Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if Eason turns out to be pretty good


Recommended Posts

What if Eason turns out to be a good QB. He gets better as the preseason concludes and he wins the first game against Seattle. Do you still just give the job to Wentz who is on a long comeback trail. 

 

Do not forget Eason was a high recruit coming out of HS. He started fo GA as a Freshman and did well. He made a mistake picking Washington as a transfer location. Play on West Coast and no premire talent. He can make all the throws he just needs a lot of coaching. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

What if Eason turns out to be a good QB. He gets better as the preseason concludes and he wins the first game against Seattle. Do you still just give the job to Wentz who is on a long comeback trail. 

 

Do not forget Eason was a high recruit coming out of HS. He started fo GA as a Freshman and did well. He made a mistake picking Washington as a transfer location. Play on West Coast and no premire talent. He can make all the throws he just needs a lot of coaching. 

You want to abandon Wentz if Eason wins the first game?    That’s it?!?    Nothing more?

 

if Wentz misses the first four games and Eason wins three of them — not the Colts won three — but we’re clearly winning due to Eason’s brilliant play,  then you have a nice problem to have.  
 

But one regular season game?    Means nothing.    And looking good in the pre-season means even less.    So far, on balance, from what I read,  Eason has not looked good.   He’s got to get better in a hurry. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

In all seriousness, we better run the ball. A lot. 

Some of us were chatting about this very topic in another thread. If Eason turns out to be anything like Herbert or Russell, you tell Wentz to be his loudest cheerleader.

 

And even with Wentz at QB, I think the plan was to run the ball heavily, and i agree with it 100%. I didnt think Carson was ready for a pass heavy offense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You want to abandon Wentz if Eason wins the first game?    That’s it?!?    Nothing more?

 

if Wentz misses the first four games and Eason wins three of them — not the Colts won three — but we’re clearly winning due to Eason’s brilliant play,  then you have a nice problem to have.  
 

But one regular season game?    Means nothing.    And looking good in the ore-season means even less.    So far, on balance, from what I read,  Eason has not looked good.   He’s got to get better in a hurry. 

 

The point some other former and I were discussing in the other thread was if Eason plays like Herbert did last year. If the Colts are 0-4 but Eason plays like Herbert were it's clear you have a serious talent, what do you do. I'd be team #9 ALL DAY. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

 

The point some other former and I were discussing in the other thread was if Eason plays like Herbert did last year. If the Colts are 0-4 but Eason plays like Herbert were it's clear you have a serious talent, what do you do. I'd be team #9 ALL DAY. 

 

If the talent is clear, obvious and undeniable then yes,  I’d be on Team Eason too.    But we appear to be miles and miles and miles from that.  
 

The early buzz on Eason is not good.  He has not impressed much.    So imagining these Herbert-like scenarios seems like we’re putting the cart before the horse.   Or, in our case,  the cart before the Colt!   (Sorry.) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the talent is clear, obvious and undeniable then yes,  I’d be on Team Eason too.    But we appear to be miles and miles and miles from that.  
 

The early buzz on Eason is not good.  He has not impressed much.    So imagining these Herbert-like scenarios seems like we’re putting the cart before the horse.   Or, in our case,  the cart before the Colt!   (Sorry.) 

 

Oh for sure. I think I finally left that conversation saying it was all really a long ways away from where we are right now. Herbert tore that camp up from early in. Mahomes was running Chiefs camp and destroying 1st team defense with the scout team, he was always gold. With Eason, there'd literally have to be a rocket ship elevator taking him from where he is now to the place we're debating in this thread. We are all tantalized by the arm but in reality he may be a worse option than Sam Ehlinger, actually to me that's realistically probably a higher likelihood than what we're discussing here

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I just went and played with him as QB1 on Madden. 

 

It didn't go well.

 

Cancel the season. 

Try again and play as a rookie level.....also modify Eason"s player ratings.  Just remember 99 ability ratings are your friends.   haha

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If he turns out to be Russel Wilson 2.0 you do what the Seahawks did.  Stick with the young guy and just move on from the vet.  With that said I don’t expect that to happen.  

Agreed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

In all seriousness, we better run the ball. A lot. 

Especially considering we have 4 very capable backs. We don’t need to overuse just 1 RB like Tennessee has with Henry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

I trust Reich to get the most out of Eason. 

The worst case is that Reich has to *-down the plays and we end up with Jacoby 2.0.

 

 

Coming out of the draft Eason was thought of as a 2nd round prospect and drew some comparisons to Carson Palmer. Just needs quality QB coaching which Indy definitely has. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Oh for sure. I think I finally left that conversation saying it was all really a long ways away from where we are right now. Herbert tore that camp up from early in. Mahomes was running Chiefs camp and destroying 1st team defense with the scout team, he was always gold. With Eason, there'd literally have to be a rocket ship elevator taking him from where he is now to the place we're debating in this thread. We are all tantalized by the arm but in reality he may be a worse option than Sam Ehlinger, actually to me that's realistically probably a higher likelihood than what we're discussing here

I would take Eason all day everyday over Eghlinger. I think Eason could certainly be better than Brissett if given the reps and he works his butt off. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would take Eason all day everyday over Eghlinger. I think Eason could certainly be better than Brissett if given the reps and he works his butt off. 

