Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if Eason turns out to be pretty good


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Myles said:

The Colts have a tough schedule this year.   Start with:

Seahawks

Rams

Titans

Dolphins

Ravens

 

I was hoping to be 3-2 or 2-3 after that stretch.   Now I'm thinking they will go 1-4.

 

 

A reminder….

 

We started 2018, Frank’s first year and Luck’s last year,  1-5.   But we closed 9-1 for a 10-6 record.   
 

All I’m saying is a bad start doesn’t guarantee a bad season. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I'm going to say probably not. Haven't been to camp but it looks like he's only completing about half of his passes. Could be drops from the receivers, maybe? I wouldn't put much stock in him but I think we'd run the ball a lot.

 

Have to have a bit of patience with him.  

 

1. He's had zero NFL passes

2. He didn't even get a pre-season last year

3. He was the 3rd QB on the roster last year which means his reps were really limited.

 

I'm mostly wanting to see if the kid improves in training camp.  

 

If he's not better in a week or 2 weeks from now than that would be alarming.  But the fact that he's not that great right now.  Not that alarming considering the circumstances.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder….

 

We started 2018, Frank’s first year and Luck’s last year,  1-5.   But we closed 9-1 for a 10-6 record.   
 

All I’m saying is a bad start doesn’t guarantee a bad season. 

Not probable though.   I hate what a bad start can to to a team.  Different players swapped in and out.   We were lucky that year with Luck.   There was never a QB controversy.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not probable though.   I hate what a bad start can to to a team.  Different players swapped in and out.   We were lucky that year with Luck.   There was never a QB controversy.  

Yeah, and the QB was unquestionably a top 5 QB. The main question was when he'd regain full health and shake off the rust.

 

A rough start this year could be pretty dooming especially given this division. I don't get why people (MSM) say the AFCS is poor, Tennessee is legit, and if Trevor Lawrence is the best prospect since Luck then JVille will not be a pushover. Houston seems to be a joke so there's that but they still own the rights to Watson. All that to say, a bad start could mean no division title again, and that's the goal this year I think.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Now  the next question on Jeopardy will be "Green Bay Packers QBs unhappy with management" for 800, please??? :) 

 

This Green Bay Packers QB was so unhappy with management that he decided to sign with a division rival....

Who is Brett Favre Aaron lmao 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder….

 

We started 2018, Frank’s first year and Luck’s last year,  1-5.   But we closed 9-1 for a 10-6 record.   
 

All I’m saying is a bad start doesn’t guarantee a bad season. 

We had that BAD man though in Andrew Luck. He always could reel off 4 or 5 wins in a row. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

Have to have a bit of patience with him.  

 

1. He's had zero NFL passes

2. He didn't even get a pre-season last year

3. He was the 3rd QB on the roster last year which means his reps were really limited.

 

I'm mostly wanting to see if the kid improves in training camp.  

 

If he's not better in a week or 2 weeks from now than that would be alarming.  But the fact that he's not that great right now.  Not that alarming considering the circumstances.

 

Correct, your 1-2-3 points further prove my opinion. :sip: I'm not expecting much because like you said, zero NFL passes and of course no pre-season last year. It's nothing he could have changed. However, not quite the situation that the Colts want to be in. Not sure we will see a QB improve drastically over a couple weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When last was a starting QB bad or bang on average in college then good to great professionally? When last did one of these high ceiling guys pan out? 

Josh Allen isnt a good example, he was actually good in college.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Just FYI, the original thread title was:

 

"What is Eason turns out to be pretty good"

 

@Shive had to ruin the fun of this grammar/spelling police by changing the title, haha. haha It is all good man.

Hardly "grammar/spelling police"--just basic intelligibility.

I will be disappointed if we run more than 33% of 1st - 3rd downs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

When last was a starting QB bad or bang on average in college then good to great professionally? When last did one of these high ceiling guys pan out? 

Josh Allen isnt a good example, he was actually good in college.

 

But Eason wasn't bad or even average in college.  He was above average.  The knock on him was (and is) that after his first couple reads he gets 'lost'.  

