Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Bit Concerned ...

Shadow_Creek

So i know that our D has been looking really great in camp so far. However when reading the tweets being posted i noticed that Johnathan Taylor has been tearing it up in camp as well and while that's not a bad thing it does make me wonder if our D will still be stout against the run this year. I mean Bobby will be filling big shoes this year because Walker even though he was average in pass coverage he was really good stopping the run. 

Well what I heard was without starters on the left side of the oline, the running game wasn't so hot today. Thing is JT and Mack are known quantities at this point as well.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

They really don’t tackle and get as physical in TC that they in games. I wouldn’t worry at all.

This is true. Hard to get your finger on the pulse of what's going on unless you're breaking things down in terms of technique, situational awareness, playbook knowledge, etc.

When it comes to Defense, colt fans should always be concerned. Last year's D was best in years, but after the good start in early part of season mostly against weaker QB's,  they statistically started falling. 

But I think the concern should be more on the passing D rather than the run defense. 

With still questions on the pass rush, are coverage vulnerabilities with linebackers and corners and are often used soft schemes I would say our pass defense should be more concern than the run.

Any concerns about our D are fair.....

Our pass D stunk the last half of the year when we played decent teams or QBs.

Our pass rush will be relying on two new starters.

Our run D will be relying on 3 new starters (3 of our front 6).

Anyone who is not concerned, is simply projecting and assuming improvement, and/or good play from new starters.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

When it comes to Defense, colt fans should always be concerned. Last year's D was best in years, but after the good start in early part of season mostly against weaker QB's,  they statistically started falling. 

But I think the concern should be more on the passing D rather than the run defense. 

With still questions on the pass rush, are coverage vulnerabilities with linebackers and corners and are often used soft schemes I would say our pass defense should be more concern than the run.

I like the addition of Sean Davis. He's got some medical concerns but he's a really solid tackler in space and is also good against the run, which is exactly what you want from a DB in a zone scheme. PFF isn't high on him and he does have a tendency to give up some deep plays, but he's aggressive. That tells me the Colts are targeting those traits in their quest to address issues in the secondary. I'm not saying that Davis is the answer by any means but it's a good sign for a zone scheme. If the pass rush is there, that's exactly what you want. Stop the run and limit YAC.

3 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

I like the addition of Sean Davis. He's got some medical concerns but he's a really solid tackler in space and is also good against the run, which is exactly what you want from a DB in a zone scheme. PFF isn't high on him and he does have a tendency to give up some deep plays, but he's aggressive. That tells me the Colts are targeting those traits in their quest to address issues in the secondary. I'm not saying that Davis is the answer by any means but it's a good sign for a zone scheme. If the pass rush is there, that's exactly what you want. Stop the run and limit YAC.

I like Shawn more than Sean.

Im not concerned off of practices when it comes to the run D. Theres no game planning going on, the tackling is not on the same level as games. No matter who weve had under Eberflus the run D has been good. I wont worry until i see the evidence in front of me. Im not even sure if Bobby O is going to be the Mike in the base D.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im not concerned off of practices when it comes to the run D. Theres no game planning going on, the tackling is not on the same level as games. No matter who weve had under Eberflus the run D has been good. I wont worry until i see the evidence in front of me. Im not even sure if Bobby O is going to be the Mike in the base D.

I think it's always a lot harder to judge the D in camp, than O.

3 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

People take wayyy to much away from training camp in my opinion.

I said the same thing yesterday. That’s why I don’t even think to much of Eason yet. They do stuff in practice to see if they will work in a  game. It’s bdaf they fail in practice. Plus on game day there will be a much more streamed downed game plan. That’s why there is always TC stars and they do nothing in actual games. TC tweets are fun but just take them with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

People take wayyy to much away from training camp in my opinion.

Truth but at the same time, that's also where they make roster cuts and figure out the depth chart. Granted that in-game situations make up a big chunk of that as well, but it's even more pointed now that they have cut the preseason from 4 to 3 games.

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

So i know that our D has been looking really great in camp so far. However when reading the tweets being posted i noticed that Johnathan Taylor has been tearing it up in camp as well and while that's not a bad thing it does make me wonder if our D will still be stout against the run this year. I mean Bobby will be filling big shoes this year because Walker even though he was average in pass coverage he was really good stopping the run. 

I appreciate the concern…

But at this point it’s way, WAY too early to be concerned.   Let’s at least see how the first string defense does against an opposing first team’s first string offense.   Give it the three pre-season games and we will have a better idea of what we have…

Honestly….  We will know more is less than four weeks. 

9 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Sounds like we are giving up a number of deep balls so that concerns me.

It may take a few games of game experience but i think EB can coach up our run D. Walker was spending a lot of time on the bench the 2nd half of the season, i thank him for his service.

If the O is looking good, then the D must stink.

And Vice Versa.   

It’s camp.  Take a breath and listen to Aaron Rodgers advice.  

We won’t really know how the team looks until they play in September.  Let’s just hope for no more injuries.  

9 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

The big uglies in the front are yet to get warmed up. They’re the key to keeping the OL and TEs off the LBs eventually so that the LBs can play sound 1-gap football.

We wondered how our run D would suffer after our DL coach left for the Panthers at the beginning of the 2020 season, if I remember right. Eberflus and the D still kept cooking in that category except for the 1 Covid game without Buckner and Autry in the middle.

I believe in Eberflus after all these years on run D. On pass D, however, he’s counting on the quantity added to push the quality up. :) 

12 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

You're damned either way when you try to judge the team playing against itself. If Taylor tears it up versus the run D then there must be a problem with the Run D. If the Run D stops Taylor, then there must be a problem with Taylor. Same for any other player or unit versus it's offensive or defensive counterpart.

