Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard and Frank Reich given extensions through 2026

So Dakich is on the air..... Talking about the extensions, and claiming that "Polian hired This current regime after Josh McDaniels backed out" in reference to both Ballard and Reich.... Wth Dan.... I know this is your shtick, but geeze... So far up Grigsons backside he thinks Polian hired Ballard and Reich, after the coach candidate that Ballard tried to hire backed out on them ...lmao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOVE the Ballard extension, so-so on the Reich one. In any case, it'll be nice to have some stability the next 5 years at the GM/HC position and hopefully the QB position. I just hope we can keep our scouts for the most part, already lost a few coaches.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

But does it really matter though? Contracts to GM and HC doesn’t count against any team cap - they are in a sense just paid by Irsay. If it doesn’t work out and they get fired, the hit is on Irsay not the team. 

Does anything really matter?!

If you're trying to create a culture of accountability and other cliché's that permeate football.. you need some leverage as I see it. I'm not saying this is a bad thing (I said it was a good thing, ultimately), I'm just saying they wouldn't have gotten that much rope from me, arm chair, imaginary owner.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

So Dakich is on the air..... Talking about the extensions, and claiming that "Polian hired This current regime after Josh McDaniels backed out" in reference to both Ballard and Reich.... Wth Dan.... I know this is your shtick, but geeze... So far up Grigsons backside he thinks Polian hired Ballard and Reich, after the coach candidate that Ballard tried to hire backed out on them ...lmao

When Kraft manipulated Daniel's to back out, I believe irsay reached out to Dungy,Polian, and maybe even Peyton to help them move forward. 

I could be wrong but I think that's what happened. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

I agree. I like them both as leaders and as men of character. I am glad that they are not coaching or managing other franchises besides the Colts. But, this is a performance business; sooner rather than later, the Colts will need to have something to show for all of their efforts. If they can't prove that they can win the division consistently, or at least make an extended playoff run, that might not be enough. Is it good enough for the Colts to just be a good team with good coaches and managers every year?  Or is the goal to become a dominant team who consistently competes on a championship level? I guess that question can only be answered by the ownership and management. 

Have to be a good team before you are a championship team. Probably a bit too early to judge the ceiling of this team, but I also don't think it will take 6 more seasons. 

31 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Dakich is a turd because Ballard was already in place.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Polian was an influencer in some way for Reich, since Reich got his coaching start with the Colts during Polian's tenure. Ballard has even admitted that he didn't even have Reich in his top 5 list, so I don't think he just defaulted to Reich without some trusted influence. But to say Polian "hired" Reich is dumb.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If you're trying to create a culture of accountability and other cliché's that permeate football.. you need some leverage as I see it. I'm not saying this is a bad thing (I said it was a good thing, ultimately), I'm just saying they wouldn't have gotten that much rope from me, arm chair, imaginary owner.   

The rope is more symbolic at this point because things can change. But the money is very real.

Wonder if owners can structure contracts for execs and coaches like they do for players, with x amount gtd and an out after 2-3 years with little dead cap.

I agree...this is a good thing regardless. Doesn't mean we still can't have a discussion about it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

The rope is more symbolic at this point because things can change. But the money is very real.

Wonder if owners can structure contracts for execs and coaches like they do for players, with x amount gtd and an out after 2-3 years with little dead cap.

I agree...this is a good thing regardless. Doesn't mean we still can't have a discussion about it. 

Coach and GM salary is 100% guaranteed 

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Polian was an influencer in some way for Reich, since Reich got his coaching start with the Colts during Polian's tenure. Ballard has even admitted that he didn't even have Reich in his top 5 list, so I don't think he just defaulted to Reich without some trusted influence. But to say Polian "hired" Reich is dumb.

Yes, I think DD had a brain fart about "Regime", it happens.  Polian did not hire Ballard.  He was consulted about HCs and Reich in particular, since Reich played for Polian.   IIRC from when McDaniels backed out.

DD stretching the envelope by the hyperbole of "hiring" him is radio personality schtick.

13 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

100 percent.    

Irsay hired Ballard.   Polian recommended Ballard interview Reich after McDaniels pulled his stunt.   I think ultimately, it was Ballard’s and Irsay’s final call and not Polian who hired Frank. 

34 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, not a bad point. What I like about long contracts for the GM is that they will be willing to take the long term view instead of stupid short term decisions to save their own job for one more year. In any event, I’m getting the impression that Irsay is probably the most win-now minded of the three. haha

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Coach and GM salary is 100% guaranteed 

Not for nothing, I think this is mostly true, I don’t think it’s always true.   

I’ve seen stories about other coaches where the last year is an option year that is not picked up and not guaranteed.    I don’t think this happens very often, just time to time and typically involves lesser known hires. 

Congrats to them, I guess... :dunno: 

At the very least we now know where Irsay stands with Ballard and Reich. It's probably not a complete carte blanche, but it's very likely both of them survive a potential Wentz flop now. To be fair, I probably would keep Ballard too, even if Wentz flops. 

