Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 13-Panthers joint practice (8/12)

Wentzszn

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

Can you listen to it through there app? That's what I do or just listen to the podcast. 

My whole thing is if I’m going to listen to my phone I’m listening to my music or podcast and not listening to commercials lol

8 minutes ago, twfish said:

My whole thing is if I’m going to listen to my phone I’m listening to my music or podcast and not listening to commercials lol

Well if you listen to the podcast after it’s over they cut out all the commercials.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Irsay compared Sam to Joe Montana today. lol. He says you never know when you have the next Brady or Montana.

I love Jimbo, but sometimes he really needs to learn when to pump the brakes lol

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I love Jimbo, but sometimes he really needs to learn when to pump the brakes lol

When I went back and listened it was as bad as it sounded. He was basically comparing them because everyone says Sam is too small   Or his arm is week. It was mort about overcoming obstacles and just finding ways to get things done.

• Haha 1

Here is Matt Rhules presser if you interested. Interesting what he says about the oline and dline. Basically saying you really can’t tell anything until a game because of practice rules.

25 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Here is Matt Rhules presser if you interested. Interesting what he says about the oline and dline. Basically saying you really can’t tell anything until a game because of practice rules.

That's coach speak for we got our collective arses handed to us today......lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I am going to respond....and it's going to be a bit lengthy, but it is not directed at you. More, it is directed at the line of thought that you shared....which is shared by many fans.

Jim Irsay is far and away, the most unique owner in the NFL. This begins with the fact that he is FIRST....a fan. NFL owners are billionaires. Jim is far from your average NFL owner. Most billionaires fly their jets to Nova Scotia, or maybe even to their own private island. They are private. They almost never speak in public. This may be the type of owner that some fans want. It makes me think...how sad. 

Jim was a young boy in the locker room when Johnny Unitas was in the Colts locker room. Jim got to witness the private side of both NFL ownership...and NFL lockers rooms.......across decades! I could be wrong, but it would be my assumption that he has seen and experienced a greater swath of reality about the NFL, than any owner ever has. He is extremely unique in this. 

He has seen stuff that most owners have not. When Jim says, "You never know when you have the next Brady or Montana", then by god, he actually has the right to say that.....because he has lived it. 

Tell me folks. This season we are getting videos of coaches and players after days in camp! After a preseason joint practice! How freaking cool is that? Jim signed off on this. You know why? Because first and foremost, he is a fan. even when fans degrade him, he smiles, and still believes with all his heart. God freaking bless him. Hell, he even made an appearance on Patty Macs no rules program. I am confident that no owner other than Jim would be that frank in public.

What does Jim do with his billionaire caesh? He buys freaking cool guitars and pianos, and writes checks for whatever his team needs. He uses his jet to fly sick people to hospitals, He flies former players to HOF inductions. He gives, and he gives, and he gives, and he gives. But down deep? He just wants to see the Colts win.....for everyone. 

So for me, if there was a mount Rushmore of NFL owners....Jim is on it. He epitomizes everything that an NFL owner should be. 

Enjoy him while he is still with us. Colts fans are very fortunate to get the real Jim....whether they realize it or not. 

I wish I could hit the like button like a 100 times for this post.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I am going to respond....and it's going to be a bit lengthy, but it is not directed at you. More, it is directed at the line of thought that you shared....which is shared by many fans.

Jim Irsay is far and away, the most unique owner in the NFL. This begins with the fact that he is FIRST....a fan. NFL owners are billionaires. Jim is far from your average NFL owner. Most billionaires fly their jets to Nova Scotia, or maybe even to their own private island. They are private. They almost never speak in public. This may be the type of owner that some fans want. It makes me think...how sad. 

Jim was a young boy in the locker room when Johnny Unitas was in the Colts locker room. Jim got to witness the private side of both NFL ownership...and NFL lockers rooms.......across decades! I could be wrong, but it would be my assumption that he has seen and experienced a greater swath of reality about the NFL, than any owner ever has. He is extremely unique in this. 

