Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blitz Blitz Blitz

Knuckles79

All the talk of Coyer bringing more blitzing to our team i am sure praying we get to see it this year hopefully we will not be able to use injuries as a excuse this year. I would love to see some on them 3rd and long instead of sitting in soft zone to be picked apart! Not saying change it altogether just hope we get to mix it up a lil this year if healthy what do you guys think

All the talk of Coyer bringing more blitzing to our team i am sure praying we get to see it this year hopefully we will not be able to use injuries as a excuse this year. I would love to see some on them 3rd and long instead of sitting in soft zone to be picked apart! Not saying change it altogether just hope we get to mix it up a lil this year if healthy what do you guys think

would be great to see that, but don't bet on it. i would love to see us move away from the the tampa 2.

it is old school D. I cant think of to many teams using it. We are a top 10 defense away from being hard to handle.

all the good playoff teams have an attacking D. IT IS A MUST IN TODAYS NFL. JMO

would be great to see that, but don't bet on it. i would love to see us move away from the the tampa 2.

it is old school D. I cant think of to many teams using it. We are a top 10 defense away from being hard to handle

the bears and vikings seem to excel with this defense

I'm not sure actually. If Nevis, Hughes, and Harris are as good as they look so far in camp, we might actually get enough pressure with our front 4 that we don't really have to blitz.

It really depends on the D-line.

That would be wicked! Just imagine if we could get lots of pressure with our front 4 and could have everyone else cover. Now imagine if we got lots of pressure with our front 4 and decided to blitz anyway, those are QBs nightmares!

Coyer was a very aggressive coach in Denver, doing a lot of blitzes. The Colts aren't a big blitz team, but maybe that will change because he's been with the team for a couple of years and he's getting more comfortable with the team.

its not coyer guys its the personal open yall eyes

marlin's gone safty palying corner not good in man coverage

hayden's gone (same as above)

bob's gone (suspect in pass coverage)

when u are shifting defence style it takes a couple years to get the right people

for your defence

powers is good man corner

tryon same

lacey ok

kevin thomas good bump an run corner

rucker same as thomas

you can blitz if you dont have the people to cover

coyers first year powers and hayden played for the most part with lacey in when need

coyers second year powers and hayden hurt have to rely on back ups

now we have some more cover guys and two good safteys in coverage in bullitt and beatha

i think he can be more aggressive

with sims and conner, angerer and bracket speed we should be flying on d

its not coyer guys its the personal open yall eyes

marlin's gone safty palying corner not good in man coverage

hayden's gone (same as above)

bob's gone (suspect in pass coverage)

when u are shifting defence style it takes a couple years to get the right people

for your defence

powers is good man corner

tryon same

lacey ok

kevin thomas good bump an run corner

rucker same as thomas

you can blitz if you dont have the people to cover

coyers first year powers and hayden played for the most part with lacey in when need

coyers second year powers and hayden hurt have to rely on back ups

now we have some more cover guys and two good safteys in coverage in bullitt and beatha

i think he can be more aggressive

with sims and conner, angerer and bracket speed we should be flying on d

First of all this team is NOT changing D style. Secondly jax, Hayden, and Sanders were all HUGE contributors to a Super Bowl champion. A team that .... by the way did not blitz much at all, and whose issue was run D. When they started stopping the run the team went on a serious roll.

I have no idea how the Colts D will turn out this year but I guarantee you if Jax, Hayden and Sanders all could have stayed healthy they would all still be here starting.

First of all this team is NOT changing D style. Secondly jax, Hayden, and Sanders were all HUGE contributors to a Super Bowl champion. A team that .... by the way did not blitz much at all, and whose issue was run D. When they started stopping the run the team went on a serious roll.

I have no idea how the Colts D will turn out this year but I guarantee you if Jax, Hayden and Sanders all could have stayed healthy they would all still be here starting.

I dont want our d to change completely i just wish we would blitz more then we have been they blamed injuries last year i just hope we stay healthy and blitz some. Another note no need to blitz against groosman and the bears in SB he turned it over anyway he just plain sucks at QB and yes Bob Sanders is a beast i dont say the same for Hayden he was way over paid and over rated to me.

I'm not sure we are going to blitz much at all this year. We have brought in Harris, Anderson, and Nevis to help aid in collapsing the pocket. I always look at the jets when I have this argument because they blitz more than any team in the NFL. The reason they are able to blitz so frequently and efficiently is because they have Revis and Cromarti. Both are very very good and shutting down their opponents. We do not have the likes of Revis or Cromarti on our roster. I feel Powers is coming along, and he will solidify himself as the #1 cb for us this year. Lacey and Tryon and I uncertain on. It seems to me like they are always 10 yards or so off of the line of scrimmage, and that is with help over the top and in the middle of the field. I think Rucker could be used later on in the season in a blitzing situation because, as mentioned above, he was a good B&R coverage corner at Mich State.

I feel that we should blitz only a hand full of times a game just to keep the opposing QB on his toes, but we do not need to get carried away with it because I don't feel we have the personnel to do it effectively.

I do think our undertackle depth with Moala, Harris, Foster and Nevis looks like could do some damage if they deliver on the field like they have been expected to. Passing teams like the Saints, Patriots will test that pass rush down the middle by passing on early downs and it would be nice to beat one-on-ones with guards and/or centers down the middle from the DT position. A few tipped balls and/or a few sacks from the middle would really bolster the morale of the defense. Plus, instead of stunting Freeney and Mathis to free them up from double teams, why not line them next to each other with Freeney going against a less athletic guard vs a tackle for a few plays while Mathis is still lined up as DE?

I was looking at the Top 10 NFL Innovations on NFL Network and the zone blitz coined by Dick LeBeau was deemed the top innovation. A lot of cases, the pressure comes from the LBs on the outside or DBs from the outside while a DT or DE drops back in coverage, typically in a 3-4 rendering it a 2 man front effectively.

Given the fact that we have small agile D-linemen in a Tampa 2, have coaches ever given thought to that? Has it been done before by teams playing Tampa 2? If Haloti Ngata and other big D-linemen like B.J.Raji recently in the NFCCG have done so for a few plays to surprise the QB by dropping back in coverage (and even getting INTs), a guy like Foster can easily drop back in coverage, IMO. It is just the element of surprise that seems to get QBs more often than you think.

A few tweaks here and there, and it will make our D less predictable. We don't have to go Blitzburgh on offenses, just throw in a few tweaks so that offenses cannot get comfortable. Besides, it is always nice to force a QB to thread the needle if you do have the CB to jam a wideout and play closer, instead of giving a huge cushion consistently.

No matter how good your front four are, sometimes you just have to blitz. No two ways about it. When it's measured and well placed, it can win you games (won us the Pats game in 2009; won the Saints the Super Bowl; helped the Giants knock the Pats off in 2007). When it's reckless, it can get picked apart (the Jets in the 2009 AFCCG). Even though our base defense relies on pressure from the linemen, bringing pressure and playing close on receivers is something that must be worked in situationally in order for our defense to excel.