Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 16 (8/18)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

Seems fair to me. I'd like to see what both ehlinger and Eason can do with the starters.

Eason hasn't seen game action with the starters. We sat most starters last week and this week he'll be playing the 3rd quarter with more backups. Unless he plays the 3rd preseason game with the starters, we won't have seen him in live gameplay with the starting offense.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Honestly I see this Eason hype like the Strachan hype, Strachan is making plays everyday in training camp and is fighting for a 4th or 5th string position. While Eason is looking like he won the backup position, I don't think he is threatening the starter like some seem to think.

That's exactly right. Strachan has elite size and has made some plays in practice (and caught a good pass in the preseason game).

Now Strachan is apparently getting some first-team reps in practice too.

I don't see any posts about him competing to take Pitt's job, considering how they are both tall X WR types. And that would actually be a more reasonable take than Eason taking Wentz's job.

At the end of day, it's just hype.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree here.  To me they have decided on Eason as the backup.  They will give Sam a chance to show and give Hundley some work too.  But for me it certainly looks like Eason has won the backup job.  

They could also be trying to make sure Eason doesn’t play much and get hurt in case Wentz can’t go.

C'mon, folks.  You gotta give everybody reps.  This isn't just about sorting out who's the starter and who's the backup.

Scenario:  Wentz is unable to start game 1 vs Seahawks.  Eason starts the game, and gets injured in the second quarter.  Ehlinger is forced to play, however, we decided early in camp that he wasn't going to be the backup, so we didn't give him any reps.  And he has to play.  Crippled by no reps.

You gotta give everybody reps, so everybody is prepared to play.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Okay, so you think the coaches are giving Ehlinger more chances even though you're sure Ehlinger is worse. And you think that's happening because the coaches dont want to upset Carson Wentz. Does that summarize your point accurately?

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

C'mon, folks.  You gotta give everybody reps.  This isn't just about sorting out who's the starter and who's the backup.

Scenario:  Wentz is unable to start game 1 vs Seahawks.  Eason starts the game, and gets injured in the second quarter.  Ehlinger is forced to play, however, we decided early in camp that he wasn't going to be the backup, so we didn't give him any reps.  And he has to play.  Crippled by no reps.

You gotta give everybody reps, so everybody is prepared to play.

^This.  I would probably take it a step further and say they would utilize both QBs. Sam being a little more situational. Similar to what we did with Jacoby.  

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Keep in mind that this was against our OTs that looked atrocious on Sunday.

True, but it's better than the alternative - not getting sacks against our attrocious OTs. For example, last week in joint practices we heard tons about our DL dominating Panthers OL... in the game I didn't see it that way. Panthers had much better protection than us IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Blindside said:

^This.  I would probably take it a step further and say they would utilize both QBs. Sam being a little more situational. Similar to what we did with Jacoby.  

JB had already won the backup job though, both in 2019 and 2020. There was never any competition for QB2.

I think this is definitely more of an open competition than the past. However, it makes perfect sense to get everybody reps because they are unproven and uninitiated into NFL games yet.

40 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Honestly I see this Eason hype like the Strachan hype, Strachan is making plays everyday in training camp and is fighting for a 4th or 5th string position. While Eason is looking like he won the backup position, I don't think he is threatening the starter like some seem to think.

That's reasonable... although... Strachan might have something to say about it :D He was getting reps with the 1s yesterday. Not sure about today. 

I like them giving Elinger more reps than Eason today.  

Eason lit it up yesterday in practice by himself.

They gave Elinger the same chance today(just did not look very good).

And Eason still looked fire, with only 9 reps today.

Remember preseason is about getting a look at a player while under duress.

You don't find out how good a player really is if you just surround him with your best players.

Eason will have a shot this Sunday to elevate himself playing with the 3's.

Elinger will have his shot to see his full potential playing with the 1's, since he played with the 3's last Sunday.

Remember, it's not all about stats in preseason.  Those are team numbers. It's takes multiple people to make a completion. 

It's how to handle yourself in the situation you are put in.

1 minute ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I like them giving Elinger more reps than Eason today.  

Eason lit it up yesterday in practice by himself.

They gave Elinger the same chance today(just did not look very good).

And Eason still looked fire, with only 9 reps today.

Remember preseason is about getting a look at a player while under duress.

You don't find out how good a player really is if you just surround him with your best players.

Eason will have a shot this Sunday to elevate himself playing with the 3's.

Elinger will have his shot to see his full potential playing with the 1's, since he played with the 3's last Sunday.

Remember, it's not all about stats in preseason.  Those are team numbers. It's takes multiple people to make a completion. 

It's how to handle yourself in the situation you are put in.

Jack Black Reaction GIF

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

True, but it's better than the alternative - not getting sacks against our attrocious OTs. For example, last week we heard tons about our DL dominating Panthers OL... in the game I didn't see it that way. Panthers had much better protection than us IMO. 

