Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell, Marlon Mack, and Kemoko Turay all look really good.

Lawrence Owen

I been to a few camp practices thus far, and plan on going to at least 2/week, if not more. But from the first week, the 3 guys with a lot of question marks due to previous injuries have really stood out.

Parris has been an absolute stud, not only showing off his speed, but doing things not seen before. Like coming back on an under thrown ball by Morton, using his body to block out the defender, and going up and catching the ball at the high point.

Mack has been stupendous! He not only looks like he still has the side-side cut ability, and start/stop speed he had prior to injury, he seems to play with more confidence than what I saw from him in his 2019 camp practices I went to.  Making beautiful catches on throws behind him, where he had to reach behind and below his hip to snag the pass, and turn upfield without loosing much forward momentum!

As for Turay, he still has that great jump off the snap, and watched him multiple times turn the edge on both Tevi and Holden, especially on trench drills. He's even shown a few counter moves that have caught the o-linemen off guard, and allowed him to get advantage.

So seems previous injuries are not hampering many of these players, even Fisher is seen every day running sprints along the sideline, doing hard start, and hard stops, on his injured Achilles. Would not be surprised if he was in uniform doing individuals within the next couple weeks (But I'm no doctor, just stating how it 'looks' to me)

4 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I been to a few camp practices thus far, and plan on going to at least 2/week, if not more.

But from the first week, the 3 guys with a lot of question marks due to previous injuries have really stood out.

Parris has been an absolute stud, not only showing off his speed, but doing things not seen before.

Like coming back on an under thrown ball by Morton, using his body to block out the defender,

and going up and catching the ball at the high point.

Mack has been stupendous! He not only looks like he still has the side-side cut ability, and start/stop speed he had prior to injury, 

he seems to play with more confidence than what I saw from him in his 2019 camp practices I went to.  Making beautiful catches

on throws behind him, where he had to reach behind and below his hip to snag the pass, and turn upfield without loosing

much forward momentum!

As for Turay, he still has that great jump off the snap, and watched him multiple times turn the edge on both Tevi and Holden, 

especially on trench drills. He's even shown a few counter moves that have caught the o-linemen off guard, and allowed him to get advantage.

So seems previous injuries are not hampering many of these players, even Fisher is seen every day running sprints

along the sideline, doing hard start, and hard stops, on his injured Achilles. Would not be surprised if he was in uniform doing 

individuals within the next couple weeks (But I'm no doctor, just stating how it 'looks' to me)

That’s great to hear!!  Seen good report about Bobby O.  How has he looked to you?   

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

got to wonder about his "eye test" lol

i've seen a lot of good stuff too about PC.

Everyone sees stuff different. It happens every training camp. That’s why you can’t read too much into it. Just take it for what it is.

Foe instance I am watching Lawrence’s live stream  he just did. Him and his guest both say Eason has had up and downs but has looked pretty good. They both like what they see so far. If you went  by the local media you would think he was trash.

This happens every year with camp. We just forgot because of no camp last season. The fun part is seeing how people see things different.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Everyone sees stuff different. It happens every training camp. That’s why you can’t read too much into it. Just take it for what it is.

Foe instance I am watching Lawrence’s live stream  he just did. Him and his guest both say Eason has had up and downs but has looked pretty good. They both like what they see so far. If you went  by the local media you would think he was trash.

This happens every year with camp. We just forgot because of no camp last season. The fun part is seeing how people see things different.

Other than guys like Greg Doyle whose job it is to over react to stuff I’ve most of the local Colts guys say Eason has been ups and downs and given him credit when he looked good.  

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I been to a few camp practices thus far, and plan on going to at least 2/week, if not more.

But from the first week, the 3 guys with a lot of question marks due to previous injuries have really stood out.

Parris has been an absolute stud, not only showing off his speed, but doing things not seen before.

Like coming back on an under thrown ball by Morton, using his body to block out the defender,

Mack has been stupendous! He not only looks like he still has the side-side cut ability, and start/stop speed he had prior to injury, 

he seems to play with more confidence than what I saw from him in his 2019 camp practices I went to.  Making beautiful catches

on throws behind him, where he had to reach behind and below his hip to snag the pass, and turn upfield without loosing

much forward momentum!

As for Turay, he still has that great jump off the snap, and watched him multiple times turn the edge on both Tevi and Holden, 

especially on trench drills. He's even shown a few counter moves that have caught the o-linemen off guard, and allowed him to get advantage.

So seems previous injuries are not hampering many of these players, even Fisher is seen every day running sprints

along the sideline, doing hard start, and hard stops, on his injured Achilles. Would not be surprised if he was in uniform doing 

individuals within the next couple weeks (But I'm no doctor, just stating how it 'looks' to me)

In practices other than yesterday was Campbell taking first team reps?  Cause he wasn’t yesterday but I said in a different thread that they were doing a lot of RZ/GL work.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

all seems pretty fair to me.  

It would be fair if he didn’t add that last sentence. How about let’s see if we see improvement. Of some nuance that it might take a little time after not practicing in two years. I haven’t read the story so maybe it’s in there I don’t know. I am just getting tired of them calling for a BANDAID vet QB. They all suck. There isn’t one out there. Eason can only get better by taking more reps.

26 minutes ago, Nickster said:

In practices other than yesterday was Campbell taking first team reps?  Cause he wasn’t yesterday but I said in a different thread that they were doing a lot of RZ/GL work.

That might be your answer. Maybe that particular red zone was to work on specific type of plays.  Don’t sweat it too much. I find everyone objective of what they saw interesting. It happens every year where everyone sees something different. Sometimes the stars in camp don’t even play well in regular season.

