Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz Injury Thread

runthepost

Hi everybodeeee!

I've been at the State Fair ALL DAY.  And heard the news announcement while I was there.  Unfortunately, that means I wasn't able to participate in this thread the entire time!  Y'all went ahead with the dumpster fire without me!  Waaaa!

Ok, so here's how I think about this development.

We had a puncher's chance at the Superbowl.  We have a lot of good players on this team, and a lot of players that have the potential to be good.  The expectation for this year was winning playoff games.  Not just getting to the playoffs.  Winning playoff games.  Plural.  And -- if everything worked perfectly, and we had no issues, and everyone performed according to their potential -- we had a puncher's chance at the Superbowl.

Now?  Even if Wentz is able to play the first game of the season, he'll have missed nearly all of training camp, and missed all that time getting things sharp with the receivers.  Removing some of that "everything working perfectly" thing I talked about above.  And if he doesn't start the season, game one?  Well, I have to say, and no disrespect to Jacob Eason, but the more games he starts in the regular season, the more real that 9-8 season prediction becomes.

If I were to describe our situation in a movie quote, it comes from Apollo 13:  "Gentlemen, we just lost the moon."

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah pretty bad for Cubs and Colts fans! Knowing our luck, Wentz will be out for the year. 

I was pretty meh when we first traded for Wentz. Then I started to love his chances here. Now I'm creeping back to my original "meh" outlook.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I was pretty meh when we first traded for Wentz. Then I started to love his chances here. Now I'm creeping back to my original "meh" outlook.

His best ball was in 2017 and that was a long time ago. I was always “meh”. 

Excited to see Eason get his reps in. 

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

His best ball was in 2017 and that was a long time ago. I was always “meh”. 

Excited to see Eason get his reps in. 

I still think he can be top 10ish here, if healthy. But the health concern has always been a risk. Oh well. 

If he's going to miss several weeks, I just hope he misses enough to save our 1st round pick..... 

I am very interested to see how Eason does. Also interested to see if they bring in another QB if Wentz is out a chunk.

It's funny how everyone talks about how stacked of a team this is, but when a injury prone QB gets hurt its the end of the world. 

People are forgetting Ballard drafted 2 QBs? It's not like they're 7th rounders either. 

12 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

It's funny how everyone talks about how stacked of a team this is, but when a injury prone QB gets hurt its the end of the world. 

People are forgetting Ballard drafted 2 QBs? It's not like they're 7th rounders either. 

I do think with this run game Eason could be fine. Its just the unknown.

I think bringing in a vet would just create confusion right now. This is Wentz team. He can be the vet support for Eason and Sam. Perhaps since Eason isn’t as mobile as Wentz we use both Eason and Sam.

20 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Yeah one of them was a sixth rounder…

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

lol.... so true

They downplay every injury, as do other ball clubs. Tom Brady had the MCL deal all last season, the Bucs may be in trouble for never even speaking of it. It's the way of NFL teams. From New England to Baltimore to Philly to Indy, they all tend to lean this way. So yes, it's hard to believe anything regarding Wentz until we see it with our own eyes.

22 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I do think with this run game Eason could be fine. Its just the unknown.

I think bringing in a vet would just create confusion right now. This is Wentz team. He can be the vet support for Eason and Sam. Perhaps since Eason isn’t as mobile as Wentz we use both Eason and Sam.

I think he could be serviceable. At least Jacoby level of play. Which isn't the best but you can win games. To be honest I'm not expecting this to be a long injury for Wentz. He doesn't even seem to strain after the play it supposedly happened on. 

12 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think he could be serviceable. At least Jacoby level of play. Which isn't the best but you can win games. To be honest I'm not expecting this to be a long injury for Wentz. He doesn't even seem to strain after the play it supposedly happened on. 