He has seen stuff that most owners have not. When Jim says, "You never know when you have the next Brady or Montana", then by god, he actually has the right to say that.....because he has lived it. 

Tell me folks. This season we are getting videos of coaches and players after days in camp! After a preseason joint practice! How freaking cool is that? Jim signed off on this. You know why? Because first and foremost, he is a fan. even when fans degrade him, he smiles, and still believes with all his heart. God freaking bless him. Hell, he even made an appearance on Patty Macs no rules program. I am confident that no owner other than Jim would be that frank in public.

What does Jim do with his billionaire caesh? He buys freaking cool guitars and pianos, and writes checks for whatever his team needs. He uses his jet to fly sick people to hospitals, He flies former players to HOF inductions. He gives, and he gives, and he gives, and he gives. But down deep? He just wants to see the Colts win.....for everyone. 

So for me, if there was a mount Rushmore of NFL owners....Jim is on it. He epitomizes everything that an NFL owner should be. 

Enjoy him while he is still with us. Colts fans are very fortunate to get the real Jim....whether they realize it or not. 

I like Jim a lot, but I think you have a very limited view (perhaps purely because you're not in their local markets) of the owners around the league. I've lived in several states, have traveled a ton, and have a bunch of friends all over the US who are huge fans of their teams. I'd say Jim is one of the funniest. The word you used, unique, that's a pretty broad adjective. There are several I'd say are as unique. Different types of people sure, perhaps more serious, but just as unique, and certainly many are "characters". And not sure I know many owners that are not mega football fans. Most, except some of the very few newbs, grew up around their teams. And several owners are well known for flying folks around. Off the top of my head, Jones, Blank, Kraft, the Tischs, Benson, Rooney, are just a few. The biggest differentiator IMO, is Jim is probably the most active on social media (some like it, some don't). Also, the market I'm in, the local team is giving as much or more "media" out during the preseason.

5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Meh sounds like sentimentality to me.  I just want the Colts to win.  And you are entitled to be sentimental if thats part of it, and that’s cool, it’s just that I and probably others don’t really care about it in an owner.  And this too isn’t solely directed at you 4-2.

i dont think it’s a good business decision to extend Ballard and Reich right now. Its unnecessary too.  They had plenty of time left to see how things work out.  Though I like both guys, I think they have some work to do.  He did the same with Griggs and Pags, and that didn’t work out too well.  Why extend now?  They aren’t players you have to work under the cap.  Irsay held on to Griggs and Pags too long IMO.

For me it’s just win baby.  Al Davis meddled when the game had passed him by. But I like that phrase.

Colts fans and probably Hoosiers in general have an over inflated sense of righteousness IMO.  They look down their noses at the Irvin’s and Sapps for cola and weed instead of accepting them as winning ballers.  And I am perdy certain that there have been plenty of Colts players who have used coke and I KNOW FOR A FACT weed.

I don’t want rapists and murderers on the team, but the league and common decency usually takes care of this.  Plus Colts fans like to be righteous with the Ray Lewis type of situation and bash in NE for the Hernandez situation.  But our own presumed choir boy HOF receiver was involved in that one thing where a dude died.  
I’m just telling you I know our HOF QB is not a choir boy.  Doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t good people but we arent superior to other teams.

irsay seems like a sincere dude but looks like to me he has trouble holding his liquor and handling his buzz, and it doesn’t look like whatever he’s imbibed over his life has done him any health favors.  And I ain’t judging either, im far from a choir boy.  (Well actually I was a choir boy like I sang in choirs but you know what I mean). I’m just saying Irsay and the Colts haven’t cornered the “morality” market.  

