Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harris or Patmon

bleed blue4life

I think the decision is going to be who do they think they can keep on the PS, Patmon or Dulin.

I know they love Dulin for STs , and the ST coach pulls some weight on final cuts.  That #6 WR better be a ST ace.

I like Harris, but he's basically there to run the plays they had for Parris.  Let's hope he's not needed this season.

Like both they bring different things to the table, Harris can do what Campbell and a lesser extent Haines, while Patmon is a lesser version of Pittman and maybe Strachan. Dulin had value to S.T. but we have a lot of special teams talent now so appears odd man out and unlike other two if waived likely isnt claimed so onto p.s. unless we keep Black there

Pascal and Campbell (and Hines) out of the slot makes Harris redundant.....this year

TY and Pittman (and Strachan) on the outside makes Patmon redundant.....this year

Question is, which redundant WR offers the current team the most on the field?

I think Dulin is out regardless as he just hasn't offered anything offensively. Black and Vaughns and Harris all go to PS. Patmon stays on the 53 as another big target for our big armed (but not always accurate) QB's.....

Patmon, and frankly, I don’t think it’s close. 

Harris has done what exactly?

Patmon was kept on the 53 all season last year even though he wasn’t ready to play.  And while he has a reputation as more of a deep threat with a limited rout tree, he caught 5 passes vs Carolina.  One deep cross for about 20, and 4 possession type catches to move the chains.    I think the team thinks they have something even if he’s not ready to be a full contributor just yet.  Neither is Harris. 

I think Patmon has way more upside, or a higher ceiling than Harris. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Patmon, and frankly, I don’t think it’s close. 

Harris has done what exactly?

Patmon was kept on the 53 all season last year even though he wasn’t ready to play.  And while he has a reputation as more of a deep threat with a limited rout tree, he caught 5 passes vs Carolina.  One deep cross for about 20, and 4 possession type catches to move the chains.    I think the team thinks they have something even if he’s not ready to be a full contributor just yet.  Neither is Harris. 

I think Patmon has way more upside, or a higher ceiling than Harris. 

I was surprised they used Patmon in that game a lot like we used Pittman last season. Looks like he is developing a nice route tree.

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Dulin is a really good gunner and that's what you need at your 6th WR spot. Patmon can be stashed on the PS. I doubt anyone takes him.

I disagree , he’s been auditioning for other teams with his play during preseason and camp. I don’t think if he is stashed on the PS that he won’t be snatched up. After all they kept him on the 53 man roster last year for a reason.

9 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I disagree , he’s been auditioning for other teams with his play during preseason and camp. I don’t think if he is stashed on the PS that he won’t be snatched up. After all they kept him on the 53 man roster last year for a reason.

I agree. He had a solid first preseason game and if he keeps it up, there's no chance he makes it to the PS.

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

I agree. He had a solid first preseason game and if he keeps it up, there's no chance he makes it to the PS.

Speaking of that.  You should watch the latest YouTube video by MPJ.  Patmon is always in them and they rode together to the game.  Pittman loves to rag on him, like when they're in the hotel room.

One of the funniest parts was when they were leaving the stadium after the game and Pittman almost backed into Eason.  I'm not sure if he meant he almost hit is car or Jacob himself.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Speaking of that.  You should watch the latest YouTube video by MPJ.  Patmon is always in them and they rode together to the game.  Pittman loves to rag on him, like when they're in the hotel room.

One of the funniest parts was when they were leaving the stadium after the game and Pittman almost backed into Eason.  I'm not sure if he meant he almost hit is car or Jacob himself.

That video was funny. Seems those three are very close. Pittman calls Patmon his son. 

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I just watched that video yesterday. Honestly, their friendship is part of why I'm pulling for Patmon to make the team. At the end of the day, I want us to keep the best players and hopefully he's just one of them.

I saw that last part and wondered the same thing. I thought he almost hit Jacob, but I think he would have said something to him before leaving, so it could have just been Jacob's car.

19 minutes ago, Shive said:

I just watched that video yesterday. Honestly, their friendship is part of why I'm pulling for Patmon to make the team. At the end of the day, I want us to keep the best players and hopefully he's just one of them.

I saw that last part and wondered the same thing. I thought he almost hit Jacob, but I think he would have said something to him before leaving, so it could have just been Jacob's car.

That was so funny.  Also, yesterday someone point out that we should listen to the Granson interview that he did with Kevin Bowen on the Fan Morning Show.  Whoever suggested that (sorry, I can't remember) - thanks!  It was a great interview.

That young man is going to have a career in the media when he retires.  He's a natural.  

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder if Siranni would be interested in trading for Patmon and the Colts get LT Andre Dillard from the Eagles.  He apparently is on the block and I would think he is better than our current backups at LT.   He certainly has more upside.  

That would be worth looking into.

I would think GM's talk before waiving a player to see if any team is interested in trading something for 1st dibs if they do not hold a top waiver position.

Unless Patmon can show he is a special teams ace, i think we have too many other players that can do what Patmon can do to lose Dulin.

Patmon might be a trade piece to a WR needy team.

*Edit - I wrote this before realising that a few people said pretty much the same thing. Carry on.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder if Siranni would be interested in trading for Patmon and the Colts get LT Andre Dillard from the Eagles.  He apparently is on the block and I would think he is better than our current backups at LT.   He certainly has more upside.  

