Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The QBs

NannyMcafee

4 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Eason had almost a 30 point QB rating than Sam.

Most of that was the Int on the first throw.  Someone said the receiver ran the wrong route,  after that Sam moved the ball.

Eason reminds me Jacoby only a little better. Beautiful ball with touch to Campbell and a couple other nice throws. Good fastball without pressure, no secondary pitch.  Doesn’t check down well. Early they ran a lot of 1 read plays for him.  I think if Eason starts it will be a little ugly.  Sam gives us a better chance ImO if forced to start.   

if we don’t get Wentz back soon we will struggle mightily in the passing game.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Most of that was the Int on the first throw.  Someone said the receiver ran the wrong route,  after that Sam moved the ball.

Eason reminds me Jacoby only a little better. Beautiful ball with touch to Campbell and a couple other nice throws. Good fastball without pressure, no secondary pitch.  Doesn’t check down well. Early they ran a lot of 1 read plays for him.  I think if Eason starts it will be a little ugly.  Sam gives us a better chance ImO if forced to start.   

He needs to take heat off on some of those intermediate in the middle of the field throws. He did fine with the boundary and the touch throw to Campbell. Sometimes you need that velocity to stick it in there and other times you don’t. He just needs to learn that. He did have one completion that needed the velocity to get it in there.  So just learning the difference on when it’s needed.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Nah. That’s Sam. Jacoby rarely threw more than 5-11 yards. No vertical threat. Which is what Sam does. I was there today and I felt like I was reliving 2019 from that style of play 

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nah. That’s Sam. Jacoby rarely threw more than 5-11 yards. No vertical threat. Which is what Sam does. I was there today and I felt like I was reliving 2019 from that style of play 

There's no comparison between the two, IMO.  That said, it's difficult to determine anything from one half of a pre-season exhibition.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

There's no comparison between the two, IMO.  That said, it's difficult to determine anything from one half of a pre-season exhibition.

Agreed. I’m not sold on either one. But I’m just saying that I think on the day, Eason won over Sam, next week, maybe it’s the other way. 

again though, it’s just my lowly rated opinion 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dw49 said:

I wouldn't calll Eason a statue. That's a bit rough.

In today’s NFL, his abilities as a QB is definitely like a statue in comparison. I’m not hating on his game. I think he’s better than Ehlinger, and I still prefer pocket passers. He just doesn’t doesn’t have as much mobility. He makes up for that with his massive cannon. I’ll take a cannon over legs any day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

In today’s NFL, his abilities as a QB is definitely like a statue in comparison. I’m not hating on his game. I think he’s better than Ehlinger, and I still prefer pocket passers. He just doesn’t doesn’t have as much mobility. He makes up for that with his massive cannon. I’ll take a cannon over legs any day.

Do you prefer flat-footed ball sitter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

He needs to take heat off on some of those intermediate in the middle of the field throws. He did fine with the boundary and the touch throw to Campbell. Sometimes you need that velocity to stick it in there and other times you don’t. He just needs to learn that. He did have one completion that needed the velocity to get it in there.  So just learning the difference on when it’s needed.

That one to Strachan was a tad wide with extra mustard.

5 hours ago, Bluesmith said:

I thought both QB's did well.  The situation is as the media has framed it, Eason has the NFL arm, and when protected looks like a solid QB.  Ehlinger has the mobility to extend plays, but his arm strength causes him problems when needing to thread the needle in an NFL type small separation.  Overall, I give a slight edge to Eason, but these are two QB's worthy of developing and keeping in house.

I thought Ellington threaded the needle on that scoring drive he lead.  Of course, that may have exerted all his strength, but he did it.

Both of the QBs had uneven games

Notes

- Eason has a strong arm and can put some heat on the ball when needed

- I loved the touch pass to Campbell

- Eason has very little pocket presence and cannot seem to sense the pocket collapsing

- Eason takes a VERY LONG time to go thru his reads

- Sam E. seems to decide much quicker, (Not all great decisions)

- Sam E. rolls out and you just sort of feel he will get the 1st with his legs

Neither is a star at this point

Neither is as good as Wentz

Id like to see what Sam E. and Eason can do with more of the starting line intact.

