Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 16 (8/18)

Wentzszn

5 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

You know he's making the team when even the Colts are putting stuff of him in their official sites.

They would be trying to hide him if they were trying to get him to the PS. He is basically a lock.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

This kid looks like a steal so far

I hope so.  I'm trying to slow my roll on his expectations right now.  I keep telling myself we've only seen him play one half against (and with) 2nd team players.

I really wish they'd let him start Saturday.  Not that Sam doesn't deserve a shot.  But I want to see Eason with the 1's against the 1's.  I have no idea how they'll treat the 3rd preseason game.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I hope so.  I'm trying to slow my roll on his expectations right now.  I keep telling myself we've only seen him play one half against (and with) 2nd team players.

I really wish they'd let him start Saturday.  Not that Sam doesn't deserve a shot.  But I want to see Eason with the 1's against the 1's.  I have no idea how they'll treat the 3rd preseason game.

We do have two weeks between the third preseason game and the regular season and Reich did say we might see starters in the third game. When asked about this he said he will see what happens Saturday and make a decision on who starts that final preseason game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

This kid looks like a steal so far

He looks like he has quickness and good hand fighting to get off the line in press coverage. And i was impressed with his ability to fight off the DB and with great agility cross over to an inside move. Holy Cow! His long speed looks good so i can hear Reggie once again saying he wished he had that size/length. Definitely very promising.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Watching the video: The ball absolutely flies out of his hands, and it looks so effortless. 

Like speed and size, you can't teach the arm strength he has.  

I know there are as important traits that we're still waiting to see if he has, like pocket awareness, going quickly through progressions, and touch.  But those are things that can come with experience.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

As we watched our Goat flutter 100 Int's over his 1st 5 seasons.

Vague posts, where I'm supposed to infer that you don't trust or want or like (whatever you want to call it) Eason... 

Ok. 

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Vague posts, where I'm supposed to infer that you don't trust or want or like (whatever you want to call it) Eason... 

Ok. 

I took it as - We cheered for Peyton while he learned the game for about 5 years.  He had no fear of throwing the ball.  So let's do the same for Eason!

It worked out fairly well for him...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I took it as - We cheered for Peyton while he learned the game for about 5 years.  He had no fear of throwing the ball.  So let's do the same for Eason!

I like the sound of that.  Give the kid a chance.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

huh.. you might be right, if you are, sorry to bbz... 

Eason reminds me of Josh Allen so much. I was a total mark for Josh Allen before the 2018 draft and thought he was by far the best QB in that draft. Drafted him 5th to the Broncos in the Gavin mock draft that year.

You saw what he did. I think Eason could be similar. Very similar-type talent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Until this preseason, I don't think Hines ever missed a practice.  Not to mention a game.

He's such an important part of the offense, I hope they make sure he's right before he goes back out there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Eason reminds me of Josh Allen so much. I was a total mark for Josh Allen before the 2018 draft and thought he was by far the best QB in that draft. Drafted him 5th to the Broncos in the Gavin mock draft that year.

Eason isn’t as mobile as Allen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Eason isn’t as mobile as Allen. 

I said similar, I didn't say exact. If Eason was as mobile, we wouldn't of got him in the 4th round. Eason does have the same-type arm strength though, and that natural leadership and drive that a Josh Allen has. He's a more raw Josh Allen, but I think he's on pace to improve in an upward motion and continue to get better. I already think he has higher potential than Wentz, even though Wentz is better right now.

The gap between him and Wentz isn't that far off. I truly believe Eason has a decent shot of being our future QB1 if he continues this uptrend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

You know he's making the team when even the Colts are putting stuff of him in their official sites.

They did an entire offseason series about Deon Cain's recovery and road to greatness...and he was cut a month into the season LOL.

I would imagine he makes the team though. I hope they let him compete with Pitt for the outside spot. Pitt isn't the only tall guy on the team...draft capital be damned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I get the hesitancy a little with Eason. Most of us still have bad memories of the whole Jeff George fiasco.

He was supposed to be the second coming to Dan Marino as far as arm talent went.  Most of us were

blown away that a local guy from Warren Central could possibly have the best arm in the NFL. His

deep ball was really impressive. However lack of leadership and a OL that just sucked got him killed and

he lost every bit of his confidence and his career was over pretty much before it even got started.

Since then we have had just ok arm talent and won a super bowl in the process. With Eason I really 

hope that he realizes his full protentional. I get the entire team is pulling for him now.  He has all

the physical tools you want in a starting QB. Mentally, we need to see how he responds to adversity.