Dillard might not have that much value, but he's got far more value than Patmon. I wouldn't mind throwing them a Day 3 pick though.

The issue is that most teams have their own Patmons. And Patmon would have the same problem in PHI as he does here. They have maybe 1-2 spots open at WR for incumbents like Fulgham, Hightower and JJAW. And all of those guys actually caught NFL passes as well.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

There is no reason to believe Dillard is better than what we have.
And Sirianni knows why Patmon was kept on the roster last year.
I bet he will be interested in him.
 Give him Tell. I'm bettin' he is still a little lost out there still.

I see the 6th WR spot coming down to Patmon and Dulin.

I think some are underestimating how good Dulin is on ST as a BLOCKER and gunner.

That being said Patmon did open my eyes some against Carolina as I didn't expect much and came away pleasantly surprised.

All in all very good problem to have and my gut says Dulin for the reasons mentioned above. Gotta win all 3 phases.

I think we will end up letting both of them go. Im hoping Patmon can be kept but what i think will likely happen is he will get cut and make it to the PS or get picked up by a squad.  You can risk Patmon bc we have Tyler Vaughns who is similar in size and ability. If we lose Patmon we probably can turn to Vaughns. Maybe even Black and not lose much hopefully.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I think we will end up letting both of them go. Im hoping Patmon can be kept but what i think will likely happen is he will get cut and make it to the PS or get picked up by a squad.  You can risk Patmon bc we have Tyler Vaughns who is similar in size and ability. If we lose Patmon we probably can turn to Vaughns. Maybe even Black and not lose much hopefully.

Schitts Creek Coffee GIF by CBC

TY Hilton

Campbell

Pascal

Pittman

Strachan

Dulin

Cut Harris, Vaughns and Patmon

Patmon either ends up on PS or another Team

Harris, Black and Vaughns on PS for sure.

If Patmon leaves I think Vaughns is a pretty decent replacement for Patmon.

I need to watch Black more bc he might be able to challenge Dulin for that Special Teams spot and i think hed be a better WR than Dulin.

To the OP question, Harris or Patmon, depends on what Reich wants to do with the offense. And that will likely determine how the depth is selected. We have a ton of great upside this year. Scary good competition.... But still I think Dulin is in the driver seat for the 6th spot. I think Patmon could end up being traded. 

So far, I have this...

Locks

• TY - Z/motion. Might not be the top 3 WRs on the team in terms of talent this year, but will get the snaps/targets so long as he's healthy.
  • Pittman - big/speed X that can play outside or inside (big slot)
  • Campbell - Z/slot. Tagged as a slot, but likely the heir apparent at Z/motion WR. Our most dynamic in terms of speed and shake.
  • Pascal - Classic tweener. Could play any WR position but not really big enough to be a force at X, and not fast enough to be Z/motion guy or deep threat. Regardless, he's productive and does all the little things perfectly. He's transitioned from X to big-slot well.

Almost Lock

• Strachan - Big with speed, and has scary measurables. My-ball attitude guy that you want in the RZ, or really anywhere. Looks proficient inside and out. He was 3/5, and both those were chalked up to throw quality. He might have been able to lay out for one of them a bit better, but just can't fault him for it.

Fighting for the 6th spot (my rank in terms of skill)

1. Patmon - making a case for himself. I didn't like his body positioning on that drop (high throw) where the DB got him from behind. Still, a very productive day for him. I liked seeing both him and Strachan on the field together. If Reich wants to run a lot of two-bigs plus TE, then Patmon might be the choice. Big question for me, is can Patmon, or another big, play in the Z/motion spot opposite side of the X.
  2. Dulin - been injured during camp, but Colts' depth chart still lists him as a #2, which should mean something (not everything though). His special teams value is high, and he has a year in the offense. So right now, I'd give him the nod for the 6th spot, even though I think Patmon might be a better talent. Truth is, you can only carry so many "bigs" on 6 man WR unit. He's also got tweener size, but faster than Pascal. 
  3. Harris - size deficient guy that has electric speed. Brings gadget potential, but needs to make a name for himself at Z/motion if he wants a spot. He may be impacted however by Hines's contract year situation. If they run into a dead end with Hines, Harris might be a keeper. If Reich was more Reid-like, I I could see Harris being successful in the role Tyreek Hill played early in his career (speed slot). Reich hasn't been that guy though.
  4. Vaughns - all he did in college was produce... Never a #1 WR, but reliable and extremely productive. IMO, he'd make a nice replacement for Pascal if Pascal is not back next year.
  5. Black - He looked really good last week. Not like his college play.... He's a wild card to me, but you can't ignore the production (he led us in yards). He was hurt early in his career at UM before transferring to UT, and then failed to impress at UT with Ehlinger. Another productive game might move him up the depth chart. Same case with Vaughns.

Biggest question to me...  How many bigs are you going to keep. Are you going to only run with 2 speed/z/slot guys and 4 bigs. Perhaps Reich wants to go big and possession-like, especially early with Wentz out.

On 8/19/2021 at 12:31 PM, Archer said:

Dulin.  I can’t help but think of Patmon’s skill set as too similar (but inferior) to that of Pittman and Strachan.  Dulin brings something different…

Because Pittman has done what other than bring a 2nd round pick. Not enamored with his skill set

Archived