Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 16 (8/18)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

There can be some learning curve sure, but also it is an intangible that is difficult to quantify.  Most guys can't process the game at the NFL quarterback position well enough to be good at this level.  Pick a number but there are only 10-15 guys on planet earth that mosts people would say are "good" NFL QBs.  BUT, there are hundreds of guys with the arm talent.  Just look at the hardest throwers stuff you gave.  How many of those guys that have strong arms have most people even heard of?  

From the limited data I've seen, I'd be pretty surprised if Jacob Eason ever becomes a regular NFL starter.  But the main reason is an eye test.  He just doesn't seem to see it quickly enough.  Same thing I said about Jacoby.  Too slow.

Apparently coach Reich sees Eason’s progress differently.  In an interview yesterday he said when he watches our QB’s go through progressions he is doing it as well and in his head he say’s something like “out” meaning that is when the ball should be out or thrown.   He said Eason has done fine in his estimation and only fell short a few times in the preseason game.  So he seems to be making strides in that regard and should get better as he plays more.  I guess practice makes perfect as they say.  

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

I know Ourlads is very reputable, but keep in mind other sites including NFL Network broadcast, Miami Herald, etc...reported Eason at 62mph which would be tied for the highest all time with Josh Allen.

Regardless, Eason has a cannon and one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

I'm confused.  Does each outlet have their own radar gun and each clocked different speeds?  I would think that one radar gun result would be the official result and all news outlets would have reported it.

I think the official combine result excludes throws that may have been thought to have been anomalies, like somebody unnaturally heaving it a few times, or the ball slipping out of the hand.

12 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We knew that was coming. He goes from needing to go get a vet to starting Eason. Lol

Im REallly not surprised. I mean many in media thought Wentz was toast after his collapse in Philly.

The more we dont see Wentz and the more we see a QB that walks the walk, Talks the talk and 

has that rifle for an arm, it sort of makes sense that some in the media going this direction.  As if Wentz

didnt have enough to prove, he has to deal with this. Frank needs to get his #1 out there ASAP to

calm the waters. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Good point.   In Allen's first 2 years his number were:

56% completions

30TD and 21 INT

3.7 TD%

2.9 INT %

76.6 rating

Then in his third year:

69.2% completions

37TD and 10 INT

6.5 TD%

2.3 INT %

107.2 rating

Josh Allen's improvement in Year 3 is a major historical outlier. He can also run, and Eason can't.

At the same time, talking about Eason as if we know whether he would be as ineffective as Allen was in his first two years is just as premature as talking about whether he can improve like Allen did. We haven't seen anything from Eason yet.

Just now, Superman said:

Josh Allen's improvement in Year 3 is a major historical outlier. He can also run, and Eason can't.

At the same time, talking about Eason as if we know whether he would be as ineffective as Allen was in his first two years is just as premature as talking about whether he can improve like Allen did. We haven't seen anything from Eason yet.

I've seen enough. He's going to be good. Better than foles.If Wentz goes down again Eason will be ready

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Its just one game of preseason that followed two weeks of practice.

Funny how many thought that he didn't do that well in the game.

Then its noted he had the highest rating of any of the rookie or young starters.

Then follows it up with a nice day at practice where he throws maybe 10 passes.

And the many now think he's great.

Lemme know about half way through the season.  Oh wait, we probably wont even see him play this season the way Wentz is progressing.

Channel 9 Please GIF by The Block

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think a good assessment on Eason can be made either way.   I was more responding to the ones who are claiming he will never be good.  

4 minutes ago, Blindside said:

Im REallly not surprised. I mean many in media thought Wentz was toast after his collapse in Philly.

The more we dont see Wentz and the more we see a QB that walks the walk, Talks the talk and 

has that rifle for an arm, it sort of makes sense that some in the media going this direction.  As if Wentz

didnt have enough to prove, he has to deal with this. Frank needs to get his #1 out there ASAP to

calm the waters. 

Media loves to create controversy. Since the Eason sam comparison isn't looking as interesting in their eyes they have to do a Eason Wentz comparison. If Sam does good sat they will do a Sam Wentz comparison

Just now, Myles said:

I don't think a good assessment on Eason can be made either way.   I was more responding to the ones who are claiming he will never be good.  

Yea those saying that are assuming he will never improve and he has been putting in the work. He will probably be even better next year

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Agreed. Just wanted to add that virtually NO ONE improves like Allen did in Year 3, so don't count on that happening with any young QB. They all improve, obviously, but going from looking lost to looking like an All Pro that quickly isn't typical.

Just now, Superman said:

Agreed. Just wanted to add that virtually NO ONE improves like Allen did in Year 3, so don't count on that happening with any young QB. They all improve, obviously, but going from looking lost to looking like an All Pro that quickly isn't typical.

