Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 15(8/17)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

So, Eason isn't bad. Weird. I kept seeing slow and boring and not interesting and can't do it.. 

It's interesting seeing reactions to QB play, but some of us aren't as sure of what we're looking at as others. Eason has *the* pro trait that can't be taught- arm. If he's getting better and finds a path to continue to improve- he's going to cap out around what we hope Wentz is. 

I'll say it, I'm not so sure he won't be better. 

shh..... 

THE RULES MAKE SENSE ASK NO QUESTIONS

Calm down, he's having a good day of practice... without pads. Don't go crowning him the future starter based on that. rotflmao

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Calm down, he's having a good day of practice... without pads. Don't go crowning him the future starter based on that. rotflmao

If Ehlinger was practicing, they would still be playing up the competition angle. But with him out, it's Eason looking better and more comfortable than ever...and taking the reigns. 

36 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

It's so weird that people care so much about whethere or not a player is vaccinated. Jeez, please quit talking about it. His football ability has nothing to do with his personal medical decisions. 

uhm.... in this case it kinda actually directly impacts his ability to play football.... longer absences required if he gets COVID, or comes in contact with anyone who has COVID. 

Would have to isolate longer, stay away from team longer, practice less, potentially play less......

16 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I'll say it again, because some of us overvalue Wentz (he's practiced with the Colts twice, and wasn't good last year)- Eason could end up being better. Nothing more or less. The jury is out. Things are evolving etc.. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Have to be honest here. MegaStrachan sounds better. :D Especially the way his name is actually pronounced. That one will screw with the minds of opponents for a bit until they learn. 

Yes, Megastrachan does flow nicely. 

Ya, without the c being silent, it would sound like a serious itch.....Megascratchin. 

6 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Not discounting the other things you wrote, because you do make valid points, but to the bolded above:

- It's easy to make quick reads against a vanilla defense and 3rd / 4th string players.
- Again, vanilla defense and 3rd / 4th stringers. Better defenses have a defender spying the QB, especially if you telegraph that the guy is in as a running option QB. You wont get away with that vs better defenses....

So just to counter for argument sake on the vanilla defense, Eason unable to make quick reads or sense pressure against a vanilla defense seems more of a problem to me.

Praying for Wentz week 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

BTW for whatever it's worth I absolutely LOVE how Eason has responded to getting somewhat of a demotion here. He seems like he's on a mission. Not only hasn't he hung his head and given up - on the contrary, he seems to have elevated his game to a new place. And BTW this comes after he entered the league with questions about his attitude/leadership and after he lost his starting job to a less talented QB in Jake Fromm in Georgia. 

Love it. Absolutely LOVE it! I don't want to hear about us trading for another caretaker QBs anymore. That should be a moot point at this point. Both Eason(especially him) and Ehlinger are showing we can run a functional offense with them... maybe even more than just functional. :thmup:

I'm enjoying YOU enjoying it!  :funny:

Highly recommend all intellectual Colts fans to watch Eason's post game presser. He is no say nuthin, droll, LUCK. I like this guy. So far!  :spit:

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Dakich on Sam. If I am that dude I am not about  to be sick.:cheer2:

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Zofran, DayQuil, Imodium, etc.... Ain't any way I'm missing work if I'm him. 

idk seems dumb and selfish to me to come into work sick, why put all your teammates at risk of getting sick. The better move is to not come in putting the team before yourself.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

BTW for whatever it's worth I absolutely LOVE how Eason has responded to getting somewhat of a demotion here. He seems like he's on a mission. Not only hasn't he hung his head and given up - on the contrary, he seems to have elevated his game to a new place. And BTW this comes after he entered the league with questions about his attitude/leadership and after he lost his starting job to a less talented QB in Jake Fromm in Georgia. 

Love it. Absolutely LOVE it! I don't want to hear about us trading for another caretaker QBs anymore. That should be a moot point at this point. Both Eason(especially him) and Ehlinger are showing we can run a functional offense with them... maybe even more than just functional. :thmup:

Not to rehash an old story, but Eason initially lost his job to Fromm because of an injury, not talent.  And  Fromm had a great year with a really good team that season.  

But I agree with you, and I think the Colts do too after what they’re seeing.  I hope he tears it up the rest of the preseason and we start getting trade offers.  

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

idk seems dumb and selfish to me to come into work sick, why put all your teammates at risk of getting sick. The better move is to not come in putting the team before yourself.

It was just a joke because it was all said around him reading tweets and seeing how good Eason was playing.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Not to rehash an old story, but Eason initially lost his job to Fromm because of an injury, not talent.  And  Fromm had a great year with a really good team that season.  

But I agree with you, and I think the Colts do too after what they’re seeing.  I hope he tears it up the rest of the preseason and we start getting trade offers.  