Yeah...and that was them facing Grier for a half. The defense overall did not play well, so hopefully that was just preseason and not indicative of anything, since most of the starters were out.

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Could you imagine if we still had the great Chad Kelly . The great Chad Kelly vs the great Jacob Eason would be epic!!!!

Haha. With Kelly having his suspension and off-field issues, my money would be on Kelly if we are talking about preseason. Chad Kelly balled out in the 2019 preseason. 

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Relaxing Deep Breath GIF by Talk Stoop
Friendly reminder from TigerTown   

This is Preseason

Lol!  And neither QB has seen a real NFL defense yet.  They’ve gone against backups playing as about a vanilla scheme as you can get.  Still, you have to like traits from both. 

Personally, I don’t think Sam has an NFL arm.  But he could be a perfect backup if you have a franchise QB.  A smart guy who really knows the game, but maybe doesn’t have all the tools to be a starter.  

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Lol!  And neither QB has seen a real NFL defense yet.  They’ve gone against backups playing as about a vanilla scheme as you can get.  Still, you have to like traits from both. 

Personally, I don’t think Sam has an NFL arm.  But he could be a perfect backup if you have a franchise QB.  A smart guy who really knows the game, but maybe doesn’t have all the tools to be a starter.  

Kind of like FR during his playing days

I like that Jordan Wilkins played well today.

It's a shame he is buried so deep on this RB Stable.

I think he'd get a lot more reps on another team.

Apparently Eason didn't just have a great 60 yarders to our 5th string TE today, but also had a great deep pass dropped by Strachan.

Strachan has tools, and flashes a lot.  But also has a lot of drops. But he's young, so he just needs time (I hope)

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Davenport

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Davenport lol.

Don't mistake this sentiment of mine for any sort of optimism about the LT position before Fisher's return, but I've been on the Davenport bandwagon as the best of the rest of horrible options. I guess he will get his chance to get whooped by whoever lines up against him this week... hopefully he gets whooped a bit less than Tevi and Holden. :dunno:

49 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

1. Whoever got the start last week was going to be throwing to backups. That's the nature of preseason. Teams usually do not play their starters in the first preseason game. It's used to evaluate the back end of the 90 man roster since cuts have to be made. 

2. Ehlinger got to play the entire second half last week because Hundly was recently added to the roster and may not have been ready for game action while learning a new offense. Hundley will play this week.

3. Whoever starts games 2 and 3 will get to play with starters. Again, that's the nature of preseason. I don't think it's weird or a conspiracy against Eason.

With the current OL #4= Viking punching bag.

Protect 9 we may need him. 

3 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I like that Jordan Wilkins played well today.

It's a shame he is buried so deep on this RB Stable.

I think he'd get a lot more reps on another team.

Apparently Eason didn't just have a great 60 yarders to our 5th string TE today, but also had a great deep pass dropped by Strachan.

Strachan has tools, and flashes a lot.  But also has a lot of drops. But he's young, so he just needs time (I hope)

Anybody else felt that Wilkins looked better than Mack in the game? Mack seemed to be missing that suddenness he used to have. I hope with him getting more and more time removed from his injury he gets better and sprier. 

12 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Had to be the first one to make this thread huh! Right at 12 huh..

Well, it may be true that she likes to have her name on the thread, and so starts it before anyone else. However, she deserves that right because she spends a # of a lot of time and effort to fill each thread, each time she starts it. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Eason has probably won the job so starting Sam will just rule him out. But if he plays well then you have a problem.  

Having 2 players both play well is never a problem. However, it can be drama fodder. 

I have also wondered if not praising also has yo so with Carson. Want to make sure Carson doesn’t start thinking his job is in jeopardy.

Sorry, but if the Colts operated on such a emotion and drama based level, they would not be the ascending team that they are. 

Carson getting antsy because he sees Eason getting better lol.

Ummm...........no. 

52 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Well, they obviously have more trust in Eason's abilities now and know what they can expect from him hence the less amount of playtime and the backups.

They're giving Sam a chance to prove his worth while they are confident in Eason's abilties.

It's not all doom and gloom, unfairness and media bias....

Winner winner.....chicken dinner!

Just now, stitches said:

Anybody else felt that Wilkins looked better than Mack in the game? Mack seemed to be missing that suddenness he used to have. I hope with him getting more and more time removed from his injury he gets better and sprier. 

Nah, Mack has looked absolutely great in practice. Better than I remember him in 2019.

I think Mack's issue Sunday was he is used to following blocks, and directing traffic, and the run blocking early in the game Sunday was not very good. He was met in the backfield a lot.

Wilkins is more like Taylor, who looks for  crease, and hit's it now.

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

Nope. Mack was fine to me. Didnt get many carries. Nice run off leftside but called back. I thought Wilkins had the kind of runs he always has and came up short in the places he always does

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

They were saying Mack was dancing around, which I agree.  He wasn't hitting the hole running.  Probably just needs to shake off some rust.

Archived