Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 16 (8/18)

Wentzszn

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well they didn’t give Eason more reps before the Carolina game. Probably because they learned aloe about Eason yesterday and just wanted to see what Sam had today.

Lol

This is exactly what I’m sensing. He would be doing more if they’d let him, but they have him on a strict schedule working backwards from week 1.

I’m fine if Eason (or Ehlinger) plays that week one game though, it’s unknown if Wentz makes us anymore competitive :dunno:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well they didn’t give Eason more reps before the Carolina game. Probably because they learned aloe about Eason yesterday and just wanted to see what Sam had today.

Lol

More likely because Eason didn't miss a day of practice like Sam did.

• Like 1

Just now, Wentzszn said:

This does not seem fair.

I agree. However, they have to see what Ehlinger can do Vs the ones while Wentz is still out and there's one less preseason game. Eason is squarely in the drivers seat. It's okay Chloester! :) :thmup:

• Like 1

Honestly I see this Eason hype like the Strachan hype, Strachan is making plays everyday in training camp and is fighting for a 4th or 5th string position. While Eason is looking like he won the backup position, I don't think he is threatening the starter like some seem to think.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah but it's preseason, stats don't really mean much. You'll see top 10 guys with bad stats and guys that won't make an NFL roster have great stats. 

Enjoy going on about stats. 
  It is about the eye test. Eason was making quick choices, firing the ball all over, very well, and very accurately. THAT is what the coaches must be excited about.
 And about the numerous receivers making NFL type catches. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

Honestly I see this Eason hype like the Strachan hype, Strachan is making plays everyday in training camp and is fighting for a 4th or 5th string position. While Eason is looking like he won the backup position, I don't think he is threatening the starter like some seem to think.

Wentz has a rocket for an arm too, according to Hilton and Pittman.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Strachan is making it even more regrettable TY didn't go to the Ravens.

• Haha 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

I agree. But I think the fans that have this point of view are looking forward and speculating the following scenario:

1. Wentz is not well enough to play a game (or a few games) to start the season.

2. In his absence, Eason plays and he plays really well, (as we've seen so far albeit in the preseason against backups).

3. Wentz gets healthy and is ready to play. By this time, the fan base is alright with Eason as the starter and view Wentz's return as a disruption to something that was clearly working.

4. If Wentz returns and starts but has a bad game or a few bad games, a QB controversy could ensue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Enjoy going on about stats. 
  It is about the eye test. Eason was making quick choices, firing the ball all over, very well, and very accurately. THAT is what the coaches must be excited about.
 And about the numerous receivers making NFL type catches. 

I don't understand the "going on about stats" remark, this was literally the first post about stats and that is because someone said he had great stats.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This does not seem fair.

The question is whether we trust the coaches. This whole Eason v Ehlinger thing is exasperating. Fair, not fair, media bias, etc. It doesn't matter. 

Do you trust Frank Reich and his staff? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This does seem weird.

I guess it seems weird if you have questions on whether Wentz  is starting Week 1. To me this sounds like Wentz is probably a go week 1 and this is nothing more than friendly battle for #2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

The question is whether we trust the coaches. This whole Eason v Ehlinger thing is exasperating. Fair, not fair, media bias, etc. It doesn't matter. 

Do you trust Frank Reich and his staff? 

I trust that the staff will play it safe for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blindside said:

I guess it seems weird if you have questions on whether Wentz  is starting Week 1. To me this sounds like Wentz is probably a go week 1 and this is nothing more than friendly battle for #2

That could be. That is probably the most logical answer. Because Eason earned the start.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This does seem weird.

Well, they obviously have more trust in Eason's abilities now and know what they can expect from him hence the less amount of playtime and the backups.

They're giving Sam a chance to prove his worth while they are confident in Eason's abilties.

It's not all doom and gloom, unfairness and media bias....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This does seem weird.

1. Whoever got the start last week was going to be throwing to backups. That's the nature of preseason. Teams usually do not play their starters in the first preseason game. It's used to evaluate the back end of the 90 man roster since cuts have to be made. 

2. Ehlinger got to play the entire second half last week because Hundly was recently added to the roster and may not have been ready for game action while learning a new offense. Hundley will play this week.

3. Whoever starts games 2 and 3 will get to play with starters. Again, that's the nature of preseason. I don't think it's weird or a conspiracy against Eason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Well, they obviously have more trust in Eason's abilities now and know what they can expect from him hence the less amount of playtime and the backups.

