Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colt's opponents: PS Week 1 (schedule/networks/replays/outcome/discussion)

EastStreet

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Uhm, I have to read a post to determine whether or not it’s worth reading? I’m not going to just not read her posts out of hand. 

I don’t have anything against Wentzszn, at all. I think she does a commendable job of keeping us all up to date. I’m commenting on the fact she can’t let go of two young guys competing for a BACK-UP job.

Sam is a 6th round pick who’s widely claimed to have insufficient arm strength for the NFL. Still, he’s come into camp and put in solid work and is competing. OF COURSE the media is going to pick up on it - everybody loves an underdog story. But that’s what it is, an underdog fighting for a chance to be a back-up. It’s hardly worth the 20-30 or so posts she’s made on the matter across several threads, especially when she says it’s getting to her…

This is the last post from me on this topic. I’m not trying to offend anyone, just trying to put it into perspective. 

If you could just get past the false insufficient arm claim, those posts should get under your skin less. Now i do agree it could use a little rest.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Wilson, Fields, Love, Lawrence, Lance, and Jones all looked pretty good.

This isn't great news for the Colts brass. Obviously they're not all going to be worth it, but if they are... Whew... Wentz better be real good, not just okay or the complaining is going to be off the charts before too long.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:17 AM, The Fish said:

This isn't great news for the Colts brass. Obviously they're not all going to be worth it, but if they are... Whew... Wentz better be real good, not just okay or the complaining is going to be off the charts before too long.

It's only one PS game, so not really worried right now. I expect Lawrence to be good early. The rest I still think will take some time. Good crop overall though.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:17 AM, The Fish said:

To tell you the truth Eason looked just as good as they all did. You would never have known he was a 4th round pick and the others were high 1st.

14 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

To tell you the truth Eason looked just as good as they all did. You would never have known he was a 4th round pick and the others were high 1st.

Don't tell anyone I said this, but as of right now, it's not obvious to me that this isn't correct..

The NFL likes mobile QB's right now and to be real honest... why? The last thing I want is my QB taking hits and that's what mobile QB's do. It's awesome until it's not. Pocket QB's win titles, still.

Just now, The Fish said:

Don't tell anyone I said this, but as of right now, it's not obvious to me that this isn't correct..

The NFL likes mobile QB's right now and to be real honest... why? The last thing I want is my QB taking hits and that's what mobile QB's do. It's awesome until it's not. Pocket QB's win titles, still.

I like the traditional pocket passer if he can read defenses, change to the right play, and get rid of the ball quickly and accurately = Peyton, Brady, Rivers. The best mobile QB that could run and throw accurately as well was probably Steve Young. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like the traditional pocket passer if he can read defenses, change to the right play, and get rid of the ball quickly and accurately = Peyton, Brady, Rivers. The best mobile QB that could run and throw accurately as well was probably Steve Young. 

I have always been partial to somewhat mobile QBs but I played and coached in a Wing T Scheme that required mobile QBs

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was my favorite as a kid.. Cunningham as an Eagle was ahead of his time clearly. Elway (he played with no ACL- I'm still blown away by this..). Fran Tarkenton is a guy who's fun to watch old highlights of. That guy had stones to play the game that way when the D could obliterate the guy with the ball. 

Guys have had success playing the game as a mobile QB.. I just don't trust that athletic/running the ball traits result in good QB play often enough to desire this above simply being a quality passer and a quick read on the D. 

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He was my favorite as a kid.. Cunningham as an Eagle was ahead of his time clearly. Elway (he played with no ACL- I'm still blown away by this..). Fran Tarkenton is a guy who's fun to watch old highlights of. That guy had stones to play the game that way when the D could obliterate the guy with the ball. 

Guys have had success doing playing the game as a mobile QB.. I just don't trust that athletic/running the ball traits result in good QB play often enough to desire this above simply being a quality passer and a quick read on the D. 

Yeah Fran was the tone setter no doubt. Cunningham was a freak of nature. He was good. Lamar Jackson today is very dangerous, he has great speed and he is a better than average passer. I would build a franchise around him but I would be worried about him getting injured because of his style of play.