I actually think Irsays sentimentality causes the team to underachieve.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Meh sounds like sentimentality to me.  I just want the Colts to win.  And you are entitled to be sentimental if thats part of it, and that’s cool, it’s just that I and probably others don’t really care about it in an owner.  And this too isn’t solely directed at you 4-2.

i dont think it’s a good business decision to extend Ballard and Reich right now. Its unnecessary too.  They had plenty of time left to see how things work out.  Though I like both guys, I think they have some work to do.  He did the same with Griggs and Pags, and that didn’t work out too well.  Why extend now?  They aren’t players you have to work under the cap.  Irsay held on to Griggs and Pags too long IMO.

For me it’s just win baby.  Al Davis meddled when the game had passed him by. But I like that phrase.

Colts fans and probably Hoosiers in general have an over inflated sense of righteousness IMO.  They look down their noses at the Irvin’s and Sapps for cola and weed instead of accepting them as winning ballers.  And I am perdy certain that there have been plenty of Colts players who have used coke and I KNOW FOR A FACT weed.

I don’t want rapists and murderers on the team, but the league and common decency usually takes care of this.  Plus Colts fans like to be righteous with the Ray Lewis type of situation and bash in NE for the Hernandez situation.  But our own presumed choir boy HOF receiver was involved in that one thing where a dude died.  
I’m just telling you I know our HOF QB is not a choir boy.  Doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t good people but we arent superior to other teams.

irsay seems like a sincere dude but looks like to me he has trouble holding his liquor and handling his buzz, and it doesn’t look like whatever he’s imbibed over his life has done him any health favors.  And I ain’t judging either, im far from a choir boy.  (Well actually I was a choir boy like I sang in choirs but you know what I mean). I’m just saying Irsay and the Colts haven’t cornered the “morality” market.  

I actually think Irsays sentimentality causes the team to underachieve.

I wouldn't have signed Frank just yet. From what I understand Reich asked for Wentz and pushed it. In my eyes Wentz and Frank should be tied at the hip. I trust Ballard for the most part, if Carson doesn't work out I'm interested to see how things unravel. Wentz is a gamble, this team can win it all with an prime Alex Smith. Come on Carson be our Alex Smith....

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Oh, because fans of teams that didn't employee (and aren't the Colts) those guys never make fun of Irvin or Sapp or drop the "Americas Cola (cute) Wagon", joke. 

Not to go to far down this rabbit hole (I could though, because this kind of thing is annoying), but this looks like a total "I know you are, but what am I" type of argumentation. 

From the tidbits I've seen on here:

Pittman is getting better at his deep route running. Just got pushed to the boundary. Barely incomplete. 

Even though Rhodes got beat he recovers very well, and got sure handed contact on the WR each time. 

--Same kind of thought with RYS, at least he punched the ball. You can see a different level of energy between him and the WR. I really liked that. 

Vollert looks to be faster than Doyle for sure. I think he might emerge over Doyle at some point. Pretty sure I heard somewhere (I don't remember where) that Doyle is retiring this year. 

DeMichael Harris still looks like a freak.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

From the tidbits I've seen on here:

Pittman is getting better at his deep route running. Just got pushed to the boundary. Barely incomplete. 

Even though Rhodes got beat he recovers very well, and got sure handed contact on the WR each time. 

--Same kind of thought with RYS, at least he punched the ball. You can see a different level of energy between him and the WR. I really liked that. 

Vollert looks to be faster than Doyle for sure. I think he might emerge over Doyle at some point. Pretty sure I heard somewhere (I don't remember where) that Doyle is retiring this year. 

DeMichael Harris still looks like a freak.

By all accounts I have seen Doyle has had a really good camp. He had a TD yesterday in 11-11. There were some reports he was going to retire after the season. But seeing his presser at the beginning of camp I think he will finish his contract and play in 22. He loved the game too much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

By all accounts I have seen Doyle has had a really good camp. He had a TD yesterday in 11-11. There were some reports he was going to retire after the season. But seeing his presser at the beginning of camp I think he will finish his contract and play in 22. He loved the game too much.

