Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz Injury Thread

runthepost

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The already very tough schedule just got tougher. With so much talent on the team it is a waste not to have a top rated QB to et them over the top. I am not saying Wentz is or was the answer but Ballard is going to have to pull a Chris Angel to resolve the QB position.

So much talent? Was this team a SB roster?

QB was a question mark always. It was a hope and prayer.

We had no pass rush, we lost #2 and #3 and replaced them with draft picks who always need time to come into their own (heck, one of the guys may not even play this season). We're hoping some of the young incumbents show MAJOR growth this year but again, that's another hope and prayer.

WR? Again, a hope and prayer. There're no top WRs on this team. Nobody who's making DCs quake in their boots, we know we have a deep roster but not a single player who has stood out.

CB? We have Kenny....we hope Rhodes can be what he was last year, we HOPE we can get something out of Rock.

You get the point. At some of the most important skill positions, this roster is unproven. It was never just a QB away. Sure, if you have a transcendent QB like Luck, it covers up roster gaps but how many teams have that? Wentz wasn't that. Not that I have ever seen.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree! We have high hopes, but this team does have many question marks. The most important position was always a huge one. Our hopes for a great possible season now may end very quickly with the tough schedule early on. Think most like myself was wanting just a fair shake for once. Seems as this team is just snake bitten. Sometimes I  believe the pats put some sort of hex on this organization.  We surround their QB with question marks and we can't keep one since. Crazy thought I know. 

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This should be correct, but it's an opportunity for someone like RG3 to rehab the idea that he could be a backup.

Someone will want the gig if it's available. I'd rather just look at Eason tbh, he could be the future even if the odds aren't great on that front. I dig his arm and I'm guessing if he leaned on the run game and the D showed up, he could manage a W against a mediocre team, unfortunately the Colts don't have any of those to start the season. 

Eason would be fine the offense did okay with jacoby barely throwing 150 yards a game .  Colts can make Eason a game manager with deep shots off play action like the Titans did with tannehill 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Then why did they trade for him to begin with?

To make a deep playoff run . Without him we can still win games 

2 hours ago, ColtMan said:

Yes, the sky will be falling.  And I agree, we can’t tell how good he will be at this point.  I just don’t think very many realize how far he still has to go to be back up level qb.

He is already the backup.   So he doesn't have far to go.   He is there already

Give me Eason please. I hate the idea of signing a vet for a miracle SB run. Wouldn't Eason also bring that unrealistic of a possibility with him? 

There is more to gain by finding out what Eason can do than to let someone else lose for us. 

Wentz' health was the biggest risk for me. Not looking good for what, 2nd day of practice? 

For those that remember, this was what it was like when we had Bob sanders. You watched every training camp hoping he would make it to game 1. Sometimes he did. Sometimes he didn't. But he had only one full season ever. 

I hope Wentz isn't the same but this doesn't give me much hope. 

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

It’s weird, because I hope we get to see Eason as a starter too if/while Wentz is out. Wanna see what we have in him.

I just think he’s gonna be borderline awful. The hope would be that he improves over time but that’s not a given.

I do think with this run game it would take a lot of pressure off him. Play action should work well. Reich should be able to put him in a good position.

Eason does seem very mature and chill.  I don’t think moment will be too big for him. 

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I do think with this run game it would take a lot of pressure off him. Play action should work well. Reich should be able to put him in a good position.

Eason does seem very mature and chill.  I don’t think moment will be too big for him. 

If Ballard signs a vet i will go nuts 

33 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

LMAO

Can you imagine that? A guy that's bombing badly in GB coming here jumping established guys? Rogers basically has a 1 year and out contract. So if GB is even thinking of moving Love that has to tell you that he's REALLY bombing. No thank you, not even slightly interested.

The Colts may add a vet but i believe that'd happen after TC. They'll give Eason and Ehlinger the full chance to show what they have in TC, heck they might roll with these guys into preseason just to see. The list of available options to trade for reads like a who's who of QBs who will guarantee you a 5-12 season, none of them is great. 

50 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is already the backup.   So he doesn't have far to go.   He is there already

When I say backup, I am talking about in the top 32 of backup qbs.  Just because he MIGHT be the best we have does not make him a legitimate back up.  At this point, if the regular season was starting, he would not be our backup.  We would bring in someone else.  

TRADE FOR NICK FOLES. You just can't count on Carson Wentz. Ballard and Reich can save their 1st RD 2022 pick and pay Nick his $7M deal. Make him a 2 year contract. To me that is a no brainer. The benefit is that Foles has an entire preseason to tune up with the Colts players. Nick is a great locker rooom guy as well. 

1 minute ago, AustexColt said:

TRADE FOR NICK FOLES. You just can't count on Carson Wentz. Ballard and Reich can save their 1st RD 2022 pick and pay Nick his $7M deal. Make him a 2 year contract. To me that is a no brainer. The benefit is that Foles has an entire preseason to tune up with the Colts players. Nick is a great locker rooom guy as well. 

Wentz is probably only going to miss two or three games.

I can’t take anyone that thinks we should trade for a vet QB seriously. Colts are going to be down either a first or second next year why waste more picks on a Vet for 2-3 games makes no sense. Let’s roll with Eason until Wentz fully heals not complicated lol.

13 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

No. H e double hockey sticks no

12 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Wentz is probably only going to miss two or three games.