Bowen did mention looking back yesterday he  might of been walking a little awkward when he was talking to Stacey Dales after practice yesterday. Everyone forgets this is a good solid team. Eason would have lots of support and Reich wouldn’t put too much on his shoulders. Unless this was a season ending injury I don’t see what a vet accomplished.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I was the same way. At first I didn't want Wentz (didn't like the trade - I posted that in here), then a lot of people were being positive in here so I didn't want to be that guy haha because I am normally positive. I actually started to warm to the idea with getting Wentz and who knows he may end up being ok and play all season?? He may have a good season, then again he may be out for a while? To be honest and I am even record saying this, I hated to see Rivers retire. I was hoping he would give us 1 more good year then we draft a QB in 2022. Rivers was good last year despite what some people think about him. We were 11-5 with him and almost beat Buffalo in the playoffs. Rivers brought leadership/durability to the team and statistically he was good, facts back that up = 4168 yards, 24 TD's and only 11 INT's. He also completed 68% of his passes. It is what it is for now.

28 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

They downplay every injury, as do other ball clubs. Tom Brady had the MCL deal all last season, the Bucs may be in trouble for never even speaking of it. It's the way of NFL teams. From New England to Baltimore to Philly to Indy, they all tend to lean this way. So yes, it's hard to believe anything regarding Wentz until we see it with our own eyes.

Yup. I've never trusted coach speak in the area of injuries.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was the same way. At first I didn't want Wentz (didn't like the trade - I posted that in here), then a lot of people were being positive in here so I didn't want to be that guy haha because I am normally positive. I actually started to warm to the idea with getting Wentz and who knows he may end up being ok and play all season?? He may have a good season, then again he may be out for a while? To be honest and I am even record saying this, I hated to see Rivers retire. I was hoping he would give us 1 more good year then we draft a QB in 2022. Rivers was good last year despite what some people think about him. We were 11-5 with him and almost beat Buffalo in the playoffs. Rivers brought leadership/durability to the team and statistically he was good, facts back that up = 4168 yards, 24 TD's and only 11 INT's. He also completed 68% of his passes. It is what it is for now.

Rivers played very very well last year. Anyone who says differently is going against stats, and most expert's opinions.... I too was hoping to get another year from him, but I understand why they wanted to solve for the position long term. 

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Bowen did mention looking back yesterday he  might of been walking a little awkward when he was talking to Stacey Dales after practice yesterday. Everyone forgets this is a good solid team. Eason would have lots of support and Reich wouldn’t put too much on his shoulders. Unless this was a season ending injury I don’t see what a vet accomplished.

Also Eason had all season last year to memorize the playbook. If you think about it he shouldn't really have to hold back too much. I'm thinking the gameplan would look a little more similar to a Rivers gameplan. Plus a deepshot or two. My main concern is going to be his timing through the progressions. If we start holding the ball with a weak LT it is going to get ugly. Especially if we end up with Pinter somewhere along the interior at some point during the season. 

16 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Also Eason had all season last year to memorize the playbook. If you think about it he shouldn't really have to hold back too much. I'm thinking the gameplan would look a little more similar to a Rivers gameplan. Plus a deepshot or two. My main concern is going to be his timing through the progressions. If we start holding the ball with a weak LT it is going to get ugly. Especially if we end up with Pinter somewhere along the interior at some point during the season. 

Not to mention he has spent a lot of two off seasons with guys like Pittman and Patmon building relationships and throwing with them.  To me not giving him a chance to start if Wentz misses week one is kind of a slap in the face to all the players. No outside vet will have that same chemistry as Eason has.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Not to mention he has spent a lot of two off seasons with guys like Pittman and Patmon building relationships and throwing with them.  To me not giving him a chance to start if Wentz misses week one is kind of a slap in the face to all the players. No outside vet will have that same chemistry as Eason has.

Yeah i really don't think we are signing a QB unless Eason or the dude from Texas get hurt. I don't know where the narrative came from. 

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Think about it, if Ballard and Reich thought highly of Eason we would've never traded for Wentz. Eason was behind arguably a top 20-25 QB of all-time last year in Rivers and a great back-up in Brissett - learning from them. He learned the playbook as well. In year 2 he would be starting if he was any good. Not saying Eason will be bad but him being good is a longshot IMO.

51 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I wonder if he torn his planter fascia which would be a minimum of 3 to 6 weeks and he would have to deal with some pain with different shoes and tape around his foot when he comes back.  

