Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Ranked #3

TheBlueAndWhite

48 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The defense has playmakers, but the lack of a second corner and consistent pressure will continue to haunt us.

You are assuming we are going to continue to be inconsistent in applying pressure.  I have a feeling that’s going to change.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw an improvement in Rock’s play as well.  Time will tell of course but I am very optimistic about seeing a big jump in our defense just like the author of those rankings.  

Is this possible?    Sure.   I’m just not sure it’s likely.  

And I’ve seen opinion stories saying they think the Colts might have the BEST defense this year.  Yes, number one.   Heck, Schein says in this piece where he ranks us third.   Literally says he wouldn’t be surprised if we’re first.    Frankly, I don’t see it, but I’d be thrilled to be wrong.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You are assuming we are going to continue to be inconsistent in applying pressure.  I have a feeling that’s going to change.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw an improvement in Rock’s play as well.  Time will tell of course but I am very optimistic about seeing a big jump in our defense just like the author of those rankings.  

We're putting a lot of pressure on inconsistent pass rushers and two rookies. Hopefully things work out.

That’s some high praise. For me, it’s hard to overlook that this defense wasn’t very good the second half of the 2020 season. Half a season of football.

I know we can chalk a lot of that up to a lack of consistent pressure up front, but it’s also hard to believe that this is already fixed sight unseen, especially with them essentially relying on two rookies (one of which is still in recovery) to not only offset the loss of Houston and Autry, but even improve upon that.

And then you have the secondary, which IMO, has its own questions, even with added pressure up front. 

I think a top 10 finish could be in the cards, but #3 would require them to play at a similar level to what they were early last season, but for a whole season. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

That’s some high praise. For me, it’s hard to overlook that this defense wasn’t very good the second half of the 2020 season. Half a season of football.

I know we can chalk a lot of that up to a lack of consistent pressure up front, but it’s also hard to believe that this is already fixed sight unseen, especially with them essentially relying on two rookies (one of which is still in recovery) to not only offset the loss of Houston and Autry, but even improve upon that.

And then you have the secondary, which IMO, has its own questions, even with added pressure up front. 

I think a top 10 finish could be in the cards, but #3 would require them to play at a similar level to what they were early last season, but for a whole season. 

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Facts - we lost our two best pass rushers.  We lost Walker.  

Opinion - we think our rookie(s), Tyquan, Turay, etal, will at least equal their production.  We love Bobby and think Zaire will be a decent LB.  Also hoping Speed will continue to develop.  DBs remain pretty much the same.

Top 3?  Possibly.  D had a couple bad games last year when key players were out (Tenn & Pitt).  Are we any better at backups at those spots?

Tougher schedule than last year. 

I’ll take top 10 if the O is as good as we think it can be.  

12 hours ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-top-nine-defenses-in-2021-rams-and-bucs-reign-supreme-but-broncos-have-imm

Granted, it's an opinion, but I don't think it's to far off, we shall see. 

You will see nothing but doubters in the posts that follow.

As if they are very familiar with all these defenses that are going to be better.

We can believe the first 5 games will be tough. My opinion is that we are going to control the clock to an advantage, and be playing with a lead often this season. Defense stats, and the pass rush look better in that scenario.

This is an ascending defense overall, so being top 5 in scoring D is a reasonable probability.

I think the defense can be good, but I wouldn't bet on them being top 3.  I would guess 8-12.

I mostly base my thinking off of 2 things.  Too many young or rookie unproven players.  Especially at DE.  Also, I haven't been impressed with many of the schemes Eberflus has put out there.

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think the defense can be good, but I wouldn't bet on them being top 3.  I would guess 8-12.

I mostly base my thinking off of 2 things.  Too many young or rookie unproven players.  Especially at DE.  Also, I haven't been impressed with many of the schemes Eberflus has put out there.

Top 8-12 could be a good range if the Offense can control the ball and put up points.  The best Defense is a good Offense, right  (and vice versa).

I agree with what you're saying about Flus, but I think he plays ultra conservative because of the talent he has to work with.  If the pass rush develops, he may not play as conservative in the back end.

Sometimes it's maddening to watch, but it's hard to argue with the results.  Like I said earlier, the games where the D was blown out was a result of key players not being available.  We lost Buckner for Tenn and didn't we lose Willis in the second half of the Steelers game?  Not a real good excuse, but it does explain some things.

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

The defense has playmakers, but the lack of a second corner and consistent pressure will continue to haunt us.

That pressure is coming. If Leonard says Paye has it, he HAS IT. Turay, Lewis, Ben, and Rochelle are playing hard they know Dayo spot.is saved for him. They got to step up it's cutting time...

15 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

That pressure is coming. If Leonard says Paye has it, he HAS IT. Turay, Lewis, Ben, and Rochelle are playing hard they know Dayo spot.is saved for him. They got to step up it's cutting time...

I would have felt a lot better about that if Turay and Ben performed better against the Panthers second team O line.

I know they didn't scheme anything, and Turay did look fast.  So that's a decent sign.  But I expected more.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

You will see nothing but doubters in the posts that follow.

As if they are very familiar with all these defenses that are going to be better.

We can believe the first 5 games will be tough. My opinion is that we are going to control the clock to an advantage, and be playing with a lead often this season. Defense stats, and the pass rush look better in that scenario.

This is an ascending defense overall, so being top 5 in scoring D is a reasonable probability.

I think people are pretty familiar with those other defenses. There are some very good defenses out there. Schein doesn't even have teams like PIT, NO or SF in his top 9.

It is a lot more difficult to go from being a middling defense to a good defense than it is to go from a good defense to a great/elite defense. 

