Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Vikes postgame thoughts....

EastStreet

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You'd think that people who post a lot know a little more about NFL preseason than what comments have been suggesting.

Traditionally, the THIRD preseason game is the game that most simulates a real game.

That's where the starters play maybe into the 3rd quarter, to simulate any half time adjustments.

Frank has already said that Sam and Eason were going to alternate.  So when he says that Sam is going to start the second preseason game, that means Eason was penciled in to start the third game already, weeks a go, with the starters.

Its also the game where coaches have more game planning, and maybe execute half time adjustments to actually try to win.

I hope your right. I would love to see Taylor out there some. We do have two weeks before the season after Friday so I think it is important to get the starters some really good playing time.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, C_Lew said:

I personally think the back up QB battle is being handled correctly. These preseason games are just scrimmages. They’re a perfect opportunity to see who belongs where. After yesterday’s game, things still look murky. Ehlinger seems to be able to move the ball, but also seems to throw up too many “wth” balls. Eason has the ability to throw beautiful passes that amaze you, but then follows those up with 2-3 consecutive inaccurate throws. He never turned the ball over, but struggled mightily to move the ball down field consistently. After Ehlinger’s performance, Eason had a golden opportunity to run away with it and he just didn’t. Hopefully Wentz is able to play week 1. Otherwise, this battle will need to be concluded this week, and I’m not sure either one truly earns it by then. 

As far as the rest of the offense, I was pretty pleased. I thought the OL played a lot better. WRs and RBs looked good. Granson didn’t look great at all, but I do see the potential. He needs to commit to concentrating more on the ball when the pass comes his way. 

I thought the defense looked pretty good. Was happy to see Paye get that sack. Ben Banogu looked very good. I was very impressed with his motor throughout the game. I thought the linebackers looked really good. Secondary still seems a bit shaky, but played decent for the most part. 

And it shouldn't be murky.. 

This was a self imposed bit of confusion. Eason is the backup, he's not world busting at the moment, but by way of comparison, he's clearly ahead of Ehlinger and why the snaps were used the way they were yesterday causes me some pause to be real honest. Wentz isn't going to be in synch if he can go week one, and they didn't really use this time to be as sharp as possible making sure the back up is at least confident and in rhythm. 

If the staff was consistent in this approach, why not let Ehlinger finish the first half.

It's not the end of the world, but I'm looking for someone to give me the other side of the coin here, and I'm not really seeing a compelling argument. 

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Traditionally, the THIRD preseason game is the game that most simulates a real game.

That's where the starters play maybe into the 3rd quarter, to simulate any half time adjustments.

Frank has already said that Sam and Eason were going to alternate.  So when he says that Sam is going to start the second preseason game, that means Eason was penciled in to start the third game already, weeks a go, with the starters.

Its also the game where coaches have more game planning, and maybe execute half time adjustments to actually try to win.

There's only three games now. We know what used to happen...

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There are no backup QB that are going to be able to come in on two weeks notice and be better then these rookies. The offense has no continuity now throwing another one in there would be bad. Reich just  needs to give Eason all the first team reps and give him the starters Friday. Let them develop some chemistry. This splitting reps is killing the offense.

I thought Eason was going to light up the Vikings 3rd stringers?

Hopefully no starters will be playing this Friday.

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This was a self imposed bit of confusion. Eason is the backup, he's not world busting at the moment, but by way of comparison, he's clearly ahead of Ehlinger and why the snaps were used the way they were yesterday causes me some pause to be real honest. Wentz isn't going to be in synch is he can go week one, and they didn't really use this time to be as sharp as possible making sure the back up is at least confident and in rhythm. 

If the staff was consistent in this approach, why not let Ehlinger finish the first half.

It's not the end of the world, but I'm looking for someone to give me the other side of the coin here, and I'm not really seeing a compelling argument. 

There's only three games now. We know what used to happen...

There is also two weeks now between the last preseason game and Seattle. So if they play them Friday it would be the same as if they played the third game out of four in the past.

Imo they are trying to give Sam every opportunity to win a backup spot. Don't listen to what they say look at their actions. Giving Sam game 2 start when it was said a long time ago that game two was going to be starters playing first half says a lot. If I had to guess, if Sam has another game like today next week, they will move on with Eason. BUT they will be searching the wire for a vet backup. If they find one, Eason could become qb3. Sam to the PS.  If Sam shows out though next week he could become qb3 behind a signed vet. Trust me I'm rooting like hell for Eason but two years in and I don't see much progression. Don't give me the argument that he didn't have Taylor or any starters. It was backups against backups. He needed a big game yesterday. 

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This was a self imposed bit of confusion. Eason is the backup, he's not world busting at the moment, but by way of comparison, he's clearly ahead of Ehlinger and why the snaps were used the way they were yesterday causes me some pause to be real honest. Wentz isn't going to be in synch if he can go week one, and they didn't really use this time to be as sharp as possible making sure the back up is at least confident and in rhythm. 

