Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 15(8/17)

Wentzszn

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Never have I seen this deep of a QB room for the Colts....when considering total number of QB's who could become a starter. I'm encouraged. 

Agree with this 100%. I thought if Wentz missed any games before that we'd lose all of them. Now I think we might be able to fight back.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

So I have re-watched the CAR game and I really don't get what everyone is praising Ehlinger for so much?

He was outright bad vs 2nd / 3rd stringers and then he gets praise for "rallying" back (only down 8 points) against a bunch of guys who more than likely won't be on an NFL team come September.

Sure he made one or two nice plays, but overall I really wasn't all that impressed by what he did. To me, Eason showed exactly what we all know about him, can make a few mistakes and powers the ball a little hard at times, but overall he showed poise and glimpses of that much higher ceiling than Ehlinger has. 

To me this isn't even really a competition at the moment. Eason is the better QB in my eyes. Let's see Ehlinger vs the 1s and 2s next week vs the Broncos and Eason vs the 2s, 3s and 4s and I bet you Eason looks WAY better.

Umm....we dont play the Broncos

24 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

So I have re-watched the CAR game and I really don't get what everyone is praising Ehlinger for so much?

Since you asked

1) Quick reads (Processing the field, blitzes, players coming open)

2) Ability to sense rush

3) Ability to move the chains if players are covered, by running

Eason is behind Sam E. on these important things

Neither QB is ready, but....Both QBs showed some promise

With our current situation, with the left side of the OL in tatters, for the first 2-3 games, 

Id rather have the quick reading, mobile QB

I think it gives us a better chance to win in any early game that Wentz isnt available, at least for now

As I stated before, Eason is a better long term QB prospect vs. Sam E.,

You cant teach the rocket arm that he has

My first hope is that Wentz is ready to go day 1, and this is a moot point

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Umm....we dont play the Broncos

Derp, in my post above i wrote against the Broncos, but I was clearly very tired when i wrote that.... It's cause the Vikings were playing the Bronco's in their first game... I totally meant Vs the Vikings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Since you asked

2) Ability to sense rush

Not discounting the other things you wrote, because you do make valid points, but to the bolded above:

- It's easy to make quick reads against a vanilla defense and 3rd / 4th string players.
- Again, vanilla defense and 3rd / 4th stringers. Better defenses have a defender spying the QB, especially if you telegraph that the guy is in as a running option QB. You wont get away with that vs better defenses....

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

He was outright bad vs 2nd / 3rd stringers and then he gets praise for "rallying" back (only down 8 points) against a bunch of guys who more than likely won't be on an NFL team come September.

Sure he made one or two nice plays, but overall I really wasn't all that impressed by what he did. To me, Eason showed exactly what we all know about him, can make a few mistakes and powers the ball a little hard at times, but overall he showed poise and glimpses of that much higher ceiling than Ehlinger has. 

To me this isn't even really a competition at the moment. Eason is the better QB in my eyes. Let's see Ehlinger vs the 1s and 2s next week vs the Broncos and Eason vs the 2s, 3s and 4s and I bet you Eason looks WAY better.

Yup

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Not discounting the other things you wrote, because you do make valid points, but to the bolded above:

- It's easy to make quick reads against a vanilla defense and 3rd / 4th string players.
- Again, vanilla defense and 3rd / 4th stringers. Better defenses have a defender spying the QB, especially if you telegraph that the guy is in as a running option QB. You wont get away with that vs better defenses....

He's doing this in practice against our so called top 10 defense.  Its why he was given the chance to start the 2nd preseason game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Blindside said:

He's doing this in practice against our so called top 10 defense.  Its why he was given the chance to start the 2nd preseason game.

i guess we'll see in game 2, or at least have a clearer picture. 

But based off of what i saw, dont be surprised to see Ehlinger struggle vs their 1s and then Eason totally light up their 2nd / 3rd stringers in comparison. 

I'm all for whoever the better QB is to win the job, but i just dont see that being Ehlinger right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Thanks for the reply

It wasnt just the game on Sunday.

Its been reported that he is doing this in practices as well, going against our 1s, when he gets the chance

He cant control who he plays against.

