Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 16 (8/18)

Wentzszn

44 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That's a reasonable take about Strachan. I get the hype about him, given the tools he has. But of course he flashes and can high-point a ball. He is 6'5" with an 85" wingspan and there is plenty of tape of him doing exactly that in college. If he couldn't do that, he wouldn't have gotten drafted.

At the game on Sunday, he had two catches on 4 targets for 25 yards with two drops (or at least balls he should have caught) heading into that 2-minute drill. And then he made that nice catch on 32-yarder to start the 2:00 drill. 

It seemed like more of what you are talking about, though I did actually get to see him run routes. I assume you see the same thing at practice (if you are there). 

Yeah, i have seen that in practice.

TBF, he has had a lot less drops lately in practice, and get's separation better.

He has also started using his size to box out defenders better this past week as well.

He is taking to coaching, not only from his coaches and Fellow WR's, but from the defenders as well. Rhodes has had him under his wing, teaching him what to do, and how to win against CB's.

Rhodes has two people he's been teaching, Strachan, and Rock. (who has also looked better this past week)

• Like 2

I don't quite get the love over Eason or Ehlinger yet. They've both played in 1 preseason game. I'm no where near ready to give one or the other the edge over each other much less Wentz as the starter. Practice and preseason are not the same as games that count. Let's wait to see how well they progress and if they get any meaningful playing time at all before anointing either of them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree, but it'd be better for the Colts if he stays.   Actually, since he is a free agent after this season, it may be good if he runs behind the Colts line this season before hitting the market.  

I think with Mack coming off injury it’s a good idea to keep wilkins.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coltsfan98 said:

I don't quite get the love over Eason or Ehlinger yet. They've both played in 1 preseason game. I'm no where near ready to give one or the other the edge over each other much less Wentz as the starter. Practice and preseason are not the same as games that count. Let's wait to see how well they progress and if they get any meaningful playing time at all before anointing either of them.

It's pretty simple - Eason has an NFL arm, Ehlinger doesn't.  Neither have faced a real NFL defense, so at this point all you can evaluate is their mechanics and how they react to the situations their in.

Eason has shown he can make all the throws.  We haven't seen that from Sam.  No doubt Sam is more mobile though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't see that.    20 million dead cap next year.   Zero dead cap in the following years

There is zero dead cap if we trade him next year. All guaranteed money would be owed by new team.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

There is zero dead cap if we trade him next year. All guaranteed money would be owed by new team.

If we are trading him it means he was abysmal.    Who is going to trade for him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Well, I must have been watching something else, because I saw him not running straight ahead, whereas Wilkins was running straight ahead on most plays.  I could be wrong though.

I wouldn't say he was dancing, but he was definitely bouncing runs outside a lot. The announcers mentioned that as well. It's something he used to do a lot when he first got the NFL, so he might just need more time to get back to where he was.

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That was his first game in two years and his first NFL game.  His awareness of NFL speed can't improve?  And I remember Luck never checking down and looking down field a lot.  This stuff can be learned in time.  He may always have some issues here, but experience can learn to limit those setbacks.

There can be some learning curve sure, but also it is an intangible that is difficult to quantify.  Most guys can't process the game at the NFL quarterback position well enough to be good at this level.  Pick a number but there are only 10-15 guys on planet earth that mosts people would say are "good" NFL QBs.  BUT, there are hundreds of guys with the arm talent.  Just look at the hardest throwers stuff you gave.  How many of those guys that have strong arms have most people even heard of?  

From the limited data I've seen, I'd be pretty surprised if Jacob Eason ever becomes a regular NFL starter.  But the main reason is an eye test.  He just doesn't seem to see it quickly enough.  Same thing I said about Jacoby.  Too slow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

He seemed really good out there Colts are loaded at RB.

And WR.....  former problems now a strength;  QB could be one if CW comes back strong, Eason continues and we hide Sam on the PS....

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

If we are trading him it means he was abysmal.    Who is going to trade for him?

Despite what you think Im sure someone would give up a 4th or 5th round pick.

$27m isnt a lot for a QB these days. Someone would take him for late round pick and try to restructure his last 3 years.

All this is hypothetical, but just showing that we arent as tied to him as much as it may seem. 

• Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good point.   In Allen's first 2 years his number were:

56% completions

30TD and 21 INT

3.7 TD%

2.9 INT %

76.6 rating

Then in his third year:

69.2% completions

37TD and 10 INT

6.5 TD%

2.3 INT %

107.2 rating

So you’re implying that QB’s improve with time at this level?  Mind blowing.  I wonder if that has anything to do with being able to understand defenses better, make quicker reads, and get more comfortable in their offense with each and every repetition?  Probably good that some of our fans weren’t calling the shots in Buffalo....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Honestly I see this Eason hype like the Strachan hype, Strachan is making plays everyday in training camp and is fighting for a 4th or 5th string position. While Eason is looking like he won the backup position, I don't think he is threatening the starter like some seem to think.

I think it's a very small minority of people who may think that. I've personally only seen one or two people imply it and one was clearly in jest. 

I think this is going to be how things play out. Eason has basically won the job. If Sam plays well Saturday then Eason will get time with the starters in the third game. If Sam plays bad Eason and starters will play very little the last game.

4 minutes ago, Breeze said:

So you’re implying that QB’s improve with time at this level?  Mind blowing.  I wonder if that has anything to do with being able to understand defenses better, make quicker reads, and get more comfortable in their offense with each and every repetition?  Probably good that some of our fans weren’t calling the shots in Buffalo....