If you’re assuming Eason is unquestionably #2, then I can see why it confuses you. 

They probably pulled Ehlinger because he threw two really bad INTs in 1 half. Unfortunately, Eason didn’t really do much once he was inserted, either. After both QBs looked good in game 1, they both looked pretty bad yesterday. 

Preseason games aren’t about building rhythm and confidence in your back up QB. It’s more about finding out who belongs on your roster and at what spot.  Right now, for anyone who hasn’t chosen either guy as their favorite, it’s unclear who should be the backup. 

Definitely not quite as many positives this week from the QBs. Ehlinger’s height is an issue, and we saw that rear it’s head some last night where last week not so much. 

Both are making the roster, however. Wentz is unvaccinated which means we’re perpetually on high alert to be starting a backup. They’ll never all 3 be active on game day, but they’re not going to leave us in a potential bind where Wentz gets a close contact or a positive test on a Saturday or Sunday morning and we’re using an out of position player at backup QB on game day. That’s just the simple math of it. Welcome to the brave new world. 

Someone better make sure Isiah Rogers knows about the fair catch rule. The wallop he took last night was clearly coming well before if got there and he just…. Let it happen. He held on to the ball, so kudos for that I guess, but once the season starts I don’t think he’s gonna be able to repeat that result quite as often, and he’s gonna start losing a lot more than just possession of the ball. 

Another week, another round of Chargers fans giggling at us for not only signing Tevi, but for keeping him and for playing him. I’m starting to have Linkenbach flashbacks here. Pls snd hlp. 
awkward smile GIF

17 minutes ago, C_Lew said:

Right now, for anyone who hasn’t chosen either guy as their favorite, it’s unclear who should be the backup. 

I think its pretty clear that it is Eason.  They are not bringing in someone two weeks before the season starts to be the #2

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Definitely not quite as many positives this week from the QBs. Ehlinger’s height is an issue, and we saw that rear it’s head some last night where last week not so much. 

Both are making the roster, however. Wentz is unvaccinated which means we’re perpetually on high alert to be starting a backup. They’ll never all 3 be active on game day, but they’re not going to leave us in a potential bind where Wentz gets a close contact or a positive test on a Saturday or Sunday morning and we’re using an out of position player at backup QB on game day. That’s just the simple math of it. Welcome to the brave new world. 

Someone better make sure Isiah Rogers knows about the fair catch rule. The wallop he took last night was clearly coming well before if got there and he just…. Let it happen. He held on to the ball, so kudos for that I guess, but once the season starts I don’t think he’s gonna be able to repeat that result quite as often, and he’s gonna start losing a lot more than just possession of the ball. 

Another week, another round of Chargers fans giggling at us for not only signing Tevi, but for keeping him and for playing him. I’m starting to have Linkenbach flashbacks here. Pls snd hlp. 
awkward smile GIF

I think the PS rules say you can call some up on a Saturday but not sure about if it happened on game day. You are right though about why they will keep all 3.

I thought 2 plays for Eason also helped his credibility for the #2 QB.

Obvious was the naked Bootleg.  Really good fake, and movement, let alone the pass itself was pretty darn good.

But I'm talking the mobility.  That was Ehlinger's edge over him in many eye's.

And not enough people are talking about his 2 yard QB sneak, (Where his helmet was ripped off).

He came out the other side of that with a 4.5-5 yard gain,...on a QB sneak.

Dude is big and strong, and can run those type of plays when needed, and it's good to see.

11 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

If Eason has to play having Taylor will be huge. Also getting Kelly back to help with protections will be big.

Reich needs to commit to Eason this week in practice and starting Friday.

Yep…. They need to put all the eggs in Eason’s basket going forward. I’ve found myself rooting for Sam but I think it’s time to start implementing Sam’s Tysom Hill type plays and getting Jacob ready to start week one. My opinion.

Also, the Defense gave up a total of 227 yards and only 3 points, the entire game.

To a pretty good Vikings offense.

(Both teams had certain starters not playing, (which offset's each other IMO)

I hope we get to see Turay next week, because Banogu looked like a menace the entire game, even against the starters.

38 minutes ago, C_Lew said:

If you’re assuming Eason is unquestionably #2, then I can see why it confuses you. 

They probably pulled Ehlinger because he threw two really bad INTs in 1 half. Unfortunately, Eason didn’t really do much once he was inserted, either. After both QBs looked good in game 1, they both looked pretty bad yesterday. 

Preseason games aren’t about building rhythm and confidence in your back up QB. It’s more about finding out who belongs on your roster and at what spot.  Right now, for anyone who hasn’t chosen either guy as their favorite, it’s unclear who should be the backup. 

