Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Solak] Carson Wentz’s Injury Leaves the Colts With a QB Conundrum They Won’t Easily Solve

stitches

Ben Solak's first piece for The Ringer is on the Colts:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/8/5/22609947/carson-wentz-colts-qb-conundrum

Carson Wentz’s Injury Leaves the Colts With a QB Conundrum They Won’t Easily Solve

Solid drafting and savvy salary cap management put Indianapolis on the precipice of contention in 2021. But there’s still no dependable answer at quarterback.

By Ben Solak  Aug 5, 2021, 5:50am EDT

colts_QBs_getty_ringer_1.0.jpeg

If you’re going to build a team in the NFL, you’d better do it fast. General managers typically have more job stability than head coaches, but not by much, and that balance of power is shifting as coaches become more involved in personnel decisions. Over half of the league’s teams have changed GMs in the past five offseasons. Some came with peaceful transitions, like Eric DeCosta’s replacement of Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore; some have come with a bit more volatility. Looking at you, Houston.

Colts GM Chris Ballard is one of those newer general managers, but he isn’t going fast—he’s going slow. After succeeding Ryan Grigson in 2017 and inheriting a bare roster, Ballard told owner Jim Irsay, the media, and anyone else who would listen: the Colts’ rebuild was going to take time. And it has. Ballard has endured significant setbacks in his four-year tenure, including the shocking retirement of star QB Andrew Luck in 2019 and the 11th-hour cold feet of head coach candidate Josh McDaniels in 2018. And yet the Colts have methodically rebuilt their roster, made the playoffs in 2020, and have designs on a deeper postseason run in 2021. Despite his cautious nature, Ballard raised the bar on the team’s expectations in 2021, acknowledging that while the Colts’ Super Bowl window wasn’t yet fully open, in his mind it “might be cracking” just a bit.

[... read the full article on the link above or here...]

I expect him to play Week 1.  Read a Power Ranking today that dropped us from 12 to 24, based on how Wentz' 5-12 week absence will sink the team's chances this year.  Almost everyone in the national media expects him to miss a quarter of the season, which represents about a 10-week absence - quite a pessimistic assumption.  I have a feeling we easily make the playoffs this year after Wentz misses MAYBE the first game (though I doubt he misses that)...

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Yeah the media are thinking he is going to miss the first five games. I hope he is back by week 2. I don’t want Eason to have to deal with Donald. Hoo fully Q Is back for Rams too.

Honestly I assume Q will be back week 1, if it heals, he can take the pain that will not be an issue. Carson, I do not know, I am hoping his foot ends up healing quick, but since he has to run and move around a lot and do more cutting than Q, I am thinking hell be longer

8 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Honestly I assume Q will be back week 1, if it heals, he can take the pain that will not be an issue. Carson, I do not know, I am hoping his foot ends up healing quick, but since he has to run and move around a lot and do more cutting than Q, I am thinking hell be longer

Yeah, I go back and forth on which one will be back first.  On the one hand, Wentz’ surgery was as simple as they come, so his recovery should be well on the early end of the spectrum.  Whereas, I haven’t heard enough about Q’s surgery, so I don’t know if the same thing applies.  On the other hand, Q may not be human (as Hines says), so maybe we should expect him back next week…

15 minutes ago, Archer said:

Yeah, I go back and forth on which one will be back first.  On the one hand, Wentz’ surgery was as simple as they come, so his recovery should be well on the early end of the spectrum.  Whereas, I haven’t heard enough about Q’s surgery, so I don’t know if the same thing applies.  On the other hand, Q may not be human (as Hines says), so maybe we should expect him back next week…

From what I heard his surgery was the same as Wentz and went just as well. It was just one day later. And very true he may not be human, and there are certain players that heal super quick, and some that also can take the pain as long as it doesnt mess up their ability. That second part I think is Q, he will be out there the day his foot is fine and cant be easily reinjured, even if there is still the pain

17 minutes ago, Archer said:

Very similar news to Wentz surgery, no additional damage.

If the 5-12 week injury timelines are to be believed for Wentz and Nelson, then that's an 8 week stretch that either could return. That means there's a 1 in 64 chance that both Wentz and Nelson return after a 5 week injury (for the 1st game)(8*8=64). I see a lot of optimism on the forum and I like that, but based on the facts I just showed, you would almost have to be just hoping out of faith they return after 5 weeks, or believe the FO is lying about the timeline to protect themselves and that a later return has no chance of happening.

I personally believe that Nelson will return in 5-6 weeks, and Wentz will return in 7-8 weeks based on who they are and how "enduring pain" is one of the ways to determine how quick they return, along with what position they play. Some people probably believe that for the same reasons, but that won't mean they will return after 5 weeks IMO.

Hope for the best though. :) 

9 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I am going to laugh really hard if Eason looks good in the preseason and has to play week one and we win. Everyone who has been wanting a vet will have to eat crow. 

I don’t get being so pessimistic on something that hasn’t happened yet.

And I'll just sit back and be sad that we traded two good picks away for Wentz since I never wanted him to begin with.

14 hours ago, Four2itus said:

God I hate social media. It has turned sports reporting into a drama class. Clicks, tweets, and reposts rule the content. 

Actually, I felt this article wasn’t all that bad. It gave due credit where it was due and criticized points accurately. The only part I started to roll my eyes at was when he mentioned Irsays patience running out. There’s no indication of that to date and I think Irsay himself understands just how hard it is to find a star QB.  