Is he a guy who can forget a bad play and move on. Those are some of the most important traits

a QB needs. Through college and little into his NFL career he has not been the most consistent.

If he can improve that part of his game, we could be looking at QB battle with Wentz. 

It sucks for Sam because if it wasnt for Eason's arm talent, he may have a shot to be #2. I heard

someone comp Eason to Minshew and that seemed fair. Minshew was a starter and did pretty

well for himself, so I believe to if given the opp that Sam would probably do the same. Im fully

on board with Eason. I feel though its Starter or bust for him. His trajectory and personality

seem to indicate he is on the move and would take QB1. Wentz window for error now becomes

smaller if Eason continues this progression.  

Eason in his prime, verse Wentz. Man I think there could be a battle brewing in a year or two if not sooner.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Blindside said:

I get the hesitancy a little with Eason. Most of us still have bad memories of the whole Jeff George fiasco.

He was supposed to be the second coming to Dan Marino as far as arm talent went.  Most of us were

blown away that a local guy from Warren Central could possibly have the best arm in the NFL. His

deep ball was really impressive. However lack of leadership and a OL that just sucked got him killed and

he lost every bit of his confidence and his career was over pretty much before it even got started.

Since then we have had just ok arm talent and won a super bowl in the process. With Eason I really 

hope that he realizes his full protentional. I get the entire team is pulling for him now.  He has all

the physical tools you want in a starting QB. Mentally, we need to see how he responds to adversity.

Is he a guy who can forget a bad play and move on. Those are some of the most important traits

a QB needs. Through college and little into his NFL career he has not been the most consistent.

If he can improve that part of his game, we could be looking at QB battle with Wentz. 

It sucks for Sam because if it wasnt for Eason's arm talent, he may have a shot to be #2. I heard

someone comp Eason to Minshew and that seemed fair. Minshew was a starter and did pretty

well for himself, so I believe to if given the opp that Sam would probably do the same. Im fully

on board with Eason. I feel though its Starter or bust for him. His trajectory and personality

seem to indicate he is on the move and would take QB1. Wentz window for error now becomes

smaller if Eason continues this progression.  

Eason in his prime, verse Wentz. Man I think there could be a battle brewing in a year or two if not sooner.

That's the perfect made-up word to describe Eason. Protentional. Going to use that one! haha :) 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I can see a part of what you're putting down, but there's a glaring difference.. Eason is all arm, Allen is all athlete, at least in the oversimplified breakdown/conventional wisdom. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's the perfect made-up word to describe Eason. Protentional. Going to use that one! haha :) 

lol I almost nailed that. Damn oh well if someone else wants to coin it, go for it.

• Thanks 1

Okay, I really just don't understand all this love for Eason. Can someone explain it to me? He's played one preseason game. Ya'll are talking about him taking over QB1 but he hasn't won the backup spot, I think people are getting caught up in the hype.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Ok. 

Someone posted "Dude has such a nice ball".

I didn't disagree. It's tight!
  Peyton Manning threw fluttering ducks and averaged 20 Int. a year over his 1st 5 years.
 Manning took every snap those 5 years...
 And some folks here have Eason as a pigeon holed, not sure if he will ever make a good backup because he can't think fast, lacks touch, and has no pocket awareness. 
 And I watched Manning have 7 one and done Playoff appearances mostly because he Had to pass us to victory (he LOVED MVP's) and under playoff pressure he turned the ball over a lot. 
 Like 3 touchdowns 7 Int's in the playoffs and SB he won here.
 I enjoyed watching the earlier video from Practice yesterday with Eason holding the ball in front of him with two hands and the coach yelling (i'm sure in the time he needs to learn to do it) step up step up step up.
 That kind of coaching might work!
 He has a lot of time to get that impregnated into his mental clock, along with a many dozens of other thoughts. 
 No, i think the guy is sharp enough to get better as quick as most guys that get good at highly effectively slingin' it. Carson may end up One & Done!

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Okay, I really just don't understand all this love for Eason. Can someone explain it to me? He's played one preseason game. Ya'll are talking about him taking over QB1 but he hasn't won the backup spot, I think people are getting caught up in the hype.

If you go back to last weekends first preseason games Eason looked just as good as these high draft picks. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Agreed. It's way too early and we definitely need to see more. I'm all for Eason's improvement, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions after 1 preseason game.