Again..... I hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan, but Sam E did this EXACT thing against some excellent division 1 college teams. Of course, its not the same, but some of the tier 1 defenses are ran by ex Pro Coaches and implement at least some of the pro style defense concepts that you see on Sundays.

In Sept, the DEs will be coming hard and fast over our porus left side. That slow processing (at this very early stage of his career)

will get Eason clobbered (or strip sacked)  IMHO.

They will send a LB or CB on blitzes often as well...... You better process fast........ or you are in trouble

As stated before, I think Eason is a better long term prospect, but if you are looking for a chance to win in Sept,

(If we dont have Carson) you let the guy play who has played double the snaps the last 3 years, until Eason gets some more experience 

As the 3rd stringer last year, and no camp, Eason did not get meaningful practice and game snaps needed to improve

Sam E. was practicing with the ones and playing in DIV 1 games.

Mental reps can only do so much

Over time, I am anxious to see how he develops (Eason)

We have some speed and size at WR.  If we can get the running game going , keep doing well on OL pass blocking, and he can mentally "slow the game down"

he could be special......  

I just want to win a game or two when Carson is rehabbing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I’m guessing you view Ehlinger’s pick around Carolina’s 40 yard line as egregious? Never mind the fact that he came back later and showed poise, a good feel for the pocket, hit a few good passes, and led a comeback. It doesn’t count because he was playing against 3rd stringers, even though he was also playing with 3rd stringers? 

I’m guessing you don’t view Eason’s strip sack, which resulted in a turnover inside our own red zone, as a bad play on his part. That was just 100% the OL’s fault, right?

To be frank, you seem to have chosen your favorite and are viewing each player’s performance with a biased point of view. Yeah Ehlinger’s comeback was against 3rd stringers, but that was the only opportunity he had. Both QBs played good for the most part and showed skills that the other doesn’t really possess. They switch roles this Saturday, so maybe we’ll get a clearer picture of who is more ready. Trying to declare a definitive winner right now is more of a snap decision than a well thought out, logical one. 

• Like 2

Reich did a interview on radio this morning. A few notes. He isn’t bugging training staff On fisher. Will let Fisher and staff tell him when he is ready. Condition of oline will not dictate which QB starts.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, C_Lew said:

So I’m guessing you view Ehlinger’s pick around Carolina’s 40 yard line as egregious? Never mind the fact that he came back later and showed poise, a good feel for the pocket, hit a few good passes, and led a comeback. It doesn’t count because he was playing against 3rd stringers, even though he was also playing with 3rd stringers? 

I’m guessing you don’t view Eason’s strip sack, which resulted in a turnover inside our own red zone, as a bad play on his part. That was just 100% the OL’s fault, right?

To be frank, you seem to have chosen your favorite and are viewing each player’s performance with a biased point of view. Yeah Ehlinger’s comeback was against 3rd stringers, but that was the only opportunity he had. Both QBs played good for the most part and showed skills that the other doesn’t really possess. They switch roles this Sunday, so maybe we’ll get a clearer picture of who is more ready. Trying to declare a definitive winner right now is more of a snap decision than a well thought out, logical one. 

Actually, I have no dog in this fight. If the coaches choose Eason on Day 1, I will be happy. 

You are assuming what I think which always leads to errors (ask my wife :) )

But truthfully, I want Carson Wentz to be our QB, day 1.

I want the best player to be playing QB in Sept that can have the best chance of getting us a win.

If Eason steps up in the remaining games and practices, I will be very happy.  This is possible.

Maybe the coaches will work with him, narrow the choices to reduce decision times.

He does have a rocket arm that Sam E does not have

They have implemented an offense that makes use of a mobile QB to fit Wentz style and strength.

There will be PLENTY of roll outs this year

Ask yourself, does that seem to be a strength of Eason or Sam E. ?

Again...... I will sleep well either way....  Just making an observation from the great state of Texas

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Actually, I have no dog in this fight. If the coaches choose Eason on Day 1, I will be happy. 

But truthfully, I want Carson Wentz to be our QB, day 1.