They're giving Sam a chance to prove his worth while they are confident in Eason's abilties.

Yeah that is what I am guessing. Probably want to seem if Sams limitations hurt him against the defensive starters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Can you expand on what you mean by trusting them to play it safe? They want to win games, is that safe?

Sure, they're not going to unseat Wentz or give him any inclination that his job is at stake right now, even though (as I said earlier, lot's of posts from me today..) I get the impression if he's out there shadowing Eason, it's because he knows what he's looking at too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

1. Whoever got the start last week was going to be throwing to backups. That's the nature of preseason. Teams usually do not play their starters in the first preseason game. It's used to evaluate the back end of the 90 man roster since cuts have to be made. 

2. Ehlinger got to play the entire second half last week because Hundly was recently added to the roster and may not have been ready for game action while learning a new offense. Hundley will play this week.

3. Whoever starts games 2 and 3 will get to play with starters. Again, that's the nature of preseason. I don't think it's weird or a conspiracy against Eason.

Reich said that he didnt want to put Sam in a 2 min situation right off the bat thus giving Jacob the entire first half. To him it just made sense to give Sam equal time in the 2nd. The thought initially was to get Hundley out there but Eason was struggling a little in the 2nd quarter and coach was trying to give him time to finish strong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't see the Josh Allen comparison. Allen is high level athlete that actually wins consistently with his athleticism and is a legitimate dual threat QB. Eason is not that. He will succeed or fail in the league as a pocket QB. I've compared Eason to earlier career Joe Flacco. Big QB, great arm, not complete statue, but not a threat to run either... questionable pocket presence. Or if you want a more recent comp - Drew Lock. 

I personally am hyped about for several reasons - first, it's the first time after more than a year after getting drafted that we are seeing any footage and game film of him in the NFL, even if it's pre-season. Second - I was relatively high on him pre-draft. I had him as a second round QB and I thought he had some high level traits and physical attributes that I thought had potential to be developed into something good in the league. But at the same time in the pre-draft process we kept hearing about attitude/character/coachability problems, questions about him losing his starting job in Georgia, etc. and it's very possible this is why he dropped in the draft. That along with his lack of pocket presence and awareness. And here comes the exciting part. Reich has been nothing but glowing in his compliments about his work ethic and attitude... and when his status was put into question - not only did he not crumble - he elevated his game in practice and in the game last week and is continuing to carry momentum into this week. In other words - he's answering some of the biggest questions about him as a prospect and so far(true, it's early) he's passing with flying colors. 

I do NOT want him starting ahead of Wentz. I think this is a bit bonkers... but I do think if he continues this sort of performances in camp and in the games, I would be OK with him starting if Wentz is not ready week 1. I didn't think this was a possibility in the beginning of camp.

I don't know where this will put him in his career with the Colts, knowing we traded major assets for Wentz... but it is a reason for optimism for his prospects going forward. Wentz has been getting injured and he has questions of his own to answer with his play. Maybe Eason becomes an option in the future ahead of Wentz(either injuries or performance reasons)... or maybe he's just a cheap reliable back up for a few years. Who knows... either way I count that as a major win for Eason so far in his career. Only time will tell where he will land in hierarchy of NFL QBs, but I think the beginning of his career is promising.

This is by far the best reasoning I've seen for Eason hype, optimistic but realistic.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

As stated many times over it also has to do with who is back for our O Line, we assumes Q will be and Fisher is 50/50. If both a perfect scenario O line is stout for the opening of the season and if favors Eason if only Q back line weak at LT and Sam's mobility players a bigger role if both Q and Fisher out O line in peril heavy Sam edge.

Well, if you take the HC at his word, when asked that exact question, Reich said the health of the OL doesn't decide who your starting QB is.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree here.  To me they have decided on Eason as the backup.  They will give Sam a chance to show and give Hundley some work too.  But for me it certainly looks like Eason has won the backup job.  

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Sure, they're not going to unseat Wentz or give him any inclination that his job is at stake right now, even though (as I said earlier, lot's of posts from me today..) I get the impression if he's out there shadowing Eason, it's because he knows what he's looking at too. 

Okay, so you think the coaches are giving Ehlinger more chances even though you're sure Ehlinger is worse. And you think that's happening because the coaches dont want to upset Carson Wentz. Does that summarize your point accurately?

• Haha 1