To me I have John Elway in my top 5 QB's of all-time. Right at #5.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Fran was the tone setter no doubt. Cunningham was a freak of nature. He was good. Lamar Jackson today is very dangerous, he has great speed and he is a better than average passer. I would build a franchise around him but I would be worried about him getting injured because of his style of play.

To me I have John Elway in my top 5 QB's of all-time. Right at #5.

You know who's a mildly interesting test case is the guy on tv right now.. Trubisky.. he clearly has some quality traits when up against the 2's but is a touch off the mark against the 1's and thinks to run a lot. 

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You know who's a mildly interesting test case is the guy on tv right now.. Trubisky.. he clearly has some quality traits when up against the 2's but is a touch off the mark against the 1's and thinks to run a lot. 

He is the type of guy that will probably always be considered a guy that can start for some teams but just not good enough to take a team deep in the playoffs. As a backup, I would take him easily like I would Jacoby. What amazes me is Fitzmagic, he can look like a top 10 QB in the league for 4 or 5 weeks in a row, then he stinks for 4 or 5 games.

Just some notes on games so far....

Chiefs/Cards

• Anthony Gordon didn't play a lot, but looked good at QB. Was 7 for 7. All of KC's depth QBs looked good. Mahomes, not so much lol. Murray didn't play a lot either, and didn't look great.
  • Daurice Fountain had a great game for KC. 2nd in receiving yards.

Eagles

• Poor Sirianni.... 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wilson looking good again for the Jets. 

8-10 for 110 and a TD.

Everyone was on him after not looking good in practice . He had to explain to reporters you always try things in practice you may not do in a game. You want to see if you can do it.  This is why you always have to take TC practice with a grain of salt.

56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just some notes on games so far....

Chiefs/Cards

• Anthony Gordon didn't play a lot, but looked good at QB. Was 7 for 7. All of KC's depth QBs looked good. Mahomes, not so much lol. Murray didn't play a lot either, and didn't look great.
  • Daurice Fountain had a great game for KC. 2nd in receiving yards.

Eagles

• Poor Sirianni.... 

Glad  to hear that about Fountain. Eagles look like a disaster.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Everyone was on him after not looking good in practice . He had to explain to reporters you always try things in practice you may not do in a game. You want to see if you can do it.  This is why you always have to take TC practice with a grain of salt.

You have to practice well of course, but it's more about effort. If you're trying new things, have to expect bumps. That's what camp, and practice in general is for. He'll be fine.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Glad  to hear that about Fountain. Eagles look like a disaster.

I think we used Fountain the wrong way (moved him around too much). Not saying he'll make KC's roster, but he's doing well when given a chance. He'll definitely hang around at least on someone's PS. He's got some good athleticism, at least he did before the injury. 

Might be a long long year for Sirianni. The bright side, is they might have a very early draft pick in the 1st, plus ours.... 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Get to see Lawrence tonight. Winston and Hill for the Saints too.

I don't really care about Hill at all, and doubt he's legit, but I am look forward to seeing the two others. 

Also going to re-watch the Colts game tonight. Had to stream it live, but have it on my DVR now. 

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am rooting for him. Contrary to what people think he is a great guy and his teammates love him.  

He's had some bad moments. I think those are behind him.

I'm all for 2nd chances.

I predicted he'd do well outside of the risk it biscuit offense...

Heck, even Brady has made TB his own scheme. Not a ton of risk it biscuit. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's had some bad moments. I think those are behind him.

I'm all for 2nd chances.

I predicted he'd do well outside of the risk it biscuit offense...

Heck, even Brady has made TB his own scheme. Not a ton of risk it biscuit. 

He seems to be settled in his life and a mature adult now. Married with two young kids. Saints offense will look a lot different then the last few years with him at QB. I don’t think Arians personality fit well with him. Arians doesnt have the patience. Peyton was a perfect coach for him.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He seems to be settled in his life and a mature adult now. Married with two young kids. Saints offense will look a lot different then the last few years with him at QB. I don’t think Arians personality fit well with him. Arians doesnt have the patience. Peyton was a perfect coach for him.

I like a lot of things about Arians, but it took Brady tweaking his scheme to bring them a SB.

Payton is a good guy. I think more flexible, and will tailor a scheme around the player.

Not sure it will look totally different, but I do expect a few more deep shots a game.

Archived