When the week one starter is hurt, they're not in the market for a vet (thankfully, honestly) and one guy has two years in the system, a much bigger arm and has been better in practice aside from the very first week... Well, in so far as there's confusion going on here... it's not me that's confused! I think the staff made a little boo boo here. Again, I don't want to exaggerate this, but I just don't think it was the move. Ah well. 

Eason is more talented and would probably be better to groom long term, but I somewhat feel, with your 1st team offense, Ehlinger would give you a better shot to win week 1.  Without your starter, you want to run the ball, control the clock and play defense.  I feel, at this point, you will get more consistent offense with Ehlinger.  With Eason, you might get more big plays, but you also might see a cluster of 3 and outs where you look up and it's 24-7, Seahawks.

Perhaps this has been discussed, but, at first glance did we NOT throw the ball downfield? 

It seems as though all passes were of the 5 yard out, 5 yard cross, 5 yard slant, 5 yard curl variety.....?

Was this all about being vanilla on offense? If so it seems counterproductive in assessing the QB's as to who is the number 2 and 3 (or default 1 and 2)?

Or was that just me?

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Perhaps this has been discussed, but, at first glance did we NOT throw the ball downfield? 

It seems as though all passes were of the 5 yard out, 5 yard cross, 5 yard slant, 5 yard curl variety.....?

Was this all about being vanilla on offense? If so it seems counterproductive in assessing the QB's as to who is the number 2 and 3 (or default 1 and 2)?

Or was that just me?

Neither QB had time to let routes get downfield.

When under center the oline was beat before the web was finished his drop back, and in shotgun the web was catching the ball and the line was already beat

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Or was that just me?

Eason had a couple. One to Patmon and I think one other but that was it. 

Eason mentioned in his presser how this was a totally different defense then what they saw last week. It’s all a learning experience.

25 minutes ago, #12. said:

Eason is more talented and would probably be better to groom long term, but I somewhat feel, with your 1st team offense, Ehlinger would give you a better shot to win week 1.  Without your starter, you want to run the ball, control the clock and play defense.  I feel, at this point, you will get more consistent offense with Ehlinger.  With Eason, you might get more big plays, but you also might see a cluster of 3 and outs where you look up and it's 24-7, Seahawks.

I don’t think Eason has had the chance to actually have someone to run the ball with yet. Sam had mack and Hines a little last night. Give Eason Taylor for a entire game and I wonder if the result would be different when there is a actual game plan to run the ball. It is Sam who has thrown 3 INT not Eason also.

47 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think the PS rules say you can call some up on a Saturday but not sure about if it happened on game day. You are right though about why they will keep all 3.

They do have increased practice squad flexibility, but they’re going to keep all 3 in the same know of the offense. If worst case scenario came to pass and #3 ended up out there on game day they’re going to want him to have the same grasp of the offense as a starter. One of our upcoming opponents would snap someone with that knowledge up to pick his brain and try to gain any kind of advantage they could. Trying to stash either of them on the PS could wind up backfiring. 

52 minutes ago, #12. said:

I know what you're saying, but our defense is going to keep us in games no matter who the qb is imo. 

13 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Didn’t see the game, looking at the stats looks like it was a rough one to watch

Yep Eason was throwing baseball like fast balls all game. Sam was the opposite but the thing that unfortunate with him is how many times it was batted into turnovers. Eason throws it so hard that even defenders can’t pick it off lol.

There are no free agent qb's left out there, we brought in Hundley in case disaster struck and he hasnt seen much practice and no game reps. Bortles is a hot mess, Ryan Finley has no upside,Rosen's confidence is shot, Deshon Kizer ? Sloter ? There is no vet being signed period...

Patmon is sticking 100% and will see playing time...his playing more s.t. last night cemented him over Dulin who is not an NFL wr....Harris hopefully slips to practice squad as he gives us flex options.

Said it many times before cut Tevi...why waste the spot at this point, let the young tackles O'Donnel and Fries get the reps ? Start Davenport if Fisher is a no go week 1 or week 2 (Though he may be there opening day but reports coming out) and search waiver wire for anyone better then Holden.

Chachere again shows he should be on final roster, zero question about this.

Jefferson moving ahead in race for 5th linebacker spot with defensive play (Had a feeling all along this former high pick would have a light come on and it sure has) and he has always been a special teams ace. Question is do we keep 6 ? Most likely and if so Adams and Glasgow fighting for it but this could be where we trim to keep at other spots and put 1 or both on practice squad.

Lemay after looking so good last week hurt his chances this week, next week is huge for him.

AQM showed up and it was needed as he appeared to be close to slipping to bubble at DE. At backup DT there remains a spot to be claimed in next couple weeks..

One thing to note is our promising depth at many positions.  Thinking back 15-20 years ago during the preseason, it was UGLY after the starters left the game.  Most of the backups at the time couldn't make any other team's practice squad.  This team is fairly loaded right now, with the exception of LT and QB.  

