Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay told Edge to pick a car

jvan1973

For  those that think Irsay has money issues.   His purchases of one of a kind musical pieces for millions should have let you know.   Now he tells EDGE,  any vehicle you want.     There is coarse language in this if you choose to click

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Has anyone ever questioned Irsay as far as money issues? I think even his biggest detractors know the man will spend in a flash.

This is another cool story though. The man learned much from his dad's mistakes.

6 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Has anyone ever questioned Irsay as far as money issues? I think even his biggest detractors know the man will spend in a flash.

This is another cool story though. The man learned much from his dad's mistakes.

It was speculated by some here  that one of the reasons the Colts didn’t spend in free agency was because Irsay ordered Ballard to save money because Irsay didn’t have it.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It was speculated by some here  that one of the reasons the Colts didn’t spend in free agency was because Irsay ordered Ballard to save money because Irsay didn’t have it.

LOL yikes. Glad i missed that. Wow.

Actually upon further reflection, i think he faced similar accusations during the Polian era because the team didnt do that FA dive. Fans are nuts.

Since I’m the loudest about money issues, I’ll respond….

As I’ve stated I previous posts I believe the money issues have little to do with Irsay’s personal issues and EVERYTHING to do with money the Colts get in the area of tickets, luxury suites, corporate sponsor shops,  merchandise,  parking.   The secondary financial issues that smaller market teams have to deal with. 

Buying a former player a luxury car, or buying himself a famous guitar or piano is proof of nothing, financially speaking.   It’s an entirely different thing.  A different pocket.   It does show that Irsay is a generous and I love that about him.   I’ve never said or suggested or hinted anything negative monetarily about Irsay.

I’ve only said he’s the owner of a small market team.   Not his fault.   Nothing to blame.   But I believe it puts us at a competitive disadvantage.   Same with all small market teams.   I like Irsay.  I’ve said that many times. Glad he’s our owner, said that many times too. 

This issue has spun out of control.  Things are being claimed that have never been said by me, and again, I think I’m loudest on this issue.   I’m not trying to say anything negative about Irsay, only that he’s a small market owner.    That’s out of his control.  I’m glad he’s our owner. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Actually, no, that’s certainly NOT what’ve I’ve said.   I have said I wonder why we try to sign players to big contracts with signing bonuses ranging from zero to very small?  I even said I don’t think it proves anything, but it certainly makes me wonder.   I’ve never once used the word “ordered”.    

Now, if you’re talking about another poster — fine.   But if you’re talking about me, then I’m going to correct the facts and defend my position. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually, no, that’s certainly NOT what’ve I’ve said.   I have said I wonder why we try to sign players to big contracts with signing bonuses ranging from zero to very small?  I even said I don’t think it proves anything, but it certainly makes me wonder.   I’ve never once used the word “ordered”.    

Now, if you’re talking about another poster — fine.   But if you’re talking about me, then I’m going to correct the facts and defend my position. 

That I dont think was about you, as I do remember multiple people who have said that on here though.

And the reason for the non S/B is it is easier to cut without it and you dont have to be the Saints

It was also said in local media that the reason Griggs & Pagano weren't fired at the same time was because it was financially beneficial to irsay to wait a year to let go Pagano and thus made him a lame duck coach. It's the norm to fire both GM & HC together and then the new GM brings in a HC of his own choosing. 

30 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

That I dont think was about you, as I do remember multiple people who have said that on here though.

And the reason for the non S/B is it is easier to cut without it and you dont have to be the Saints

I’m not saying there aren’t other reasons….

But cash flow could be a reason.   Notice I use the word could.   I don’t think I can prove my belief.  I only float it as a discussion point. And I’ve stated this before.  I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to prove my belief.   I just don’t accept it as fact that it’s not an issue for the Colts.  

56 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Doesn’t the NFL pay each team around $220 million each year? I’m pretty sure Irsay isn’t paying out of pocket to the players. 

I could be wrong. 

I'm certainly no expert on the financial's of the nfl, in fact far from it. It's not my money so it doesn't interest me lol.

To the Bolded, No I don't think you are. But some teams pocket more of that $220 million more than others. 

Bengals owner Mike Brown comes to mind....colts also are usually among the teams annually with most cap space.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you didn’t say it and I didn’t say you said it why respond?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm certainly no expert on the financial's of the nfl, in fact far from it. It's not my money so it doesn't interest me lol.

To the Bolded, No I don't think you are. But some teams pocket more of that $220 million more than others. 

Bengals owner Mike Brown comes to mind....colts also are usually among the teams annually with most cap space.

Good points.