 

That is easily coached out in the pros.  They're going to make him Captain Checkdown.  If his first two reads are covered, he's going to Hines or the TE for 5 yards.  Just don't throw it to their Mike, like he did to Bobby O in practice the other day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Smonroe said:

 

But Eason wasn't bad or even average in college.  He was above average.  The knock on him was (and is) that after his first couple reads he gets 'lost'.  

 

That is easily coached out in the pros.  They're going to make him Captain Checkdown.  If his first two reads are covered, he's going to Hines or the TE for 5 yards.  Just don't throw it to their Mike, like he did to Bobby O in practice the other day.

Maybe calling him average is unfair but for the hype he's got, he has never got close to it in terms of actual production. The other knocks? Slow decision making, can't stand any kind of pressure.

 

Hoping for the best but the precedence doesn't make for great hopes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

From the college games I watched, I would take Ehlinger over Eason. He doesn't have the fantastic upside of Eason but I saw him trade blows with Murray and best him. I saw him go toe to toe with Burrow in the season when Burrow was a god. When it comes to the tape, I don't think Eason can match Ehlinger, when it comes to big game performance, performances against quality D1 schools, will to win, those intangibles (and heck even the tangibles), I think Ehlinger was the better guy in college.

It's all subjective of course but that first OU/Texas game in 2018, Ehlinger wasn't losing that game. When Ballard said the things he said about Ehlinger post-draft, I knew instantly what he meant, whatever 'it' is, the kid has it. 

 

Now, sure Eason has the upside, and maybe he has a Josh Allen transformation (though Allen always had that FACT that he could scramble as a fallback and Eason isnt really a scrambler) but right now, the only thing Eason has over Ehlinger is the eye test. He looks the part (whatever the heck that means) and carries a rocket for an arm, and people have been tantalized by him since high school though not a single coach has been able to unlock that magic apple in the kid, we will see.

With all due respect Ehlinger had 4 and 5 star talent at Texas and was not very successful. He lost to teams like West Virginia and Kansas to name a few. As a Colts fan I hope he works out but he was not an outstanding college QB. Will Grier of WVU went toe to toe with Murray but their is no comparison in overall talent. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 8:55 AM, Mitch Connors said:

 

This is exactly the blueprint that turned Russel Wilson into the player he is today. Through Wilsons first few seasons that team won on great defense and a top 1-2 run game behind Marshawn all of which built Wilsons confidence along the way. The Colts have the exact recipe (not quite on D IMO) which gives me huge optimism with any QB we put out there because they dont have to be the reason we win. 

 

Yup. Basically our QB needs to be someone who doesnt mess it up. They arent gonna be asked to throw for 400 yards a game or anything. Just do your job and dont mess it up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 7:08 PM, AustinnKaine said:

I just went and played with him as QB1 on Madden. 

 

It didn't go well.

 

Cancel the season. 

Im on season 8 of a Jacob Eason led Colts team. He is a 97 overall (without adjustments) and a 5 time SB winner. This is the most realistic outcome I can think of for him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think absolute best case scenario is a Patriots post deflatgate type start to the season (terrible referenceI know but it's a pretty good comparison) We lean heavily on what appears to be a top tier defense, premium running game and a complete unknown at QB, knowbody knows wth Eason is right now, that in and if itself has some value a game or two. Maybe we 2-2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 1:39 PM, Colt.45 said:

When last was a starting QB bad or bang on average in college then good to great professionally? When last did one of these high ceiling guys pan out? 

Josh Allen isnt a good example, he was actually good in college.

 

No Josh Allen really wasn't that good in college.  

 

The only stat where he was really good was yards per attempt.  Completion percentage was below 60, TD/INT ratio was ok but not anything special.  

 

And all of this was achieved in a non-power 5 conference.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 12:38 PM, pgt_rob said:

 

Correct, your 1-2-3 points further prove my opinion. :sip: I'm not expecting much because like you said, zero NFL passes and of course no pre-season last year. It's nothing he could have changed. However, not quite the situation that the Colts want to be in. Not sure we will see a QB improve drastically over a couple weeks.