I did that in a half marathon in 2011.  It sucks.  My feet suck although I have this past year fixed them by actually going barefoot a lot of the time and walking with my feet straight.

It’s been rough.

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I did that in a half marathon in 2011.  It sucks.  My feet suck although I have this past year fixed them by actually going barefoot a lot of the time and walking with my feet straight.

It’s been rough.

I figured the @Nicksterwas ready to do this Channing Tatum Dance GIF by TV4- did you run the Mini here in Indy. I ran it 15 years ago, I did it in just over 2 hours. I was sore for 2 or 3 days after words (my feet we were killing me, I went all out) but I was used to running/jogging 5-7 miles a day back then. The mini is 13.3 miles.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Think about it, if Ballard and Reich thought highly of Eason we would've never traded for Wentz. Eason was behind arguably a top 20-25 QB of all-time last year in Rivers and a great back-up in Brissett - learning from them. He learned the playbook as well. In year 2 he would be starting if he was any good. Not saying Eason will be bad but him being good is a longshot IMO.

No that is not true. Lol

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don’t know if you can go well they traded for Wentz so they must not think highly of Eason.  Honestly I think fans were so desperate for the Colts to draft a QB that some have very unrealistic expectations for Eason.  Like Ballard said when he was drafted he was fourth round pick.  I don’t think he was ever expected to be the answer to the starting QB question.  Honestly drafting a QB in the fourth round and expecting him to one day be your franchise QB is a huge unrealistic ask.  Sure it does happen but when it does it’s almost always a surprise.  I think he was drafted to be the future back up QB and the fact that Ballard didn’t feel the need to go get a vet back up QB this off-season means they think he’s on track to be that.  

So I think the Colts feel like Eason is living up to their expectations.  Is he living up to what some fans expected of him?  Probably not but I question how realistic some of those expectations were to start with.  

You all looking at this all wrong. Wentz getting hurt, while unfortunate, is not a total panic mode situation. Short term it hurts us, long term, maybe not so much. We potentially get our 1st back and there is a possibility it could be a top 10 pick. To which Ballard likely trades back to get some more ammo unless that pick happens to be high enough to land a potential franchise QB.  Either way, win win. Wentz is under contract for next season so that gives us leeway. 

that said, I will laugh if all this turns out to be is some turf toe. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You all looking at this all wrong. Wentz getting hurt, while unfortunate, is not a total panic mode situation. Short term it hurts us, long term, maybe not so much. We potentially get our 1st back and there is a possibility it could be a top 10 pick. To which Ballard likely trades back to get some more ammo unless that pick happens to be high enough to land a potential franchise QB.  Either way, win win. Wentz is under contract for next season so that gives us leeway. 

that said, I will laugh if all this turns out to be is some turf toe. 

He mentions Turf Toe here  but some kind of fracture.

David J. Chao - ProFootballDoc (@ProFootballDoc) Tweeted:
Good to hear there is hope but sometimes better to cut losses and get right instead of have a problem linger.
https://t.co/cNt8uFVrwS

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know if you can go well they traded for Wentz so they must not think highly of Eason.  Honestly I think fans were so desperate for the Colts to draft a QB that some have very unrealistic expectations for Eason.  Like Ballard said when he was drafted he was fourth round pick.  I don’t think he was ever expected to be the answer to the starting QB question.  Honestly drafting a QB in the fourth round and expecting him to one day be your franchise QB is a huge unrealistic ask.  Sure it does happen but when it does it’s almost always a surprise.  I think he was drafted to be the future back up QB and the fact that Ballard didn’t feel the need to go get a vet back up QB this off-season means they think he’s on track to be that.  

So I think the Colts feel like Eason is living up their expectations.  Is he living up to what some fans expected of him?  Probably not but I question how realistic some of those expectations were to start with.  

Well my post about Eason was mainly about a few in here just think he can come right in and start and be good. That is what I am doubting. If Ballard and Reich thought that was the case, he would've been our starter this season. Maybe that clarifies my post better. I never said Eason should start or even would be bad.

Archived