Eason has the arm and size while Ehlinger can read defenses has much better mobility and much more experience at the college level. Jacob has the higher ceiling while Sam the higher floor. Next several weeks hopefully one distances themselves and we dont end up with Hundley whom has shown in the past he is not an NFL QB

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I would take Eason all day everyday over Eghlinger. I think Eason could certainly be better than Brissett if given the reps and he works his butt off. 

From the college games I watched, I would take Ehlinger over Eason. He doesn't have the fantastic upside of Eason but I saw him trade blows with Murray and best him. I saw him go toe to toe with Burrow in the season when Burrow was a god. When it comes to the tape, I don't think Eason can match Ehlinger, when it comes to big game performance, performances against quality D1 schools, will to win, those intangibles (and heck even the tangibles), I think Ehlinger was the better guy in college.

It's all subjective of course but that first OU/Texas game in 2018, Ehlinger wasn't losing that game. When Ballard said the things he said about Ehlinger post-draft, I knew instantly what he meant, whatever 'it' is, the kid has it. 

 

Now, sure Eason has the upside, and maybe he has a Josh Allen transformation (though Allen always had that FACT that he could scramble as a fallback and Eason isnt really a scrambler) but right now, the only thing Eason has over Ehlinger is the eye test. He looks the part (whatever the heck that means) and carries a rocket for an arm, and people have been tantalized by him since high school though not a single coach has been able to unlock that magic apple in the kid, we will see.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to say probably not. Haven't been to camp but it looks like he's only completing about half of his passes. Could be drops from the receivers, maybe? I wouldn't put much stock in him but I think we'd run the ball a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the talent is clear, obvious and undeniable then yes,  I’d be on Team Eason too.    But we appear to be miles and miles and miles from that.  
 

The early buzz on Eason is not good.  He has not impressed much.    So imagining these Herbert-like scenarios seems like we’re putting the cart before the horse.   Or, in our case,  the cart before the Colt!   (Sorry.) 

 

Yeah, I think some people are imbibing a lot of hopium when it comes to Eason.  It’s understandable — we draft a QB and he becomes a cipher because of no preseason games last year…so his capability as an NFL quarterback becomes a matter of everybody’s imagination.

 

And guess where many fans’ imagination lead.

 

The fact that we signed Hundley after Wentz went down should be enough cold water to temper these expectations.

 

My hope is that Wentz is back healthy ASAP.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shive changed the title to What if Eason turns out to be pretty good
12 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Some of us were chatting about this very topic in another thread. If Eason turns out to be anything like Herbert or Russell, you tell Wentz to be his loudest cheerleader.

 

And even with Wentz at QB, I think the plan was to run the ball heavily, and i agree with it 100%. I didnt think Carson was ready for a pass heavy offense.

 

This is exactly the blueprint that turned Russel Wilson into the player he is today. Through Wilsons first few seasons that team won on great defense and a top 1-2 run game behind Marshawn all of which built Wilsons confidence along the way. The Colts have the exact recipe (not quite on D IMO) which gives me huge optimism with any QB we put out there because they dont have to be the reason we win. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mitch Connors said:

 

This is exactly the blueprint that turned Russel Wilson into the player he is today. Through Wilsons first few seasons that team won on great defense and a top 1-2 run game behind Marshawn all of which built Wilsons confidence along the way. The Colts have the exact recipe (not quite on D IMO) which gives me huge optimism with any QB we put out there because they dont have to be the reason we win. 

 

I hear you. My thing with Eason is, apart from the eye test metrics, is there anything else to him? Russell was a BALLER in college, at two schools. The only question marks with him were size related, coaches didnt have to tease anything out. He also got better each year in college. Was that Eason's college tale? Can we honestly say that?

If there's a current Colts QB (not named Carson Wentz) who has a story close to Wilson, it's Ehlinger.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

Is the thread title an answer to a Jeopardy question "Georgia QBs in the NFL that may surprise you" for 400, please??? :) 

I already updated the thread title, so now your joke doesn't make sense.

 Sorry Joey Tribbiani GIF

 

41 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

The fact that we signed Hundley after Wentz went down should be enough cold water to temper these expectations.

Apparently the team had already been in contact with Hundley before Wentz went down and he was already in the Covid protocol, which is why he was able to be at training camp the same day he was signed. I think they saw him as an upgrade over at least Morton and someone that could possibly push Eason and Ehlinger.

 

1 minute ago, Mitch Connors said:

 

This is exactly the blueprint that turned Russel Wilson into the player he is today. Through Wilsons first few seasons that team won on great defense and a top 1-2 run game behind Marshawn all of which built Wilsons confidence along the way. The Colts have the exact recipe (not quite on D IMO) which gives me huge optimism with any QB we put out there because they dont have to be the reason we win. 