 

I think spending a whole camp taking 1st team reps can really help a guy out.  

 

Compare Jacoby Brissett when he was first traded to the Colts to Jacoby Brissett right after Luck retired.  He was much better.  Still not good enough to be a long term starter but far better.  

 

But you are right this is far from ideal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People forget that Jacoby had a rocket deep ball too. But, he couldn't make use of it because his ability to read a defense was very limited. I think that Eason's play will end up looking similar to Brisset with a similar career trajectory.

 

This is based on very little at this point. I'm just some guy on the intertubes

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me it depends on how good.

  1. If the Colts are winning and Eason looks good I don't know why you would pull him.
  2. If the Colts are winning and Eason looks average or worse I think you put Wentz in.
  3. If the Colts are losing I think you put Wentz in.

And of course when I say winning I am not meaning every game.  But let's say for the sake of argument the Colts with Eason start 4-2 or 3-1.  I don't know how you could pull him out if he is playing well.  That also assumes Wentz misses the first 6 games or 4 games.  If he is ready to return week 3 and the Colts are 1-1 Wentz is the man.

 

There are just so many variables.  The sooner Wentz gets back the less chance I see Eason remaining the starter.  Even if the Colts are 1-0 and Wentz is ready to go week 2 I think Wentz plays.

 

They brought Wentz in to be the answer at QB.  I think you have to give him a chance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My magic 8 ball, guesstimation leads me to think Eason is going to get 3-5 starts at the beginning of the year. Honestly, he needs to win at least one to keep the thing on life support. 2 would be solid. 

I don't think there's much he can do realistically to displace the plan to let Wentz get some run and there's a real chance we could be begging for Wentz by week 3. But, maybe not. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, gspdx said:

If the Colts are winning and Eason looks good I don't know why you would pull him.

Why would any player ever take the advice of getting surgery after that happening? Really bad message to send the entire roster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 1:39 PM, Colt.45 said:

When last was a starting QB bad or bang on average in college then good to great professionally? When last did one of these high ceiling guys pan out? 

Josh Allen isnt a good example, he was actually good in college.

Patrick MaHomes didn’t have the most celebrated college career and has worked out much better on the NFL than he was viewed in college.  I don’t know if I could call him average or below average in college.  I would have called him good but he wasn’t viewed as the best QB in the Big XII his last year or in the running for major college QB awards.  He was voted second team all conference.  I think it’s safe to say he’s achieved greater success in the pros than he did in college.

 

With that said beyond saying they are both football QBs I wouldn’t put Eason in any class with MaHomes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Patrick MaHomes didn’t have the most celebrated college career and has worked out much better on the NFL than he was viewed in college.  I don’t know if I could call him average or below average in college.  I would have called him good but he wasn’t viewed as the best QB in the Big XII his last year or in the running for major college QB awards.  He was voted second team all conference.  I think it’s safe to say he’s achieved greater success in the pros than he did in college.

 

With that said beyond saying they are both football QBs I wouldn’t put Eason in any class with MaHomes.

 

Don't confuse Texas Tech's record with how Mahomes played.  He was outstanding with probably a below average team.  His QBR for his career was around 150.

 

He threw for over 40 TDs his last year, while running for his life.  Obviously, the people who evaluate talent saw his.  From what I read, he was always a top 5 QB in college.

 

But I agree, you really can't compare his career with Eason's.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

Don't confuse Texas Tech's record with how Mahomes played.  He was outstanding with probably a below average team.  His QBR for his career was around 150.

 

He threw for over 40 TDs his last year, while running for his life.  Obviously, the people who evaluate talent saw his.  From what I read, he was always a top 5 QB in college.

 

But I agree, you really can't compare his career with Eason's.  

I am not looking at their records.  I didn’t say he was bad, in fact I said I would have called him good, but he wasn’t regarding as one of the top QBs in college.  That’s why he was second team all conference and not in the running for the QB awards that year.  In fact the question about him was was he another product of the Texas Tech system?  Clearly he’s proven he was darn good with how he played at the NFL level but I would say he’s a guy who is viewed as a better pro player than he was as a college player in college.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

For me it depends on how good.