Allen had bad wrs his first two years as well. Adding diggs worked wonders

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not for me. Not up for debate. His work ethic and drive prove he will become great.

He looks real good with and against 2nds when they run a vanilla D.  That’s not up for debate.  

Beyond that, it’s conjecture.  But I hope you’re right. 

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Reporters are starting to question Reich not giving Eason as many starting reps as possible. 

I'm sick of reporters.

1) It sounds like they're optimistic Wentz will be back, in which case this isn't even an issue.

2) Eason had some good practices, and an encouraging half of preseason football. (Just encouraging; people are acting like he lit the world on fire, and he most certainly did not.)

3) Ehlinger has some traits Eason doesn't have, and might add some flavor to the offense.

This shouldn't even be a thing, to be honest. Eason hasn't earned anything in excess of a vigorous competition for the #2 spot. And I say this as someone who actually likes him, and is eager to see him play throughout preseason. The silver lining to Wentz being out is that we get to see way more of Eason, especially after he didn't get any live reps in 2020. But it's just too much noise and consternation over a camp battle. 

Truthfully, if Eason or Ehlinger is the starter for more than a couple weeks, our ceiling for the 2021 season goes way down, realistically speaking. Maybe one of these guys has some Tom Brady magic up their sleeve, and we find the next great QB on accident. But the odds are heavily slanted against that being the case.

Just now, Superman said:

I'm sick of reporters.

1) It sounds like they're optimistic Wentz will be back, in which case this isn't even an issue.

2) Eason had some good practices, and an encouraging half of preseason football. (Just encouraging; people are acting like he lit the world on fire, and he most certainly did not.)

3) Ehlinger has some traits Eason doesn't have, and might add some flavor to the offense.

This shouldn't even be a thing, to be honest. Eason hasn't earned anything in excess of a vigorous competition for the #2 spot. And I say this as someone who actually likes him, and is eager to see him play throughout preseason. The silver lining to Wentz being out is that we get to see way more of Eason, especially after he didn't get any live reps in 2020. But it's just too much noise and consternation over a camp battle. 

Truthfully, if Eason or Ehlinger is the starter for more than a couple weeks, our ceiling for the 2021 season goes way down, realistically speaking. Maybe one of these guys has some Tom Brady magic up their sleeve, and we find the next great QB on accident. But the odds are heavily slanted against that being the case.

It’s more that if Wentz doesn’t go whoever starts week 1 needs as many snaps with starters as possible. We do have two weeks from the last preseason game to the first game so it gives them a little time.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

I wouldn't say he was dancing, but he was definitely bouncing runs outside a lot. The announcers mentioned that as well. It's something he used to do a lot when he first got the NFL, so he might just need more time to get back to where he was.

Wilkins has always been a straight ahead runner where as Mack has always been a read the blocks/let the lineman create the gaps guy.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm sick of reporters.

So you announce that you’re sick of reporters.   Then numbers 1, 2, and 3 don’t  appear to have much issue with reporters.   It’s not until the last sentence where you talk about “noise and consternation” that I see a real complaint.   And I’m not sure how a situation as fluid as the Colts QB would be handled much differently?    

In short, what’s the problem with reporters again? 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So you announce that you’re sick of reporters.   Then numbers 1, 2, and 3 don’t  appear to have much issue with reporters.   It’s not until the last sentence where you talk about “noise and consternation” that I see a real complaint.   And I’m not sure how a situation as fluid as the Colts QB would be handled much differently?    

In short, what’s the problem with reporters again? 

Kind of two separate points. But to whatever extent reporters are fanning the flames, as the post I quoted mentioned, I'm tired of it also.

Talking about the Colts QB situation is a given. (It would be nice to have an offseason where that's not the major topic of conversation, but that's not really anyone's fault at this point.) Acting like it's a mistake to not start Eason on Saturday is an overreaction.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Kind of two separate points. But to whatever extent reporters are fanning the flames, as the post I quoted mentioned, I'm tired of it also.

Talking about the Colts QB situation is a given. (It would be nice to have an offseason where that's not the major topic of conversation, but that's not really anyone's fault at this point.) Acting like it's a mistake to not start Eason on Saturday is an overreaction.

Sorry….  I must have missed that offending story.   Who is saying it’s a mistake not to start Eason?   Your mention is the first I’ve seen.   I don’t know who is saying that?  

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Several people are

I don’t think it is actually a mistake but if Wentz can’t go whoever starts needs as many games reps with the starters as possible.  But usually you only have a week between the last preseason game and game 1. We have two weeks this time so maybe not as important. Today Reich said they are starting to prepare for week 1.

Archived