Wilson was a much different QB prospect than Eason though, and actually, quite the opposite. Wilson was known as an extremely high football IQ player, who could make all of the throws, but was deemed "too short" and fell on draft day. Eason has nowhere near the starting experience and hasn't shown anywhere near the football IQ (on field) as Wilson, but he has the size and the arm.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

I already updated the thread title, so now your joke doesn't make sense.

 

 

Boo to you then. :thmdown:

 

:) :) 

 

I shall quote my own reply and explain the joke then. :) 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Is the thread title an answer to a Jeopardy question "Georgia QBs in the NFL that may surprise you" for 400, please??? :) 

 

Just FYI, the original thread title was:

 

"What is Eason turns out to be pretty good"

 

@Shive had to ruin the fun of this grammar/spelling police by changing the title, haha. haha It is all good man.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Aaron Rodgers is back for Jeopardy lmao 

 

Now  the next question on Jeopardy will be "Green Bay Packers QBs unhappy with management" for 800, please??? :) 

 

This Green Bay Packers QB was so unhappy with management that he decided to sign with a division rival....

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Colts have a tough schedule this year.   Start with:

Seahawks

Rams

Titans

Dolphins

Ravens

 

I was hoping to be 3-2 or 2-3 after that stretch.   Now I'm thinking they will go 1-4.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Shive said:

 

Apparently the team had already been in contact with Hundley before Wentz went down and he was already in the Covid protocol, which is why he was able to be at training camp the same day he was signed. I think they saw him as an upgrade over at least Morton and someone that could possibly push Eason and Ehlinger.

 

OK, hadn't seen that.  But whenever they contacted Hundley and whenever they pulled the trigger, it still intimates a lack of confidence in what they have backing Wentz up.  Hundley has been a mediocre NFL quarterback.  But at least he has some game experience.  Would we have brought him or somebody like him in if Brissett was still here?

 

Look, I'm not dogging on Eason (or Ehlinger) -- although it might sound like I am.  I'm just trying to push back on what I see as some awfully flighty hopes about what Eason will show once he finally gets his chance on the field.  And the only way I can explain that is that he's a cipher of a player for us fans -- which makes him ripe to be looked at through rose-colored glasses.  We don't have anything tangible to judge his capabilities by, so we tend to insert something ideal.

 

The reality is that the FO and coaching staff have been taking actions (drafting Ehlinger, signing Hundley) that don't suggest a high degree of confidence in his current capabilities.  But they have also kept him around and on the active roster, which suggests that they think there's some unrealized potential there. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would be a very good problem to have. If Eason is playing very well and it's been a handful of games into the season, what is the argument of going back to Wentz (when we haven't even seen him yet).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Im talking about the 4th and 4 call they suggest improved our odds of winning by 13%.   We took a delay of game and punted in that sequence.
    • Ok but we are getting into the weeds there.   "Expected value" is not a term I personally like the sound of, and to me, seems like a way of polishing a turd.    Im more of a "if I make this decision and it works, this is what I get as a result" type of guy.   Handling the unexpected is a key to winning and what seperates coaches from good coaches. And creating your own adversity is never a good thing.    Heres the simplest way I can explain it.....   If I am after sex, and only ask girls out that are drunk, look at me and bite their lip.......and never get rejected, am I really as irresistible as I feel??? Or am I just good at making choices that lead me to where I get what I want? And how much do I increase my odds of getting herpes in this process?    So, if I am up 14 in the 3rd quarter and decide to go for it on 4th down and 1, because I like the matchup and i dont think they can stop me, and Im successful........did I win because I went for it on that 4th down? Maybe not. But the stat still gets charted and used down the road to suggest that decision heavily weighted my odds of winning......when in reality it was likely completely insignificant.   These decisions are usually made when you deem the odds favorable, so is it even a true representation of the odds when hou apply it to every situation? Of course not.    
    • Yup, and they tie the use of their products with the word "smart".   A person is smarter if they use analytics.  When in fact, the industry of processing stats is a money making industry on its own....of course they want their customers to think of themselves as being smarter than the folks who don't use their products.  Its a common sense marketing ploy.   Young males tend to be influenced by that kind of product/image association.  Not to go OT, but Congress had to step in when it involves something harmful, like Cigarettes.
    • I don't expect great numbers from most kickers over 50.   Do you have the stats for 40-50? Now that would be interesting. 
  • Members

    • #12.

      #12. 1,263

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ar7

      ar7 390

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • John Waylon

      John Waylon 2,544

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cbear

      cbear 446

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jvan1973

      jvan1973 6,548

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • shasta519

      shasta519 3,461

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MPStack

      MPStack 4,411

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Wentzszn

      Wentzszn 15,494

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 9,700

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Btown_Colt

      Btown_Colt 532

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...