  1. If the Colts are winning and Eason looks good I don't know why you would pull him.
  2. If the Colts are winning and Eason looks average or worse I think you put Wentz in.
  3. If the Colts are losing I think you put Wentz in.

And of course when I say winning I am not meaning every game.  But let's say for the sake of argument the Colts with Eason start 4-2 or 3-1.  I don't know how you could pull him out if he is playing well.  That also assumes Wentz misses the first 6 games or 4 games.  If he is ready to return week 3 and the Colts are 1-1 Wentz is the man.

 

There are just so many variables.  The sooner Wentz gets back the less chance I see Eason remaining the starter.  Even if the Colts are 1-0 and Wentz is ready to go week 2 I think Wentz plays.

 

They brought Wentz in to be the answer at QB.  I think you have to give him a chance.

I feel the same.   If he is playing well, you leave him in and give Wentz extra recovery time.  It would be a bonus.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Eason plays well in the preseason and gets a game or two in the season he could set himself up nice to get a starting job somewhere. Could maybe get us a 4th rd pick.  Although the colts would probably value having a good back up if he plays well and who knows where we are with Wentz in three years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

If Eason plays well in the preseason and gets a game or two in the season he could set himself up nice to get a starting job somewhere. Could maybe get us a 4th rd pick. 

Or the Colts will keep him as their back up as he still has two years on his deal and Wentz still has a rather long history of injuries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or the Colts will keep him as their back up as he still has two years on his deal and Wentz still has a rather long history of injuries.

Yeah I edited my post saying the colts would probably value that. Plus who knows where Wentz will be in 3 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Why would any player ever take the advice of getting surgery after that happening? Really bad message to send the entire roster. 

 

The message is "it's about the team" and not one player.  If you have an injury you still need to decide if surgery or rest and rehab are the proper approach.  It's a risk either way.

 

I think you are missing the point of the message coaches and management are trying to send now and how they intended this team to be built.  This is team thing and every player needs to do what is best for the team.  The best thing Wentz can do now is get healthy as quickly as possible.  Regardless of whether that is through surgery or not is irrelevant.  In neither case is he guaranteed to be ready week one and in neither case is he guaranteed to start right away.

 

But why would you risk performing worse if you are winning now?  The message that sends in just as bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Dumbledore said:

I’m wondering how many folks that commented have watched Eason play during camp.

 

Are you saying he isn't looking like an MVP?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, JMichael557 said:

What if Eason turns out to be a good QB. He gets better as the preseason concludes and he wins the first game against Seattle. Do you still just give the job to Wentz who is on a long comeback trail. 

This was the OP. It is flawed in content because the comment in red is pure conjecture, and according to nearly unison agreement, he is expected to have a short rehab.

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

For me it depends on how good.

  1. If the Colts are winning and Eason looks good I don't know why you would pull him.

This was the comment that I replied to. (See the next below)

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Why would any player ever take the advice of getting surgery after that happening? Really bad message to send the entire roster. 

I said this because if Carson was ready to play...regardless if the Colts are winning or that he may have to things to work through, it would be a horrible message to send players. Your options are to rehab and play through the pain, or get a procedure done. Of course, if you do surgery and your backup is winning, we're not going to give you your job back unless the other guy struggles. 

50 minutes ago, gspdx said:

 

But why would you risk performing worse if you are winning now?  The message that sends in just as bad.

Because the team is saying "You are the starter. If you get the procedure done and we'll hold the fort until you get back. This is your team". 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I feel the same.   If he is playing well, you leave him in and give Wentz extra recovery time.  It would be a bonus.  