I know I heard people were say ing he dropped quite a few balls this camp too. 

5 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I know I heard people were say ing he dropped quite a few balls this camp too. 

I don’t remember that. Maybe like the first day or two. But people have said he looks faster then last year. He said he had a lot of family stuff and some lagging injuries last season that got in his head. So maybe he feels a lot better this season.

• Like 1

Bowen posted the following injury report for Thursday's practice:

Injury Report: The following players did not appear to be participating at Thursday’s practice: LB-Darius Leonard (ankle), C-Ryan Kelly (elbow), QB-Carson Wentz (foot), DT-Taylor Stallworth (hamstring), LG-Quenton Nelson (foot), LB-Jordan Glasgow (back), TE-Mo Alie-Cox (knee), TE-Noah Togiai, LB-Skai Moore, WR-Ashton Dulin, S-Julian Blackmon (knee), DE-Kwity Paye (ankle), DT-DeForest Buckner (foot). Frank Reich said the Colts are being extra cautious with Buckner.

The Colts had these injuries after practice RB-Nyheim Hines (got his leg whipped), C-Danny Pinter (foot), E.J. Speed (knee) and S-Shawn Davis. Speed’s looked the most serious, as he went down immediately in a special teams drill grabbing his knee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I wouldn't have signed Frank just yet. From what I understand Reich asked for Wentz and pushed it. In my eyes Wentz and Frank should be tied at the hip. I trust Ballard for the most part, if Carson doesn't work out I'm interested to see how things unravel. Wentz is a gamble, this team can win it all with an prime Alex Smith. Come on Carson be our Alex Smith....

Drafting a rookie QB is even more of a gamble than Wentz talent wise (in spite of his one bad year statistically). Injuries are the main thing we should worry about, not his talent. Having said that, Alex Smith didn't win with a good Chiefs team, what makes you think he would win with the Colts?

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

Oh, because fans of teams that didn't employee (and aren't the Colts) those guys never make fun of Irvin or Sapp or drop the "Americas Cola (cute) Wagon", joke. 

Not to go to far down this rabbit hole (I could though, because this kind of thing is annoying), but this looks like a total "I know you are, but what am I" type of argumentation. 

I am a proud SW Indiana Hoosier man, don't get me wrong; and I am sure that I exhibit elements of the type of attitude I am talking about.  But I do think we Colts fans and Hoosiers in general tend to be a little Better than Thou.

The point is that I don't think our owner is necessarily anything special. It appears to me that he has held on to guys past the expiration date sometimes.  He seems like a sincere, well meaning dude.  But I don't see any evidence he's better than any other owner.

I also don't think our players are better in character necessarily than any other team (nor worse at all man), but I do think sometimes fellow Hoosiers like to feel like Indiana franchises emphasize "character".  

For me, I'll take guys with questionable character if they can ball because IMO everyone has questionable character but some are pretty open while most are pretty quiet.

I don't think Colts fans, owners, players, Hoosiers in general, etc. are necessarily and demonstrably "better" than any other team's.

I am sure there are some owners who have less character than Mr. Irsay, but I just don't see him as special.  That's all.

And as far as an owner goes, I am not sure that Mr. Irsay is all that good with hiring and managing his managers.

Lot's of Colts fans don't realize how lucky we've been.  We have drafted arguably the the most highly rated QBs in my lifetime, the last 50 years.  Lawrence is the only guy I can think of as universally lauded as Elway, Manning, and Luck.  I don't necessarily think that Ownership and Management maximized our ability to win in that time.  And as a fan, I watch football to root on my team to win rather than learning how to be a better citizen. 

And I like good citizen players too, I just wouldn't mind seeing Antonio Brown here for example.  He's working out pretty good with the Tom the Hothead Whisperer.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I am a proud SW Indiana Hoosier man, don't get me wrong; and I am sure that I exhibit elements of the type of attitude I am talking about.  But I do think we Colts fans and Hoosiers in general tend to be a little Better than Thou.