Even if he’s out the season, who cares how many games we win.  We’d get our 1 back and it’d likely set us up for the future as it’d be higher than we’ve been since Nelson

40 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Can you imagine that? A guy that's bombing badly in GB coming here jumping established guys? Rogers basically has a 1 year and out contract. So if GB is even thinking of moving Love that has to tell you that he's REALLY bombing. No thank you, not even slightly interested.

It’s fake. Shefter hasn’t mentioned anything about Love leaving the Packers. 

Just some data I did a quick research on.

POSITIVES

—Arm strength ranks as the best some scouts have ever seen.

—He can easily hit deep comebacks on a line with tight velocity and has the power to push the ball vertically. He can stretch the field to lengths most quarterbacks cannot.

—Has the ability to thread the ball into tight windows and can make "wow" throws that leave you shaking your head.

—As an athlete, he uses his 6'5", 237-pound frame well and can run over or around defenders.

—On the move, can make throws without having to reset his feet and is able to still throw with power while rolling left or right.

—He has played in a pro-style offense and worked under center.

NEGATIVES
—Film shows poor decisions and errant passes where the ball gets away from him.

—His subpar completion percentage (56 percent) can be attributed to poor decisions, passes thrown too hard, drops and plain misses.

—When he misses, he tends to miss big and often throws high on crossing routes.

—His footwork needs to be refined so that he's stepping into throws and aligning his lower body with his shoulders—an issue a lot of "arm" throwers have.

—He leaves a clean pocket too often (not trusting his offensive line) and will extend plays instead of throwing the ball away, which can lead to lost yards.

STRENGTHS

—Prototypical pocket passer with a big frame and a strong arm.

—Big throw after big throw on tape highlights arm strength and deep-ball mentality.

—Able to throw with enough heat to beat defenders to openings; arm talent can save him on late reads. 

—Gorgeous deep-ball thrower.

—Excellent on play action with a good drop step and easy setup motion.

—Steps up well in the pocket and keeps eyes locked downfield to launch rockets.

WEAKNESSES

—Scouts complain about immaturity and a need to take football more seriously.

—Struggled when facing the best defenses in the Pac-12; turnovers and accuracy issues showed up against good cornerbacks.

—Started only two seasons in college because of injury (2017) and transfer (2018) and has limited development within his offensive system.

—Pocket poise is iffy and inconsistent. Does not play well in a muddy pocket.

—The least mobile of the top five quarterbacks in the class; will not be able to affect the game as a runner.

—Crumbles against pressure.

—Needs a clean pocket to win.

The first guy is Josh Allen of Buffalo.  He is now looked at as one of the best QB's in the league.  Credits his coaching staff to making him how he plays now.  The second guy is Jacob Eason.  Seems we are giving up in him already.  Are you saying the Bills coaching staff is better than ours?  He hasn't played yet but he know the playbook better than any other option available.  Just saying lets see what he can do before we panic.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Even if he’s out the season, who cares how many games we win.  We’d get our 1 back and it’d likely set us up for the future as it’d be higher than we’ve been since Nelson

Yes, but you KNOW what Ballard would do. Trade it for more picks.

8 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I can’t take anyone that thinks we should trade for a vet QB seriously. Colts are going to be down either a first or second next year why waste more picks on a Vet for 2-3 games makes no sense. Let’s roll with Eason until Wentz fully heals not complicated lol.

I was trying to explain to stupid people on Twitter how Eason has thrown to these guys and built relationships and how that was really important. These people are like oh that don’t matter. It does matter. 

I could see a camp body for camp and preseason games. We might get a better idea when Reich can addrsss the media and we have a firm time table.

49 minutes ago, ColtMan said:

When I say backup, I am talking about in the top 32 of backup qbs.  Just because he MIGHT be the best we have does not make him a legitimate back up.  At this point, if the regular season was starting, he would not be our backup.  We would bring in someone else.  

If Carson starts the season,   Eason is the backup.  

45 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I would rather not have our one then a crappy season.

I’d rather have our 1 back than rush Wentz into playing or trading/signing a vet.

this all of course assumes Eason pulls a Curtis Painter type record.

worst case yet would be Wentz playing not at 100 percent, or playing after missing all of TC with a new team, hitting the 75 percent of snap mark that gives the Eagles our 1 and somehow we still end up sub 500. And that number 1 being a top 10 or even top 5 pick

Just now, coming on strong said:

if wentz misses the first game and eason has a great game. i wonder if they keep wentz out to keep our 1st, and let wentz heal fully.

If it were me, I would ride Eason, win or lose until week 6-7. Let Wentz fully heal AND practice with the team once he’s cleared. It of course is easier to do if Eason is producing. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

This crap about Eason is wild. No rookie has nfl experience. They are all unknown. 

Bringing in a camp body is fine. Bringing in a vet to start would just be confusing to players. 

Colts just signed Brett Huntley

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I was trying to explain to stupid people on Twitter how Eason has thrown to these guys and built relationships and how that was really important. These people are like oh that don’t matter. It does matter. 

I could see a camp body for camp and preseason games. We might get a better idea when Reich can addrsss the media and we have a firm time table.

It's not worth your time, the twitterverse isn't known for being able to think logically 

28 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If it were me, I would ride Eason, win or lose until week 6-7. Let Wentz fully heal AND practice with the team once he’s cleared. It of course is easier to do if Eason is producing. 

I was thinking the same thing, obviously it depends on the timeline of his injury but slow playing it, getting our first rounder and letting Wentz get some practices is looking pretty good.

Archived