Not a bonus to Wentz, and to all players who choose surgery in the future. A bonus to fans who want wins right now? Yes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, joecolts said:

Run the BALL!

big balls running GIF by Mashable

I am sure they will but let’s remember right now the whole left side of the line they run behind is out.  While Kelly will probably be back for week one the other two starters Nelson and Fisher are major question marks for week one.  Add in the fact that even if Wentz is there teams are going to sit on the run until the Colts throw them out of it it’s a lot easier said than done.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am sure they will but let’s remember right now the whole left side of the line they run behind is out.  While Kelly will probably be back for week one the other two starters Nelson and Fisher are major question marks for week one.  Add in the fact that even if Wentz is there teams are going to sit on the run until the Colts throw them out of it it’s a lot easier said than done.

I don't disagree but even depleted, our line & RB's are still are strength, especially with Wentz out.  We must rely upon them until we get healthy.  That means relying on the "next men up" on the left side until Q and Fisher are ready.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Because the team is saying "You are the starter. If you get the procedure done and we'll hold the fort until you get back. This is your team". 

 

Well - we will have to disagree.  The team is more important in my mind.  Wentz is a starter that hasn't proven anything for the Colts yet.  And now he is going to miss training camp so we have no idea how effective he will be when he comes back.

 

And let's say you are a player that is waiting on the bench to play, the guy you are replacing is injured.  Whether he needs surgery or just rehab, he's out for a while.  You go in and play great.  So the other guy comes back and they then just bench you again?  How is that right?  Just because someone is designated "the started" doesn't mean they hold that title in all circumstances.

 

Now - with all of that I think the changes of Eason playing so well they wouldn't put Wentz in is pretty small.  But if it happens then you play him.

 

Would you have pulled Tom Brady out when he took over for Bledsoe?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, joecolts said:

I don't disagree but even depleted, our line & RB's are still are strength, especially with Wentz out.  We must rely upon them until we get healthy.  That means relying on the "next men up" on the left side until Q and Fisher are ready.   

 

Don't really have a choice.  We will absolutely need a strong running game to have a chance.  If we start passing all the time the left side of the line, and Eason, will suffer more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, joecolts said:

I don't disagree but even depleted, our line & RB's are still are strength, especially with Wentz out.  We must rely upon them until we get healthy.  That means relying on the "next men up" on the left side until Q and Fisher are ready.   

Again I am sure they will but we are kidding ourselves if we don’t think the run game is going to struggle some from these injuries as well.  
 

Also next man up is a great saying but the reality is the back ups aren’t in the same league as Q and Fisher.  If they were Q wouldn’t be in line for a massive extension and Fisher wouldn’t have gotten the pretty decent contract he got despite being hurt.  
 

That’s not to say the back ups can’t be effective but superstars are not easily replaced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • He should’ve replaced Vinny.  Vinny was done by that point.  We kept him because of who he was, not because of how he was performing.   Huge, costly mistake by Ballard.
    • Sometime in the ‘70s, the Baltimore Colts were down 21-3 against the Patriots. Colts came back to win.   The 2006 wild card game against the Chiefs. (My wife and I drove to Indy from Delaware to see it).
    • That stings.    Autry was better than he got credit for, and Walker should've never been let go.   Although Okereke has looked slightly better (eye test - but not hard to improve on where he started) that dude needs to step it up big time. I remember seeing Leonard lacing into him on the sidelines and telling him where he should be. 
    • I agree Hines is being used improperly.   I'm gonna let Hines slide on the dropped pass. It was a monsoon, and even though I think he took his eyes off the pass, I'm sure the slippery ball didn't help. I will say he's been playing scared or something lately, but I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong. Even at RB on the handoff, he gets those happy feet that Manning used to.    That said, this team/Reich has got to figure out that Hines and JT are NOT interchangeable. JT is an elite RB between the tackles. We all know Hines is more of a WR than RB and should be used more in the passing game. It drives me insane that he takes JT's snaps and runs up the middle and gets stonewalled most of the time.   I've said this a million times, but line Hines up at WR sometimes.....good things would happen. Or put both JT and Hines back there and roll them out for passes. At least one of them would be covered by a LB, and they would blow right by them.    I'm a big fan of Mack, but I don't like him taking snaps from JT unless JT is gassed from a long run. 
    • 11-2 this week.. alot of bye teams huh.  Ravens and Panthers got me. I'm done picking the Panthers
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...