36 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you didn’t say it and I didn’t say you said it why respond?

Because, as I noted, I believe I’m the person who has pushed this theory the most.   So comments about a generic individual could be about me.  Yes,  they also might not be.  

As I also noted, if this wasn’t about me — fine.    Just covering my bases.  If I’m going to be quoted, I’d at least like it to be accurate.  
Nothing more. 

I’m not saying there aren’t other reasons….

But cash flow could be a reason.   Notice I use the word could.   I don’t think I can prove my belief.  I only float it as a discussion point. And I’ve stated this before.  I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to prove my belief.   I just don’t accept it as fact that it’s not an issue for the Colts.  

Didnt they do S/B under the * that shouldnt be named? I thought it was always a Ballard thing to just not do S/B unless it is for very specific people ala Leonard and Smith, guys who came on this team first, and not a FA

7 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Didnt they do S/B under the * that shouldnt be named? I thought it was always a Ballard thing to just not do S/B unless it is for very specific people ala Leonard and Smith, guys who came on this team first, and not a FA

They did do S/B under Grigson.   And most of those didn’t work out.   Perhaps, that’s why, in part, we try hard not to do it as much any more?    I think that’s entirely possible. 

Believe me, I’m amazed that our financial team is as successful as they are.   I think the top guy is Mike Bluem.   We work financial magic.   We are typically the first or close to the first team to sign it’s entire draft class.   And we find a way to do great with our top players as well.   I don’t know how we do it, but thankful that we somehow do…

• Like 1

They did do S/B under Grigson.   And most of those didn’t work out.   Perhaps, that’s why, in part, we try hard not to do it as much any more?    I think that’s entirely possible. 

Believe me, I’m amazed that our financial team is as successful as they are.   I think the top guy is Mike Bluem.   We work financial magic.   We are typically the first or close to the first team to sign it’s entire draft class.   And we find a way to do great with our top players as well.   I don’t know how we do it, but thankful that we somehow do…

Ya, that is why I am thinking it is based around Ballard views more than anything. It is only when very specific

And ya got one of the best Cap Gurus

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

For  those that think Irsay has money issues.   His purchases of one of a kind musical pieces for millions should have let you know.   Now he tells EDGE,  any vehicle you want.     There is coarse language in this if you choose to click

See if I were Edge, I wouldn’t pick some brand new super car, I’d make Irsay work for it. Something along the lines of a 34 Gramz, or a Mr Norms Dart. Something hard to find but not necessarily bank busting. Make Irsay have to work to find one 

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It's the idea that his coffers may not be as replete with liquid assets as the Joneses and Snyder's of the world, which is very likely true.  Spending 100-200 mil a year doesn't mean you have Jerrahs spending ability.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

LOL yikes. Glad i missed that. Wow.

Actually upon further reflection, i think he faced similar accusations during the Polian era because the team didnt do that FA dive. Fans are nuts.

During the Polian years we were top 10 in salaries.

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It was also said in local media that the reason Griggs & Pagano weren't fired at the same time was because it was financially beneficial to irsay to wait a year to let go Pagano and thus made him a lame duck coach. It's the norm to fire both GM & HC together and then the new GM brings in a HC of his own choosing. 

Good grief! Irsay was just being loyal to Grigson & Chuck because (HE) had mentored them, chose them, and Irsay contributed to some bad decisions. And Chuck had Chuck Strong going on, so Irsay gave them another year for public relations. 
 They even then let Chuck pick some defensive backs because that was his specialty. And he went with that Green kid who stank.
 Yes, Irsay is loyal to a fault, he is no Belichek that is for sure. You take the good with the bad and Loyalty is a wonderful trait in life.
 Forbes 2020 value for the Colts Franchise was $3.25 Billion. In the past it was said the Irsay Empire IS not diversified. It is the Colts.

As far as richest owners, he is the sole owner. I believe many of the listed NFL owners are not sole owners, as they put together groups that own pieces.
 I have made comments here that Irsay may not want to Blow cash for these 1 year free Agents, so as to have it for the Big contracts with guaranteed monies that were coming. Some guaranteed mony is required to be escrowed by the NFL. Not sure where Irsay and the Colts will be on that after Q, and other valuable supporting cast members are signed over the next year or two. But it Could require Many tens of millions into escrow. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think many if any think he's broke lol... I think they might question spending or lack of, in different places. 

If I were Edge, I'd say.... "how about one of those guitars instead of a car"

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Actually a new GM almost never brings in the new HC immediately, far more often they eventually bring their own coach in a year or two after being brought in as a new GM

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

During the Polian years we were top 10 in salaries.