There's a non-zero chance the Colts are a top 3 defense next year though...but I need to see this new-look DL first.

15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think people are pretty familiar with those other defenses. There are some very good defenses out there. Schein doesn't even have teams like PIT, NO or SF in his top 9.

It is a lot more difficult to go from being a middling defense to a good defense than it is to go from a good defense to a great/elite defense. 

There's a non-zero chance the Colts are a top 3 defense next year though...but I need to see this new-look DL first.

I think it's on "new look" if the pass rush improves over last season.  Buck and Grove do their job.  The DE's are all unproven.  If they can't do any better than last year, I think we'll see the same D.

16 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I believe if Paye plays like a beast we make that leap. I feel really good about DT Woods and Stewart are solid next to DeFO, Muhammed fills in nice there too. We really need our young DEs to step up. It will make our secondarys job so much easier. If we become a top 10 front 7 this D can become the best in the AFC this year. Top 5

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Well, then becoming a stock investor might not be a calling for you.......:hat:

Let me put it like this - if I had stocks on "Colts top 3 D in the league" I would be selling them and buying all the stocks available for the reverse - "Colts in bottom 29 defenses in the league". I think I'd do relatively well with that... 

At this point I'll be surprised if Yasin stays on this team. The lack of effort in a preseason game is unacceptable and is a horrible example to any young players coming in. 

Maybe im reading too much into it, but I get a very Quincy Wilson vibe from Yasin. Don't be surprised if he also winds up on the Jets. 

And I was one who was really high on him being able to get it together. If that game says anything its that that won't be happening. 

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

At this point I'll be surprised if Yasin stays on this team. The lack of effort in a preseason game is unacceptable and is a horrible example to any young players coming in. 

Maybe im reading too much into it, but I get a very Quincy Wilson vibe from Yasin. Don't be surprised if he also winds up on the Jets. 

And I was one who was really high on him being able to get it together. If that game says anything its that that won't be happening. 

Theme song for Ya-Sin

Total Eclispe of the Heart

Turn arooouund, Rooock Yaaa

He's frustrating to watch because he is in good position but he either gets physical or doesn't turn toward the ball. It sounds like he's been up and down. I hope he steps up.

I think you're going to be surprised.

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I hope so. Its still TBD just frustrated me to hear about his lack of effort when its really make or break for him. 

I’m not sure what was viewed is actually what happened.  I’ve seen no media comment about it, nor have Reich or Flus said anything,   so I’m hoping there’s more to the story.  

But I have been reading that Rock is having mostly a good, but not great, camp.   Rock was said to have had a good day today.   Not the first time I’ve read this.   I still hope for the best. 

On 8/18/2021 at 1:44 AM, CR91 said:

#3 is far higher than I would have expected to rank but I think the two holes that you've identified are the only two holes on the entire unit. Even at those, there are question marks rather than known deficiencies.

If Rhodes plays like he did last season, he and Moore could be a solid two at CB. Rock was better than most would have you believe last season, and TJ Carrie played an important rotational role. We've got Tell coming back, and Rodgers, who has flashed in limited snaps (not sure how his training camp has gone).

With regards to the D-Line, Buckner will absolutely provide consistent pressure if he is healthy all year. Then it's just a case of Paye, Turay, or Lewis stepping up. If just one of them can provide something off the edge, the pass rush should be at least adequate.

The rest of the defensive unit is average at worst and elite at best. People might point to LB3 as another hole but guys like Franklin and Adams are more than sufficient there to fill an extremely limited role on an extremely limited number of snaps.

As I said, I'm very surprised to see the Colts at #3, but the pieces are there. If they all click, it could certainly happen.

With regards to Rock's work ethic, wouldn't a lack of effort be the exact opposite from what we've seen from him the last couple of years? I don't pay great attention to behind the scenes stuff but he's been a worker up to this point has he not?

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Even if we had the personnel to be a upper echelon Defense, which we don't,  our scheme would hold them back.... especially statistically. 

Good point.
 One of the results of a “bend but don’t break” philosophy is yards against. Hard to project they will end up top 3 there, (although top 3 in points allowed seems doable).

Even though I expect a solid run D, the secondary has to be better in giving up big plays. Too many times, we saw confusion and missed assignments.

We can hope that another year’s experience will help with that.

Another thing to watch is; will the DE’s protect against the cutback (which Houston and Autry were good at). 
   Lastly, we’ve seen great play from most of our starters but consistency is what separates the good from the great. We shall see if they’ve risen to that level and “top 3” becomes reality. But we won’t really know until the season progresses.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:57 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Is this possible?    Sure.   I’m just not sure it’s likely.  

And I’ve seen opinion stories saying they think the Colts might have the BEST defense this year.  Yes, number one.   Heck, Schein says in this piece where he ranks us third.   Literally says he wouldn’t be surprised if we’re first.    Frankly, I don’t see it, but I’d be thrilled to be wrong.  

The ceiling is there, but top 5 is more realistic. Stewart and Woods look good, and Stewart's just a pup. Paye and Turay looking light quick and explosive. Ben has played good so far and Lewis is solid. Buckner speaks for himself. If this front 7 is young, but if they start clicking and feeding off each other they could be very solid early. Imagine if we are a top ten defense 6 weeks in. We have a Dayo just sitting on that PUP list hungry AF to get out on that field. Potential 1st rounder, if he comes on healthy Ballard just built the deepest trenches in football. The way he's built this team to the vision he laid out is spot on. If Paye, Dayo, and Strachan all ball out this is a hell of a team.

Archived