The point is that I don't think our owner is necessarily anything special. It appears to me that he has held on to guys past the expiration date sometimes.  He seems like a sincere, well meaning dude.  But I don't see any evidence he's better than any other owner.

I also don't think our players are better in character necessarily than any other team (nor worse at all man), but I do think sometimes fellow Hoosiers like to feel like Indiana franchises emphasize "character".  

For me, I'll take guys with questionable character if they can ball because IMO everyone has questionable character but some are pretty open while most are pretty quiet.

I don't think Colts fans, owners, players, Hoosiers in general, etc. are necessarily and demonstrably "better" than any other team's.

I am sure there are some owners who have less character than Mr. Irsay, but I just don't see him as special.  That's all.

And as far as an owner goes, I am not sure that Mr. Irsay is all that good with hiring and managing his managers.

Lot's of Colts fans don't realize how lucky we've been.  We have drafted arguably the the most highly rated QBs in my lifetime, the last 50 years.  Lawrence is the only guy I can think of as universally lauded as Elway, Manning, and Luck.  I don't necessarily think that Ownership and Management maximized our ability to win in that time.  And as a fan, I watch football to root on my team to win rather than learning how to be a better citizen. 

And I like good citizen players too, I just wouldn't mind seeing Antonio Brown here for example.  He's working out pretty good with the Tom the Hothead Whisperer.

I gathered this from your first post, I just don't agree that there's any greater or lesser "holier than thou" going on here than elsewhere for one reason or another, as it pertains to attitudes about athletes or anything else really. But to the point about why Irsay show's a bit of deference to vets where maybe others wouldn't, it's a part of his method to diagnose the "no one want's to be in Indiana" issue (which I do find plenty of) with pro athletes/free agents. It's also maybe exaggerated to some degree, but we can all point to a few examples of guys getting deference where maybe they shouldn't have.. Vinny cough.. 

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I gathered this from your first post, I just don't agree that there's any greater or lesser "holier than thou" going on here than elsewhere for one reason or another, as it pertains to attitudes about athletes or anything else really. But to the point about why Irsay show's a bit of deference to vets where maybe others wouldn't, it's a part of his method to diagnose the "no one want's to be in Indiana" issue (which I do find plenty of) with pro athletes/free agents. It's also maybe exaggerated to some degree, but we can all point to a few examples of guys getting deference where maybe they shouldn't have.. Vinny cough.. 

Cool.  That bolded is something I hadn't heard of or thought about before.  Makes sense.  Don't know if it's working but it does make sense.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Drafting a rookie QB is even more of a gamble than Wentz talent wise (in spite of his one bad year statistically). Injuries are the main thing we should worry about, not his talent. Having said that, Alex Smith didn't win with a good Chiefs team, what makes you think he would win with the Colts?

We have a very talented roster. I believe a lot of great QBs would give an arm and leg to have the key to the Colts car. Roger's would leave GB in a heartbeat to be here.

3 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

We have a very talented roster. I believe a lot of great QBs would give an arm and leg to have the key to the Colts car. Roger's would leave GB in a heartbeat to be here.

Perhaps, perhaps not. The only "rumors" were Stafford, Darnold and Wentz as far as I remember......Either way, Wentz is our guy for the time being....

8 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

They were discussing exactly this on good morning football regarding Sam and Jacob. Rarely does a 4th or 6th rd pick get to come in and get starting reps and a chance to start. 

I would much rather draft our backup QB then go out and try to find some journeyman vet. I think the chances of success with a young guy you draft is far greater then with some journeyman vet.

Very few teams have good backups. Looks like WA has a pretty good one. Brissett is a pretty good backup in Miami. 

For these two rookies to have a opportunity with such a good team is so rare. This could help them in the future with another team or with the colts.

• Like 1