And if Wentz doesn't flop and we seem like a team set up with a franchise QB and good roster, Irsay probably got ahead of a decision that might have cost him even more in the future for both of them, which would be a good business decision in addition to good football decision.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just gonna have to say this. Irsay also gave Grigson and Pagano extensions linking them to the same time line... then fired them each within 2 years...

now I do not think Ballard or Reich are anywhere near a hot seat, just saying this doesn’t mean that if they are fully “safe”

• Like 1

If Ballard and Reich had drafted QB and continually failed finding one they would  deserve to be on the hot see. But the fact everything that has happened with the QB situation has really been out of their  control they deserve grace. We are now though getting far enough away from Luck fiasco they now can’t use that as a excuse anymore. I think Wentz will work out as long as he stays mostly healthy and doesn’t have any bad luck. But this team has had so much bad luck with quarterbacks we will see.

Also, about Ballard not getting a QB yet. Even though odds are we do finally have our guy on the roster now. 

In years prior though, who has he supposed to have gone get? They have to be better players than who they have. Luck in 18 was the guy. Brissett is 19 made a ton of sense. And Phillip rivers last year was the move to make. And please don’t respond with Tom Brady. It just was not going to happen. 

If Justin Fields ends up being a star it will sting a bit but again, hindsight. 

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Who in the Colts facility has been using that as an excuse?

No one. I was just saying they deserved grace after that happened. They deserved time to figure it out. But they are now in their third year since that happened so you can’t really use it as a excuse anymore. 

5 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Dude don’t listen to Dakich that crud rots your brain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Great News. Ballard has been this franchises savior. I legitimately believe that. I can’t believe some people in here would even entertain wanting Grigson over Ballard. Frank Reich seems like a home run of a coach as well. 

Is there anything worse then a franchise who has to start over every 2-3 years with a new GM and HC? 

I could not agree more I love these signings we got a great owner. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Dude don’t listen to Dakich that crud rots your brain.

Agreed

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

No one. I was just saying they deserved grace after that happened. They deserved time to figure it out. But they are now in their third year since that happened so you can’t really use it as a excuse anymore. 

When you write the word “anymore” the implication is that they’ve been using it as an excuse.   And they can’t “anymore”.

So another poster asks who has been using it?   And you answer “no one.”    Do you see how that got tangled up and confused some?

Just saying…

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Also, about Ballard not getting a QB yet. Even though odds are we do finally have our guy on the roster now. 

In years prior though, who has he supposed to have gone get? They have to be better players than who they have. Luck in 18 was the guy. Brissett is 19 made a ton of sense. And Phillip rivers last year was the move to make. And please don’t respond with Tom Brady. It just was not going to happen. 

If Justin Fields ends up being a star it will sting a bit but again, hindsight. 

There’s no rule against when you can draft a QB though. So there are definitely other paths they could have taken to where they are right now. 

Not drafting a QB early for the past two years is a choice they made. We can certainly judge that without hindsight.

36 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They haven’t used it…it’s mostly media and fans that do. But regardless of who, I agree that it’s no longer an excuse.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

There’s no rule against when you can draft a QB though. So there are definitely other paths they could have taken to where they are right now. 

Not drafting a QB early for the past two years is a choice they made. We can certainly judge that without hindsight.

Who should they have taken?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Just gonna have to say this. Irsay also gave Grigson and Pagano extensions linking them to the same time line... then fired them each within 2 years...

now I do not think Ballard or Reich are anywhere near a hot seat, just saying this doesn’t mean that if they are fully “safe”

Of course not. A lot can happen in two years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

This is true. Ballard isn’t going to draft a QB unless he loves him. I bet if Wentz fails, we will see Ballard go big on a Trade up in a draft. 

39 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

3 years to find a franchise qb?    Ask Bears fans,   ask Bills fans,   Jags fans,  WFT fans etc.      3 years isn't very long.   If Carson turns out to be the guy,   Ballard and Reich did an amazing job

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

3 years to find a franchise qb?    Ask Bears fans,   ask Bills fans,   Jags fans,  WFT fans etc.      3 years isn't very long.   If Carson turns out to be the guy,   Ballard and Reich did an amazing job

If Carson Wentz turns out to be our guy you might as well start making his Canton bust lol. 

Joking aside, it would be one of the most impressive moves I’ve seen in a while. I mean there’s rankings right now with Carson like 30-32. Imagine if he plays at a top 8-10 level for us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Or Dolphins fans who are still trying to find a guy after Marino or Bills fans between Jim Kelly and Josh Allen.  The lost goes on and on.  They are once in a life time guys for the most part for fans which is what made going from Manning to Luck so crazy.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Cuckoo talk. And even if you ran with the set of untruths here and agree that Polian did hire them, so what? You could do way worse than taking advice from a HOF GM.

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Thank you!   My thoughts exactly!

3 years into the lifespan in the NFL is nothing. Practically the blink of an eye.   For some franchises, they look for three decades!   You can get someone to fill the spot.  But, to get a great guy that you don’t have to worry about?  It’s incredibly hard.   Those players are incredibly rare. 

That's why the cost of trading up to try and find your guy has sky rocketed.   It’s the cost of doing business in today’s NFL. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That isn’t what I meant. I just meant we are 3 years out so the excuses are gone of Luck can’t be used anymore. I think Wentz will work if as long as there is no bad injury and bad luck.