If nothing else improves, and Wentz cant go day 1, I would still not be surprised to see Sam E. get week one start

• Like 2

It’s all a moot point. We’re probably going to carry both on the 53 this year because Wentz vacation status makes them significantly more likely to play. And how surprising would it be to see Frank use them both over the course of a game? Let Eason run about 60% and Ehlinger run the rest. Something like that. We had Jacoby packages last year, and that became more regular as the season went along. I dunno if they’d do it to Wentz, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them do that with Wentz out. 

29 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Both of the QBs had uneven games

Notes

- Eason has a strong arm and can put some heat on the ball when needed

- I loved the touch pass to Campbell

- Eason has very little pocket presence and cannot seem to sense the pocket collapsing

- Eason takes a VERY LONG time to go thru his reads

- Sam E. seems to decide much quicker, (Not all great decisions)

- Sam E. rolls out and you just sort of feel he will get the 1st with his legs

Neither is a star at this point

Neither is as good as Wentz

Id like to see what Sam E. and Eason can do with more of the starting line intact.

If nothing else improves, and Wentz cant go day 1, I would still not be surprised to see Sam E. get week one start

I don’t think anyone thinks either is a star or as good as Wentz but both showed signs that they can play in the NFL which is what you want from a backup QB and is what people were hoping to see today given that neither had taken a NFL snap before today.

• Like 1

I just read the play by play, and Jacob had 4 big plays (passes over 20 yds.) to Sam’s 2.  However, one of those plays was THE biggest play, 47 yds.  Now I know Jacob has the bigger arm, but this shows Sam can throw downfield.  I’m rooting for both to improve their weaknesses, and boy today was fun watching preseason for me!!!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I just read the play by play, and Jacob had 4 big plays (passes over 20 yds.) to Sam’s 2.  However, one of those plays was THE biggest play, 47 yds.  Now I know Jacob has the bigger arm, but this shows Sam can throw downfield.  I’m rooting for both to improve their weaknesses, and boy today was fun watching preseason for me!!!

We have discussed this. It’s not throwing down the middle of the field that gives a QB a good arm. It’s throwing to the boundary and outside the numbers. Not sure Sam could of made the two touch throws to Campbell and Strachan. His balk might of fluttered too much. It was clear he can only make certain throws. We will see what happens next week. Sam will get a lot more weapons then Eason had.

We will have much more checkdowns to running backs and running plays in a real game .

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm actually kind of enjoying this battle. It's fun. They are put in a situation where they both need to perform and the outcome is not decided in advance. I love that both of them are actually showing why they were drafted by the Colts. Both have their strong sides, both have their warts... and both are pushing eachother to be better and neither of them is actually crumbling under the pressure. 

Either of them starting week 1 won't be ideal, but I also feel like if the rest of the team is good enough we can actually survive it for a week or two. 

I'm still not sure who I want in(my default preference has been on Eason), but we have a few more games and 3 weeks of camp for the coaching staff to make that decision IF it's needed. And until then I will enjoy the back and forth... It's been surprisingly fun to follow and watch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I thought Eason was getting better, the big sack was painful but not a lot he could do. He definitely has an NFL arm. Sam was pretty good, nifty player that could give some d's fits if they're not prepared for his legs. The pick was awful, but he does seem to have a good grasp on how to play small ball and succeed. I like both these kids and I believe we'll have a much better idea after Ehlinger's start.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Like jacoby meant good fastball and too slow.  Should be a paragraph.  JB wouldn’t throw downfield.

When comparing arm strength or ball velocity, don't forget that Eason tested as being one of the hardest throwers...EVER.  if Eason is the comparison, Sam will always look bad.

I didn't see Sam play, but Eason seems to have a hitch in his wind up and release. Brings the ball down slowly then up and over fast.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I just watched the highlights and all I can say is wow by our WRs and damn if Eason can't throw a pretty ball. 

Ehlingers windup was painfully slow. 

