Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McShay's 2022 First Top 50.....


Recommended Posts

 

I don't recall McShay ever doing a top-50 before, but he might have.    But most typically, he does a top-32.

 

Well, perhaps to start the new college season soon to kick-off,  he's out today with a top-50.     It's a Premium article, so I'm limited in how much can be shared.

 

But I think it's OK to list his top QB's, of which there are 6, all in the top-32.

 

Here we go....

 

1.     Spencer Rattler     Okla     6-1, 205

 

2.     Sam Howell           NC      6-1, 220

 

7.    Malik Willis           Liberty   6-1, 215

 

11.  Kedon Slovis          USC  6-2,  200

 

19.  Desmond Ridder    Cincy  6-4, 215

 

31.  Carson Strong      Nevada   6-4, 215

 

Notes:    The top 3 QB's are all 6-1.    Slovis is listed as 6-2 because that's the schools measurement.   But for what it's worth,  Slovis lists himself as 6-3, 215 on his Wiki page.   Willis started his college career at Auburn, then transferred.     None of these QB's would appear to be great prospects today.    Doesn't mean they won't be in 5-6 months.  In fact, I'd count on it.  I'm only talking how they are viewed right now.    Honestly, I'm surprised that Rattler and Howell are listed as the top-2 prospects of this class.    Wasn't expecting that.  All I'm saying is that none of them have the red hot early buzz of someone like an Andrew Luck.    But all appear to have good potential.    They just need to show it this year.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Superman changed the title to McShay's 2022 First Top 50.....

Be interesting to see if we have another qb shoot up the draft board. We've seen the last few years( zach wilson, joe burrow) or 1st year starter with an amazing year(kyler murray) not on the initial radar move into the top of the draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With my limited knowledge and time I've spent watching those(at least the ones I've watched - Rattler, Slovis, Howell, Ridder), I don't think this class is particularly close to last year's class. I'd take any of the top 4 QBs from last year ahead of the 4 I've watched here. Rattler has the chance to move up in my views, because he's the one that was showing intriguing arm talent to go along with good athleticism and movement skill, but yeah... not exceptionally intrigued so far.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the purposes of the Colts here are McShay's top ranked OTs:

 

21. Zion Johnson, OT/G, Boston College

48. Thayer Munford, OT, Ohio State

 

If McShay is right, this isn't a particularly good OT class either. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stitches said:

For the purposes of the Colts here are McShay's top ranked OTs:

 

21. Zion Johnson, OT/G, Boston College

48. Thayer Munford, OT, Ohio State

 

If McShay is right, this isn't a particularly good OT class either. 

Honestly, my initial sense is this isn’t a very good class overall.    Which may be why we were willing to include our 2022 1st round pick in the Wentz deal.   
 

Imagine a top 50 with only two highly ranked OTs?    Seems crazy.   Don’t see a top WB ir a great RB or WR.   
 

Either way, it’s something to keep an eye on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just cross-referenced it with PFF's OT's current ranking:

 

6. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

28. Darrian Kinnard, OT, Kentucky

40. Jordan McFadden, OT, Clemson

43. Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota 

 

So... they are adding 4 new names, but the highest ranked in their ranking is Evan Neal and the rest seem to not be no-brainer 1st rounders. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, my initial sense is this isn’t a very good class overall.    Which may be why we were willing to include our 2022 1st round pick in the Wentz deal.   
 

Imagine a top 50 with only two highly ranked OTs?    Seems crazy.   Don’t see a top WB ir a great RB or WR.   
 

Either way, it’s something to keep an eye on. 

It's possible McShay just hasn't watched all the prospects yet in order to rank them - for example PFF adds 4 different names to their top 50 ranking. But even the players they list, only 1 of them seem to be clearcut 1st round talent according to them(Evan Neal, Alabama)... so even they don't seem very high on the OT class. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's possible McShay just hasn't watched all the prospects yet in order to rank them - for example PFF adds 4 different names to their top 50 ranking. But even the players they list, only 1 of them seem to be clearcut 1st round talent according to them(Evan Neal, Alabama)... so even they don't seem very high on the OT class. 

 

Was Evan Neal not on McShays list?

 

If so,  then I think it's because he still has eligibility left after this season.    McShay's top-50 may only be true seniors and not people he's guessing might come out early.

 

That's the only way that would make any sense to me.

 

EDIT NOTE:    Neail is NOT on his top-50 list at all.    And it's not just seniors.   It includes top-underclassman as well.     That's got to be a brain cramp.    Neal is a top-10 kid falling out of bed.