I want the best player to be playing QB in Sept that can have the best chance of getting us a win.

If Eason steps up in the remaining games and practices, I will be very happy.  This is possible.

Maybe the coaches will work with him, narrow the choices to reduce decision times.

He does have a rocket arm that Sam E does not have

They have implemented an offense that makes use of a mobile QB to fit Wentz style and strength.

There will be PLENTY of roll outs this year

Ask yourself, does that seem to be a strength of Eason or Sam E. ?

Again...... I will sleep well either way....  Just making an observation from the great state of Texas

Sorry, my post was intended towards Chucklez and anyone else that’s trying to declare a winner right now. 

Reich was also asked how he balances San getting starters Saturday and was asked if Eason needs that too. He says he will wait and see what happens Saturday and let it play out.

Will Caroll will be on with Kevin at 945 to talk about Wentz injury.

16 minutes ago, C_Lew said:

Sorry, my post was intended towards Chucklez and anyone else that’s trying to declare a winner right now. 

31 minutes ago, C_Lew said:

To be frank, you seem to have chosen your favorite and are viewing each player’s performance with a biased point of view. Yeah Ehlinger’s comeback was against 3rd stringers, but that was the only opportunity he had. Both QBs played good for the most part and showed skills that the other doesn’t really possess. They switch roles this Saturday, so maybe we’ll get a clearer picture of who is more ready. Trying to declare a definitive winner right now is more of a snap decision than a well thought out, logical one. 

To be clear, i said this as well.......:

"I guess we'll see in game 2, or at least have a clearer picture. 

But based off of what i saw, dont be surprised to see Ehlinger struggle vs their 1s and then Eason totally light up their 2nd / 3rd stringers in comparison. 

I'm all for whoever the better QB is to win the job, but i just dont see that being Ehlinger right now."

Am i not allowed an opinion? I never declared Eason the starter, i simply said i dont see it being Ehlinger right now.... but let the best man win.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

To be clear, i said this as well.......:

"I guess we'll see in game 2, or at least have a clearer picture. 

I'm all for whoever the better QB is to win the job, but i just dont see that being Ehlinger right now."

Am i not allowed an opinion? I never declared Eason the starter, i simply said i dont see it being Ehlinger right now.... but let the best man win.

It’s a message board lol of course you can have an opinion. I’m just countering your point with mine. No harm, we’re all Colts fans here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Since you asked

2) Ability to sense rush

Neither QB is ready, but....Both QBs showed some promise

With our current situation, with the left side of the OL in tatters, for the first 2-3 games, 

Id rather have the quick reading, mobile QB

I think it gives us a better chance to win in any early game that Wentz isnt available, at least for now

As I stated before, Eason is a better long term QB prospect vs. Sam E.,

You cant teach the rocket arm that he has

My first hope is that Wentz is ready to go day 1, and this is a moot point

His point was, those three abilities people love about captain underdog didn't help him do much of anything for the majority of the time he was in.

I hope they both do amazingly well for the Colts, and Ehlinger is definitely more of a finished product, in that he's developed much closer to the max of his potential over the last few years, whereas Season has the possibility of more untapped potential, and really isn't much behind Sam if at all in overall effectiveness as of today...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blindside said:

The very likely scenario is that Sam is overhyped, and our Defense isn't too 10..... Those things are the most likely scenario.

• Like 1

Wow, it's the first time either of these guys wore the same color uniform as their team.  First time they faced real live competition.  They played with and against 2s and 3s.

You really can't rush to judgement based on one preseason game.

Personally, I liked what I saw from both QBs, considering everything said above.  

Maybe a lot of you haven't been around long enough to see some very bad preseason QB play, not just by our backups.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I have to agree. I did like to see the mobility, but that was really the only way they could move the ball at first. And being at the game, it didn't even seem like CAR was really even trying to stop that. I think that will change as preseason goes on, especially with better players on the field. Ehlinger has decent speed, but he's not a Jalen Hurts, let alone a Lamar.

Eason is clearly a much better passer and the better QB. 

The issue is going to be the OL. Probably easier to scheme around it with Ehlinger. But the trade off in passing is big.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1