I saw Eason but not Sam.  I thought Eason's wind up was painfully slow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I’ll have keep an eye on that next game, I thought he just took a bit long going through his reads. I don’t think he had the Byron Leftwich classic windup or I’d spotted that immediately.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I’ll have keep an eye on that next game, I thought he just took a bit long going through his reads. I don’t think he had the Byron Leftwich classic windup or I’d spotted that immediately.

I think he has a little of both issues.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Eason was much faster in getting the ball out over Sam. Sam was hesitant which is why he ran the ball. I was watching Charlotte on their local station and they were commenting that Sam had open receivers but was running instead.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Eason was much faster in getting the ball out over Sam. Sam was hesitant which is why he ran the ball. I was watching Charlotte on their local station and they were commenting that Sam had open receivers but was running instead.

WOW that is a different perspective!

43 minutes ago, MPStack said:

It may be a lack of proper coaching.  There is a technique where the QB should not bring the ball down, always try to keep it shoulder high (physics prevents that, but always strive).  Bringing the ball down is bad for a QB like it is a basketball Center, it can get swatted away easier.

These are both backup QBs.  That's probably their ceiling for the near/mid future.

But I thought they both did well.

My goodness, this was their very first NFL game.  Rookie QBs struggle through the entire first season, and these guys did as well as any rookie QB, IMO.  Even the big named starters.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm actually kind of enjoying this battle. It's fun. They are put in a situation where they both need to perform and the outcome is not decided in advance. I love that both of them are actually showing why they were drafted by the Colts. Both have their strong sides, both have their warts... and both are pushing eachother to be better and neither of them is actually crumbling under the pressure. 

Either of them starting week 1 won't be ideal, but I also feel like if the rest of the team is good enough we can actually survive it for a week or two. 

I'm still not sure who I want in(my default preference has been on Eason), but we have a few more games and 3 weeks of camp for the coaching staff to make that decision IF it's needed. And until then I will enjoy the back and forth... It's been surprisingly fun to follow and watch.

It was really nice to see them in the professional game looking quite functional. 

Eason can throw the d*** ball very well, but will have to develop his pocket awareness, better touch at times, etc. It's great that he is getting all this work. Just try to imagine his mental work load, and then trying to figure out the physical side too. 

Do you expect things should be slowing down a great deal yet? Heck no!

Maybe after next years camp.

We have us a baby Brees in Sam. He looked comfortable out there doing the things he knows he can do. He can be better than Jacoby soon, very soon.

• Like 3

I think they both did well all things considered. They both have a long way to go, but they both made some great plays. Eason had some good long strikes, Ehlinger had fewer but still good. Also, Sam picked up 3 first downs with his feet AND got the 2-point conversion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

That kind of sounds like Jacoby.

7 hours ago, stitches said:

It has made the preseason games interesting. I like the energy young QB bring.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

It may be a lack of proper coaching.  There is a technique where the QB should not bring the ball down, always try to keep it shoulder high (physics prevents that, but always strive).  Bringing the ball down is bad for a QB like it is a basketball Center, it can get swatted away easier.

These are both backup QBs.  That's probably their ceiling for the near/mid future.

But I thought they both did well.

My goodness, this was their very first NFL game.  Rookie QBs struggle through the entire first season, and these guys did as well as any rookie QB, IMO.  Even the big named starters.

Someone put the Wentz/Gruden piece on here and Gruden got all over Wentz for not keeping the ball up with two hands on it, all about ball protection. I recall he asked Wentz to promise to fix "his problem" with this.
 Wentz did not/has not done that yet i believe. He fumbles/get stripped a lot. No doubt Frank rode his * from day one. 
I have zero doubt Eason has been coached on this since high school. And gets it every day here. As noted by many here he is definitely going to get stripped a lot if he doesn't Fix several of pocket problems. Practice practice practice.
 I know we need a guy that can deliver the ball 30+  yards with ALL the downfield weapons we are loaded with. Chunk yardage is coming!!! What a bunch of great catches we got to see sunday. Yippeee!

• Like 1