Something does not add up.    I'm not a Bama fan, and I know who he is...   6-7, 360?!  Come on!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting NCF

 

Its tough to align needs and potential draftees at this point

 

If you look at some of the preseason lists like this it always changes greatly to reality when it comes to the following year

 

My W.A.G. at this point, is that we will need to keep filling the lines and in no order of need:

 

OT depth to develop

Interior DL depth to develop

TE depth to develop

CB depth to develop

 

And..... I hate adding, but if QBs dont work out this year (Im hoping they do)

We may go QB.....  (Of course CW would have to play less than 75% and we miss the playoffs) to get our 1.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, stitches said:

Just cross-referenced it with PFF's OT's current ranking:

 

6. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

28. Darrian Kinnard, OT, Kentucky

40. Jordan McFadden, OT, Clemson

43. Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota 

 

So... they are adding 4 new names, but the highest ranked in their ranking is Evan Neal and the rest seem to not be no-brainer 1st rounders. 

I would be happy with DK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, stitches said:

Just cross-referenced it with PFF's OT's current ranking:

 

6. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

28. Darrian Kinnard, OT, Kentucky

40. Jordan McFadden, OT, Clemson

43. Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota 

 

So... they are adding 4 new names, but the highest ranked in their ranking is Evan Neal and the rest seem to not be no-brainer 1st rounders. 

 

Evan Neal is massive, and very athletic for his size.  As long as he stays healthy and has as good a season as he did last year, he will probably be drafted in the top 5.

 

On 8/20/2021 at 5:26 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

Was Evan Neal not on McShays list?

 

If so,  then I think it's because he still has eligibility left after this season.    McShay's top-50 may only be true seniors and not people he's guessing might come out early.

 

That's the only way that would make any sense to me.

 

EDIT NOTE:    Neail is NOT on his top-50 list at all.    And it's not just seniors.   It includes top-underclassman as well.     That's got to be a brain cramp.    Neal is a top-10 kid falling out of bed.

Something does not add up.    I'm not a Bama fan, and I know who he is...   6-7, 360?!  Come on!

 

 

 

I agree with you it had to be a brain cramp.  No way McShay doesn't know about him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2021 at 6:40 PM, Cynjin said:

 

Evan Neal is massive, and very athletic for his size.  As long as he stays healthy and has as good a season as he did last year, he will probably be drafted in the top 5.

 

 

I agree with you it had to be a brain cramp.  No way McShay doesn't know about him.

No chance he doesn't. Barring a shockingly bad year, I can't see how he isn't the first tackle off the board. He he declares that is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2021 at 6:17 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

I don't recall McShay ever doing a top-50 before, but he might have.    But most typically, he does a top-32.

 

Well, perhaps to start the new college season soon to kick-off,  he's out today with a top-50.     It's a Premium article, so I'm limited in how much can be shared.

 

But I think it's OK to list his top QB's, of which there are 6, all in the top-32.

 

Here we go....

 

1.     Spencer Rattler     Okla     6-1, 205

 

2.     Sam Howell           NC      6-1, 220

 

7.    Malik Willis           Liberty   6-1, 215

 

11.  Kedon Slovis          USC  6-2,  200

 

19.  Desmond Ridder    Cincy  6-4, 215

 

31.  Carson Strong      Nevada   6-4, 215

 

Notes:    The top 3 QB's are all 6-1.    Slovis is listed as 6-2 because that's the schools measurement.   But for what it's worth,  Slovis lists himself as 6-3, 215 on his Wiki page.   Willis started his college career at Auburn, then transferred.     None of these QB's would appear to be great prospects today.    Doesn't mean they won't be in 5-6 months.  In fact, I'd count on it.  I'm only talking how they are viewed right now.    Honestly, I'm surprised that Rattler and Howell are listed as the top-2 prospects of this class.    Wasn't expecting that.  All I'm saying is that none of them have the red hot early buzz of someone like an Andrew Luck.    But all appear to have good potential.    They just need to show it this year.

 

Caught Howell against VA Tech and that performance left a lot to be desired. Quick release and arm looked decent but Tech completely had his number.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Caught Howell against VA Tech and that performance left a lot to be desired. Quick release and arm looked decent but Tech completely had his number.

Yeah….  Haven’t seen the Hilites, but the stories aren’t pretty….  This is a step back for Howell. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ColtV said:

Caught Howell against VA Tech and that performance left a lot to be desired. Quick release and arm looked decent but Tech completely had his number.

Yeah... I just watched Clemson vs Georgia. I had seen DJ Uiagalelei before but never watched him with too critical of an eye. Even last year he didn't look like a 1st rounder to me and he definitely didn't look like one in this game. He's a worse version of Eason from what I saw. Maybe a bit more mobile but worse as a pocket QB IMO. No pocket presence, no anticipation, hard time going through progressions... questionable accuracy. Yikes. Maybe it was just a bad day for him but if he's anything close to what he showed yesterday, I wouldn't want anything to do with him even though he physically he looks like a great prospect.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...