Free agency? I doubt that. He paid big bucks to the guys in house, kinda like Ballard is doing now, but he didnt throw money at free agents which is what folks questioned him for.

22 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think the reason why Irsay kept Pagano after Grigs left is because he felt he owed it to Pagano to let him actually be in control of coaching a team.  It was widely reported that Grigs was calling the shots of who Pagano could play vs. not-play (e.g., Trent Richardson was a bust but Grigs forced Pagano to use him as a bell cow so as not to make Grigs look awful for making such a bad trade to get him).  I didn't think it really had much to do with Irsay's financials -- I think it had more to do with the fact that a lot of players actually seemed to like Pagano and they didn't like Grigs (Pat McAfee has plenty of clips about how much he disliked Grigs and talks about other players also not liking/respecting Grigs).  

7 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Actually a new GM almost never brings in the new HC immediately, far more often they eventually bring their own coach in a year or two after being brought in as a new GM

I can think of far more scenarios where a new GM has the option of retaining an existing coach or bringing in their own than I can scenarios where the GM is essentially forced to keep the current head coach (as was seemingly the case with Ballard).  This instance was pretty odd, as we knew from day 1 Ballard wanted a 4-3 D and Pagano was a 3-4 guy. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think the reason why Irsay kept Pagano after Grigs left is because he felt he owed it to Pagano to let him actually be in control of coaching a team.  It was widely reported that Grigs was calling the shots of who Pagano could play vs. not-play (e.g., Trent Richardson was a bust but Grigs forced Pagano to use him as a bell cow so as not to make Grigs look awful for making such a bad trade to get him).  I didn't think it really had much to do with Irsay's financials -- I think it had more to do with the fact that a lot of players actually seemed to like Pagano and they didn't like Grigs (Pat McAfee has plenty of clips about how much he disliked Grigs and talks about other players also not liking/respecting Grigs).  

I can think of far more scenarios where a new GM has the option of retaining an existing coach or bringing in their own than I can scenarios where the GM is essentially forced to keep the current head coach (as was seemingly the case with Ballard).  This instance was pretty odd, as we knew from day 1 Ballard wanted a 4-3 D and Pagano was a 3-4 guy. 

Reminds me of a sports talk guy who gave a tongue and cheep "New GM 101" rules... It's been a while, but he listed 5 things every new GM should do to extend their time.... 

Rule #1.... Don't fire the coach in the first year. You need to blame someone after your first year failure lol....

Rule #2.... Don't dump your QB too soon. You want to give your new coach someone to blame things on for his first year failures... 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 7:58 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Because, as I noted, I believe I’m the person who has pushed this theory the most.   So comments about a generic individual could be about me.  Yes,  they also might not be.  

As I also noted, if this wasn’t about me — fine.    Just covering my bases.  If I’m going to be quoted, I’d at least like it to be accurate.  
Nothing more. 

You really need to give this up. It was made up out of thin air and has no basis. Indy's revenue isn't bottom of the barrel, more like sandwiched between teams like KC and Tampa.  If cash flow was an issue at all, you think he'd voluntarily give Luck 20M or whatever it was?

Just gave Darius a 20M signing bonus and you'll see a similar one with Q. It's about the cap, not cash. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, wig said:

You really need to give this up. It was made up out of thin air and has no basis. Indy's revenue isn't bottom of the barrel, more like sandwiched between teams like KC and Tampa.  If cash flow was an issue at all, you think he'd voluntarily give Luck 20M or whatever it was?

Just gave Darius a 20M signing bonus and you'll see a similar one with Q. It's about the cap, not cash. 

How do you know where our revenue is ranked?     That’s a serious, honest question.

Do you have a link?

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How do you know where our revenue is ranked?     That’s a serious, honest question.

Do you have a link?

I googles 'revenue by NFL team' and clicked the first link. 

On 8/13/2021 at 7:58 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Nothing more. 

As someone who has pushed back at these claims, I do believe that you're being lumped in with some posters who have gone a step (or two) further than you have on this issue. 

On 8/14/2021 at 1:46 PM, Colt.45 said:

Free agency? I doubt that. He paid big bucks to the guys in house, kinda like Ballard is doing now, but he didnt throw money at free agents which is what folks questioned him for.

Irsay spent at a top 10 level to win is the point i was making.

And of course he kept the players we had developed. It is THE way to Win! FA is long proven to be a losing proposition. Few players match their prior year production with the new team, and average remaining with the new team about 2 years.
 Those fat FA 2nd contracts tend to not bring out the Hungry player level of play that it took to earn the Big new Guaranteed $$$. Funny how that works.