have failed in the league as well? An indianapolis colt fan might have heard of a guy named Jeff George perhaps? JaMarcus Russell? But again Drew Brees fits that bill and will be a first ballot HOFer. Fran Tarkenton HOFer. And again how are you measuring arm strength by velocity or distance Sam is adequate in both. How about college numbers through the air. Sam checks that too. Just because you see something parroted on the interwebs doesn't make it fact.

There is a difference between JG/JR and DB

Work Ethic

12 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Yeah, but they took extra steps behind the OL or rolled out or took more snaps out of shotgun to make up for it. Plus, they both had better arm strength than Ehlinger. 

7 minutes ago, life long said:

No.  I have watched him play.   He isn't as good as Eason.  And Eason hasn't been great.  You named 2 great 6 foot qbs.  Now let's do 6'3 and above

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Height has little to do with it see guys like Osweiler, and Paxton Lynch

That's a different thing,   they are tall enough to see the field,   they just couldn't read a defense.    If a qb is 6 ' and can read a defense but has to loft his down field throws,   that's an interception machine.   Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are outliers.    Sure they can be successful,   odds say otherwise 

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's a different thing,   they are tall enough to see the field,   they just couldn't read a defense.    If a qb is 6 ' and can read a defense but has to loft his down field throws,   that's an interception machine.   Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are outliers.    Sure they can be successful,   odds say otherwise 

I don’t disagree just saying that in today’s NFL and Power 5 programs height is not as big of a factor. Most coaches look at arm strength, accuracy and even foot speed and unlike the past shorter QBs aren’t being converted to other positions because they are to short

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

I don’t disagree just saying that in today’s NFL and Power 5 programs height is not as big of a factor most coaches look at arm strength, accuracy and even foot speed and unlike the past shorter QBs aren’t being converted to other positions because they are to short

Not many qbs drafted high under 6'4

Well, it looks pretty good that Wentz will be ready week 1. It also explains how Reich is treating the qb 2 battle. He must have felt pretty confident that he didn't need to look for a starter in week 1, just a backup. 

10 hours ago, Jimdcoltsfan said:

I just like how in the training camp threads people will be like "don't expect this guy to do anything, he's a rookie or a late round pick or low on the depth chart...then after a preseason game it's "he's trash..we are doomed..cut em now..lol...folks are crazy

I look at rooks and young players a bit differently. What they did in college does matter. And if they're changing schemes or being asked to things differently, I tend to be more patient. If they are making the same mistakes they made in college, or are not improving in areas of weakness, I'm more harsh.

Some guys transition quickly. Some guys just need time. Some guys just aren't a fit. Some guys just don't have what it takes. Just really hard to say year one... And we're only in pre-season... 

If you're post was partly in response to some of the chatter on Granson, I think some of the criticism is fair, but he does deserve time before folks totally abandon ship. He's had hands issues, and we've seen that continue. But he's also asked to play a different role too. In college he was converted from WR, and was used more deeper/vertically. Doubt we'll use him like that much. More like Burton last year.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

6 1 is being generous. He's closer to 6 foot which is still too small and he doesn't have Kyler's or Russ's arm talent to make it a non-factor

Combine measurements are normally accurate. No combine this year, but the PD, which his RAS uses, has him at 6011. So I'm going accept the 6-1 at face value. NFL.com is pretty honest too, and has him at 6-1

Now his Wiki and UT lists him at 6-3 lol.... 

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

There are always outliers.  Sam was drafted in the 6th rd.  I think these two were drafted higher which is another indicator of what GM’s thought of Sam’s potential.  Eason was drafted the same round as Dak I believe.  That’s a recent comparable.  So I would say his chance of having a nice career in the NFL is much more likely than Sam’s.  The league clearly sees Eason as the better prospect.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Of the 5 QBs drafted in the 2021 1st Round 2 were 6’4 or over

6-3 is considered prototypical by most. 

Of the 10 drafted QBs, 3 were under 6-3.

Wilson at 6-2, who obviously has other measurables to counter the height.

Sam at 6-1 in the 6th, and Ian Book at 6-0 in the 4th

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich said you could read into whoever starts Friday has won the backup job. But he said that isn’t absolute.

Reich simply wants to make Seattle prepare for both.

But short of an epic collapse on Friday, we all know who is trending.

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

6-3 is considered prototypical by most. 

Of the 10 drafted QBs, 3 were under 6-3.

Wilson at 6-2, who obviously has other measurables to counter the height.

Sam at 6-1 in the 6th, and Ian Book at 6-0 in the 4th

6'2

When you say Wilson , are you talking about Russel ? He's 5'11 , not 6'2".

Archived