We aren’t trading Eason. If he looks this good they will value that greatly in a backup. Then in 3 years they can reevaluate after his rookie deal is up and see where Carson has taken this team.

44 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'll say it again, because some of us overvalue Wentz (he's practiced with the Colts twice, and wasn't good last year)- Eason could end up being better. Nothing more or less. The jury is out. Things are evolving etc.. 

Just no

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, if he can play, you simply don't want QB depth..

Man, this preseason is starting to grind a bit. Weird stuff left and right. 

Just now, Zoltan said:

Just no

Just yes... 

I'm not buying what you're putting down either. So... it's an old fashioned difference of opinion. Again- weird takes, left and right. Somewhere between, boring, can't play, slow, doesn't read D's and maybe we can trade him! 

All because we're so darn sure Wentz is really the guy ...

Oh and Jordan and the Flu game shouldn't have happened... got it.. 

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Just yes... 

I'm not buying what you're putting down either. So... it's an old fashioned difference of opinion. Again- weird takes, left and right. Somewhere between, boring, can't play, slow, doesn't read D's and maybe we can trade him! 

All because we're so darn sure Wentz is really the guy ...

Oh and Jordan and the Flu game shouldn't have happened... got it.. 

never said he was boring, or that he can't play, or that we should trade him. unable to sense pressure, and slow to read the play are valid concerns that he has a history of

One preseason game and you want to crown him the starter, that's ridiculous 

and the bolded part i don't know what your talking about

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I agree about Eason's story, and the possibility of having starter material with him.  But I don't want trade offers.  Wentz has a history with injuries.  And I want a QB behind Wentz that is ready to play, at any time.  And could potentially challenge him for the starting role.

"We want competition at every position" -- Chris Ballard

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

One preseason game and you want to crown him the starter, that's ridiculous 

Reading is fundamental (I didn't say anything definitively- beyond MAYBE). 

Also, someone who's not Wentz is playing week 1. High probability- so if someone here is saying things that qualify as ridiculous- might I suggest ... it's not me.

40 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

So just to counter for argument sake on the vanilla defense, Eason unable to make quick reads or sense pressure against a vanilla defense seems more of a problem to me.

Praying for Wentz week 1

I am hoping for Wentz week 1 as well but if Eason had to start behind our number 1 OL and with our first team offense i wouldn't be too concerned about him feeling a lot of pressure or lack of time to make reads.  He will have one of the top lines in the NFL in front of him.  He will have time.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Reading is fundamental (I didn't say anything definitively- beyond MAYBE). 

Also, someone who's not Wentz is playing week 1. High probability- so if someone here is saying things that qualify as ridiculous- might I suggest ... it's not me.

Sorry let me change it then. To say someone should maybe be the starter after one career preseason game is ridiculous when that player is still trying to win the back up position.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I am hoping for Wentz week 1 as well but if Eason had to start behind our number 1 OL and with our first team offense i wouldn't be too concerned about him feeling a lot of pressure or lack of time to make reads.  He will have one of the top lines in the NFL in front of him.  He will have time.

I would agree with that I would feel alot better with Eason behind our starting offensive line, they would mask his weaknesses very well.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Going to be interesting with Easons confidence growing if Reich changes his mind about who starts Saturday.

It will be real easy to say Strachan and Eason get the nod over Ehlinger and Campbell now because they're missing reps. Would cause less controversy, especially if they miss a second day.

33 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Trade offers? Lol.

I hope the team waits and sees which version of Wentz we’re getting before considering that.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I can’t believe Ballard actually found a 7th rd stud. How did this guy go unoticed.

It wasn’t Ballard.   It was a scout who found Strachan.  

The credit to Ballard goes for making him a 7th round draft pick as opposed to a free agent signing which is what most teams likely had for Strachan.  

That’s a well run scouting department.  A credit to everyone. 

15 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

It will be real easy to say Strachan and Eason get the nod over Ehlinger and Campbell now because they're missing reps. Would cause less controversy, especially if they miss a second day.

Good point, though I would still start Campbell. He also needs the work and I think his potential is sky high. 

But this reasoning could work for starting Eason, should Frank not want to stir up anything. 

Just now, cbear said:

Good point, though I would still start Campbell. He also needs the work and I think his potential is sky high. 

But this reasoning could work for starting Eason, should Frank not want to stir up anything. 

Yeah I don't see Mike taking reps away from Paris. They really don't even play the same position. 

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Yeah I don't see Mike taking reps away from Paris. They really don't even play the same position. 

Exactly.  Two different skill sets.  If Mike continues to improve, like Xavier said, he has a bright future.

For now though, Frank is smart enough to know his strengths and make up some endzone plays to take advantage of his size.  If he's out there with TY and MPJ, he's going to get some 50/50 balls.

Archived