Last night I was really impressed with nearly every player on defense.  Not really 1 guy who stands out in a bad way.  Dline depth is great.  LB's without Leonard did a good job for the most part (except when Minnesota plowed through them with a Fullback).  Secondary has great depth at every spot too.

13 hours ago, ar7 said:

My biggest takeaway at this point in the preason is the QB situation.

I'm not the biggest believer in Eason or Ehlinger. However, I really don't like the way the Colts have handled that situation and I don't think they have put them in the best position to succeed. I think you have to be committed to one of them as the backup to Wentz (and potentially start if Wentz can't go) at this point in the preseason. They are both very different QBs that, in order to succeed, are going to need different play calling/game plans. I'm not surprised the QBs took a step back in preseason game #2 given how this situation has been managed.

There is legit criticism to place on both but I think some could be mitigated if the Colts handled this differently. It feels like they are treating this like just another camp battle but I don't think you can treat the QB position the same as say the kicker or SAM positions. 

If they really don't know which one they will go with if Wentz can't play week 1, at this point I would hope they make a trade or sign someone else. 

On the positive side I am really excited about this defense. 

Well the only thing with this statement is the fact that you dont gameplan much if at all in the preseason. It isnt about making your team play well its about evaluation. In order to evaluate both guys you have to put them both in. Idk what makes you think the Colts EVER game plan in the preseason. 

And when you basically have 2 rookies "battling" it our for back up then you do approach it exactly as they have. Why would you change the way you evaluate a players ability just because of him being a QB? What would you like them to have changed in the PRESEASON??

do you want them to pick a backup QB before they evaluate him? Seems like a recipe for disaster. 

18 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Well the only thing with this statement is the fact that you dont gameplan much if at all in the preseason. It isnt about making your team play well its about evaluation. In order to evaluate both guys you have to put them both in. Idk what makes you think the Colts EVER game plan in the preseason. 

And when you basically have 2 rookies "battling" it our for back up then you do approach it exactly as they have. Why would you change the way you evaluate a players ability just because of him being a QB? What would you like them to have changed in the PRESEASON??

do you want them to pick a backup QB before they evaluate him? Seems like a recipe for disaster. 

I think it’s different with the Wentz injury. They should be getting someone ready to start week one in case he can’t go.  Now if they are positive Wentz will be ready then yes it’s ok handling it this way.  If they are unsure they need to be getting someone ready for week one.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think we might have auditioned Pinero as a trade piece. I noticed quite a few teams signed FA kickers last week.  He is very good.

Just saying Pinero makes me want to go to Taco Bell.

I’ll have a #5 Pinero combo meal, steak with cheese please 

Imo, Eason should have taken the majority of first team reps last week, but I can see why they did what they did with Ehlinger, as he did play well in week one and had great practices. But this is not a normal preseason with Wentz out. You are not just evaluating who your #2 will be. Your looking for a starter for possibly the first couple games. Though not ideal, imo, you have to take a bit of a risk and commit to someone a little sooner. I would definitely go with Eason at this point. If they still split time again this week, it's a sign Wentz is back week 1.

The wr/te did not help out either qb. Lots of drops (though technically they might not have counted as such) so far in pre-season. Venturi harps on a pass that was not thrown perfectly (really nit picking last night imo), but if you're an nfl caliber receiver, you should be able to catch imperfect passes as well, especially if you can get both hands on the ball (you to mp). Help out your rookie qb! 

Granson gets great separation, but I cringe everytime a ball comes his way. Sort of like I'm watching Ebron again. 

Holden and Levi should both not make this team (not as tackles anyway). They put Holden all over the line last night, so I think his versatility might save him. He did whiff again on two spin moves off both sides. Tevi really just looks lost. 

Except for two bad plays early in the first game, Davenport has been a rock at left tackle. I don't recall one missed block since then. 

Banogu was amazing. He rushes now like he has a purpose, even when he doesn't get to the qb. No more hesitation and looking lost.

Just a hunch but I think Blankenship is our kicker based on last night. I think they let Pinero kick most of them to build up his resume for a possible trade.

1 hour ago, life long said:

Still don't think you said that??

Your point being what exactly? All I said was Ehlinger made two throws against scrubs. Last I checked, Ehlinger has three picks to Eason's zero. If you wanna put that in perspective, that's three picks in one full game of football.

Reich has a media presser at 330.

Do we usually have a thread like this after each game in the regular season? I think it would be great if someone can make a thread like this after every game. A place to post player interviews after each game and just talk about the game. I can’t remember if someone has done this in the past.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I hope your right. I would love to see Taylor out there some. We do have two weeks before the season after Friday so I think it is important to get the starters some really good playing time.

You are going to be disappointed.  I would bet dollars to donuts that Taylor plays zero in the pre season.

Archived