• Teddy Bridgewater
    • Drew Lock
  2. 2. New Orleans

• Jameis Winston
    • Taysom Hill
  3. 3. Chicago

• Andy Dalton
    • Justin Fields

Not as many big battles as years past but many smaller ones...

I feel Lock's upside gives him a leg up on Teddy, Winston experience much greater then Hill who is still part gadget player and Dalton and Fields too close to call though Andy could start the first few.

A few others less up in the air are :

Pats with Cam likely starting over Mac Jones 

Garropolo in San Fran over Lance

Hurts getting the nod over Mullen and Flacco in Philly

,Fitz over Kyle Allen and Heincke in Wash

Taylor over Mills and Driskell in Houston

Bridgewater, Hill, Dalton for opening day.

But I feel equally if not more confident that Dalton will eventually be benched in favor of Fields.  In a QB battle coaches almost always go with the more experienced player for opening day but they will bench them for less experienced players if they start losing.

Hill. . . I think Sean Payton has intended all along that Hill would be his next franchise QB.  He paid Hill like it and gave Winston backup money.

Bridgewater over Lock.  I think they are just tired of Lock and will give Bridgewater the start.  Again I can't guarantee that he keeps it.  

To add to all of this, there's Dak Prescott who in addition to coming back from that horrible ankle injury, is now dealing with a throwing shoulder strain and they're now taking a step back in his timetable to return... I believe McCarthy stated they're being "conservative to avoid causing the injury to become more serious". He was able to practice in pads this week, but he has not thrown. 

This will certainly be something to watch over the next few weeks, as we Colts fans have seen this song and dance before. 

On 8/5/2021 at 7:41 PM, RollerColt said:

To add to all of this, there's Dak Prescott who in addition to coming back from that horrible ankle injury, is now dealing with a throwing shoulder strain and they're now taking a step back in his timetable to return... I believe McCarthy stated they're being "conservative to avoid causing the injury to become more serious". He was able to practice in pads this week, but he has not thrown. 

This will certainly be something to watch over the next few weeks, as we Colts fans have seen this song and dance before. 

Jep, getting Luck vibes on this one…

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 11:40 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Bridgewater over Lock.  I think they are just tired of Lock and will give Bridgewater the start.  Again I can't guarantee that he keeps it.  

I hope so but the fans seem to want Lock. Teddy has looked a bit better. I'm rooting for him. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is how I voted. 

@EastStreet What are your thoughts on topic? How would you vote?

NO is really easy to me. Been saying Winston will be a good fit with Payton for a while, and he has needed to get out of the risk-it-biscuit O for a long time.

Bears is a rough one. Fields at this stage certainly has the highest ceiling, and is their future. Dalton is not a bad QB though in the right situation. Overall, specific to the Bears situation, I'd let Dalton start vs the Rams. No way I want to give Fields PTSD from the LAR DL... Let Dalton start, and gradually bring Fields in.

Broncos are another tough one. I think the Broncos want to win now, so will go with Teddy. I'm guessing they want to get back to their style of O (running and playing D). Lock had a rough go last year, but also had a bottom 5ish OL, and relied on a rook WR as his #1 with Sutton out. Not sure what they've done to improve their OL situation, but I'm guessing TB gives them the best chance to win this year. I don't think he'll be a long term answer though. Lock needs a fresh start somewhere else IMO. I'm gonna bet Denver is QB hunting at the end of the season.

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm gonna bet Denver is QB hunting at the end of the season.

Thanks. We agree on who starts.

It seems that Denver is always QB shopping. No? The new GM was the assistant GM for the Vikings for many years. I was not surprised he signed Teddy. But I don't believe it will be his decision who starts. 

I think Winston can win with the Saints. He needs to keep the INTs down. 

Is Alex Smith starting anywhere? He is another QB I am rooting for. 

20 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. We agree on who starts.

It seems that Denver is always QB shopping. No? The new GM was the assistant GM for the Vikings for many years. I was not surprised he signed Teddy. But I don't believe it will be his decision who starts. 

I think Winston can win with the Saints. He needs to keep the INTs down. 

Is Alex Smith starting anywhere? He is another QB I am rooting for. 

Smith is retired and has a gig with ESPN now.

I think the scheme change itself will cut down on Winston's INTs. 

IMO, Broncos will make a big move at QB when the time is right. Pretty clear they were trying to grab Watson before massage-gate-part-2 lol.... IMO, they made a huge mistake not grabbing Fields.

I went Teddy, Winston, and Fields. I heard Dalton is starting though lmao . I would start Fields. I am not a huge fan of Fields, he could be great or could be bad?? Having said that, not a fan of Dalton, never have been. He has been an above average QB (better than average) throughout his career but 0 playoff wins. I say put the rook out there.

6 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I kind of cheated and voted after I knew who won each battle

I Think

I actually did not know who was starting but when I read your comment, I went to check the Broncos depth chart. And yes, Teddy will start. I will be attending the Giants opener and it is against the Broncos. The Vikings play at about the same time (late afternoon game). I will have to watch that game after I return home. 

Bridgewater and Winston are pretty easy choices.   The Bears is a tough one.   It's mixed.   I think Fields is the "starter" but Dalton will start the first couple games.  

The Patriots could have been in this as well as the 49rs.

Archived