Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 15(8/17)

Wentzszn

1 hour ago, C_Lew said:

To be frank, you seem to have chosen your favorite and are viewing each player’s performance with a biased point of view. Yeah Ehlinger’s comeback was against 3rd stringers, but that was the only opportunity he had. Both QBs played good for the most part and showed skills that the other doesn’t really possess. They switch roles this Saturday, so maybe we’ll get a clearer picture of who is more ready. Trying to declare a definitive winner right now is more of a snap decision than a well thought out, logical one. 

I guess I didn't see it this way from Chucklez series of posts.  They seemed to be saying a lot of the same things here.  After reviewing the game he didn't see what everyone was raving about with Sam.  And even went on to say we will know more after game 2.

I certainly wouldn't pick a starter right now.  I don't think we know enough to be confident that either guy is ready to start in an NFL game, and I fully expect each guy to make some serious errors if they are forced to start the beginning of the season.  Whether it is interceptions or strip-sacks they might have avoided.  

It will be good to see how Sam does against better competition this week and we (as well as the coaches) I sure are very interested in what we see.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Well there go the first five guys no one knew were in camp....lol

Wasnt Quartney Davis the one with the #5 jersey that caught a pass in the game?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I guess I didn't see it this way from Chucklez series of posts.  They seemed to be saying a lot of the same things here.  After reviewing the game he didn't see what everyone was raving about with Sam.  And even went on to say we will know more after game 2.

I certainly wouldn't pick a starter right now.  I don't think we know enough to be confident that either guy is ready to start in an NFL game, and I fully expect each guy to make some serious errors if they are forced to start the beginning of the season.  Whether it is interceptions or strip-sacks they might have avoided.  

It will be good to see how Sam does against better competition this week and we (as well as the coaches) I sure are very interested in what we see.

“To me this isn't even really a competition at the moment. Eason is the better QB in my eyes. Let's see Ehlinger vs the 1s and 2s next week vs the Broncos and Eason vsthe 2s, 3s and 4s and I bet you Eason looks WAY better.”

This was really the main thing my initial post was aimed at. I have no problem with anyone thinking Eason/Ehlinger is the better QB, but it’s certainly a competition. Neither QB has shown enough yet to be the clear cut standout, or the clear cut inferior QB, for that matter. 

Chucklez made some good points, as well. Some of the over-the-top Ehlinger praise is premature, too. On both sides of the competition, we just need to see more. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I have to agree. I did like to see the mobility, but that was really the only way they could move the ball at first. And being at the game, it didn't even seem like CAR was really even trying to stop that. I think that will change as preseason goes on, especially with better players on the field. Ehlinger has decent speed, but he's not a Jalen Hurts, let alone a Lamar.

Eason is clearly a much better passer and the better QB. 

The issue is going to be the OL. Probably easier to scheme around it with Ehlinger. But the trade off in passing is big.

I was very unimpressed by Ehlingers passing ability. His throws were often very behind the receiver and off target. His big pass play was honestly more luck then anything, throwing into double coverage with the receiver making a great adjustment. Eason did a terrific job leading his receivers IMHO. Being there at the game Eason far and away looked like the better QB to me especially with the stronger competition and pretty well the same o-line Ehlinger had. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Keep that confidence going. Is Strachan getting run with the ones with Parris out?

I see no problem with him getting 1st team reps. Hes talented enough to handle it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

I called it last week.  Strachan (Harold Charmichael v2.0) is playing his way into the starting lineup.  Yeah.

Well Parris is out sick so that is probably part of it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Not discounting the other things you wrote, because you do make valid points, but to the bolded above:

- It's easy to make quick reads against a vanilla defense and 3rd / 4th string players.
- Again, vanilla defense and 3rd / 4th stringers. Better defenses have a defender spying the QB, especially if you telegraph that the guy is in as a running option QB. You wont get away with that vs better defenses....

Additionally, because of the 'abilities' each player has it should also be taken into consideration the plays that were called for each QB. Because of Eason's arm and big body in the pocket there were likely more deep patterns called versus Sams stature and arm strength. Additionally, Black and Vaughns circus catches were just that, great plays made by the WR and not necessarily great throws by the QB. Eason did show touch on Campbells 30-40 yard gain......

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Keep that confidence going. Is Strachan getting run with the ones with Parris out?

MegaStrachan! @krunk I think it was you that suggested the nickname. I objected, but that was before I saw Strachan has actually claimed that nickname himself so... I guess I'm good with it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

MegaStrachan! @krunk I think it was you that suggested the nickname. I objected, but that was before I saw Strachan has actually claimed that nickname himself so... I guess I'm good with it. 

I mentioned Mikeatron. Lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I mentioned Mikeatron. Lol

Have to be honest here. MegaStrachan sounds better. :D Especially the way his name is actually pronounced. That one will screw with the minds of opponents for a bit until they learn. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Have to be honest here. MegaStrachan sounds better. :D Especially the way his name is actually pronounced. That one will screw with the minds of opponents for a bit until they learn. 

I agree

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

I keep forgetting the C is silent so pronunciation on that is Mega Strahn! I get it now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I can’t believe Ballard actually found a 7th rd stud. How did this guy go unoticed.

I have no idea but i cant wait to unleash him on the Titans.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, twfish said:

I was very unimpressed by Ehlingers passing ability. His throws were often very behind the receiver and off target. His big pass play was honestly more luck then anything, throwing into double coverage with the receiver making a great adjustment. Eason did a terrific job leading his receivers IMHO. Being there at the game Eason far and away looked like the better QB to me especially with the stronger competition and pretty well the same o-line Ehlinger had. 

That pass to Vaughns looked like a potential hospital ball at first, but Vaughns made a fantastic catch and didn't get hit. I was there as well and it was a very different offense with Ehlinger in. I didn't have the same confidence in him executing the same passes as Eason.

They are just very different QBs.

• Like 3