Ballard actually had a plan day one to not have to lean on the most important position in football and I think that’s why we have the roster we have. I think regardless of QB, we will continue to fine tune that roster. I think we have the potential to be the next KC with our roster, coaching staff and FO. We just need to find someone at QB to be that guy. Be it Wentz, Eason or someone else down the road. 

in summary, Ballard has my full faith and trust, arguably more so than any Colts GM in my life time, including Polian. 

15 hours ago, Four2itus said:

God I hate social media. It has turned sports reporting into a drama class. Clicks, tweets, and reposts rule the content. 

Yes every angle, perception, or spin if is just another click away from money. I wouldn't be surprised if more legitimate news outlets don't run some of the smaller outlets making money from both sides of the stories.

14 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If the 5-12 week injury timelines are to be believed for Wentz and Nelson, then that's an 8 week stretch that either could return. That means there's a 1 in 64 chance that both Wentz and Nelson return after a 5 week injury (for the 1st game)(8*8=64). I see a lot of optimism on the forum and I like that, but based on the facts I just showed, you would almost have to be just hoping out of faith they return after 5 weeks, or believe the FO is lying about the timeline to protect themselves and that a later return has no chance of happening.

I personally believe that Nelson will return in 5-6 weeks, and Wentz will return in 7-8 weeks based on who they are and how "enduring pain" is one of the ways to determine how quick they return, along with what position they play. Some people probably believe that for the same reasons, but that won't mean they will return after 5 weeks IMO.

Hope for the best though. :) 

Maybe 5-12 week timeline given to two of our players is the foreshadowing of our record. 5-12 I hope not...

15 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Very similar news to Wentz surgery, no additional damage.

I am a little concerned by Frank's comment that Q's surgery went as well as could be expected.  Seems a little more reserved, tougher surgery than Wentz's surgery result.  frank was more upbeat on how the QB's surgery went.  Nice to see Q is focused on his rehab plan, if anyone can fight thru this, it will be Q.

7 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Are the Colts really going with Eason?  No plans to acquire another QB?

Who's the QB that's available on the market who's worth it and considerably better than Eason? I'm willing to let Eason play it out. We will get valuable information for him either way. I don't think Foles or Dalton give us much better chance and they will cost us picks we might need in the spring. 

15 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I am going to laugh really hard if Eason looks good in the preseason and has to play week one and we win. Everyone who has been wanting a vet will have to eat crow. 

I don’t get being so pessimistic on something that hasn’t happened yet.

Wouldn't surprise me I wanted to roll with Eason anyway

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

Who's the QB that's available on the market who's worth it and considerably better than Eason? I'm willing to let Eason play it out. We will get valuable information for him either way. I don't think Foles or Dalton give us much better chance and they will cost us picks we might need in the spring. 

Why not bring Rivers back?

6 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

I am a little concerned by Frank's comment that Q's surgery went as well as could be expected.  Seems a little more reserved, tougher surgery than Wentz's surgery result.  frank was more upbeat on how the QB's surgery went.  Nice to see Q is focused on his rehab plan, if anyone can fight thru this, it will be Q.

You make a small incision, take a small bone out then maybe a few stitches, maybe just glue. The wound is healed over pretty much in 2 weeks, they are back carefully walking around for another week or two and it should be 90+ % healed back. Mostly just soreness. You tape it up, maybe a little local for the pain and you ramp it up for heavier duty.  6 weeks and pretty well ready to go physically. 
 Q would probably back off on the in-season practice schedule some the first 2-4 weeks, Wentz probably a little of that too. 
 See how easy it is to make this **** up. 
  Seattle will of course stack the box and put a lot of pressure on our QB.
 Certainly having Kelly and Q playing well then is a Huge deal. The same would have been true for Wentz. We were counting on a very capable run game for us to be able to compete offensively.
 On the other side, our front 7 may be good, very good!  And our safeties will play well IMO. 

This whole thing has gotten completely out of control. We are not trading for a QB. Or probably even signing a free agent. 

These guys don’t know how to separate being journalists and analysts from being fiction writers these days. In this case, they’re just making % up to stir the pot. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Actually, I felt this article wasn’t all that bad. It gave due credit where it was due and criticized points accurately. The only part I started to roll my eyes at was when he mentioned Irsays patience running out. There’s no indication of that to date and I think Irsay himself understands just how hard it is to find a star QB.  

Ballard actually had a plan day one to not have to lean on the most important position in football and I think that’s why we have the roster we have. I think regardless of QB, we will continue to fine tune that roster. I think we have the potential to be the next KC with our roster, coaching staff and FO. We just need to find someone at QB to be that guy. Be it Wentz, Eason or someone else down the road. 

in summary, Ballard has my full faith and trust, arguably more so than any Colts GM in my life time, including Polian. 

Eason being that guy would be lovely since he’s on a rookie contract. We would be on dynasty watch. I’m staying realistic with how he’ll play in the regular season, but I’d cry tears of joy if he balls out for us. The rest of the NFL would hate us because of how lucky we are. They already do honestly.

2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Because, he's retired.

and he didn't say "I'm want my old job(s) back", he telegraphed the idea that if Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady type got hurt week 14 or something and the team looked like it was a QB away, he'd like to step in to that

17 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Agree.  Both of these surgeries will be tissue heals not bone issues.  Plenty of time to heal up and deal with the soreness if any.

I honestly expect Nelson to be out longer than Wentz.  I know Nelson is a beast, and as soon as re-injury isn't a concern, he'll probably be out there.  But his foot will experience a lot more force and stress over the course of a game than Wentz's foot.  Not only being 300lbs, but always trying to push against another 300lb guy, almost every single play. (JMO).

Archived