Family Guy Pain GIF

36 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think with Mack coming off injury it’s a good idea to keep wilkins.

I thought Jackson had a few nice runs. Id like to see him carry a bit more. Hes a grinder and hes faster than Wilkins. We will probablt keep Wilkins again but im hoping for stiffer competition from the other backs.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That's even worse! 

Because the Colts roll over so much cap and hypothetically would be moving to a starter on a rookie contract, it wouldn't be impossible, even if it'd make some cringe. Just my take. 

TY is making 10 for one season as an example of what 20 really is when the team is up against the cap- they're not yet.

Sorry, I don’t understand your answer.  Not trying to be argumentative, I literally don’t understand your point.    

We’re now about 27th in money left.   That will go to in season moves.   This is why we haven’t extended Nelson yet when most of the top players in the 2018 class are getting extended.    Nelson had to wait to next year.   

We’re going to be up against the cap for a couple of years.   It’s our turn to pay up. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nickster said:

There can be some learning curve sure, but also it is an intangible that is difficult to quantify.  Most guys can't process the game at the NFL quarterback position well enough to be good at this level.  Pick a number but there are only 10-15 guys on planet earth that mosts people would say are "good" NFL QBs.  BUT, there are hundreds of guys with the arm talent.  Just look at the hardest throwers stuff you gave.  How many of those guys that have strong arms have most people even heard of?  

From the limited data I've seen, I'd be pretty surprised if Jacob Eason ever becomes a regular NFL starter.  But the main reason is an eye test.  He just doesn't seem to see it quickly enough.  Same thing I said about Jacoby.  Too slow.

Its just one game of preseason that followed two weeks of practice.

Funny how many thought that he didn't do that well in the game.

Then its noted he had the highest rating of any of the rookie or young starters.

Then follows it up with a nice day at practice where he throws maybe 10 passes.

And the many now think he's great.

Lemme know about half way through the season.  Oh wait, we probably wont even see him play this season the way Wentz is progressing.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Its just one game of preseason that followed two weeks of practice.

Funny how many thought that he didn't do that well in the game.

Then its noted he had the highest rating of any of the rookie or young starters.

Then follows it up with a nice day at practice where he throws maybe 10 passes.

And the many now think he's great.

Lemme know about half way through the season.  Oh wait, we probably wont even see him play this season the way Wentz is progressing.

He actually had the highest rating out of every QB that played. Not just the young guys.

21 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I was just agreeing with someone who challenged Nickster's certainty on Eason:

"He's too slow reading.  Just like Jacoby.  He will never be a good starter in this league"

• Like 2

Eason mentioned how he sat down the other day to watch Rivers because he got the ball out so quick. This kid knows where he needs to improve. He is very self aware

Reich  mentioned the other day how he watched Easons and Sams pressers. I thought that was cool to get a sense on how they handle media but how self aware they are.

28 minutes ago, w87r said:

Despite what you think Im sure someone would give up a 4th or 5th round pick.

$27m isnt a lot for a QB these days. Someone would take him for late round pick and try to restructure his last 3 years.

All this is hypothetical, but just showing that we arent as tied to him as much as it may seem. 

Right now Wentz has $15M guaranteed. Another $12M guarantees at the start of the league year. March 19 or something like that. If we cut him prior we save 12M on the cap. Just sayin'. 
I hope he balls out of course. If he does we could see an AFC championship game. 

I think someone said this already, and I have to agree.

We kept hearing about how good our pass rushers looked in camp.  I think when we saw how our OT's played, we know why.

Can't wait to see how Kwitty does against NFL OTs.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I have to smh at some of the comments on here regarding Eason and Sam.  There are some people who are so myopic that it is actually distasteful.  As of now, Eason is the clear cut choice as the back up QB.  The "doubters" fail to reason that Eason actually was on the team last year, practiced with other players, was mentored by a future HOF'er, was in the QB meetings, and learned on the sidelines.  At this point, he is clearly ahead of Sam, and I root for Sam...but I am realistic, not myopic...

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, I don’t understand your answer.  Not trying to be argumentative, I literally don’t understand your point.    

We’re now about 27th in money left.   That will go to in season moves.   This is why we haven’t extended Nelson yet when most of the top players in the 2018 class are getting extended.    Nelson had to wait to next year.   

We’re going to be up against the cap for a couple of years.   It’s our turn to pay up. 

They're going to be a middle of the pack team in terms of owed money if Wentz were to be moved and TY got a few years guaranteed from someone else. He's getting 10 million this season for example.. 

My point is purely hypothetical, but to make sure this doesn't go to far down a wormhole, the real point, the one I'm motivated to make clear- if the Colts want to move on from Wentz after a year, it can be done. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Eason threw 59mph.  Only a few have topped that since 2008, with Josh Allen blowing away the field at 62mph.

https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-NFL-Combine-2008-2017/10243/dh/

I know Ourlads is very reputable, but keep in mind other sites including NFL Network broadcast, Miami Herald, etc...reported Eason at 62mph which would be tied for the highest all time with Josh Allen.

Regardless, Eason has a cannon and one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We knew that was coming. He goes from needing to go get a vet to starting Eason. Lol

There's a very good reason why Gregg Doyel is the least liked,  least respected member of the media.

There's always one jerk to spoil things for everyone else.            :facepalm:

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We knew that was coming. He goes from needing to go get a vet to starting Eason. Lol

For cap reasons but you don't start him over Wentz unless Wentz is hurt or he is playing better than Wentz be a landslide