12 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

It's TC. It's a time for optimism and narrative. Somehow every part of the team is doing great at the same time. Well, except Eason apparently (but all of his WRs are).

14 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

its camp they aren’t out to kill each other. In a real game situation things look different.

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Any concerns about our D are fair.....

Our pass D stunk the last half of the year when we played decent teams or QBs.

Our pass rush will be relying on two new starters.

Our run D will be relying on 3 new starters (3 of our front 6).

Anyone who is not concerned, is simply projecting and assuming improvement, and/or good play from new starters.

Nailed it. 

Also Wentz went up against them the day he got hurt, and the reports were that he lit them up so we'll see. My main concerns were the pass rush and the corners. The pass rush seems to be better than last year, the corners? Hard to tell. Rock has been getting beat like a drum though, that much seems apparent :(

On 8/4/2021 at 11:45 PM, Wentzszn said:

This is very true. The offense is catching up now.

To me, it's that the D knows the O is typically vanilla. And now that we have QB2, likely even more basic.

You also really need to know who is in in terms of 1st string, 2nd string, etc.. And the DL is likely really hard to judge right now given our whole left side are 2nd tier guys (not to mention Kelly out).

I think it's easier to see positions like WRs and QBs as their trade is a little bit more clear to judge.

On 8/5/2021 at 1:00 PM, Colt.45 said:

Nailed it. 

Also Wentz went up against them the day he got hurt, and the reports were that he lit them up so we'll see. My main concerns were the pass rush and the corners. The pass rush seems to be better than last year, the corners? Hard to tell. Rock has been getting beat like a drum though, that much seems apparent :(

I've seen some film on RYS's so called bad performance. The 3 vids I've seen thus far weren't bad. He's been in good position, just beat by good passes and huge bodies. I've seen Rhodes and Moore film look worse to be honest. I think Strachan "burnt" Rhodes just the other day. Not saying RYS is going to be good, just hard to figure things right now unless you're watching the film and weighing the context.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

To me, it's that the D knows the O is typically vanilla. And now that we have QB2, likely even more basic.

You also really need to know who is in in terms of 1st string, 2nd string, etc.. And the DL is likely really hard to judge right now given our whole left side are 2nd tier guys (not to mention Kelly out).

I think it's easier to see positions like WRs and QBs as their trade is a little bit more clear to judge.

Reich mentioned it’s more that the offense playbook is being installed. They are starting to repeat now. But I guess that could also mean maybe the defense has done that too. Not sure about that. Reich pretty much let’s eberflus do his thing.

Reich said they have not held anything back with eason.  He is doing exactly what Wentz would of been doing. If Eason plays they at least will know his strengths and weakenesses and develop a plan.

I have heard so many people mention how don’t take to much out of a practice because they are trying things to see if they work. Better to do that in a practice then a game. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich mentioned it’s more that the offense playbook is being installed. They are starting to repeat now. But I guess that could also mean maybe the defense has done that too. Not sure about that. Reich pretty much let’s eberflus do his thing.

Reich said they have not held anything back with eason.  He is doing exactly what Wentz would of been doing. If Eason plays they at least will know his strengths and weakenesses and develop a plan.

I have heard so many people mention how don’t take to much out of a practice because they are trying things to see if they work. Better to do that in a practice then a game. 

I'm not buying that Reich isn't slow rolling Eason. Eason's been in the system a year, but it's still all new on the field. And honestly, Reich's O is conservative anyway, so slow rolling is his jam lol.

And I'm not quite sure how the impact of a new OC might change things a bit. IMO, likely not much given Reich is the play caller. 

I'm sure things will open up a tiny bit as we get closer to the season, but even then, I expect run+dink/dunk.

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not buying that Reich isn't slow rolling Eason. Eason's been in the system a year, but it's still all new on the field. And honestly, Reich's O is conservative anyway, so slow rolling is his jam lol.

And I'm not quite sure how the impact of a new OC might change things a bit. IMO, likely not much given Reich is the play caller. 

I'm sure things will open up a tiny bit as we get closer to the season, but even then, I expect run+dink/dunk.

I believe it because it’s just practice. How else they going to learn his strengths. Game day now will be a different story. If he has to play week one they will now know what he is good at and develop a plan from there.

On 8/4/2021 at 8:47 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

U have to ask yourself if even good against the run. Sure, they looked good against teams that were one dimensional. What I mean by that is poor qb play. When they played very  good qbs, I feel they struggled against the run and pass.  I never will b on board with this defensive scheme and what they r trying to build. It is an antiquated scheme and will not work against great qbs hell even very good qbs.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:46 AM, masterlock said:

You're damned either way when you try to judge the team playing against itself. If Taylor tears it up versus the run D then there must be a problem with the Run D. If the Run D stops Taylor, then there must be a problem with Taylor. Same for any other player or unit versus it's offensive or defensive counterpart.

Yup.  Just had my sons HS intrasquad scrimmage tonight.  I am reporting that Nickster Jr, had a couple of catches for 25-30 yds and did OK blocking on the Freshman team.

the varsity has a kid with MLB arm talent.  They dominated the D today.  Hopefully our D isn’t as bad as it looked and it looked that way because the O is going to light people up.

we will find out more next week against one of our main rivals in the scrimmage.

I expect the defense to be a little more stout vs the run and much more consistent through the year both run and pass.  I like the pieces they have added on the edges in particular.

Where I'd like the scoring defense to be is below 20ppg.  I think they'll be in that range and hopefully below it.

Also purely on the mental side of things the defense is going into this season knowing they have to be on point from the first game on.  They won't have very much room for error.  That may play into their favor and help them get that unit operating at peak efficiency then when they get Wentz back the offense starts pumping and we have something.  It's my hope at least.

Archived