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It would be fair if he didn’t add that last sentence. How about let’s see if we see improvement. Of some nuance that it might take a little time after not practicing in two years. I haven’t read the story so maybe it’s in there I don’t know. I am just getting tired of them calling for a BANDAID vet QB. They all suck. There isn’t one out there. Eason can only get better by taking more reps.

It’s a fair point.  It’s not good AT THE MOMENT.  Eason has had some decent moments but he’s also had some bad one and as they said that’s about what you would expect out of him right now.  Honestly if you turned to a NFL team and said okay your QBs are a second year fourth round pick who has never seen a live NFL snap, a rookie sixth round QB, and Brett Hundley and anyone would say yeah that’s not good right now.  Can it get better clearly?  However, right now it’s not good and that’s all we have to go on.  They all acknowledge Eason needs more reps and you can’t make a final judgement on him right now and gave him credit for getting better.  However, he has a long way to go and a short time to do it in.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Their assessment is more fair. The Nickster is my boy but the way he gives it its like there is just no way Eason could ever be good. Like we should just fully expect a guy thats inept.

Keep in mind that a ton of things are happening at the same time and I doubt every person is focusing on the exact same thing on every single snap... thus there might be differences in impressions. I would extend some charity to all of those reports and try to piece up the bigger picture by combining all of them. That's why I appreciate all of them. If you've gone to the practice and took the time to share your impressions - thank you. :thanks:

7 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

much forward momentum!

Did you happen to sit next to Nickster? He says Parris looks horrible.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Their assessment is more fair. The Nickster is my boy but the way he gives it its like there is just no way Eason could ever be good. Like we should just fully expect a guy thats inept.

I don’t know if he could ever be good or not, but he isn’t good enough right now.  Same with Campbell.  I watched most of his reps.  He stumbled on his first get off v a defender and struggled after that.  I didn’t see the other practices and it wouldn’t be surprising for a recovering ACL guy to have a bad day on the 4th consecutive camp day.  They weren’t running a lot of crossers and those type of routes which is where he’s good either.  And I said it was a heavy RZ GL session which won’t necessarily be his strong suit.  I mentioned the nice come back catch in the OP

nuance people.

24 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don’t know if he could ever be good or not, but he isn’t good enough right now.  Same with Campbell.  I watched most of his reps.  He stumbled on his first get off v a defender and struggled after that.  I didn’t see the other practices and it wouldn’t be surprising for a recovering ACL guy to have a bad day on the 4th consecutive camp day.  They weren’t running a lot of crossers and those type of routes which is where he’s good either.  And I said it was a heavy RZ GL session which won’t necessarily be his strong suit.  I mentioned the nice come back catch in the OP

nuance people.

Your perspective is appreciated.

Both Parris and Turay can take our O and D to the next level.

Mack doing good is great as well but I wasn't nearly as concerned about the RB group as I was with the WR group and pass rush group when opponents had to game plan for us. 

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

nuance people.

Campbell had a MCL AND PCL.

Not to be cynical because I know most people are just reporting what they see. But it's really predictable who is going to stand out at TC.

Key Players for 2021:

• Campbell (can he stay healthy and be a big weapon for the offense)
  • Paye (can he step in right away and be a pass rushing force)
  • Turay (can he get healthy and perform like he did in early 2019 to help sure-up the pass rushing)
  • Okereke (can he step into the starting MIKE role and be Leonard's running mate)
  • Pitt (can he establish himself as a WR1 in the NFL)
  • Banogu (can he get on the field and show he belongs)
  • Tell (can he build off his rookie year after opting out last year)

TC Standouts (that I have heard multiple times):

• Campbell 
  • Paye
  • Turay 
  • Okereke
  • Pitt 
  • Banogu
  • Tell 
  • Mack (throw him for good measure because it's a comeback story)

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Krunky I specifically said the opposite of what you wrote.  

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Krunky I specifically said the opposite of what you wrote.  

To be fair, this is what you wrote about Eason:

21 hours ago, Nickster said:

Eason ain't there. We won't be able to compete well with him as a starter if that comes down.  I would be pretty surprised if you could compete well in the 1st 2 games with him at QB.  

If we're parsing words. you said Eason "ain't there", which to me says he's not good now but there's potential for him to improve. It wasn't as definitive of a statement as what Krunk posted, but but it was in no way the opposite. You were down on Eason (fair assessment) and that's what Krunk alluded to.

14 minutes ago, Shive said:

To be fair, this is what you wrote about Eason:

If we're parsing words. you said Eason "ain't there", which to me says he's not good now but there's potential for him to improve. It wasn't as definitive of a statement as what Krunk posted, but but it was in no way the opposite. You were down on Eason (fair assessment) and that's what Krunk alluded to.

Well said this later.  “I don’t know if he could ever be good or not, but he isn’t good enough right now. “

and I really wasn’t focused on Eason but looking at the thread for the camp day his stats reporters were posting were bad.

He looks a little slow to me.  I don’t think he’ll be very good.  Simply because He’s a 4th rounder and most of those guys aren’t.  But no I ain’t writing him off and didn’t really watch him specifically.  

I don’t always focus on the QBs when watching live especially camp.  I was part of a couple of good HS staffs (I’m not a great coach I was the wrestling coach who was good at getting in kids rear ends) but I did have jobs to do as far as focusing on parts of the play that didn’t necessarily involve the ball.  It’s hard for most people not to watch the ball. Point being I don’t have any specific long term opinion on the dude, but he surely struggled on Saturday and looked confused and a little slow processing.  I think I read on here that slow processing was one of his scouting knocks.

Archived